2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Year 1990, witb?

lke90

Hello everyone!

I've read somewhere about making a bag from your bith year and I really liked the idea

I have already had some useful tips on this forums about my other(s) vintage bags and since most of you were probably already playing golf in 1990 that's my question:

what would my bag was like with the clubs available at the date of july 22nd, 1990?

photos or catalogues from the year would be great

ps: there's a witb from 90's major champions but it starts from '92

my years range is more '87-'90

Tell us more about how your tastes run. You could be looking at persimmon or metal woods, and anything from Hogan Grinds to Eye2 s

good point, my other bags other than modern (taylormade Speedblade) are:

- 1930 circa pyratone shaft clubs (blades) mixed maker with 1960 circa ben hogan persimmon woods (2,4) and orlimar handmade persimmon driver (unknown year)

- 1980 circa ben hogan apex II blades with laminated woods (wilson, titleist, hogan)

plus I kept every single set since I began playing, maxfly revolution black (1999), dunlop pro02 (2002) taylormade rac mb (2005)

BH Grind are very good looking but since I already have one set of hogan I would look to other brands

ping eye 2 looks quite game improvement, I would go to some blade stiled set and a very early metal wood since I don't have one

(pittsburg persimmon from TM would be a great find)

now I think about them all I'm starting to feel like I already have a little too much clubs :blush2:

It's not really exact for the 1990 model year, but would be fairly consistent with that era give or take a year or two one way or the other. A fun set to play none-the-less that would be reminiscent of the beginnings of the mainstream modern era.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It's not really exact for the 1990 model year, but would be fairly consistent with that era give or take a year or two one way or the other. A fun set to play none-the-less that would be reminiscent of the beginnings of the mainstream modern era.

very nice! I think I have a 3 and a 5 wood like yours somewhere in the garage! they will be put into play soon!

Once you've ruled out Hogan and Ping, Mizuno is the obvious brand to look at, IMO.

Abso-flippin'-lutely!

TP Originals or TP-9,beautiful top quality blades that are not impossible to play well with.

Those are the ones. Stayed in the mizuno lineup for an eternity compared to modern product cycles, and were everywhere on tour until pay to play money got silly big. Them, or Tp11s would be outstanding.

now I think about them all I'm starting to feel like I already have a little too much clubs :blush2:

Blasphemy!

That kind of silly talk will get you bounced right outta here. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Once you've ruled out Hogan and Ping, Mizuno Ram is the obvious brand to look at for a 1990 set, IMO.

Fixed it for you, Birly :) Frequency Matched Golden Rams would be a lovely choice for a 1990 set.

In terms of irons, aside from my obvious Ram mention, I'd probably think about a set of the late 80s Wilson Staff Fluid Feels or the Muirfields/Muirfield 20ths.... hey, Ram Laser forged CBs! There's a thought, they came out in 1990.

425_A.jpg

For woods, it's not yet Big Bertha time, so I'd probably stick with persimmons: Ram, Mac 80s reissues, or some lovely Clevelands.

A random thought just before I hit the Post button... late 80s would be an awesome time to look at Spalding Tour Edition "bird on ball" blades. :pimp:

edited to add: Palmer Original Standards are another excellent choice for this time frame. These are the ones with Palmer's signature on the backpad. I had a set of these, and I wish I still had them. Truly outstanding sticks.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Once you've ruled out Hogan and Ping, Mizuno Ram is the obvious brand to look at for a 1990 set, IMO.

Fixed it for you, Birly :) Frequency Matched Golden Rams would be a lovely choice for a 1990 set.

In terms of irons, aside from my obvious Ram mention, I'd probably think about a set of the late 80s Wilson Staff Fluid Feels or the Muirfields/Muirfield 20ths.... hey, Ram Laser forged CBs! There's a thought, they came out in 1990.

For woods, it's not yet Big Bertha time, so I'd probably stick with persimmons: Ram, Mac 80s reissues, or some lovely Clevelands.

A random thought just before I hit the Post button... late 80s would be an awesome time to look at Spalding Tour Edition "bird on ball" blades. :pimp:

edited to add: Palmer Original Standards are another excellent choice for this time frame. These are the ones with Palmer's signature on the backpad. I had a set of these, and I wish I still had them. Truly outstanding sticks.

I think I just fell in love with the spaldings, what a beautiful shape! thank you all for the super info!

Yonex ADX driver & Cobra Greg Norman forged blades.

Taylor made Tour Spoon and/or Raylor

Dave Pelz reverse 3 ball putter

Definitely! I'd even suggest a TaylorMade driver instead of the Yonex, just because when I was junior back in that timeframe, all the good players I played against were using one. I think it was the TaylorMade Burner, with the dimples on the back and sides of the head.

Definitely! I'd even suggest a TaylorMade driver instead of the Yonex, just because when I was junior back in that timeframe, all the good players I played against were using one. I think it was the TaylorMade Burner, with the dimples on the back and sides of the head.

With a head the size of a quarter!?! No thanks. I remember those well myself. Many of the guys I played with back then tried them...

We all went back to playing Persimmon until the Callaway BB's came out.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

With a head the size of a quarter!?! No thanks. I remember those well myself. Many of the guys I played with back then tried them...

We all went back to playing Persimmon until the Callaway BB's came out.

Ha! Wasn't it about the same size as a normal persimmon driver? I still have mine back in the UK. I got it after my beautiful Mizuno persimmon got stolen. I wouldn't say it was an improvement in terms of forgiveness, but going from a steel shaft to a graphite shaft probably gave me a few more yards.

I last hit it a couple of years ago. As you say, the head really does look tiny. In fact, probably more daunting at address than my Mizuno persimmon driver that I play now.

I guess I was thinking of the first Burners that were tiny. The 'Speed Bump' version was larger but not as big as our larger persimmons and certainly didn't produce as well. The guys I played with back then didn't start moving to metal woods wholesale until the BB's came out. Here are some comparison pics for you...

xoOceZG.jpg

sqVK9sI.jpg

vM4UOPy.jpg

My set comprised of:

Driver: Cleveland Classics DG43, TT DG X100

3 Wood: Cleveland Classics DG43, TT DG S400

1-PW: MacGregor Muirfield 20th, TT DG X100

SW: Cleveland Classics 485 56*

Putter: Wilson Tour Special II

Ball: Titleist Tour Balata 100 compression

Shoes: Footjoy Classics (leather soled) of various models

At the end of the year I found a 1953 MacGregor Tommy Armour 945TW 3 wood that I put in the bag. It remained in my bag for the next 10-11 years. I also replaced my irons with MacGregor VIP (reissued).

Attached is the Cleveland Classics ad for the time period as well as pictures of my driver (which I still have).

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I guess I was thinking of the first Burners that were tiny. The 'Speed Bump' version was larger but not as big as our larger persimmons and certainly didn't produce as well. The guys I played with back then didn't start moving to metal woods wholesale until the BB's came out. Here are some comparison pics for you...

That metalwood does indeed look smaller.

I don't think it's the same model as the one I have, though. I've got pictures of it somewhere, so if I can find them, I'll post them up. I thought mine was a burner, but I might be wrong.

To answer the OP's post---- I was born in 57 so lets see the closest thing would be my 55 925 Armour irons or my 54 Mac Toski Mighty Mites. I also have the 55 Armour Ironmaster putter. Or I could go with the 58 Diamond Backs with matching woods. The 58s are getting a little stiff for me lately and cause my back to hurt when playing them. The 53s and 55s have the old TT Green band shafts in them so no problem

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I was playing in 1990, not sure of everything I was playing back then, but I had Ping Eye 2 green dot 1-SW, although not all in the bag at once. I had a Taylor Made metalwood driver, the one with the dimples on the side.

I usually played my Wilson Staff JP sand wedge, and I had a black Ping Anser knockoff, no idea who made it.

I think my fairway woods were, well... still wooden.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

xoOceZG.jpg

sqVK9sI.jpg

vM4UOPy.jpg

I think I was the last man standing on the SE Minis with persimmon. I played a Penna Custom Model 12 driver and an old H&B persimmon 4 wood until 02 or so. The early metal woods were a nightmare for me with graphite because I could hook them off the planet and then they would bounce and roll like the Energizer bunny. My first metal wood was a small headed (300cc) Founders Judge with a S-400 steel shaft. Played it for about a year until it cracked along those Baffler type rails on the bottom. Found out later that those were prone to cracking with a stiff steel shaft. My next metal was a large headed Golf Gear Tsumani with a UST Pro Force 65 Stiff shaft. So basically I missed the small metal head driver era. Since coming on WRX and hoeing more I do have some of the small metal headed drivers including a J's weapon but I have found I hit either persimmon or the big modern drivers better.

I was playing in 1990, not sure of everything I was playing back then, but I had Ping Eye 2 green dot 1-SW, although not all in the bag at once. I had a Taylor Made metalwood driver, the one with the dimples on the side.

I usually played my Wilson Staff JP sand wedge, and I had a black Ping Anser knockoff, no idea who made it.

In 90 lets see--- I started out playing with a set of Citation blades and then got my first set of VIPs ( my now beloved worn out set). Driver would have been my beloved Blonde Power Bilt Citation. 4 wood was a old Spalding Top Flite actually a 4 1/2 circa 1962. Putter was an Ping Anser. Wedges were a Spalding Elite 333 Custom 10 iron and a Wilson R-90. LOL 92 was sorta a bad year for me I cracked the blonde PB and the Spalding 4 1/2 that year. Went with the model 12 Penna and H&B 4 wood like I previously mentioned I front line played until 02

In 90 lets see--- I started out playing with a set of Citation blades and then got my first set of VIPs ( my now beloved worn out set). Driver would have been my beloved Blonde Power Bilt Citation. 4 wood was a old Spalding Top Flite actually a 4 1/2 circa 1962. Putter was an Ping Anser. Wedges were a Spalding Elite 333 Custom 10 iron and a Wilson R-90. LOL 92 was sorta a bad year for me I cracked the blonde PB and the Spalding 4 1/2 that year. Went with the model 12 Penna and H&B 4 wood like I previously mentioned I front line played until 02

I had just switched, probably the year before from my 1973 Wilson Staff Dynapower irons. It was a big change but all us juniors were going to Ping back then.

I remember lusting after the VIP in the local pro shop, at the time thinking they were the most beautiful irons I’d ever seen.

My fairways would have most likely been Hogan, but I can’t remeber for sure.

Titleist TSi3 | Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W | Titleist 915H 4H | Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW | Cleveland RTX-3 54, 60 | Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1

Ice--- Back in my junior days my first real set was a set of 70/71 Wilson Staff Patty Berg bullet backs with aluminum shafts. My old man had switched to the Wilson Staff at the time. They lasted about a year because I swung so fast and hard at the ball I started the rope hook deal. Ended up buying a set of 66 Spalding Elite 333 custom blades. Bought a new set of Power Bilt Citation woods. But did switch from a Tommy Armour Ironmaster putter to a Ping Anser around 72. Played those sticks through high school.

As best as I can recall this was what I played,

TM Burner driver, 3 wood and 19* cleek. DG s300 shafts. At some point I played a Yamaha EOS graphite shafted driver. Not sure of the year.

Ping Anser 3 putter

Custom built 767 irons. These were knock offs of the TA 845 irons. Great sticks. 3-P. DG S300.

Cleveland 588 56 and 60

Sun Mountain carry bag. No stand or double strap.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly