Cracked leather on Ecco world class golf shoes

golfer1ggolfer1g Members Posts: 239
edited Aug 10, 2018 in Golf Style and Accessories #1
I have a pair of Ecco World Class golf shoes and the leather has started cracking. Is their any way to fix it or are they done? They are no longer waterproof. Other than that they show little wear and still have the original spikes.
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5 Tour issue GD Tour AD 6s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M1 15 Tour Isuuse [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GD Tour AD 6s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Adams A12 Pro 18 and 23 Rip'D[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maxfli Australian Blades 5-9 Modus 120s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 48* 52* 56*60* Modus 125 wedge[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Scotty Cameron NP2 Gun Blue[/font]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Titleist Pro V1[/font]

Comments

• WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,361 ClubWRX
    I think you got your money's worth on those.....

I would say "done".

Did you use the Ecco leather cream on them for the life of the shoe?
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • golfer1ggolfer1g Members Posts: 239
    I used Meltonian Shoe Cream Polish on them every 3 or 4 rounds.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5 Tour issue GD Tour AD 6s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Taylormade 2016 M1 15 Tour Isuuse [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]GD Tour AD 6s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maxfli Australian Blades 5-9 Modus 120s[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 48* 52* 56*60* Modus 125 wedge[/font]

• WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,361 ClubWRX
    I recently picked up 7 pairs of the new Biom3, and notice that Yak leather will dry out quickly if I do not apply the leather cream. I have just picked them up this season. so not sure how they will hold up long term.
    F9 - 9* Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • white03white03 Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
    what cream do you use please?
  • white03white03 Members Posts: 695 ✭✭
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,355 ✭✭
    edited Aug 10, 2018 #8
    Fill the cracks with superglue, then white polish over.

And always use shoe trees
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
    edited Aug 10, 2018 #9
    Thanks for the super glue idea. I have always used shoe trees since I got them and never wear them 2 days in a row. I purchased these after Footjoy stopped making the classics hoping they would be just as good but doesn't look like that is going to be the case. I had multiple pairs of the classic dry premiers over the years and never experienced cracking like these Ecco's.

• PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,254 ✭✭
    Contact Ecco, they have a great warranty.
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,300 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 12, 2018 #11

Contact Ecco, they have a great warranty.

Those are old shoes. You would be wasting your time. And judging by how long it is taking Ecco to replace a brand new pair of shoes of mine that are clearly defective (boa system pulled away from the shoe), the op might be passed on by the time they got back to him. Btw, it’s now over 6 weeks.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,254 ✭✭
    I have sent back 10 year old dress shoes and they sent me a gift card to replace them.

Not a waste of time
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,530 ✭✭
    Time for a new pair of kicks brother!!
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,300 ClubWRX

I have sent back 10 year old dress shoes and they sent me a gift card to replace them.

Not a waste of time

The mere fact that you sent back a 10 year old pair of shoes amazes me. I can't imagine being that kind of person.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Do you use a shoe tree?

• PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2018 #16
    http://www.larossashoerepair.com/footjoy-customers/

Don't know if they handle ECCOs, but they recraft FJ Classics like a champ!

Also, don't just polish. Keep your leather supple and nourished. That will prevent cracking. I use this, but it does sometimes leave a off white on white shoes. It's magical on leather grips too: https://www.blackrock-leather.com/
    Socrates wrote:

Not a waste of time

The mere fact that you sent back a 10 year old pair of shoes amazes me. I can't imagine being that kind of person.

They told me to. I had a pair in really good shape that didnt have that much wear on them. The sole literally crumbled off one day. I originally emailed them asking if they sold the soles so I could have them repaired locally. They told me to send them back..... then they sent me a gift card to buy a new pair.

Im not really sure what "that kind of person" means.......what kind of "person" are you ?
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum

Socrates wrote:

Not a waste of time

They told me to. I had a pair in really good shape that didnt have that much wear on them. The sole literally crumbled off one day. I originally emailed them asking if they sold the soles so I could have them repaired locally. They told me to send them back..... then they sent me a gift card to buy a new pair.

Im not really sure what "that kind of person" means.......what kind of "person" are you ?

The kind that wouldn't even consider repairing a pair of 10 yr old shoes. Would have just moved on.
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Socrates wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Not a waste of time

The kind that wouldn't even consider repairing a pair of 10 yr old shoes. Would have just moved on.

Like I said they were in great shape, Im not just a throw it away if I dont have to kinda guy.
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Not a waste of time

You must like buying crappy shoes. I have plenty of shoes, both dress and golf that are twice as old as that on their fifth and sixth sets of soles. Good shoes, properly taken care of, can last almost forever.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,031 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2018 #21
    Clean them up really good let them dry totally out. Take a little Shoe Goo and quickly mix in a little white latex paint and fill. Will look like new no leaks.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 734 ✭✭
    Those things are toast, toss them and buy some new shoes.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 723 ✭✭
    Socrates wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Not a waste of time

But you'll waste your time responding (in an unhelpful, and frankly snarky and patronizing manner) to an online thread with utter strangers about the very same thing?

Some companies replace (and warranty) their products for life...I just had a 30+ year old stockpot break (handle)...called company and within a week a new one was on my doorstep.
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #24
    Kapp wrote:

I buy that ECCO will replace if someone complains that their 10 year old pair of shoes fell apart because thats who they are as a company. They pride themselves on the quality of their product and word of mouth marketing...with that being said, I do not agree with people taking advantage of this. Ive never seen ECCO or anyone else guarantee a pair of shoes for 10 years or even 2 for that matter. Its a pair of shoes! Pony up and buy another pair from them- do it again in 10 years

Taking advantage of what? Them TELLING ME to return them?

You act like I'm running a sham.

I called them and asked them if I could buy new soles, what part of that didn't you read. I made no complaints or hid any details.

It's not like I had a pair worn hard for 10 years. I wore them minimally and the sole crumbled, again me asking to BUY a sole so I could have them repaired locally.
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
    I contacted Ecco and they want me to send this pair and another pair I have that are not cracked in. Both pairs are not waterproof and the lady I spoke with said they have gor-tex linings in them and should be waterproof for 3 years. I got the shoes in mid 2016 so they are just over 2 years old.

golfer1g wrote:

I contacted Ecco and they want me to send this pair and another pair I have that are not cracked in. Both pairs are not waterproof and the lady I spoke with said they have gor-tex linings in them and should be waterproof for 3 years. I got the shoes in mid 2016 so they are just over 2 years old.

Glad things worked out
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #27
    If polished regularly they should never crack. Send them to Ecco and ask for replacement or an adjustment on a new pair. The worse they can say is no.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,031 ✭✭
    I'm taken back by some who feel consumer feedback or questions are somehow inappropriate. I like many on WRX spend a large sum of money on high quality products and in return ask for nothing more than occasional support. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the OP's interest in his shoes or Ecco's desire to service his needs. BB
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    People are thinking this is a loss for companies to ask for these back and have it be replaced by new ones. Lets think of it from another perspective. Maybe Ecco wants it back to look at the failure of their product and improve their product. You can do all the research but nothing beats real usage and getting old product to research and improve failures

Kapp wrote:

Guys- we’re talking about 10 year old shoes. Get over it and buy another pair. Footwear deteriorates over time, especially leather that is not cared for. Even if you left them in a box untouched for 10 years, the leather material breaks down. I’m glad issue was resolved and you got a new pair on ECCO. Cheers... you’re right- we spend a ton on golf equipment and accessories..... but if you think $200-$250 is alot for a shoe that you’ve had for 10 years, you are in the wrong hobby/sport

Got it, next time a company goes out of their way to provide service I'll tell them I don't need their charity.
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • KappKapp Members Posts: 113
    edited Aug 15, 2018 #31

Kapp wrote:

Guys- we're talking about 10 year old shoes. Get over it and buy another pair. Footwear deteriorates over time, especially leather that is not cared for. Even if you left them in a box untouched for 10 years, the leather material breaks down. I'm glad issue was resolved and you got a new pair on ECCO. Cheers... you're right- we spend a ton on golf equipment and accessories..... but if you think $200-$250 is alot for a shoe that you've had for 10 years, you are in the wrong hobby/sport

Got it, next time a company goes out of their way to provide service I'll tell them I don't need their charity.

Its not about their customer service. no one in here is questioning that. Its about you calling them after 10 years and "attempting" to buy a new sole.... Did you really think they were going to sell you just a sole to a 10 year old shoe? Ive been in the footwear industry for a long time- it just doesn't work that way. Of course they are going to go our their way to make you happy. Ecco does not market themselves. They rely on customer service, so it does not surprise me that they replaced your shoes.
    Ping G400
    TM SLDR 3 HL
    Ping G400 19*
    Ping G400 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50*,54*,58*
    Seemore Z3C Nashville