Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

My Soul is Broken (distance issue)

mrfld ·  
mrfldmrfld  50Members Posts: 50
The end of last fall and beginning this year, I was pretty happy with my distances.

carry distances:
  • 60* 65 yds
  • 52* 100 yds
  • 8i 150 yds
  • 6i 165 yds
  • 23*H 190 yds

driver distances
  • The back net of the driving range is 230 yds away.
  • I was hitting the back net in flight or off one bounce.
  • My recorded playing distances using my GameGolf put my total distances between 230 and 260 yds.

My carry distances over the last month:
  • 60* 45 yds
  • 52* 85 yds
  • 8i 100 yds
  • 6i 130 yds
  • 23*h 140 yds

The biggest heart break is my driver--can't even carry 160 yds.

I don't think I am casting because I have been working hard to hold the wrist angle. I'm not hitting fat because contact feels solid.

Assuming I'm not casting or hitting fat, any ideas besides sell my clubs?
Posted:

Comments

• MonteScheinblumMonteScheinblum Rebellion Golf Southern California 18528Members Posts: 18,528
    “Working hard to hold my wrist angle.”

That is likely where the distance loss is...it’s at least contributing.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • garytgaryt  330Members Posts: 330
    I have no knowledge to be giving anyone swing advice but losing 50 yards off an 8 iron says something is drastically wrong. You say you're hitting it solid but an 80 year old hitting it solid would hit it more than 100 yards. You should post a video.
    Posted:
  • joedizzy1978joedizzy1978  132Members Posts: 132
    Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you’re hitting the ball on the face (I’d wager that it’s not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.
    Posted:
  • mrfldmrfld  50Members Posts: 50

Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you're hitting the ball on the face (I'd wager that it's not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.

Understood--however, my driver face I keep clean and wipe down to monitor where the impact is. The driver impact zone is center of face and above the equator even now.
    Posted:
    garyt wrote:

I have no knowledge to be giving anyone swing advice but losing 50 yards off an 8 iron says something is drastically wrong. You say you're hitting it solid but an 80 year old hitting it solid would hit it more than 100 yards. You should post a video.

Yes--exactly why my sole is breaking. I literally played lights out during my last round last month. I took off 3 days and went to the range and those posted distances happened instantly. During the last few weeks I've not gained any distance back. My swing feels no different.
    Posted:
  • GungHoGolfGungHoGolf SkyTrak Afficionado Austin, TX 905Members Posts: 905
    mrfld wrote:

Write down as many of the things you told yourself to do from the beginning of the year until present. If you ever find yourself thinking of re incorporating such things, slap yourself! Buy some impact tape or use, foot spray and actually see where you're hitting the ball on the face (I'd wager that it's not as solid as you think). Put some effort towards improving the quality and consistency of the strike. Any improvement in that area will garner gains in distance.

Understood--however, my driver face I keep clean and wipe down to monitor where the impact is. The driver impact zone is center of face and above the equator even now.

You’re making square contact and your driver distance has dropped from 240ish down to 160?? I don’t understand how that’s possible. Are you just bunting it? What is the ball flight like? Did you have a stroke? (Sorry, kidding, but that’s a remarkable loss of distance in one year.)
    Posted:

Advertisement

"Working hard to hold my wrist angle."

That is likely where the distance loss is...it's at least contributing.

Ok--I'll try changing anything.
    Posted:

mrfld wrote:

You're making square contact and your driver distance has dropped from 240ish down to 160?? I don't understand how that's possible. Are you just bunting it? What is the ball flight like? Did you have a stroke? (Sorry, kidding, but that's a remarkable loss of distance in one year.)

Yes--the anger I am feeling is ridiculous. The distance dropped, happen instantly. Bunting? No. In fact at one point I mentally snapped and just started swinging has hard as I physically could. Obviously that didn't help. I may have had an aneurysm because I lost my cool, kicked my bucket of half full balls. I believe the balls went further than my 60* wedge.
    Posted:
  • moehoganmoehogan  1069Members Posts: 1,069
    Without seeing a swing vid, I would guess that trying to hold the trail wrist angle might be causing you to steer the clubhead resulting in a loss of swing speed. If your ball flight is now higher, you could also be adding loft by scoop flipping to try to make up for the loss of speed by adding some trail hand slap.

Take a 6 or 7 iron and make continuous back and forth 9 to 3 swings as fast as you can with a full roll release on the through swing. Then try to hit a few balls will that feel. You probably need to find your way back to your original aggressiveness.
    Posted:
  • nlk10010nlk10010  344Members Posts: 344
    Well, everyone is going to get their .02 in here, but as someone whose 10-year career best is about how you're hitting now I am curious why you mention "holding the wrist angle" and "not casting" out of all the things you COULD have said. Did a trip to YouTube or an instructor or a tip from a friend precede any of this? The swing is extremely fragile and ANY attempt to improve it can cause a (temporary or permanent) "discontinuous" change. You know, roughly speaking: "Better is the enemy of good" (rather "perfect" is but I prefer my ex-physician's version).

Monte's experience has once again shown itself as he probably has honed in on the problem. I'm assuming of course that your distance measuring procedure isn't broken. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    "The company loves its money. If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

Professional golf swing crash test dummy. Please do not try at home (e.g. on a simulator) what you see me do on a closed course.

• AlexCzervicAlexCzervic  727Members Posts: 727
    It’s unlikely you will learn anything of value with your current mindset. To make matters worse, you can’t tell a horse where the water is and you can’t make him drink, but............

This would be a good excuse to learn how to use your right arm. Make a couple thousand right arm only swings. After that, tie rope to grip of club and around left shoulder, then make a couple thousand more swings. Keep some tension in rope at all times via right arm.

You may learn a few things or you may not.

Best of luck.

AC

Posted:

Advertisement
    nlk10010 wrote:

Well, everyone is going to get their .02 in here, but as someone whose 10-year career best is about how you're hitting now I am curious why you mention "holding the wrist angle" and "not casting" out of all the things you COULD have said. Did a trip to YouTube or an instructor or a tip from a friend precede any of this? The swing is extremely fragile and ANY attempt to improve it can cause a (temporary or permanent) "discontinuous" change. You know, roughly speaking: "Better is the enemy of good" (rather "perfect" is but I prefer my ex-physician's version).

Monte's experience has once again shown itself as he probably has honed in on the problem. I'm assuming of course that your distance measuring procedure isn't broken. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

To answer your question--I simply know that casting or early wrist break can kill distance. That being an issue moons ago as a beginner. When I first started playing, my 7i total distance was 150 (started playing golf in 2011). I read 5 Lessons last year and things really clicked after that. My distances jumped after reading that book.

I wasn't trying to change anything. I went to the range to practice and I feel like Cinderella at Midnight.
    Posted:

It’s unlikely you will learn anything of value with your current mindset. To make matters worse, you can’t tell a horse where the water is and you can’t make him drink, but............

This would be a good excuse to learn how to use your right arm. Make a couple thousand right arm only swings. After that, tie rope to grip of club and around left shoulder, then make a couple thousand more swings. Keep some tension in rope at all times via right arm.

Best of luck.

AC

Thanks--I'll try anything.
    Posted:
    moehogan wrote:

Without seeing a swing vid, I would guess that trying to hold the trail wrist angle might be causing you to steer the clubhead resulting in a loss of swing speed. If your ball flight is now higher, you could also be adding loft by scoop flipping to try to make up for the loss of speed by adding some trail hand slap.

Take a 6 or 7 iron and make continuous back and forth 9 to 3 swings as fast as you can with a full roll release on the through swing. Then try to hit a few balls will that feel. You probably need to find your way back to your original aggressiveness.

I suppose Flipping could be the issue. It's so weird that I don't feel anything different in my swing.
    Posted:
  • The PearlThe Pearl  1982Members Posts: 1,982
    There has to be more to this story. I have seen plenty in this game over the 40 yrs of playing. Wild stuff from all kinds of golfer's, but never somebody, in an instance, lose that type of distance when they are making "center contact" and the "swing doesn't feel different".
    Posted:
  • oikos1oikos1  2392Members Posts: 2,392
    Don't over think this one. Time for a slumpbuster!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • forgedforeverforgedforever  1752Members Posts: 1,752
    In my universe I have learned than an improper weight shift can cause problems resulting in loss of distance.

But not to the extent of losing 35 to 50 yards with various clubs. That's just extraordinary...
    Posted:
  • argee1977argee1977  297Members Posts: 297
    Whenever i get any loss of distance for a few rounds i start practicing 'fast hands and arms' again, as i tend to drag the handle a bit, guess it's similar to holding the angles, and causes me to lose a bit of speed, loads of videos of this online, the only way i could even think of losing a third of my distances would be due to not releasing, which speeding up my arms/hands fixes more often than not.
    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 28257Members Posts: 28,257
    It will do your soul more good to preform a ritual where you break each club and throw them into a pond than to sell them. Just food for thought.

I wonder. Are you leaking shots right ? If so I understand your pain. I call it “ the wipes”. And you can easily lose 1/3 distance with them without hitting shots fat or off center. Every now and then I wake up without the ability to release the club. I don’t know why. But it leaves o its own as fast as it comes. Usually the next day.
    Posted:
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  4-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  50  54 60 s400
    Cameron ICC prototype CT Fastback Armlock.  42 inch with jumbo max 17 inch  grip.   

• benhays98benhays98  48Members Posts: 48
    Are these distances measured on a course or at the driving range? If its on the driving range, I'd likely assume that its the range balls (the range using older or different brand of ball) causing the presumed loss of distance.
    Posted:
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!!  5524Members Posts: 5,524
    mrfld wrote:

Best of luck.

AC

Thanks--I'll try anything.

Then post a clear video in good lighting so someone can actually help you instead of guessing.

BT
    Posted:
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge

Advertisement
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks  152Members Posts: 152
    You really need to swing freely through the ball, without conscious manipulation. Steering can cause loss of distance as much as anything. If you're centering your hits, and losing 30-50 yards, it's because you're steering. Trying to hold the wrist angle is **** with your swing, leave it alone.

You need to swing freely through the ball without trying to control it. You need to feel a bit out of control, and swing freely. It sounds like to me you're playing safe, and trying to keep the ball in play. The ball will stay in play if your forget the golf swing, and hit the ball freely, without manipulation.

I personally lose around 30-50 yards hitting high on the driver face, but that's mostly caused by my "steering" trying to fade the ball, therefore hitting down on the ball severely, and I probably lose around 7-10 mph just by conscious manipulation. You can't expect to manipulate the club into forced positions and expect it to work.

Stop steering, learn to swing freely.
    Posted:
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • mstrammstram  188Members Posts: 188

. Trying to hold the wrist angle is **** with your swing, leave it alone.

You need to swing freely through the ball without trying to control it. You need to feel a bit out of control, and swing freely. It

+ 1,000,000,000

OP the only thing you should be "holding" is your spine angle / posture / balance through the ball.

Make a smooth unhurried transition, then throw / fire / release the clubhead through the ball.

If you start hitting snap hooks, you'll actually be making progress (more so than if the ball is "leaking / blocked right" (for a RH golfer).
    Posted:

Hey all, thanks for all the feedback. So fast forward a year and I have gained nothing. I have been taking lessons this summer from a former tour player. The last 3 months I've busted my butt at the range. Club path, face angle, shoulder rotation...my body hurts from all the practice. I haven't played a round since my OP last year. I have committed to practice until I'm fixed.

Here are my club carry averages.
    Driver 137
    7i 86
    60* 55

Im not sure how much more I can mentally take. I'm about ready to quit.

Posted:
  • otto6457otto6457  603Members Posts: 603

No joke here. You might want to see a doctor. This sort of loss of physical capacity is worrying.

Posted:
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE Ohio 2878Members Posts: 2,878

Get a video up before it's too late.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Advertisement
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZ 910Members Posts: 910

Any idea what your club head speed was before and after the total collapse? Driver CHS of 75MPH would give you 140yd carry. Your previous carry of 230 would need 100MPH CHS. I would be surprised if you lost that much CHS over night but very curious. I have not seen that mentioned in this thread.

Any way to check your CHS with and without a ball?

Driver ball flight extremely high, low, massive curvature? What is your current Pro telling you?

Posted:
    Post edited by sprcoop on

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• jimb6golfjimb6golf  1646Members Posts: 1,646

@MonteScheinblum said:
    “Working hard to hold my wrist angle.”

That is likely where the distance loss is...it’s at least contributing.

I'd agree with Monte as I've done much the same thing and am fighting to get distance back again. I fell into the 'drive your trail elbow' and 'keep your wrist cocked' hole and all it does is keep the face open at address causing you to lose distance (unless you're nimble as a kid). I've been working with a pro to help me get better contact and a square face at impact. Not easy to do either and very frustrating. Good luck and go see a pro who can help.

Posted:
  • TMoakley1547TMoakley1547  156Members Posts: 156

Post a video. Youre not going to get any actual help until somebody can see your golf swing.

As a side note, when I only hit balls at the range and dont play any real golf, my game seems to go to **** too. Just go out and play the game, quit worrying. I find that for me, it really frees my swing.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson  474Members Posts: 474

Feel your pain op, for me making sure I am swinging with a very specific target in mind and doing relaxed feet together drill swings usually help me reset.

Starting to think you are trolling us considering how little information you are sharing, post a vid? What does your pro say?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file