After GI irons, What next?

Theryanlaf

I've been using a set of Ping G30s and I play great with them, but as I'm getting better, I'm curious as to what I should be looking to next. I love how forgiving they are but I think I'm ready to take the next step.

What have you guys gone to after game improvement irons?

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right Gary, and I do feel I hit them pretty well. As they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Something like a 'players cavity back' like the Apex CF16, JPX900, M1/M3 which have thinner toplines, smaller heads; but still have a little bit of help, but are not huge shovels.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

^^ thanks.

Although I do agree with other replies to keep playing my G30s if they work well for me, I now know a "players cavity back" are what I should look at when the day comes. Thanks!!

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

^^ thanks.

Although I do agree with other replies to keep playing my G30s if they work well for me, I now know a "players cavity back" are what I should look at when the day comes. Thanks!!

I agree with previous comment.

Search for some intermediate players irons. There are many offerings. This way to ncould start working in better feeling; this means you will know when you hit it good or bad and this feeling will help you try better.

If you like the Pings i series seems like next logical progression. If you want forged then so many good options: Titleist CB, Callaway x-forged, Mizuno MP-18sc, Srixon z-7 series to name a few.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

I've been using a set of Ping G30s and I play great with them, but as I'm getting better, I'm curious as to what I should be looking to next. I love how forgiving they are but I think I'm ready to take the next step.

What have you guys gone to after game improvement irons?

What's the weak spot in your game? If you play great with the G30's and it's not iron play, changing irons isn't going to make any difference to your scorecard. At least not a positive difference. You could always end up doing something stupid and being worse off! Don't worry, you won't be alone as most of us have done it at one time or another... :rolleyes:

Figure out what it is you need to work on. See if there's going to be any material difference by changing equipment, if so, proceed. If not, then take some lessons and work on technique.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

^^ thanks.

Why? How will a players cavity back iron improve your game? Sorry, maybe this is a rhetorical question? It just seems that there are so many people around here that want to play the same irons as PGA players use just as soon as they start to break 90 regularly. Simple fact is that unless there are certain shots that you can not perform using your G30's, and I don't know what those might be, then there is no real advantage to moving to smaller and harder to hit iron. If you hit the dead center of the club face every time then go ahead, because the larger head won't help you much, otherwise the forgiveness of a GI club will help you score.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I've played "players" clubs in the past and if that's what floats your boat there's no harm in it. Just don't imagine that they will improve your scores. In fact, it's entirely possible a smaller-headed, thinner-soled, less-forgiving set of irons might even cost you a lost stroke here or there relative to the G30's you're used to. But you're playing for fun and it isn't like you're going to be shooting in the 60's whatever irons you choose.

My advice was, when the itch to "upgrade" comes along, buy something really nice and fancy that doesn't cost you anything in performance. Like those Ping G700 irons. High-tech, slightly more "player-ish" appearance (although they are still huge) and the hot face will actually give you a few yards of extra distance and perhaps some added elevation on your mid-irons. But they're just as forgiving as your G30's.

^^ thanks.

Why? How will a players cavity back iron improve your game? Sorry, maybe this is a rhetorical question? It just seems that there are so many people around here that want to play the same irons as PGA players use just as soon as they start to break 90 regularly. Simple fact is that unless there are certain shots that you can not perform using your G30's, and I don't know what those might be, then there is no real advantage to moving to smaller and harder to hit iron. If you hit the dead center of the club face every time then go ahead, because the larger head won't help you much, otherwise the forgiveness of a GI club will help you score.

Arguably; the 'easier' to hit heads do not make you a better player. They are a crutch and a band aid. You may post better scores but you're riding on training wheels indefinitely.

I personally like the feedback I get from 'players' irons because it tells me when I'm doing bad and I can remedy it. Hosel shots, heel strikes, off the toe, top of the face or low....etc. I know what to change in my swing, or what I'm forgetting, by getting that feedback.

With SGI shovels I can't feel a damn thing and the ball does the same thing every time. Sure I might play better with them by a few strokes overall when averaged out, but I want to become a better golfer, not a better $5-per-hole-game-winner.

YMMV of course and it all depends on what you want out of your personal golf quest throughout your life.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

^^ thanks.

Arguably; the 'easier' to hit heads do not make you a better player. They are a crutch and a band aid. You may post better scores but you're riding on training wheels indefinitely.

I personally like the feedback I get from 'players' irons because it tells me when I'm doing bad and I can remedy it. Hosel shots, heel strikes, off the toe, top of the face or low....etc. I know what to change in my swing, or what I'm forgetting, by getting that feedback.

With SGI shovels I can't feel a damn thing and the ball does the same thing every time. Sure I might play better with them by a few strokes overall when averaged out, but I want to become a better golfer, not a better $5-per-hole-game-winner.

YMMV of course and it all depends on what you want out of your personal golf quest throughout your life.

Ain't no club in the world ever made someone a better player. You must be confusing a set of irons (used to play golf) with some sort of training aid (used to work on swing drills).

I was fit for Cobra Fly Z irons the year they released and started taking lessons around the same time I got them. As my swing improved and my scores started coming down I started noticing weird distance gaps and a little bit of inconsistency in distances. Instead of having a comfortable 10ish yard gap between clubs I'd have 10 yards between some and 20-25 between others. I also would randomly have really high ball flight that seemed to come out intermittently. It just seemed a little weird to me. I went to my swing coach and talked to him about it and mentioned that I was concerned maybe I needed to re-shaft the clubs or perhaps start playing forged/players irons. He recommended going through a fitting process and told me my swing had developed enough to get out of GI clubs if I wanted to. I decided to make the move to forged since I'm starting to work on shaping shots a little anyway. The fitting process showed that the shafts in my GI clubs were not good for me anymore so I decided to go ahead and get new clubs. The result was playing a heavier shaft in a forged club. My distances have leveled out, gapping is perfect now, and I'm no longer seeing the random ballooning shots that I was seeing before. That being said, if you are seeing any weird issues or your gapping is off.... maybe its worth looking into getting new clubs or new shafts, but if you aren't seeing any issues just stick with whatever is comfortable/works for you.

Cobra King F9 Driver 8Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 60G X

Cobra King Radspeed 3w 15.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Radspeed 5w 18.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Forged Utility 3i 18.5Project X Catalyst 80G X

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid 22.5Mitsubishi MMT 80G X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 Irons 5i-PW Project X 6.5 IO 115G X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 58o Wedges Project X 6.0 120G S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5R Putter 

Buy new clubs if you want, the heart wants what the heart wants.

But as someone else said above, think about what you're looking for. Odds are there are MUCH better golfers who you who play the G30 and are are fine with them. Are irons a strength of your game? Have you reached the point where you are shooting for quadrants of the green with your irons? Can you flight the ball high/low or work it when needed? (Though I think the ability to work the ball is vastly overrated for most recreational golfers) If so, find a iron that fits your need.

Or be like a lot of people on here and buy new equipment because it's fun, it looks good in the bag or you think it'll make you play better. Believe me, 90% of us on here have talked ourselves into new harder to hit equipment thinking it would make us better.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I've been playing G30's for a couple of years now. Last year I put SteelFiber shafts in them and the combo is better for me. I'm happy with them. That being said, I'm always looking for a better mousetrap. When they came out I spent a lot of time trying the P790's and almost got a set. I did a side-by-side comparison on a LM and the numbers were better. The cost scared me off. Today I spent a half hour hitting a G700 7i on a LM and that club may get me to drop some cash. I really really like it.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Nothing wrong with a nice iron upgrade, lots to be said for striking more traditional sized irons,

Good luck with your search, you will not regret ditching the " Training Wheel " style clubs.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Something like a 'players cavity back' like the Apex CF16, JPX900, M1/M3 which have thinner toplines, smaller heads; but still have a little bit of help, but are not huge shovels.

Agreed. Keep hold of the Pings though for when you climb back up to 22 and need GI again....(not being as cynical as you might imagine..)

Agreed. Keep hold of the Pings though for when you climb back up to 22 and need GI again....(not being as cynical as you might imagine..)

Not cynical at all.

I spent the first decade of my golfing life using some lovely player's cavity backs that I liked better than any clubs I've owned before or since. Worked my game all the way down from my first handicap of around 27 circa 1997 to a solid 20-21 ;-) six years later. Stayed there for quite a few years, give or take a couple strokes.

Then I got my first set of "shovels". Original version Callaway Razr X (not Forged or Tour) with the generic "uniflex" shafts. Not claiming it made a night and day difference in my scoring but the handicap did trend down under 20 for the first time, ever. Took a bunch of lessons, practiced every day, went to the gym three morning a week and really got after it for a couple years. Lowest index I ever achieved was 12.9 for one month but I kept in the in the 14 range for a good while.

Now I was ready to get back to the style of irons I really preferred. Also I started reading stuff on GolfWRX and the club ho'ing bug bit hard. Tried several different "players" sets from Titleist, Callaway and Mizuno culminating in a few months playing the Razr X Forged '09 irons. Man those shiny Endo forgings were something. I could actually hit cuts and hooks on purpose when I was swinging well. And so nice to chip with around the greens or for digging the ball out of the rough with a short iron.

Fast forward to late 2011. Handicap index of 20.3 and rising. At that point I am not really loving shooting in the mid-90's instead of upper-80's every weekend. So I bit the bullet, bought some Ping G20's and found my new level. No practicing, no going to the gym, almost never taking lessons. My index fluctuates around 17-ish and I can flirt with breaking 80 a couple times year. when everything comes together for one round.

If I were to get back on the lesson/practice/workout treadmill I've no doubt within a year or two I'd be scoring several shots better than I do now. But if I swapped my Ping G's for a set of AP3's or iBlades or JPX Forged? It would take a while but 22 HCP would not be at all out of the question. And I certainly would not magically shed strokes just from the difficulty of hitting those "players" irons.

It all depends on how you hit your long irons. If they significantly worse than your mid and short irons, then try a combo set

i500 4,5 i210 6-PW

AP3 4, 5 AP2 6-PW

TMB 4, 5 CB 6-PW

Mizuno FLI 4, 5 MMC 6-PW

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x