Hybrids over Fairways??

Duffner's Waggle

Anybody out there gaming strong lofted hybrids (17-19*) and NO fairway woods?

Recently added a driving iron to the bag, and I don't hit fairway wood that often anymore (hard to believe, I know), so I'm considering only carrying a strong lofted hybrid that could be used from the tee, but might also be my primary approach club on Par 5s.

I've considered a 5HL fairway wood and no hybrid.

Help me think through it.

Current setup is in my signature. Need to nail down that slot between Driving Iron and 4 iron.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently added a driving iron to the bag, and I don't hit fairway wood that often anymore (hard to believe, I know), so I'm considering only carrying a strong lofted hybrid that could be used from the tee, but might also be my primary approach club on Par 5s.

Current setup is in my signature. Need to nail down that slot between Driving Iron and 4 iron.

I am. I have a 17 degree titleist hybrid. its so versatile, I do not need a fairway wood. Maybe off the tee on long par 3's I miss a 3 wood, but other than that, its never been an issue for me to NOT have a 3 wood or 5 wood in the bag. I go from a 9.5 degree driver to the hybrid. then I carry 4-w.

The hybrid flies long, high and lands soft. I had an Eagle on a par 5 this weekend due to the approach shot to the fringe with the hybrid. I chipped in for Eagle, first time in 5 years I had an eagle.

I am. I have a 17 degree titleist hybrid. its so versatile, I do not need a fairway wood. Maybe off the tee on long par 3's I miss a 3 wood, but other than that, its never been an issue for me to NOT have a 3 wood or 5 wood in the bag. I go from a 9.5 degree driver to the hybrid. then I carry 4-w.

The hybrid flies long, high and lands soft. I had an Eagle on a par 5 this weekend due to the approach shot to the fringe with the hybrid. I chipped in for Eagle, first time in 5 years I had an eagle.

Awesome! That's what I wanna hear. I think my 19* hybrid might be ok because I can hit it 225-235 and anything more than that I probably won't be very accurate with anyways in terms of approach shot. I also have the 17* driving iron, though it's not ideal from the deck, but if I really needed to squeeze something out there 250 like Brooks Koepka, I could come out of my shoes and try to make it happen.

Congrats on the eagle! I had one the first year I played golf, but never have since.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Although not in my signature, I usually bag a 17* Titleist 913H over the UDI. I love it off the fairway and off the tee. Its pretty money when I really need to hit a fairway, and willing to sacrifice distance.

I'm using my UDI less than I thought I would honestly.

Titleist - TSi3 8* - Ventus Black S6

Callaway - Apex UW 17* - HZRDUS Black Smoke

Taylormade - 2021 P790 4-AW - Project X LS

Vokey - 54* 60* - S400

Evnroll - ER2b - Stability Tour Shaft

Awesome! That's what I wanna hear. I think my 19* hybrid might be ok because I can hit it 225-235 and anything more than that I probably won't be very accurate with anyways in terms of approach shot. I also have the 17* driving iron, though it's not ideal from the deck, but if I really needed to squeeze something out there 250 like Brooks Koepka, I could come out of my shoes and try to make it happen.

Congrats on the eagle! I had one the first year I played golf, but never have since.

I always feel like I'm missing a club in my bag but the reality is my gapping is pretty good with what I carry. I do not like to carry another club just because.....im very confident with the hybrid and can hit it out of the rough and off the deck just great...a 3 wood is tough to hit out of the rough to me.....I think my setup works great for me....

Although not in my signature, I also play a 17* Titleist 913H. I love it off the fairway and off the tee. Its pretty money when I really need to hit a fairway, and willing to sacrifice distance.

I'm using my UDI less than I thought I would honestly.

Yea I've only had the UDI in the bag for a couple weeks, but there are a handful of holes at the course I play most where I really like it. I wasn't hitting it very well and then at the range I decided to address the ball with the ball towards the heel of the club and all of the sudden it was like the heavens opened and the angels sang hallelujah. Long, mid height, flat bombs. The Ping Rapture thriver has been a revelation too and my tee game is what has held me back from dropping my score lower so I'm excited about the potential for the UDI and the Rapture to really get me in the short stuff. I don't go for Par 5s in two very often, and I don't have 200+ into par 4s almost ever, so the hybrid/fwy slot is for long tee shots, tee shots that need more height off the tee, and whenever I do try and reach a par 5 in two (which may happen more now with the new Rapture in the bag).

I always feel like I'm missing a club in my bag but the reality is my gapping is pretty good with what I carry. I do not like to carry another club just because.....im very confident with the hybrid and can hit it out of the rough and off the deck just great...a 3 wood is tough to hit out of the rough to me.....I think my setup works great for me....

Well, I have always had a slight obsession with fairway woods, so its hard for me to imagine a bag without one, but honestly I've hardly hit my fw woods in the last 15 rounds I've played. I play a 16.5* 4w or 3HL when I do have a fairway in the bag, but the thought of that 5HL 21* wood kind of tempted me. I think I like the versatility of the hybrid better potentially though. Like you said, rough, fairway, etc.

I even will use the hybrid around the green sometimes depending on what the rough is like and the length of the shot. Could do that with a fairway, but the hybrid is much more suited for that.

For a short knocker like me, a 5 or 7 fairway wood will hold a green much better than a 3 or 4 hybrid and the choice is almost a no brainer. For a higher swing speed golfer such as yourself, the hybrid is more likely to be an equally valid option and then it comes down to which club you have the most confidence with hitting your target.

For a short knocker like me, a 5 or 7 fairway wood will hold a green much better than a 3 or 4 hybrid and the choice is almost a no brainer. For a higher swing speed golfer such as yourself, the hybrid is more likely to be an equally valid option and then it comes down to which club you have the most confidence with hitting your target.

The ping in my bag is pretty sweet. I think at times I have clubs in the bag because they're "supposed" to be there. Driver, 3w, hybrid, irons...that's just the way I learned the game, but in all reality, I need to get comfortable playing my own game with equipment I actually use well.

I play a 3 wood but opted for a 2 hybrid (19) instead of a 5 wood. I just hit hybrids too well.

How often would you say you hit each of them respectively in a given round?

I play a 3 wood but opted for a 2 hybrid (19) instead of a 5 wood. I just hit hybrids too well.

How often would you say you hit each of them respectively in a given round?

I dropped a wedge and picked up the 2 hybrid specifically for a reliable fairway finder off the tee on the short par 4's. On my home course from a set forward of the tips (6,500 yards) I use it on probably half of the par 4's. I definitely hit the 2 hybrid off the tee more than the 3 wood.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I do carry a 3w but when it came down to the 5w vs the 3h, I chose hybrid for a few reasons:

1) Easier to flight up or down than a wood. Woods almost always want to fly high. I can usually take the hybrid flight down 20 or 30ft if needed.

2) Shorter shaft = more control (slightly less carry, but still same total distance due to lower spin).

3) Smaller profile = easier to hit from the fairway and also weird lies, especially through rough.

As far as not carrying any kind of fairway... I could only see guys doing that who have extreme speed and can get a 16 or 17* compact head to get enough spin to be usable. But, by the looks of like... every Tour bag I've seen, a 3w is a coveted item.

Me , no fairway woods ....

Using two hybrids only.... #3 and #5

I do carry a 3w but when it came down to the 5w vs the 3h, I chose hybrid for a few reasons:

1) Easier to flight up or down than a wood. Woods almost always want to fly high. I can usually take the hybrid flight down 20 or 30ft if needed.

2) Shorter shaft = more control (slightly less carry, but still same total distance due to lower spin).

3) Smaller profile = easier to hit from the fairway and also weird lies, especially through rough.

As far as not carrying any kind of fairway... I could only see guys doing that who have extreme speed and can get a 16 or 17* compact head to get enough spin to be usable. But, by the looks of like... every Tour bag I've seen, a 3w is a coveted item.

I would suggest that it's the extreme length of the courses played on tour that makes the 3w invaluable. A long hitting am probably doesn't need to hit the ball that far to produce a good layup on most of the courses he plays.

I agree, I game a 3H and 3W.

I am curious how far I would be able to hit a 818 H2 2 hybrid dialed down .75 of loft equaling 16.25* of loft.

I would suggest that it's the extreme length of the courses played on tour that makes the 3w invaluable. A long hitting am probably doesn't need to hit the ball that far to produce a good layup on most of the courses he plays.

Yea I don't typically play 6700+ yd courses as a 13 hdcp am. The longest Par 4 at the course I play most is 458 and its a driver hole anyways, so no need for a fairway wood there.

4 other Par 4s in the 405-415 rang, everything else is sub-400. Driver-wedge or driving iron, short iron.

When I could practice more and played more... and was better... I played driver, 14° hybrid, 3-PW...

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I recently dropped the 5w in favor of setting my 3 hybrid set at 19 degrees. I feel more comfortable hitting the hybrid whether its in fairway or rough, or even a tee shot. The ball seems to go about the same distance on pure strikes with either club so it was the sensible choice just from a comfort level. I didn't feel the need to drop the 3w though so my bag layout is currently as seen in my signature.

Cobra King F9 Driver 8Project X HZRDUS RDX Blue 60G X

Cobra King Radspeed 3w 15.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Radspeed 5w 18.5Fujikura Motore X F1 70G X

Cobra King Forged Utility 3i 18.5Project X Catalyst 80G X

Cobra King Tec 4 Hybrid 22.5Mitsubishi MMT 80G X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 Irons 5i-PW Project X 6.5 IO 115G X

Titleist Vokey SM8 50o, 54o, 58o Wedges Project X 6.0 120G S

Titleist Scotty Cameron Futura X5R Putter 

Your logic is sound, if officially unorthodox. I have always heard of hybrids being designed as 'replacements for long irons' but I see no reason to remove my 3 or 4 iron from the bag. Irons should be a golfer's bread and butter. But I was having some serious difficulty hitting the 3 wood, and found it not the most useful club for me... and a hybrid turned out to be an excellent replacement. Yes I know it doesn't go quite as far. Who cares

I carry a G400 LST driver or a G400 Stretch 3 as a driver.

The only other clubs in my bag are a Hogan 18* VKTR and a 20* VKTR hybrid.

[b]Driver: [/b] PXG Gen5 0311 10.5*, 45” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Fairway: [/b] PXG Gen 5 0311 15*, 43” Motore F3 X-Stiff
[b]Hybrids/Driving Irons: [/b]
[b]Irons: [/b] Titleist T-100S 3i-GW, +1/2” 1* Up, Modus 105T Stiff 
[b]Wedges: [/b] Titleist Vokey SM9 53* & 58* Modus 105T Stiff (both 36”)
[b]Putter: [/b] LowTide Fin Custom (23rd Putter made), 33.5", 303 Stainless
[b]Grips: [/b] .58 Tour Velvet Cord +1 wrap, Pure Grip Putter (Std)

[b]Ball: [/b] 2021 Vice Pro Plus / Pro 

[b]Bag & Headcovers: [/b] Varies 🙂

Duff, go back and look at Matt Dobyns’ bag. 2 drivers, no fairways, 2 hybrids.

There are no pictures......

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Rarely do I have a shot that requires 240+ on approach shots and if I did the odds of hitting a great shot off the deck with a 3 wood is slim. Off the tee I don’t hit 3 wood any better than driver either. That’s why I dumped the 3 wood, cranked 5 wood loft to 17.5, and replaced my 4 iron with a hybrid. I hit the 5 wood better than the 3 wood, almost as far, and much better off the deck. I have a club that I can dial back with when driver is too much and when I do have those 230ish+ approach shots I hit more serviceable shots with some pretty good ones mixed in. With the 4 hybrid I get better results from less than perfect strikes and more versatility from sketchy lies. I don’t expect to knock down flagsticks from 200+ I just want to hit the green or get around it with a chance. Also after dumping the 3 wood I added a 64* and it’s been great.

I carry all 3: hybrid, fairway wood and driving iron. They all have their place and yardage gaps.

Me too

TAY; 7.5* SIM  SPEEDER 57  S.  (44 3/4")

TTL; 13.5* TSI 2 DIA BLU 70 S.  (42 7/8")

SRZ; 18* 85 U STEELFIBER 95I S. ( 39 3/4")

Cal; 4/5i EPIC, 6i-7i MVRK PR, 8i-PW MB  

Cal; 52* X FRG STK W. 
Cal;  ODYSSEY W B/W