Some good medium spin golf balls?

Brad31Brad31 Members Posts: 198
Need some balls that hold the green, but won't kill my off the tee
I am looking to order some golf balls and I need ones that hold the green. My driver slices if I swing as hard as I could so until I get that fixed I just swing at a slower speed than I could. So my drives only go about 180-200yds off the tee, but I swing my irons harder than my driver. So my swing speed isn't that low, but I never had it measured. I really don't care about distance of the tee because to me right now an extra 10-20 yards isn't gonna matter as much as my low flying 7 iron holding the green. I would say I have a lower ball flight off my irons that most people, but yet I higher ball flight off my driver and 3 wood. Obviously due to swing flaws Im trying to work out. So what ball won't slice 3 fairways over off the tee, but yet spins enough to hold the green well????

Im a college student and can't afford ProV1s so dont say them lol. Im probably gonna get mint used balls online somewhere. So please suggest some cheaper balls.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Comments

• gumpygumpy Members Posts: 170
    Try the srixon ad333, TM burner, DT carry.

They all fly higher than normal, go further for slower swings speeds and from what i've seen and experianced, unless the greens you play on are rock hard, they will hold the green.
  • illini40illini40 Members Posts: 268
    Check out the Nike Power Soft. PD4 I think? The are cheap, and a pretty impressive golf ball.
  • sk373sk373 Members Posts: 1,413 ✭✭
    you can't beat the TopFlite Strata TL-Tour for cheap performance. it's a 3-piece urethane ball that can be had at Golf Galaxy's website for $12.99/dz. it will spin and hold the green better than any regularly priced ball under $25/dz. as far as slicing the ball 3 fairways off the tee, well no ball will really help that much with that, not even the fabled Bridgestone e6/e6+ (which doesn't hold greens particularly well). anyway, at $12.99/dz, you can't go wrong with the Strata TL-Tours.

another good option is the Precept U-Tri Extra Distance, which can be had at RockBottomGolf.com for $12.99dz if you buy 3 dz. the U-Tri-Extra Distance is also a 3-piece urethane ball, and it will check up on the greens. it's less spinny than the Strata TL-Tour, and feels softer off the driver. probably a bit straighter than the Strata TL-Tour, but again, if you really do slice a ball 3 fairways off the tee, no ball will help you that much (except for the illegal Polara balls).

are you slicing your 3 wood badly too? if not, just use your 3 wood off the tee.
  • Brad31Brad31 Members Posts: 198
    well i dont slice my driver THAT much lol. But i thought softer balls spin more.....which allows them to hold the green.....but this extra spin also worsens hooks and slices. So really I want the extra spin just on approach shots and chips to the green .....not off the tee. So a long straight ball off the tee, 1 that holds the green and putts well, and is really cheap......thats not asking 2 much lol image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for all the answers so far I'll check those out
  • Veritas Veritas Members Posts: 629
    I really like the maxfli tour fire ball and it can be had for a decent price since being replaced by the Burner TP. I find it gives me a decent amount of spin for my short game but not too much to exacerbate my slice off the tee. I would say give it a try.
  • ragu421ragu421 Members Posts: 343
    rdbivyleagun wrote on May 27 2008, 07:04 PM:
    I really like the maxfli tour fire ball and it can be had for a decent price since being replaced by the Burner TP. I find it gives me a decent amount of spin for my short game but not too much to exacerbate my slice off the tee. I would say give it a try.

Ditto me on this ball.Dicks sporting goods has them buy a dozen, get a dozen free.I picked up a couple dozen last week and I must say, for the money,it's a great ball.It's 75 compression also, which should give you a few extra yards off the tee as well.Not a egg at all IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file