Ping Prodi G clubs

Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
Ping has a new set out called the Prodi G. The selling point is that you get a one time free upgrade was far as shafts go. This way the clubs grow with your child. I was just curious if anybody has tried them out with their kids. It would be great if we could go somewhere and you could hit all of the junior stuff.

Comments

  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Haven't scene them in person have heard a little chatter about them. Will have to wait and see.

    We are sticking with us kids irons next year. Probably going with Taylor made driver and 3wood. Not sure about the wedges. See what his fitter says.

    Then again we always open
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    I haven’t talked to anybody that has had their kid actually hit them. Wouldn’t it be great to go to one of these big US kids tournaments and have all the reps out there on the range with their stuff. Kids could hit all the different clubs for juniors and I guarantee you it would cause some people to buy stuff.
  • Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 371 ✭✭
    Problem is US kids only wants to sell their equipment. They are never going to allow the other companies to set up shop at one of their tournaments and showcase their equipments. Sucks for junior golfers because those US kids tournaments is when you get everyone together in one place.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2018 #6


    Ping has a new set out called the Prodi G. The selling point is that you get a one time free upgrade was far as shafts go. This way the clubs grow with your child. I was just curious if anybody has tried them out with their kids. It would be great if we could go somewhere and you could hit all of the junior stuff.




    I did see the Prodi G driver at a driving range that was a ping dealer. I didn't have time to see if we could hit it but it looks as if ping fitters will have these for juniors to hit as part of their hitting carts. Will be interesting to see what comes from this. I like the idea of what Ping is trying to do but then again I've always been a Ping fan



    But then again what is the difference between Prodi G driver and 812?
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭
    Current Bag:

    G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited Nov 20, 2018 #8
    I took a look at the clubs, iron sets especially, and there are some issues which stands out.

    https://teegolfclub....di-g-iron-sets/



    1. No LW. My son uses the 60degree on most shots around the green.

    2. No 5iron. Both US kids and Flynn offers 5 irons.

    3. Distance gaps in the woods. My son plays in 10 year old division, and his long par3s can be anywhere from 125 up to 150yards. Just having one wood and one hybrid leaves a huge gap.

    4. 15degree non-adjustable loft in the driver. Seems a bit weak for older juniors.



    Again I would have looked at getting just the irons so #3 and #4 becomes a non-issue, but the lack of LW becomes the biggest problem.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:
    I took a look at the clubs, iron sets especially, and there are some issues which stands out.

    [url="https://teegolfclub.com/ping-prodi-g-iron-sets/"]https://teegolfclub....di-g-iron-sets/[/url]



    1. No LW. My son uses the 60degree on most shots around the green.

    2. No 5iron. Both US kids and Flynn offers 5 irons.

    3. Distance gaps in the woods. My son plays in 10 year old division, and his long par3s can be anywhere from 125 up to 150yards. Just having one wood and one hybrid leaves a huge gap.

    4. 15degree non-adjustable loft in the driver. Seems a bit weak for older juniors.



    Again I would have looked at getting just the irons so #3 and #4 becomes a non-issue, but the lack of LW becomes the biggest problem.




    I’m baffled by not having a 60 degree wedge. Lack of the 5i doesn’t bother me as much but that’s bc my daughter only 8. I was surprised by not having more offerings in the hybrid and fairways department. The 15 degree non adjustable is pretty normal on juniors clubs. USKG ts3 is 15 non adjustable on a lot of their models.



    The ping driver is pretty light. Around 186 or so. My daughter swing one back on August had some good pop. We did just order one so I’ll have feedback after Christmas.
  • Shanks2424Shanks2424 Members Posts: 259 ✭✭
    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.
    Brad's Bag 2019
    Driver- Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana LTD D+ White 70 Stiff
    3 Wood- Titleist 909 F3 15* Matrix HD9 Stiff
    Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
    3-PW- Mizuno MP57 3-PW TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Wedges-Cleveland 588 Forged Raw 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball- Titleist Pro V1
    Bag Ogio Woode Stand Bag
     Grips Lamkin Crossline 58 Round 2 Wraps of Tape

    Gavin's Bad 9 Year old son
    Driver- Cobra Fly Z 12.5 Junior Cobra Shaft
    4Wood- Cobra Amp 16.5 Cobra Junior Shaft[/background]
    Hybrid- ???????
    6-PW Cobra Max Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Wedges- Cobra Max 50*  Cobra Pur 56* Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Putter- Odyssey Metal X Rossie Super Stroke Ultra Slim 1.0
    Ball- Titleist DTtru Soft.
    Bag- Maxfli Black and Blue Junior Bag
    Winn Dritec on Driver and 3 Wood
    Golf Pride Junior Tour Velvet On Irons and Wedges.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    Shanks2424 wrote:


    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.




    something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.
  • Shanks2424Shanks2424 Members Posts: 259 ✭✭
    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:


    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.




    something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.




    Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.
    Brad's Bag 2019
    Driver- Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana LTD D+ White 70 Stiff
    3 Wood- Titleist 909 F3 15* Matrix HD9 Stiff
    Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
    3-PW- Mizuno MP57 3-PW TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Wedges-Cleveland 588 Forged Raw 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball- Titleist Pro V1
    Bag Ogio Woode Stand Bag
     Grips Lamkin Crossline 58 Round 2 Wraps of Tape

    Gavin's Bad 9 Year old son
    Driver- Cobra Fly Z 12.5 Junior Cobra Shaft
    4Wood- Cobra Amp 16.5 Cobra Junior Shaft[/background]
    Hybrid- ???????
    6-PW Cobra Max Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Wedges- Cobra Max 50*  Cobra Pur 56* Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Putter- Odyssey Metal X Rossie Super Stroke Ultra Slim 1.0
    Ball- Titleist DTtru Soft.
    Bag- Maxfli Black and Blue Junior Bag
    Winn Dritec on Driver and 3 Wood
    Golf Pride Junior Tour Velvet On Irons and Wedges.
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    Here's where "you're getting two sets for the price" fails.



    I have two kids. When my son was 8, I got him a 54" Flynn set. Year later I upgraded him to a 57" Flynn set and handed down his old 54" to my daughter who turned 8.



    I paid for two sets, and I have two sets. With the Ping, not really...
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    mrshinsa wrote:


    Here's where "you're getting two sets for the price" fails.



    I have two kids. When my son was 8, I got him a 54" Flynn set. Year later I upgraded him to a 57" Flynn set and handed down his old 54" to my daughter who turned 8.



    I paid for two sets, and I have two sets. With the Ping, not really...




    in your case that's probably wouldn't work out in a money standpoint well. In other households its a way to justify high cost for irons.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    Shanks2424 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:


    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.




    something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.




    Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.




    that's just one club. But typically cobra drivers for juniors are $300+ unless they are older. I see what Ping trying to do and I hope it will be successful but some situations it won't be. If I was going to buy a full set to get them all re shafted would be a great deal granted comes with a heavy price one some won't pay. Myself I will consider this as an option when she sizes up.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,067 ✭✭
    edited Nov 27, 2018 #16
    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:


    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.




    something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.




    Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.




    that's just one club. But typically cobra drivers for juniors are $300+ unless they are older. I see what Ping trying to do and I hope it will be successful but some situations it won't be. If I was going to buy a full set to get them all re shafted would be a great deal granted comes with a heavy price one some won't pay. Myself I will consider this as an option when she sizes up.




    The best deal is US Kids TS3 irons. I looked around for my 8 year old and it simply was not worth the hassle to order other clubs or even spend more. For her all I needed to do is walk into PGA superstore measure her and have her hit a few clubs and walk out for $500 with a complete set including bag. Irons are great and her hybrids and Driver that come with the set are good enough for the distances she plays. I went though the custom stuff for my older daughter but the US Kids drivers and woods were junk a few years ago and not as good as the latest stuff.
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 701 ✭✭
    tiger1873 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:

    darter79 wrote:

    Shanks2424 wrote:


    My son really likes this set but I cant make myself spend 1000 dollars for a 8 year old boy for a set of golf clubs. Even if I dont get the full set driver - sw its still around 600 bucks for half he set. I think Ping dropped the ball on the price. I would be willing to spend 500-600 dollars on this set but not a 1000+ any one agree or disagree with me. I have a hard time myself spending 1000 on my own full set my current set cost me around 650.




    something to consider here is you get TWO sets for one price. They will re-shaft weight all the clubs for free. If you consider typical us kids set is $500 is basically the same cost. I just ordered the driver and fairway. When she ready I will put this on the list I just have an issue with no 5i or lw.




    Or 2 500 dollars sets. I mean Cobra charged 250 for the f8 driver and you get 1 free shaft change but they dont charge the 400+ price tag for it.




    that's just one club. But typically cobra drivers for juniors are $300+ unless they are older. I see what Ping trying to do and I hope it will be successful but some situations it won't be. If I was going to buy a full set to get them all re shafted would be a great deal granted comes with a heavy price one some won't pay. Myself I will consider this as an option when she sizes up.




    The best deal is US Kids TS3 irons. I looked around for my 8 year old and it simply was not worth the hassle to order other clubs or even spend more. For her all I needed to do is walk into PGA superstore measure her and have her hit a few clubs and walk out for $500 with a complete set including bag. Irons are great and her hybrids and Driver that come with the set are good enough for the distances she plays. I went though the custom stuff for my older daughter but the US Kids drivers and woods were junk a few years ago and not as good as the latest stuff.




    US kids ts3 irons are great. Driver is good, fairway is trash. Hybrids are ehh. The way the club sets near the ball is strange. The fairway is one strange freaking club in that set. I wouldn't say its the best deal. You can spend $500 on this set then again in 6 months or you could do a ping set that costs more upfront but get true custom fitting lie angles ect weight that built around a kid specs for the same cost as 2 sets. For those that hand down sets not a good value but if you have a single golfer house then its a good deal that is just as good as the value of US Kids set.
  • WBB3WBB3 Members Posts: 1

    Anyone know how the shaft flex on the Prodi g’s compare to the TS3’s. Son (almost 10) has the 54” TS3 and he is now a little over 57” tall and I’m thinking about trying the Prodi g’s next and can’t decide on reg or stiff flex. Driver swing speed is 65-70. Ping fitting chart shows his height being the starting point for stiff flex. Any input would be appreciated.

  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 292 ✭✭

    So my daughter is about to reach 60”, tells me the other day her USKG 57s feel “a little short”. Was just going to regrip and add an inch to each iron, since she wanted better grips and needed something thicker than the stock grip. Then we were walking through the pro shop and saw a ProdiG set on the floor.

    Took a 7i outside and compared it to her clubs. The difference was noticeable immediately. Trajectory much higher. Tighter dispersion when the face wasn’t square. Carried about 10 yards longer. Now we will be getting her fit next week to replace her irons. Eventually probably go with RTX wedges. She will keep her M2 driver and hybrid.

    On the surface, the shafts for the Pings are normal sized, which means normal grips. I think that has helped her with the mishits. Other than that, I don’t have any answers, but it looks like I’m putting off new clubs for me....once again. Need to get her in one of those colleges that provides gear.

    Can’t comment on the quality of the woods/hybrids/wedges. We probably won’t hit them. But at this point, the irons look to be a real improvement over USKG for us.

  • BertGABertGA Members Posts: 292 ✭✭

    @WBB3 said:
    Anyone know how the shaft flex on the Prodi g’s compare to the TS3’s. Son (almost 10) has the 54” TS3 and he is now a little over 57” tall and I’m thinking about trying the Prodi g’s next and can’t decide on reg or stiff flex. Driver swing speed is 65-70. Ping fitting chart shows his height being the starting point for stiff flex. Any input would be appreciated.

    I haven’t seen the Ping chart, but this website seems to suggest he should be in Stiff.

  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 246 ✭✭

    @BertGA said:
    So my daughter is about to reach 60”, tells me the other day her USKG 57s feel “a little short”. Was just going to regrip and add an inch to each iron, since she wanted better grips and needed something thicker than the stock grip. Then we were walking through the pro shop and saw a ProdiG set on the floor.

    Took a 7i outside and compared it to her clubs. The difference was noticeable immediately. Trajectory much higher. Tighter dispersion when the face wasn’t square. Carried about 10 yards longer. Now we will be getting her fit next week to replace her irons. Eventually probably go with RTX wedges. She will keep her M2 driver and hybrid.

    On the surface, the shafts for the Pings are normal sized, which means normal grips. I think that has helped her with the mishits. Other than that, I don’t have any answers, but it looks like I’m putting off new clubs for me....once again. Need to get her in one of those colleges that provides gear.

    Can’t comment on the quality of the woods/hybrids/wedges. We probably won’t hit them. But at this point, the irons look to be a real improvement over USKG for us.

    I haven't got to buy a single new club for me in 2 years....the struggle is real!!!

    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 5:28pm #22

    Took my son to try out some adult clubs yesterday. He hit Ping i210s for a bit, G400, G410 irons for a bit, and then he hits some Prodi-G irons.
    I have to admit, I was quite surprised. His dispersion with Prodi-G clubs were very tight, and distances were very consistent. He says they were heavier than his 57” Flynns, but lighter than the adult clubs and he was able to swing them easier and faster.
    I still don’t think we will end up going with Prodi G, just because he is at the end of the junior growth chart and won’t be able to take advantage of the re-shaft. For anyone in the market for competitive junior equipment, this seems like the answer.

    Post edited by mrshinsa on
  • EdgewoodEdgewood Members Posts: 99 ✭✭

    I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

    Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

    G20 10.5 Stock Stiff
    G20 16.5 Stock Stiff
    Steelhead 3 & 4 Hybrids Stock Stiff
    Steelhead 4-AW Stock Stiff flex
    Clev. 588 58 wedges
    Slighter Kirkland 36"
    3.3 index
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 180 ✭✭

    @Edgewood said:
    I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

    Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

    My son is 11.5 years old, 4'11. We just switched him out from Flynn 57s to adult clubs.
    In general, US Kids tend to favor shorter clubs as they will be easier to swing. Their driver tends to be about one size too short IMO.
    As a reference, my son's driver is 44", and he's able to swing it.

    Take him to the store and have him try it out. As long as he can swing it comfortably, I'd lean towards the longer club. 11~13 is where boys tend to hit their growth spurts.

  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,112 ✭✭

    @Edgewood said:
    I'm trying to move my son from US Kids golf clubs to the Prodi G series. My son is 11 years old. He is about 4'11-5'0 (59-60 inches) tall. He currently plays US Kids 57"to 60" irons, hybrid, and fairway wood. According to Pings fitting chart, they recommend clubs that are longer than US Kids clubs at an equivalent height. For example, the 60-63" inches tall US Kids driver would be 40". Ping recommends I put him in a 41.5" driver at 60" tall and then adds an inch to that driver every inch he grows tall up to 63" tall.

    Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

    At 11 you should really look into putting them into Adult clubs if they can handle them. You will be investing in adult clubs within the next year anyway.

Sign In or Register to comment.