New irons- Jpx 900 tours or TM 790

BryanS4

Alright guys, I’ve been racking my brain and reading like crazy and took home a 7 iron demo of both today. Can’t seem to make up my mind.

I play to right at a 2. Decent iron player, not the most solid part of my game, which would be Driver and greenside. Hit 30 balls of each today into the net with with the Skytrak running. Got a little extra distance from the 790s, but I think I liked the feel of the 900s a little better.

Question to those that have hit both, which do you prefer? I’ll hit a few more tomorrow, just curious what you guys think.

Gaming Apex Pros now and quite honestly might just stick with them, not sure.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tours. You shouldn't really need the distance or forgiveness of the 790s at a 2 index.

The 790 demo I have is the exact sticks you’re gaming. I really like the feel of the Modus 120s. I think it’s the biggest reason I’m looking to ditch the Apex Pros, not a huge fan of the C-Taper 120s I went with

I mean... you can pull the C Tapers and replace them with modus 120 in your apex pros.

Tours. You shouldn't really need the distance or forgiveness of the 790s at a 2 index.

The 790 demo I have is the exact sticks you’re gaming. I really like the feel of the Modus 120s. I think it’s the biggest reason I’m looking to ditch the Apex Pros, not a huge fan of the C-Taper 120s I went with

I mean... you can pull the C Tapers and replace them with modus 120 in your apex pros.

I’m going to do that for sure, just was thinking about picking up a new set as well. Like to switch it up every few years.

And yes to the post above, understand two different irons, that’s the reason I was asking. Never played any sort of GI iron, but they dont look horrible to my eye and I’ll check the ego at the door or any extra forgiveness.

Irons have been since college the weak point of my game. I’ll hit greens, but I’ve never been a super solid ball striker, just decent.

I’ve seriously looked at the 790 set and ended up buying the 2 UDI as a 5 wood replacement.

For me, the feel, control, consistency and tighter dispersion pattern goes to the 900 Tour, along with enough forgiveness.

They aren’t short irons at all when you consider finding the sweet spot and comparing loft to loft in other irons. I would be more concern which irons meets your desired launch conditions? For example, will you be able to get enough spin or decent descent angle to hold greens?

Big plus to the Tours, price just dropped. Lastly, 3 majors is validation.

Some concerns with the 790 are:

1. Quality issues or concern

2. Swing weights being off/too light

3. Long left misses

4. I’m a 3-PW (48*), SW and LW set guy since I make room for a 2 iron. Your looking at 4 wedges if you go to 4-U in the 790 and will also have to consider an extra cost for 3 iron.

Go with Mizuno, after I learned on the Gear Dive the same clubs they sell to the public are the same thing they give their tour players, I just can't question their craftsmanship. much better quality control and value IMHO.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

I'd be picking the Mizuno personally from those two but I would certainly be looking at more than those two.

Others worth a mention would be the Titleist CB and AP2, Wilson Staff V6, Srixon 9 or 7 series.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

It just seems like every one wants to compare a certain iron to the P790's. I will say this it best for you to go out if possible and demo as many as you can which is what I did and then decide for yourself as my opinion would be the TMP 790's. If your fitted properly I'm sure you will be satisfied with your choice.

You will find out to the PXG owners they are the best thing out there but the price scares many people away and those who defend their purchase by saying we are PXG hater because we comment so much about the price well ask them if they carry the Sugar Daddy wedges as I'm sure the asking price is not worth $750. So there the Hero's program available as it's too bad they can't sell the Gen 2's for the Hero's asking price as they would sell a ton of those clubs I'm sure

TM has done well for so many years especially with their drivers as their irons are now a reason to switch over too. Especially the P 790's as they are the real deal. They have almost everything going for them that we could want from a set of irons as they are not cheap but its your money and no one should tell you how to spend it unless Lol it's your wife as I won't go there.

Callaway is another good choice as I left the CF 16's after 2 1/2 years for the P 790's and have not regretted it. Callaway has many other good choices besides them. You can not deny that PING's have been a leader for many years i the Golf industry as I was a PING Ho for many years as I have my reason for not sticking with PING's as I would have seriously considered the i500's if it were not for the 790's already out and I had the chance to demo them both.

Mizuno's can't be beat when it comes to feel unless you want spend the money again and get a set of Epon's as that too is a matter of opinion so if you have narrowed it down between the TM 790's and JPX 900 Tours flip a coin, Don't let anyone talk you into getting a set that you have not hit for yourself as we all have those rounds where no mater what set we have we don't score as well as we would like. I think more people on this forum would favor Mizunos over TM when it comes to irons.

The 900's feel better than the 790 and they are as forgiving as the 790's but I like the looks and the distance as I'm able to control my yardages and I love how easy the long irons are to hit. Good luck with your choice and be sure to gives us a report later on your purchase

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I've seriously looked at the 790 set and ended up buying the 2 UDI as a 5 wood replacement.

For me, the feel, control, consistency and tighter dispersion pattern goes to the 900 Tour, along with enough forgiveness.

They aren't short irons at all when you consider finding the sweet spot and comparing loft to loft in other irons. I would be more concern which irons meets your desired launch conditions? For example, will you be able to get enough spin or decent descent angle to hold greens?

3. Long left misses

4. I'm a 3-PW (48*), SW and LW set guy since I make room for a 2 iron. Your looking at 4 wedges if you go to 4-U in the 790 and will also have to consider an extra cost for 3 iron.

I've owned these now 8 months, no issues at all with quality. I suppose since they are hollow there's maaaaybe some more failure points, but I haven't read of like a mass recall or anything.

Also, I swing weighted my full set, and only the 4i was off by 1 point.

A long left miss could maybe be attributed to these relative to a traditional blade, because the lofts are stronger and they are about 1* more upright. I do notice that compared to my MP54's, my miss tends to now be a big hook, where before it was a push. I've looked at trackman numbers though and I tend to end up with a really closed face on those misses... so how can a club be doing that?? It's probably not and it's mainly me, potentially reacting to something...but I don't think having Tours would really fix a face that's 9* closed to path.

I would recommend the JPX Forged instead of the Tour.

Mainly because you mentioned you struggle a little on your irons. JPX F are a little more forgiving than Tour.

The 790 are great clubs, but Mizunos have some advantage on feeling.

I have MP18SC (best irons ever) and also the 790.

The 790 are excellent. Some of the bad comments like the one above come from people that never owned Them. You know how this works.

I only prefer Mizunos because the feeling I get from them are making me a better hitter. You can immediately feel how you hit the ball and the good shots are so rewarding, like intoxicating.

I play my Mizuno irons 1* upright which is equivalent to TM in a standard.

With the Tours, my launch angel, back spin, side spin and decent angles are optimized which equates to a fade that comes back towars the target line.

With the 790, the launch, lower spin and less side spin shot the ball left and stayed left.

My other concern with the 790 was the extra distance created gapping issues on the long side and short side.Even now, with the 2 iron creeping up to my 3 wood, I am looking at strong 3 woods to have that separation. At the moment, I swap between my 5 wood to dial it back.

I also have my U45 in the shop for a recoil 110 shaft swap to see how that works out as well.

I've seriously looked at the 790 set and ended up buying the 2 UDI as a 5 wood replacement.

They aren't short irons at all when you consider finding the sweet spot and comparing loft to loft in other irons. I would be more concern which irons meets your desired launch conditions? For example, will you be able to get enough spin or decent descent angle to hold greens?

3. Long left misses

4. I'm a 3-PW (48*), SW and LW set guy since I make room for a 2 iron. Your looking at 4 wedges if you go to 4-U in the 790 and will also have to consider an extra cost for 3 iron.

I've owned these now 8 months, no issues at all with quality. I suppose since they are hollow there's maaaaybe some more failure points, but I haven't read of like a mass recall or anything.

Also, I swing weighted my full set, and only the 4i was off by 1 point.

A long left miss could maybe be attributed to these relative to a traditional blade, because the lofts are stronger and they are about 1* more upright. I do notice that compared to my MP54's, my miss tends to now be a big hook, where before it was a push. I've looked at trackman numbers though and I tend to end up with a really closed face on those misses... so how can a club be doing that?? It's probably not and it's mainly me, potentially reacting to something...but I don't think having Tours would really fix a face that's 9* closed to path.

I love my 900T. The feedback is incredible and I love the look of them at address. Can't go wrong with Mizuno.

Titleist TSi3 / Ventus Red

Titleist TSi2 16.5* / Oban Kiyoshi Purple

Srixon ZX 21* / Tensei Pro White

Titleist T100 5-P / Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50/7, 55/13, 60/6 / DG TI S400

Toulon Portland

Srixon Z Star Diamond / Vice Pro Plus