I like this comment on Jordan Spieth

RetsdonRetsdon Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
I just read this in the Guardian's live blog of the PGA. It struck me as nice writing...

Jordan Spieth has picked up shots at the first two holes: he’s -6 as well. He’ll really be kicking himself for not taking his medicine from the trees at 12 yesterday: an overly adventurous attempt to whistle a hybrid through a small gap between two trunks led to his ball caroming out of bounds, and a triple bogey that put paid to any realistic hope of completing the career slam this year. Thing is, though, this is exactly why he’s so entertaining to watch. His wholesome, all-American, apple-pie image tends to obscure his swashbuckling tendencies: the wild driving, astonishing acts of escapology, short-game genius, birdie blitzes and occasional tendency to come apart in spectacular fashion all register very high on the Seve-o-meter™. Would you have him any other way? Bet you he does something jaw-dropping at the Ryder Cup.

Comments

• nicoy3knicoy3k Members Posts: 739 ✭✭
    Jordan Speith is the most exciting golfer since Tiger.
  • denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, COMembers Posts: 1,529 ✭✭
    He’s the perfect combination of Tiger Woods and Ben Crane
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero TD - 9* Black Smoke 6.5 - 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero - 15* Black Smoke 6.5 - 80
    TaylorMade M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    TaylorMade P.7TW, 4-W, DG Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid, and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Tour Rat 1-M 
    2019 TM TP5x
  • bladehunterbladehunter Rain rain go the hell away ! south carolinaMembers Posts: 26,534 ✭✭
    Excellent discription OP !
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21 ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-pw  Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,530 ✭✭
    He bores me a bit to be honest. Even his interviews feel scripted. Thanks G-d he dropped all the “WE” or our team talk.
  • smartstrikesmartstrike Members Posts: 14

He bores me a bit to be honest. Even his interviews feel scripted. Thanks G-d he dropped all the "WE" or our team talk.

I'm guessing you are talking about his interviews and personality in general when you say he bores you. I don't agree but I can see that. It is hard to imagine his golf game boring you. At this time he is, at the same time, the most exciting and frustrating golfer in the game. He is the least boring golfer I have seen. I call him the young Phil. You never know what you are going to get and it changes faster then a blink.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭
    Retsdon wrote:

I just read this in the Guardian's live blog of the PGA. It struck me as nice writing...

Jordan Spieth has picked up shots at the first two holes: he’s -6 as well. He’ll really be kicking himself for not taking his medicine from the trees at 12 yesterday: an overly adventurous attempt to whistle a hybrid through a small gap between two trunks led to his ball caroming out of bounds, and a triple bogey that put paid to any realistic hope of completing the career slam this year. Thing is, though, this is exactly why he’s so entertaining to watch. His wholesome, all-American, apple-pie image tends to obscure his swashbuckling tendencies: the wild driving, astonishing acts of escapology, short-game genius, birdie blitzes and occasional tendency to come apart in spectacular fashion all register very high on the Seve-o-meter™. Would you have him any other way? Bet you he does something jaw-dropping at the Ryder Cup.

First I had Tom Watson and Seve.

Then I had Tiger and Phil.

Now I have Jordan, cut from the same cloth as the four above and from the same golfing play style that goes back to Arnie and Walter Hagen.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Awsi DoogerAwsi Dooger Members Posts: 4,212 ✭✭
    Retsdon wrote:

I love the summary. Speith is an aggressive risk taking player who simply doesn't wander all around and publicize it ahead of time, like Phil. Eventually that will be common knowledge but right now there's a strange lag between reputation and reality.

I saw it so many times at Doral and also the past two years at the Players. He gets in trouble at Sawgrass because he takes so many low percentage routes on the more difficult holes.

But #14 at Doral is where I saw it play out time and again. I don't know Speith's net on that hole but it had to be miserable, only over a few years playing the event. Once he was in the left rough near the small creek and tried an absurd recovery and ended up with something like 9 or 10. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Then the following year he was in the right rough with a tucked back left pin. I was standing right there when the ball came to rest and the lie was awful. I assumed he would play safe. Then I walked to the green and couldn't believe he not only went for the green but directly at the pin. It sailed and I was almost in a position to catch the shot on the fly. He ended up in the water. Then Speith tried flop shots out of the gnarly bermuda rough behind the green.

He is surprisingly fun to follow on the course. He can be precise over a stretch of holes and then throw in some of the most miserable swings, seemingly out of nowhere and similar to the failings on #12 at Augusta the past few years.

His putting also can vary dramatically from day to day. Sometimes I think he can't miss and other days I'll ignore 8 footers since no way he'll make it.
  • redfirebird08redfirebird08 Members Posts: 7,931 ✭✭
    He definitely has those swashbuckling tendencies. Goes for the hero shot a majority of the time. When he's in full flight, it's fun to watch. Final round at Augusta is one of the best charges I can remember.
  • youdamantigeryoudamantiger Members Posts: 427 ✭✭
    nicoy3k wrote:

Agreed. He's 3 cups of Tiger and two ounces of Phil with a tablespoon of Greg Norman.
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 6,206 ✭✭

nicoy3k wrote:

Agreed. He's 3 cups of Tiger and two ounces of Phil with a tablespoon of Greg Norman.

Yup hes seve/phil/watson/tiger and a dash of norman. No 18 par rounds for this guy...
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,829 ClubWRX
    OP, we don't allow positive threads about tour players around here!
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,726 ✭✭

Thanks G-d he dropped all the "WE" or our team talk.

Rickie and JT do that too - I think it's nice they acknowledge their caddie plays a role
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,440 ✭✭
    When he is on, he sure makes a lot of putts. When he's not, he sure complains a lot.
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse