Playing Torrey Pines South Course - Any Advice?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it in the fairway and hit the small ball before the big ball. While the ball can sit up on kikuyu it won't run much and is unforgiving if you hit it fat or it sits down in the rough.

I played as a single a few years back and my whole foursome that included a 3 mini tour players walked carrying their own bags.

It's a really nice course but it's not one that will blow you away with constant ridiculous visuals or zen-like experience, except for a few holes. I was a lot more in awe of Whistling Straights for example just walking the course. I'm not trying to take away from your experience or anything, it will be AWESOME, and you recognize all the holes from TV which is the best part.

I wouldn't use a caddy. The entire course is right in front of you, there's no blind shots. You can also use driver on pretty much every hole....i didnt find a caddy helped all that much (i had one). But again you can see all the problems off the tee, you don't really need a caddy unless you just want one for the ride.

The pro tees aren't available. I think the tips are around 7000-7100 and the one-ups are 6700-6800 but someone else can confirm.

You gotta hit fairways there or it's not a fun round. The rough kills the ball right where it lands and there's a lot of long par 4's. So missing fairways leads to a lot of 170-200yd shots out of the rough and hitting the green isn't always possible. The greens aren't overly tricky. But if you play the tips, you GOTTA hit fairways or it will not be fun

The range is a muni caliber range. Nothing special. It's next to a road and you're hitting off mats

Also last thing i can tell you, if you miss the fairway on #1 by a mile on the right side, you can hit the cart path twice and end up with 90yds in. It's the "smart" play LOL

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Buy a divot tool and marker at least.....i still use mine to this day for every round.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Haven't played there in a very, very long time. I think the Andy Williams Open was still being played there when I used to play a couple times a month. :)

Of course this was before Torrey Pines was 'discovered'. Are you saying they now have caddies? Wow.

There was this par 3 on the South course that if there was a on-shore wind, it took 3 wood or better to get there...

Have fun, and be careful what you bring back from CA. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

It's a really nice course but it's not one that will blow you away with constant ridiculous visuals or zen-like experience, except for a few holes. I was a lot more in awe of Whistling Straights for example just walking the course. I'm not trying to take away from your experience or anything, it will be AWESOME, and you recognize all the holes from TV which is the best part.

I wouldn't use a caddy. The entire course is right in front of you, there's no blind shots. You can also use driver on pretty much every hole....i didnt find a caddy helped all that much (i had one). But again you can see all the problems off the tee, you don't really need a caddy unless you just want one for the ride.

The pro tees aren't available. I think the tips are around 7000-7100 and the one-ups are 6700-6800 but someone else can confirm.

You gotta hit fairways there or it's not a fun round. The rough kills the ball right where it lands and there's a lot of long par 4's. So missing fairways leads to a lot of 170-200yd shots out of the rough and hitting the green isn't always possible. The greens aren't overly tricky. But if you play the tips, you GOTTA hit fairways or it will not be fun

The range is a muni caliber range. Nothing special. It's next to a road and you're hitting off mats

Also last thing i can tell you, if you miss the fairway on #1 by a mile on the right side, you can hit the cart path twice and end up with 90yds in. It's the "smart" play LOL

thanks!

The only reason I want a caddie is to walk and not have to carry or Push. I love walking different courses but hate pushing it annoys me.

6700 ish sounds fair. Plus they have 917 wood and AP2s for rentals which saves the hassle of bringing my own clubs for only 1 round.

2024 Bag TBD

I played Torrey Pines South this past January. Not a great driving or ball striking round. Really good chipping and pitching round and putted well. Keep the ball in the fairway and the ball below the pins. I played the green tees. Enjoy the views and course. Have a great time!

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

thanks!

The only reason I want a caddie is to walk and not have to carry or Push. I love walking different courses but hate pushing it annoys me.

6700 ish sounds fair. Plus they have 917 wood and AP2s for rentals which saves the hassle of bringing my own clubs for only 1 round.

Caddies have to be set up in advance so that they have someone there on time. Ask Qmany, he’s had my buddy Grant on the bag for his round there and using a caddie is just fun and helps keep the round there lite. Jeff is correct and the tips are not available for play.

just finished.

What a disappointment. Walked off on 15 after 5.5 hours.

Was paired up with a not so friendly 2 some. Conditions were horrible. Greens were somewhat slow and the place was a zoo.

Happy I said I played but definitely not a must play IMO.

Oh well. Played Green Tees - only birdie on the day 155 yard downhil into the wind number 3. Hit a 9 to 10 feet and made the putt. Made a bunch of doubles as well.

2024 Bag TBD

I play there Sunday... this is disappointing to hear. I am confident that I will be playing with atleast 1 good dude (WRXer that made the tee time).

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I don’t know your hdcp or driving average, but for sure choose the tees that will give you short-mid iron second shots. You don’t want to be struggling all day with trying to find your ball and then hacking it out of the crap. I spent a lot of time fighting the course many years ago and it wasn’t much fun.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I don’t know your hdcp or driving average, but for sure choose the tees that will give you short-mid iron second shots. You don’t want to be struggling all day with trying to find your ball and then hacking it out of the crap. I spent a lot of time fighting the course many years ago and it wasn’t much fun.

Im a 5 and played the green tees. It was fine (6650). The course was pretty wide open actually and I didn't lose a ball. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more if it wasn't so slow but making the turn and having 3 groups waiting on number 10 after paying $202 for the round and $80 for the rental clubs and $40 for the cart and $16 for range balls was extremely disappointing.

2024 Bag TBD

Don't plan on ever playing it again, but when we played there a few years ago in March we must have gotten lucky. The round wasn't unreasonable, delay on 3 expected, and the "turn" realty wasn't a turn as I recall just went to the 10th tee and nothing unusual. Great day, enjoyed the experience very much. Range sucked.

Had I seen this thread before you went, I would have advised you not to waste your time. People think that because the weather is great in SD, the golf is great too. Not so. Great weather... HORRIBLE golf. Unless you can afford to below to a private club, it is not a good place to play. FANTASTIC weather though. Best in the country.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Caddies have to be set up in advance so that they have someone there on time. Ask Qmany, he's had my buddy Grant on the bag for his round there and using a caddie is just fun and helps keep the round there lite. Jeff is correct and the tips are not available for play.

I played with a two-some who had Grant on the bag. Great guy.

We are not going off that early. 2:50p is our tee time

just finished.

What a disappointment. Walked off on 15 after 5.5 hours.

Was paired up with a not so friendly 2 some. Conditions were horrible. Greens were somewhat slow and the place was a zoo.

Happy I said I played but definitely not a must play IMO.

Oh well. Played Green Tees - only birdie on the day 155 yard downhil into the wind number 3. Hit a 9 to 10 feet and made the putt. Made a bunch of doubles as well.

What time did you start? I played Wednesday at 7 am and we were done in 4 hours. :-)

I’m planning on playing next Sunday morning...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

It looks like they have 10 minute intervals, keep the rough manageable and the greens slow. So why the long rounds?

Im a 5 and played the green tees. It was fine (6650). The course was pretty wide open actually and I didn't lose a ball. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it much more if it wasn't so slow but making the turn and having 3 groups waiting on number 10 after paying $202 for the round and $80 for the rental clubs and $40 for the cart and $16 for range balls was extremely disappointing.

The $202 for the round is hard to fathom for me. Because this is a US Open rota course and a lot of non residents will play the city of San Diego has chosen to gouge this group of golfers. Is Torrey Pines South worth $100/round? No. Is it worth $45/round? Yes. Throw in a cart for $20 and maybe the value is more realistic. When I played the conditions were much better as it was late March when I played. The course had recovered from the PGA tournament a couple months prior, greens were rolling around 9, rough was about 1 1/2 and fairways had filled in. The greens reminded me of my home course (Poa Annua grass and same type of sloping construction) so I putted well. Scenery was really nice but not $202+$40 nice. I played the course because I have always wanted to, even before it became a US Open venue. I now wish I had prior to the US Open rota because the cost would have been much less and more in line of what this course is really worth. I understand San Diego county residents pay a much lower green fee, something more in line of what it should be. I played it once, I won't play it twice.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I'm planning on playing next Sunday morning...

Hope you enjoy it!

It was a bucket list thing for my oldest daughter (huge Tiger fan) and a surprise side trip my dad and I took her on when we visited Palm Springs one March. I thought the views available were stunning, loved the course even though it wasn't long after the tourney and had just been punched a week before (we were warned) and walked it and we all played pretty well, actually (for us).

A little mist early, temps in the 60s, sun came out - beautiful day. Soak it in!

LOL, based on actual first hand experience, don't take the hike down the cliff several hundred feet to the beach below and not far away where the parasailers are launching unless you want to encounter full frontal nudity of what I would consider not the good kind! And if you are still allowed to go down that "trail", don't do it with a knee that needs surgery - the climb back up will make you question whether you want to just sit down and stay on the rocks forever.

I strongly agree that the courses aren’t worth the non-resident rates. But everything in San Diego is expensive (especially north by La Jolla), so golf is no different.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

Appreciation of courses is so subjective. Was around $180 when we played. It was a lot and you either pay and play or you don't, that's life. I thought it was worth it for sure and a nice change from the desert that week.

Had someone who has an interest in one of the poorer golf course in Iowa (and has recently been to Scotland) call St. Andrews a "goat track" just a week or so ago. She's entitled to her opinion and I let it pass - but a lot of folks many times a year are upset to pay high weekend rates to play her course and find out much of it is largely unplayable and overgrown with weeds, poorly maintained.

All point of view.

I played at 1230. I've never played a slower round. The local in our group kept rushing us. After the 6th hole I said I've waited 10 min on every shot why are you rushing us??? (Playing out of turn, rushing, putting with pin in, ..).

It was just not an enjoyable day. The course seems scoreable and some of the views were great but I can name 5 course I've played in the past year that were better and 1/4 of the price

2024 Bag TBD