Regret and Redemption Shamrock 101

pymmdcppymmdcp Members Posts: 262
edited Aug 3, 2018 in Classic Golf And Golfers #1
Someone posted in a thread not too long ago about finding a Shamrock putter. It reminded me that I had a friend buy me one that I later sold and always regretted it. Well, today I found one in beautiful shape.

I also found a Spalding Tour Edition Custom Crafted 4 Iron. Years back I found a complete set and sold it. Always regretted it. It may be my biggest selling regret. It might be the prettiest set of clubs ever IMO.

I thought that would be an interesting discussion. What have you sold that you regret selling. Keep in mind. I found another Shamrock. Redemption is out there. �

Comments

• oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    Well, how bout that. Good show!!! I’m thinking of cutting mine down to my size, getting a green leather grip and pimping it out with a Shamrock covered head cover. Have been playing phone tag with Augie about these. I believe he is back posting now, so he should have some insight about the Shamrock.
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,985 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 3, 2018 #3
    Pym-

Both are very nice finds.

Know for certain there weren't LH Spalding "Birdie on Ball" Tour Edition forged iron models like yours- All these were RH Only.

Shamrock? Only saw RH models. They (Shamrock Golf) had a Tour presence for a while, but it wasn't very long.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,898 ✭✭
    Well, how bout that. Good show!!! I’m thinking of cutting mine down to my size, getting a green leather grip and pimping it out with a Shamrock covered head cover. Have been playing phone tag with Augie about these. I believe he is back posting now, so he should have some insight about the Shamrock.

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    pymmdcp wrote:
    Someone posted in a thread not too long ago about finding a Shamrock putter. It reminded me that I had a friend buy me one that I later sold and always regretted it. Well, today I found one in beautiful shape.

I also found a Spalding Tour Edition Custom Crafted 4 Iron. Years back I found a complete set and sold it. Always regretted it. It may be my biggest selling regret. It might be the prettiest set of clubs ever IMO.

I thought that would be an interesting discussion. What have you sold that you regret selling. Keep in mind. I found another Shamrock. Redemption is out there. �

Wow - that putter is in excellent condition from the looks in the pictures.

Original leather grip?
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,985 ClubWRX
    August-

A friend of mine used a Shamrock putter with some success back in the '70s.

Everyone here was looking for the 8802s or 8813s.

In some cases, they found the Walter Hagen Cascade putter.
  • pymmdcppymmdcp Members Posts: 262
    A Pro Only Grip. Got it for $1.99 believe it or not.
    rex235 wrote:
    August-

A friend of mine used a Shamrock putter with some success back in the '70s.

Everyone here was looking for the 8802s or 8813s.

In some cases, they found the Walter Hagen Cascade putter.

As a caddy, the pro shop at the course had that Cascade putter in a black finish. Never saw another one. Would grab it if I could find another.

pymmdcp wrote:
    A Pro Only Grip. Got it for $1.99 believe it or not.

Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    augustgolf wrote:

Augie,

You are correct. With my points and retired military discount at my local GW I got it for free. Picked up a decent Sun Mountain Bag for around 6 at the same time.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭
    If my memory serves me correctly Auld golf over in Concord NC was distributing those putters in the Carolinas in the mid and late 70s. Or it may have been the Old master 8802 clones they were handling
    BIG STU wrote:

If my memory serves me correctly Auld golf over in Concord NC was distributing those putters in the Carolinas in the mid and late 70s. Or it may have been the Old master 8802 clones they were handling

It was the Auld Master who marketed the Li'l David.

Shamrock had their own reps. Buddy Allin played them on tour
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • pymmdcppymmdcp Members Posts: 262
    I used the Shamrock putter yesterday with great success. Birdied the first hole and made several good putts. I only had one real “miss hit”. The guys I played with all commented on the putter.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    I would love to trade for or buy one of those.

I was really sick as a sophomore in high school,

Spent a lot of time putting on an AstroTurf mat with ball return in my bedroom.

Couldn’t last too long, but got pretty deadly with a Shamrock blade like these!

Thanks for posting the picks, I haven’t thought about that in a long time!
    edited Aug 22, 2018 #15
    augustgolf wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

It was the Auld Master who marketed the Li'l David.

Shamrock had their own reps. Buddy Allin played them on tour
    Guess what? I am putting front line with a Little David 8802 I found on the pile at work. Sorta blasphemy in this section but I have it cut down to 34 inches and have the Master Grip version of a SS 3.0 on it and of course plenty of lead tape. Feels good. Some old guy asked me the other day if it was a 8802 and I sorta told a white lie and said it was. After all it does say 8802 on the bottom if you could see it through the lead tape. To point out he did NOT ask if it was a WILSON 8802. He chuckled and made some smart crack about a small head with a big grip. I told him I would putt him for $20 a putt and go to my truck and get my original Tommy Armour Ironmaster with the original grip. He clammed up and shuffled away.

Yep you are right about the Lil David and Auld golf I knew Tim over there. And you jogged my memory Jack Pace golf in Charlotte distributed thos 8802 style Old Masters and he also had his version of the 8802 with his house brand Par Ace on it

Heck yeah come on up---- Lead tape on the Shamrock hmmmmm seems like I have corrupted you too!

I'll keep you in mind, should one cross my path.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
    augustgolf wrote:

I'm doing 2 unusual things (for me): 1- reviving an old thread, and 2 - replying to my own post.

It's is a great thing, this interweb, because someone looking for a Model 101 Shamrock putter found me because of this thread. He even joined WRX!

So, now I can start a bidding war, between the newby and rangersgoalie for my Shamrock 101!
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • BigarchBigarch Members Posts: 494 ✭✭
    I passed on a Shamrock a couple years ago. Should have bought it. Cool looking putter. But the Tour Editions brought back some serious memories...namely Greg Norman and 1986. Led all 4 majors on Sunday but could only close the deal on one of them. He played those irons and that god forsaken Spalding Tour Edition ball that spun off greens like crazy and probably cost him the PGA that year and a few more tournaments. Great looking clubs and one of the best years of golf I will ever remember.
    • Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Matrix White Tie 55
    • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
    • 4-GW- Cleveland TA7 FST 90 Shafts with Sensicores
    • Wedges - 54, 59 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7S - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Crossline Midsize
    Bigarch wrote:

I passed on a Shamrock a couple years ago. Should have bought it. Cool looking putter. But the Tour Editions brought back some serious memories...namely Greg Norman and 1986. Led all 4 majors on Sunday but could only close the deal on one of them. He played those irons and that god forsaken Spalding Tour Edition ball that spun off greens like crazy and probably cost him the PGA that year and a few more tournaments. Great looking clubs and one of the best years of golf I will ever remember.

Yes - good memories. Norman really attacked the ball. What is amazing is how he didn't understand how to take spin off the ball. I guess he was really the beginning of the "bangers" style of golf that is played today. When Tiger showed up, he could flight the ball better, and also control the spin, things that most of the tour does not really appreciate, and what I find sorely lacking in today's play.

But, the putter - sorry you didn't get it. It is an awesome feeling putter for a stainless steel head. Probably softest putter I've played, except my old Bullseye.
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • SteveNZSteveNZ Members Posts: 632 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:
    Bigarch wrote:

Yes - good memories. Norman really attacked the ball. What is amazing is how he didn't understand how to take spin off the ball. I guess he was really the beginning of the "bangers" style of golf that is played today. When Tiger showed up, he could flight the ball better, and also control the spin, things that most of the tour does not really appreciate, and what I find sorely lacking in today's play.

But, the putter - sorry you didn't get it. It is an awesome feeling putter for a stainless steel head. Probably softest putter I've played, except my old Bullseye.

What a driver of the ball Norman was, though. Especially with persimmon. Few better.
  • BigarchBigarch Members Posts: 494 ✭✭
    SteveNZ wrote:

augustgolf wrote:
    Bigarch wrote:

What a driver of the ball Norman was, though. Especially with persimmon. Few better.

He was amazing. Got a chance to watch him up close on the driving range at a charity event in St. Louis. He was hitting a Cleveland Classic persimmon and just bombing the **** out of it. It was so impressive that the pro next to him, Dennis Watson, stopped what he was doing to marvel at it too.
    • Driver - Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5* Matrix White Tie 55
    • Fairway - Adams Fairway Blue 16* Stock Slim Tech Stiff
    • Hybrid - Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Fujikura S +.5"
    • 4-GW- Cleveland TA7 FST 90 Shafts with Sensicores
    • Wedges - 54, 59 Cleveland 588 RTX 588 Apollo MatchFlex +1"
    • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7S - 35"
    • Grips - Lamkin Crossline Midsize
  • SteveNZSteveNZ Members Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Bigarch wrote:
    SteveNZ wrote:

augustgolf wrote:
    Bigarch wrote:

He was amazing. Got a chance to watch him up close on the driving range at a charity event in St. Louis. He was hitting a Cleveland Classic persimmon and just bombing the **** out of it. It was so impressive that the pro next to him, Dennis Watson, stopped what he was doing to marvel at it too.

I saw him play at Royal Sydney at the Australian Open back in the late 80s - his strike with the driver sounded like a gun going off.
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    augustgolf wrote:

augustgolf wrote:

I'm doing 2 unusual things (for me): 1- reviving an old thread, and 2 - replying to my own post.

It's is a great thing, this interweb, because someone looking for a Model 101 Shamrock putter found me because of this thread. He even joined WRX!

So, now I can start a bidding war, between the newby and rangersgoalie for my Shamrock 101!

Haha ****.....I always lose these!
    Bring back the plaid pants.
  • deepreddeepred Members Posts: 221 ✭✭

I remember the Tour Edition, terrible ball, no distance at all.
    I also remember the Pro Shop at the club I grew up always had Shamrock irons on display and a set of irons which I think were MacGregor that had a blue tint to them.

Wilson Staff M3 4-GW
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    Wilson Fybrid 15*
    KE4 5 wood
    Maltby SW54, black
    Snake Eyes SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ram Zebra deep face, black