TaylorMade P790 or Ping i500

swaldron

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither. I’ve had multiple sets of both , and t-MB’s. These hollow head or filled irons just don’t have the distance control of solid clubs imo. The distances these fly are phenomenal but being able to repeat those distances is tricky. Ymmv but that’s my experience.

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

That's what I'm afraid of, inconsistent distances

i understand the distance thing but lets be honest no matter what club we have our distance is going to be inconsistent we don't practice enough to be dialed in ....I'm more concerned about the one i don't hit on the face getting their ....so once in a while i air mail a green im sure it helps more than it hurts

That's what I'm afraid of, inconsistent distances

i understand the distance thing but lets be honest no matter what club we have our distance is going to be inconsistent we don't practice enough to be dialed in ....I'm more concerned about the one i don't hit on the face getting their ....so once in a while i air mail a green im sure it helps more than it hurts

Maybe for your game, not mine.

And that’s ok.

Airmailing a green for me is double bogey or worse. That’s a round killer.

A Vokey wedge or 2.

Our database has tens of thousands of 790 shots, and thousands of i500s now (in addition to gobs of other 'spring face' iron shots). There is absolutely no difference in the number of outlier yardage shots with theses irons compared to non-springy clubs. Unless you are a tour level ball striker, everyone will occasionally produce a strike noticeably better than they are used to (or more likely have dirty grooves or something that markedly reduces spin). If one is primed to think this is something that happens more often with a particular iron, that shot will stick out more in their memory. We see this all the time, an average joe golfer absolutely pures a 'blade' iron and gushes about how sweet and solid it feels. They do the same with a 790 and immediately talk about how they're worried about springy/hollow clubs giving them 'fliers'.

I have now played two rounds with the Ping i500. Before buying them I was a little oncerned about distance control and flyers but that has not been the case. I was playing the i25 previously and now I am 1 club longer with the i500 and for whatever reason my dispersion is way better. I am playing the same KBS Tour shaft that is in my i25's. To me they are so easy to hit. In the two rounds I have played with them I have hit more really nice shots close to the pin than I have in the past 5-6 rounds combined with the i25's. I don't have a good enough swing to play a blade but these look like a blade and have that nice clean look with no offset. They are not soft like a blade and will not give you the feedback like a blade will give you on miss hits. I was surprised at how miss hits are not punished much with the i500. A few shots I thought I hit poorly still had a pretty good result. I have the 5-pw and I am going to order the 3 iron to use as a driving iron. So far I could not be happier.

Our database has tens of thousands of 790 shots, and thousands of i500s now (in addition to gobs of other 'spring face' iron shots). There is absolutely no difference in the number of outlier yardage shots with theses irons compared to non-springy clubs. Unless you are a tour level ball striker, everyone will occasionally produce a strike noticeably better than they are used to (or more likely have dirty grooves or something that markedly reduces spin). If one is primed to think this is something that happens more often with a particular iron, that shot will stick out more in their memory. We see this all the time, an average joe golfer absolutely pures a 'blade' iron and gushes about how sweet and solid it feels. They do the same with a 790 and immediately talk about how they're worried about springy/hollow clubs giving them 'fliers'.

OMG FINALLY please everyone reference this post when speaking about distance GGGEEEEEZZZZZ

That's interesting, but for me, I had so many flown greens with the p790. Had to sell them.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

If you have a repeatable swing and consistent contact you will have consistent distance. There’s always gonna be that occasional outlier shot that goes a little farther or comes up a little shorter. Nobody is gonna drop 8 irons in a kiddie pool from 160 yards all day. These hollow head irons are just a new way of putting cavity back playability in a different design and are lofted and designed to go a little farther. The shaft and ball have a significant impact on spin too, it’s not just the clubhead.

That said the i500 is a nice club as well as the P790. Pings hold their value really well but the 790s are reselling and holding value well too. Hit them both and see which one you hit the best. If you hit them the same decide based on feel, price and looks.

If you have a repeatable swing and consistent contact you will have consistent distance. There's always gonna be that occasional outlier shot that goes a little farther or comes up a little shorter. Nobody is gonna drop 8 irons in a kiddie pool from 160 yards all day. These hollow head irons are just a new way of putting cavity back playability in a different design and are lofted and designed to go a little farther. The shaft and ball have a significant impact on spin too, it's not just the clubhead.

That said the i500 is a nice club as well as the P790. Pings hold their value really well but the 790s are reselling and holding value well too. Hit them both and see which one you hit the best. If you hit them the same decide based on feel, price and looks.

EXACTLY

Just got my i500's on August 16th. Played 18 holes with them today and while I still have some blown shots, there were some that were very nice indeed. All in all, I like the way they feel - especially when flushed. I disagree with everyone that said that they feel harsh and not much feedback. I don't think they feel harsh at all even when you don't hit them in the sweet spot. I can certainly tell when I don't hit them flush and the distance is doesn't not suffer too much.

I was a little concerned about getting them because I'm about a 12-15 handicap and 70 years old, but they feel every bit as good as my Apex CF16's and the distance is about a 1/2 club longer. I think I'll get an extra club length out of them after I get used to them a little more.

I think it takes about 6 rounds of golf before you get used to the differences in clubs.

There is one thing that is far superior to any other club that I've looked at... they look great at address. Not too bit and not too small.

Just got my i500's on August 16th. Played 18 holes with them today and while I still have some blown shots, there were some that were very nice indeed. All in all, I like the way they feel - especially when flushed. I disagree with everyone that said that they feel harsh and not much feedback. I don't think they feel harsh at all even when you don't hit them in the sweet spot. I can certainly tell when I don't hit them flush and the distance is doesn't not suffer too much.

I was a little concerned about getting them because I'm about a 12-15 handicap and 70 years old, but they feel every bit as good as my Apex CF16's and the distance is about a 1/2 club longer. I think I'll get an extra club length out of them after I get used to them a little more.

I think it takes about 6 rounds of golf before you get used to the differences in clubs.

There is one thing that is far superior to any other club that I've looked at... they look great at address. Not too bit and not too small.

For someone who just started to play golf after 3 years and jumping from your brand new Rogue x irons to now pings it appears you want to play golf like a pro but blame it on the clubs--it takes more than 3 years --------------callaway Rogue x are excellent clubs--it takes years to play this game and get the results your looking for

I’m a Ping guy traditionally and wanted to like the i500 more but in the sim on 2 sewerage occasion the 790 outperformed the i500 for me. Distance and consistency. I definitely prefer the looks of the i500 topline, sole, and offset more but for some reason the 790 felt better more often and showed better results. I was surprised.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Have had p790s for a few weeks and have been very happy with the results on my mishits. Thin and toe shots make it to front of green instead of 10 yards short of green. I’ve been playing mizuno mx25s for years, and I was surprised at how much more forgiving the p790s are.

I tried the i500s briefly while getting fit, but just hit better with the p790s. I was actually most intrigued by the gen 1 pxgs, which are close to the same price as the ping and TM irons.

I like the i500's better than the P790's, I'm using the same shaft on both but the i500's are longer and I prefer the feel over the P790's.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

For someone who just started to play golf after 3 years and jumping from your brand new Rogue x irons to now pings it appears you want to play golf like a pro but blame it on the clubs--it takes more than 3 years --------------callaway Rogue x are excellent clubs--it takes years to play this game and get the results your looking for

As I've mentioned numerous times, the offset of the Rogue X does not appeal to me. I'm sure I could get used to it, but I was really looking for something with a similar offset to the Apex CF16 and a little more distance. Thought the Rogue X would be it, but I think the i500 might be better suited to my swing and game. I'm a practical person and realize that I will never approach par golf. That doesn't mean that I don't want to be the best player that I can be. If that means searching for the right club to allow me to reach that goal, then so be it. Here's a few things that makes the i500 more appealing than the Rogue X.

- thinner top line

- more attractive

- much thinner sole so turf interaction is much nicer

- doesn't seem to drag through rough as much as the Rogue X

- lighter swing weight

- less offset

- launches a little higher

- more backspin (tested on a LM)

- easier to control the spin on the ball

- I actually love the sound of the ball hitting the club

With all these things that I prefer in the i500, the Rogue X is a marvelous club and I will continue to evaluate it against the i500 for the rest of the season and then decide which one to keep and which one to part with.

I have now played two rounds with the Ping i500. Before buying them I was a little oncerned about distance control and flyers but that has not been the case. I was playing the i25 previously and now I am 1 club longer with the i500 and for whatever reason my dispersion is way better. I am playing the same KBS Tour shaft that is in my i25's. To me they are so easy to hit. In the two rounds I have played with them I have hit more really nice shots close to the pin than I have in the past 5-6 rounds combined with the i25's. I don't have a good enough swing to play a blade but these look like a blade and have that nice clean look with no offset. They are not soft like a blade and will not give you the feedback like a blade will give you on miss hits. I was surprised at how miss hits are not punished much with the i500. A few shots I thought I hit poorly still had a pretty good result. I have the 5-pw and I am going to order the 3 iron to use as a driving iron. So far I could not be happier.

I'm still on my i25s but having a bad itch to upgrade lately. Distance gains from the i25 intrigue me but i don't want anything harder to hit. Sounds like you feel the i500 is just as easy if not easier to hit than the i25?

Neither. I’ve had multiple sets of both , and t-MB’s. These hollow head or filled irons just don’t have the distance control of solid clubs imo. The distances these fly are phenomenal but being able to repeat those distances is tricky. Ymmv but that’s my experience.

You’ve had multiple sets of the i500’s? They haven’t even been out a month...

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I think one main factor not being considered with the talk of distance control with this type of iron, compared with a single piece forging.

How may people actually play for a mis-strike? Its more than I imagined having played more rounds outside my group this season.

They both look great.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Neither. I've had multiple sets of both , and t-MB's. These hollow head or filled irons just don't have the distance control of solid clubs imo. The distances these fly are phenomenal but being able to repeat those distances is tricky. Ymmv but that's my experience.

You've had multiple sets of the i500's? They haven't even been out a month...

Yes. I have a problem. See my feedback. Chances are I've bought or sold to you. LOL

A Vokey wedge or 2.