Norboo

What are some good Heavenwoods?

What are your thoughts on:

Rogue

Epic

Steel Head

GBB

Are there any other recent versions?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played my new GBB Heavenwood for the first time yesterday. Set to 22 degrees as I figured it'd be too close in distance to my 4W otherwise.

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

First time out and instantly fell in love.

Super forgiving, gets up in a hurry, and sits down soft. Has a pleasing "tink" sound on contact too.

Previously I was using a 22 deg hybrid for my ~200 yard distance, but I wasn't happy with the low ball flight on it and wanted something that flew higher and landed softer.

The Heavenwood is exactly what I was looking for.

I hit it anywhere from 190 - 230 yards, in all kinds of lies, including off the tee on some of the trickier par 4s on my home track, and it performed fantastic in every situation.

I was concerned that it wouldn't work too well out of heavy rough compared to my hybrid, but I had one brutal lie on a side hill with ball at knee height, about 250 to the green. Hit the Heavenwood and ended up about 20 yards short of the green for an easy chip and birdie.

Haven't played any of the others, but after that first round I've bought into the hype. It's already my favourite club in the bag after just that one round.

One thing I should mention: It flies HIGH. So if strong winds are common in your area then it may not be the best choice.

I played my new GBB Heavenwood for the first time yesterday. Set to 22 degrees as I figured it'd be too close in distance to my 4W otherwise.

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

Super forgiving, gets up in a hurry, and sits down soft. Has a pleasing "tink" sound on contact too.

Previously I was using a 22 deg hybrid for my ~200 yard distance, but I wasn't happy with the low ball flight on it and wanted something that flew higher and landed softer.

I hit it anywhere from 190 - 230 yards, in all kinds of lies, including off the tee on some of the trickier par 4s on my home track, and it performed fantastic in every situation.

I was concerned that it wouldn't work too well out of heavy rough compared to my hybrid, but I had one brutal lie on a side hill with ball at knee height, about 250 to the green. Hit the Heavenwood and ended up about 20 yards short of the green for an easy chip and birdie.

Haven't played any of the others, but after that first round I've bought into the hype. It's already my favourite club in the bag after just that one round.

One thing I should mention: It flies HIGH. So if strong winds are common in your area then it may not be the best choice.

I game the same heavenwood and would agree with all of this except the sound. When you hit it pure it is LOUD. Too loud for my tastes. It draws attention on the course. But so does its performance. I have had more people ask "what is that" than any other club i have owned.

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

I game the same heavenwood and would agree with all of this except the sound. When you hit it pure it is LOUD. Too loud for my tastes. It draws attention on the course. But so does its performance. I have had more people ask "what is that" than any other club i have owned.

Weird, I don't find it loud at all.

My playing partners yesterday were also asking me what the heck I was hitting as I was hitting it further than their drivers on the holes where I used it off the tee.

Heavenwoods are and have been awesome since their debut back in the 90s.

Mine is custom made, Razr Fit Xtreme 7 wood head, with a 4 wood Matrix Black Tie....it's mine and I won't be giving it up anytime soon.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

Callaway clubs seems inconsistent with their acoustics. I had a mini driver that was so loud, I ended up selling.

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

Weird, I don't find it loud at all.

My playing partners yesterday were also asking me what the heck I was hitting as I was hitting it further than their drivers on the holes where I used it off the tee.

Most of the time i like the sound. It was one of the things that pushed my old 7 wood out of the bag. But there are rare times it i would describe the sound as piercing.

Kuro Kage stiff shaft.

Callaway clubs seems inconsistent with their acoustics. I had a mini driver that was so loud, I ended up selling.

Yeah i had the 3 wood and still have the 9 wood and 1.5 mini all in the same model..... the 3 and 9 seemed like every other fw from other companies. The mini is a little loud but nothing like the heavenwood can be

I have the Epic HW and it has the Project X T800 65 shaft in regular flex. Callaway pre-owned was having a sale and I got a good deal on it. Overall I like it and it's a good next club after driver. The only thing I don't like about it is the gloss crown. I think the GBB HW has the matte finish on the crown.

It does indeed.

Picked mine up in near-new condition on the bay for $US 80. Pretty good value at that price point. Then found out that ebay had it's 15% off everything sale the very next day. Ah well.

My issue with them is shaft length. When I owned the v series HW it measured 43 3/8” to the end of the grip in stock length. As a 10 capper and 5’4” that was simply too long to hit consistently. I’m gaming a Ping G Sf tec 19* and it goes the same distance (200) but is 2 3/8” shorter shaft wise and pretty much is automatic. If I shortened the HW to 41” it simply lost the oomph.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

You guys wore me down. I just ordered a GBB Heavenwood with the KK 50 in "very good" condition from CPO.

We'll see how it fares against my G 7 wood and up to the TEE EX10 4 wood that I think has kicked out my G400 SFT 16 degree for now.

I bought, then traded a G SFT 5 wood for an almost new G 7 wood earlier this season. There probably isn't much total distance difference between the two, at least at my swingspeed, and I was conscious avoiding the lefts with the 5 SFT. But I've missed the extra easy height and carry the 5 SFT provided, perhaps from the extra spin. I thought of it as Ping's Heavenwood equivalent, with similar loft, shaft length and headsize.

I also find the G fairways (not so much the hybrids) a bit "harsh" compared to the G400. Since I've been battling a bad back all season that has kept me off the course a lot, a softer feel wouldn't be a bad thing. We'll see.

I have the GBB 2015 version. I think I have it set one degree lower than stock. I really like it. The only club I've kept in play longer is my RBZ 3 wood. This is a very easy to hit club off the turf and teed low for tight par 4s as well.

Ping G425 LST 9*
Ping G400 3W

Ping G425 Max 7W
Ping G410 4H, 5H, 6H
Ping G425 7H

Ping G410 8-U

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54*

Ping G410 L
SC Special Select NP2 35”

You guys wore me down. I just ordered a GBB Heavenwood with the KK 50 in "very good" condition from CPO.

We'll see how it fares against my G 7 wood and up to the TEE EX10 4 wood that I think has kicked out my G400 SFT 16 degree for now.

I bought, then traded a G SFT 5 wood for an almost new G 7 wood earlier this season. There probably isn't much total distance difference between the two, at least at my swingspeed, and I was conscious avoiding the lefts with the 5 SFT. But I've missed the extra easy height and carry the 5 SFT provided, perhaps from the extra spin. I thought of it as Ping's Heavenwood equivalent, with similar loft, shaft length and headsize.

I also find the G fairways (not so much the hybrids) a bit "harsh" compared to the G400. Since I've been battling a bad back all season that has kept me off the course a lot, a softer feel wouldn't be a bad thing. We'll see.

have you had a chance to try your GBB Heavenwood yet? Review vs. Ping G400 7 wood? Thanks

I have the GBB Heavenwood in the stock KK stiff shaft, set one degree higher than standard, and love it. I do choke up on it an inch or so, which some might think as defeating the purpose, but I like the fact that if I really wanted to let it rip, I can just move the club in my hands.

I bought it for very reasons specific to the course I play at most, in particular a troublesome dogleg tee shot that I need about 200 yards out of, and it's been perfect. If the tees are set in the forward position, I'll get enough height on my tee shot to carry the trees. If the tees are set back, I can still reach the landing area with an easy swing.

As far as the sound goes, it's definitely louder than the BB Fusion fairway, but it doesn't bother me.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

We'll see how it fares against my G 7 wood ( and up to the TEE EX10 4 wood that I think has kicked out my G400 SFT 16 degree for now.

have you had a chance to try your GBB Heavenwood yet? Review vs. Ping G400 7 wood? Thanks

I picked up the GBB Heavenwood from UPS yesterday. No course time yet, but range time and I put it in the bag. Had 7 wood with me.

After experimenting, I've just put it in the standard setting.

As I said in my earlier post, my back has been giving me fits this year (getting better I think) and I found the G SFT 5 wood and G 7wood (not g400)-the face I believe- felt a bit "harsh" to me. Just coming through the ball generally with any club has been a challenge at times, at least with any oomph. I've had to stop rounds after a few holes. That includes the 7 wood, with less height/distance than when i traded the 5 wood for it just a couple of months ago. I can't tell you exact distance, but the Heavenwood seemed longer and easier to launch for me than the 7w. I'll never be hitting it 200 yards like some of the guys on here (or probably any club these days other than driver sometimes at my age).

So....one reason I think the GBB will work for me is the KK 50 Reg shaft that normally even at my meager swingspeed but short backswing and aggressive transition I would find whippy. One "virtue" of my current back issues is that I've been forced to a less aggressive backswing and transition so that's a good thing. I also play the KK TiNI Silver 60 in my ping 3 SFT wood and driver, so the feel isn't that much difference. The swingweight of the GBB is supposed to be D2, but it doesn't feel any different to me than the Pings that are supposed to be a couple of points lighter, and I'm usually pretty conscious of swingweight. There are of course other heavier shaft options if tat might work better for you.

I'm also getting rid of my TEE EX10 4 wood mostly as it does have a harsher feel than the Pings. The last thing my back needs is more range time trying to make a club work. I opened up my arrms a bit and opened the SFT to the small - (again) and was pretty consistent off the mats vs the EX10. Simple and familiar is good.

Hope that helps and that you will report back in too.

FWIW I've played my new Heavenwood for 3 rounds now, and it's easily my favourite club in the bag.

Had a rough time off the tee on Sunday, leaving myself 200-220 to the green on 3-4 occasions. Grabbed the HW (at 22 deg) and stuck the green on all but one (which was fringe) including one to within 6 feet (which I promptly missed the birdie putt on)

Have a tough par 4 with a tree protecting the right side of the fairway. Can either hit a shorter club left of it and stop it before the fairway ends, split the 10 yard gap between tree and TREES, or try to go over it. The Heavenwood went over it easily, leaving me a nice short 130 yard approach vs the 170-odd I'd normally have.

I actually ended up using it off the tee on a few holes once my driver started going wayward and was still able to push it out to 230, which isn't a whole lot shorter than my driver goes anyway. My 4W is feeling a little neglected after picking up this bad boy.

Gave it to one of our head office guys to swing at our company scramble on Friday and he was loving it too. He's now gone and ordered one himself :)

We'll see how it fares against my G 7 wood ( and up to the TEE EX10 4 wood that I think has kicked out my G400 SFT 16 degree for now.

I picked up the GBB Heavenwood from UPS yesterday. No course time yet, but range time and I put it in the bag. Had 7 wood with me.

After experimenting, I've just put it in the standard setting.

As I said in my earlier post, my back has been giving me fits this year (getting better I think) and I found the G SFT 5 wood and G 7wood (not g400)-the face I believe- felt a bit "harsh" to me. Just coming through the ball generally with any club has been a challenge at times, at least with any oomph. I've had to stop rounds after a few holes. That includes the 7 wood, with less height/distance than when i traded the 5 wood for it just a couple of months ago. I can't tell you exact distance, but the Heavenwood seemed longer and easier to launch for me than the 7w. I'll never be hitting it 200 yards like some of the guys on here (or probably any club these days other than driver sometimes at my age).

So....one reason I think the GBB will work for me is the KK 50 Reg shaft that normally even at my meager swingspeed but short backswing and aggressive transition I would find whippy. One "virtue" of my current back issues is that I've been forced to a less aggressive backswing and transition so that's a good thing. I also play the KK TiNI Silver 60 in my ping 3 SFT wood and driver, so the feel isn't that much difference. The swingweight of the GBB is supposed to be D2, but it doesn't feel any different to me than the Pings that are supposed to be a couple of points lighter, and I'm usually pretty conscious of swingweight. There are of course other heavier shaft options if tat might work better for you.

I'm also getting rid of my TEE EX10 4 wood mostly as it does have a harsher feel than the Pings. The last thing my back needs is more range time trying to make a club work. I opened up my arrms a bit and opened the SFT to the small - (again) and was pretty consistent off the mats vs the EX10. Simple and familiar is good.

Hope that helps and that you will report back in too.

Ah heck, I'm the guy that doesn't like to have extra clubs around...often sell them too quickly.

But I just took advantage of CPO sale to get a "Like New" GBB Heavenwood while it's still available as a spare, or to keep or sell the other later. Light shaft was the only "Llke New" option, but what the hey, I have another shaft that works to swap in from the first buy. The "Very Good" condition I just got may be that by CPO standards, but it is showing some wear...and if I really like it how will it be a year from now? One observation from the handful of Callaway fairways I've owned is the faces do not hold up nearly as well for wear as say Ping, that otherwise have mostly been my fairways the past five seasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've gone back to the Ping G 7 wood after a couple of rounds with the Heavenwood. Maybe partly shaft length but mosty the KK 50g was going low and left when I went "after it" at all. Usually signs it isn't firm enough for user transition. The Ping on the other hand in play yesterday was reliable, point and shoot and a good gapping to my reliable G400 16 degree "3 wood" that also is back in the bag.

I'm selling the VG condition head with the A flex shaft and for now will closet Like New head with KK reg to try again or sell in the future.

Update: I've gone back to the Ping G 7 wood after a couple of rounds with the Heavenwood. Maybe partly shaft length but mosty the KK 50g was going low and left when I went "after it" at all. Usually signs it isn't firm enough for user transition. The Ping on the other hand in play yesterday was reliable, point and shoot and a good gapping to my reliable G400 16 degree "3 wood" that also is back in the bag.

I'm selling the VG condition head with the A flex shaft and for now will closet Like New head with KK reg to try again or sell in the future.

Too bad that it didn't work out for you. Mine is still my #1 club in the bag. Bailed me out on a few holes again last night where I topped a drive and still had 220-230 to the green. Hit the green and stuck each time. Saved par when I had no business making it after those tee shots.

I'm curious how far that thing will go if I dial it down from the 22 deg I have it set to, but the 190-230 I can hit it covers my gaps perfectly.