Missed an 8 footer on 18 for birdie and a 79 (I’ve never broken 80)... what are your heartbreaks?

Comments

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 22, 2018 #32
    This just happened to me last weekend.

Bombed drive, perfect layup, stuck my wedge to 6ft below the hole for birdie and a chance at even par for the back. Since I was closest I got not one, but 2 reads of the putt, one from below the hole one from above. Still missed it low side! I lipped out a birdie chip on 11 too FUUUUUUUU
  • jsanatxjsanatx God Bless Texas Members Posts: 1,974 ✭✭
    Don;t be so hard on yourself for missing that putt, you didn't break 80 because of it. If you look back at your card, you can see where you probably left 3 or 4 shots out there that if you had avoided a bogey or double, you could have easily broken 80. Believe me I know, a couple of weeks ago i shot an 82 and after looking at my card, I saw that if I had pared a hole here or there, I would have been in the mid 70s. Frustrating, I know, but hang in there, it'll come.
    917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
    Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
    Titleist 718 AP2s
    Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
    Vokey SM5 46*
    Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
    Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
    Vokey TVD 60*
    SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g
  • TServosTServos Members Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭
    Having never shot even par for a round I three putted from 20 ft on 16 to go +1. Then bogeyed #17 (a hard hole) to go +2. #18 is a par 5 which I have never reached in two, but I hit a good drive and took out a 3 wood and actually hit the green with it. Then I missed a 20 putt by a foot and birdied for a +1 score.
    Ping
  • MurvMurv Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I have shot my age once. 73 two years ago. But every year since I turned 70 I have missed it several times in every conceivable way.Never a real choke but always a reasonable chance.
  • jppatton2jppatton2 Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Not quite heartbreak, but earlier in the year I shot 72 missing a 10’ putt for birdie on 18. With a 3 year old and 1 year old I don’t play nearly as much as I used to or as I would like and it has been years since I have broken par. Which, as a 4 HC seems a bit odd. I knew what the putt was for but I don’t believe in the don’t keep up with your score. I mean you’re writing it down after every hole, how could you not know where you stand when you pull driver on the par 5 18th 2 under on the back 9 and E on the day lol! However, 16 is a 230 yard par 3 and I two putted for par from about 50’ so I wasn’t complaining on the day.
  • hahanicehahanice Members Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭
    Late to this party but congrats on your PB.

I don't believe that knowing your score hurts you. I know my score at all times. Our club champ knows the score of everyone in his group at all times. Ask JR Smith if he wishes he knew the score in game 1... not sure there's a right or wrong here.

What you should take from that is that you have shot 81 a bunch of times. If your consistently around there you will get into the 70s by skill or just luck.

An 8 footer for bird is not a high percentage putt. Maybe 30 percent as a double digit. You gave it a chance... job done. You didn't short change yourself. (I really hate when people get mad at missed 6-10 footers... PGA tour avg is like 45 percent).

Keep playing, your consistent enough. It will happen, then happen again
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I choked away my cities championship many years ago in a playoff. I hit my approach long which was death he hit his approach short which was an easy up and down. The lesson I learned that day was to take one club to account for adrenaline because I had hit into that green a thousand times.

One funny heartbreak I had was when I told my buddy at my home course as I’m standing on 18 tee. “Dude if I birdie this hole I shoot my career low!”

-I proceeded to hit two OB off the tee and make a 12 hahaha. Golf gods punished me hard.
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    many moons ago, when I knew how to play this game, I was set to break 70 for the first time ever. I stood on 18 tee needing a par to shoot 69. I was a 3 handicap at the time. I piped my drive down the middle, and left myself a 60ish yard flip wedge to the huge two tiered green. Licking my chops, I proceeded to lay sod over the ball that ended up flying all of about 10 yards, right into the pond just short of the green. I managed to get #4 onto the front of the green, but two putted for a crowd pleaser of a double. Still my best score, but I was steaming!

10 years later, I still have never broken 70, and now struggle to break 80.
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 20, 2018 #40
    Just last weekend I was having a personal best round. I went into 18 at 3 over, hit a bomb of a drive on the final hole which is a par 5. I had 187 in and hooked my 6 iron, but not badly enough to be in trouble. I was able 10 yards left of the green. Hit a solid chip shot to about 10 feet. Walking up to it, in my mind all I was thinking was im either going to be 2 or 3 over at the worst, which would be my personal record. My playing partner said something smart to me and I casually said back "no way I three putt that." Well, what do you know, I freaking three putted it. I blasted my first putt well beyond the hole, which was strange because my putting was lights out all day I think it was nerves and adrenaline. Second putt came up just short and tapped in for bogey. Finished 4 over which ties my low score on a par 72. That was heart breaking.
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just the opposite, the first time I broke 80, I shot 43 on the front and was one under on the 18th tee for the back 9. And I knew it. 18th hole on this course can easily lead to a big number with a wayward drive. I parred 18. Still, my proudest moment as a golfer.

Biggest heartbreak hole was on #2 of the same course. It was the 2nd sudden death playoff hole in a big match. I hooked an 8 iron over the green and into the water with my opponent sitting at 20 feet away on the green.

Golf is full of heartbreak.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubled 18 last night for an 81...........

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I shot an 84 the other day...with a 10 on a Par 4. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

I thought about going back to that hole after finishing the round and giving myself a “belated mulligan” but it was 95F and I decided I’d rather go home and have a shower.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • landolakeslandolakes Members Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have shot even par a handful of times every yr for a few yrs now... was -1 going into 18 last yr... had a bad lie under a tree after my tee shot .. figured I’d need to chip out, get close, and one put... well I whiffed... then chipped out, stuck my next and one putted for a bogey
  • CheckJVCheckJV Male Model Members Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Last two rounds I have shot 78 going double-single and single-double to finish on the last two holes. A simple par-par finish either day would give me that 75 I’ve been chasing.
  • MooJerseyMooJersey MarylandMembers Posts: 500 ✭✭✭✭
    My biggest heartbreaker was a back 9 blow up. I shot 43 on the front, on track to breaking 90 for the first time. Shot 52 on the back for a 95.
    Cobra F8 Driver
    Cobra F8 3W
    Titleist 718 AP2 3-PW
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 50.08F
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 54.08M
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 60.04L
    Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

• PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a ball plug in the rough and I didnt find it till later on when finishing the front (1 and 9 share a bit of rough) so I took a penalty for a lost ball.

Had I found it and not had to take the penalty I would have broken par for the first time (assuming I would have played the same)
    PXG 0811x 9° - HC EvenFlow Black 75x 
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62°- S300
    Mizuno TP Mills TP7 
    RZN Platinum
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Bogeyed 18 and shot a 73 Labor Day weekend. 3putt. Nerves I guess. Im weak. 73 is still a personal best for me. Even par would have been nice. Probably my best ball striking round of 2018. Havent sniffed that kind of score since.
    M5 - UST V2 6f5
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i shot a 67 (par 72) once by going -5 on the back 9. i had a 10'er for birdie at 18 to shoot 30 with a bogey on the back -- would've been my best 9 hole score ever. i missed.

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• TylanthusTylanthus Members Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭
    At St. Andrews Old Course a couple years ago - First and only round at the home of golf.

3 putted #18 from ~25 feet to shoot 73.

My brother loves this story image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • NM44NM44 Members Posts: 116
    Same boat on my round last Monday. Make the turn at one over and looking at a back 9 that has two reachable par 5's, a drivable 4, and a wedge in hand par 3 and not a ton of trouble besides the 17th which is a 490 yard par 4. End up making a bunch of bogeys and could only muster a par on the par 5 18th to shoot a 80(this was my third round of 80 but have never broken it)
    17' TM M2 10.5 WITH KK 70X/ 17' M2 9.5 w/ Tour AD DI 6X
    TM M1 15* with Hzrdus BLK 6.5
    TM M2 Tour "Truck" 5 wood w/ Atmos Tour Spec Blue 80X
    Titleist H2 23 w/ Tour AD DI 85X
    Taylormade P750 5-P with Modus 120X
    Vokey SM5 52 w/TI S400
    TM MG 56 w/ TI S400
    TM Hi Toe 60 w/ TI S400
    TM Ardmore 3 Copper
    TP5X/AVX
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed a 6 footer to send my team to nationals my senior year of college.

Missed an 8 footer to go the US Open

Missed a 5 footer to force a playoff in sectionals to go the US Open

Missed a 10 footer to advance to finals

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about all the putts or shots that you missed, whether it is to shot your new personal best, advance in qualifying, or win a tournament. I learned to look at all the other great shots I hit to get into that position to have those opportunities.
  • hell_is_chromehell_is_chrome Members Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was 20 years ago in college but I was standing on the 18th tee -1 on a par 70. Drive in the middle of the fairway, airmail the green, chunk pitch to 15 feet still above the hole, three putt for double. I've still never broken 70 or par for 18.
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Played the same course, yesterday but didn’t tally my score this time... Knocked in an 8 foot putt for par on 18, for an 89... This game will kill you, if you let it. Yesterday was a completely different round than the 80. My chipping was awful and my driving was very inconsistent. Alas, an 89.
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • JPLosman7JPLosman7 Members Posts: 27
    I personally wouldn't classify this as "heartbreaking". Heartbreaking to me is needing a bogey or better on 18 to break 80. We're about the same skill level - I struggled for a decade to break 80 at my home course and had my share of bogeys/double bogeys on 18 to shoot 80/81. Happened at least 10 times. Given our skill level we can realistically expect to par about 7-9 holes on average every round and birdie 1 to 2 holes per 18. So needing to birdie 18 to break 80 is not a realistic scenario. You can expect to do that at best 10% of the time. Even needing to score par is about 50% chance. You were very close and the birdie miss is very disappointing, but you birdie'ing 18 to break 80 would've been exceptional.

Now needing just a bogey, which we should be able to score at least on any given hole is close to 90%, and then scoring a double bogey is heartbreaking. You played well, gave yourself a cushion on 18 and made at least one unacceptable error is very deflating and frustrating.

Enjoy the career round. Focus on the positives. You have the game, just need to reduce/eliminate the double bogeys.
  • JPLosman7JPLosman7 Members Posts: 27
    I've gone back and forth on to tally or not to tally score during the round.

I think it's kind of irrelevant because when you're playing decent making pars and bogeys it's almost impossible to not know your score plus/minus 1 stroke. So whether you add it up or not, you know going into that last couple holes you need to play well to finish off the round. So, the pressure is there regardless.

I went from never adding up until the end to now I like to add my front and then check the score on 16. The pressure to hit good shots is there whether you tally or not, knowing exactly where you stand I've found is actually relaxing because it eliminates the distraction of wondering where you stand constantly in the back of your head.
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The round that stands out to me the most was a round from a few summers back with some buddies. We were playing a mini tournament between 5 of us, and I was +2 going into 16. I went double-bogey-quintuple bogey to finish out with an 81. I slam dunked a wedge for eagle on 11 to put me at +1 for the day. Bogeyed 13, and went par-par on 14 and 15. 16 is a tough hole, so a bogey or par feels like a gift.

The bogey on 17 was from a bad drive behind a tree, so my fault there, but 18 was just a blow up. It's a tough driving hole with water short, and water long, so I decided to just play smart and hit 3 wood off the tee, and just block it right into the water and had to hit again from the tee because of how bad I missed right.

Got the 3rd in the fairway, and proceeded to hit it so fat, that I hooked it 50 yards left into the water. Next shot was fat, I think, and then got it on the green with a wedge and 2-putted for the 9. Never been so upset about an 81, but I was still leading my buddies by 5 or 6 shots after that round.

Looking back, I could have hit driver instead, and if I'm long in the water, I'm better off hitting my 3rd after the penalty and the distance instead of my 3rd from the tee, but I can't do anything about it now.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • rkristopherandersonrkristopheranderson Members Posts: 436 ✭✭✭✭

dxdgenert wrote:

Not sure if this is the right sub forum but today, I had a putt at 79. This is a huge number for me, as I’ve never broken 80.

The putt was a straight 8 footer, uphill. I just missed the edge and went 2 feet past. Easily knocked in my frustrated, one handed, swipe for a par and a personal best 80. I’ve shot 81 several times but this is the first time I’ve had a putt at 79 (I’m also frustrated that I had three double bogeys on the card). I even made a video, in case I made it (that was a dumb, of course). Since my daughter was born 3 years ago, finding the time to golf has been tough. Add in a another daughter during that time and my game has been dreadful, at times. This year, my wife has encouraged (allowed) me to play every other week and the results are beginning to pan out.

Anyhow, part of this is a rant and part is back slapping boast. What are your heartbreakers on the course?

Hang in there. Overall, well played. Cut the double bogies and you'll easily be in the 70s maybe sniffing mid 70s. You got one milestone now get the other!

My personal best is 70, many times and several with a chance to par or birdie the last hole for a 69. Every single time I either choke or not complete the task. Yes, it's mental. I know once that's broken more sub 70s would occur. Now I'm not good enough to break 70 but I'm working on it. Maybe one day.

Been there.

I've shot 70/71 a half dozen times or so.

Once shot 70 on a day when I was playing a casual round by myself on aerated greens and wasn't really keeping score. I had a looooong (45-50 feet-ish) from off the fringe birdie putt on 18 and was just trying to roll it close enough for a safe par--instead I lipped out the birdie that would have given me 69.
    Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
    Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
    Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
    Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
    Vokey SM4 60-04
    Scotty Cameron California Monterrey
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of my milestone breaking rounds have come after slowish starts, not hot ones.

I've broken 80 once. Birdied 14 to get to 1 over for the day. Started "counting strokes" at that point and totally choked. Bogey on 15 but a hard hole. Bogey on 16...an easy hole. Lucky bogey on 17 after I told myself that if I hit that fairway I'm good to go (toughest hole left). I double-crossed and hit it so far left that it was back in play (with tons of OB left). So now 4 over through 17, but no way I quadruple 18...right? Especially after I pipe my drive right down the middle. I had a 9 iron left into the green, but of course put the next shot into the pond fronting the green. Cleared it on the next shot but barely. Chipped up and two-putted ("Thank God") for a 79.

Had a chance to do it again a few weeks ago. 6 over through 17. I tripled #1 and doubled #3, but got hot after that...needed to bogey 18 (which is actually an easy hole). I screwed it up in every way I could but still almost holed a bunker shot for 79, but tapped it in for an 80...ugggh!!!

I can't tell you how many times I have started hot and been Even, or 1 or 2 over, or even 1-under, through at least 9 or more holes to then later totally choke whatever score I was shooting for. I've tried so hard to not know where I am or ignore it, and I can usually do it for a few holes. What usually gets me is a birdie which gives me a cushion...and then it is like I let up assuming I have it in the bag.

I can't help knowing my score, though. My mind tracks numbers with ease. When I played baseball in high school, I knew my batting average after every at-bat. I would know it as I ran to first base. I just can't help it, thus I also can't help knowing where I stand relative to par no matter whether I write a score down or not. I just know. So my technique has been to try to not let it affect my approach, and to avoid talking about it. Hasn't worked so far...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • hack2489hack2489 Members Posts: 220 ✭✭✭
    Why does knowing the score do this to us?

Do we get stiff and lose our swing? Do we subconsciously bring ourselves down?

IDK, but my heartbreak so far goes like this:

Standing on the 18th tee, waiting for a group in front, I made the error of mentally adding up my score. Had a tough start to the round and had kept score out of my head, but knew from about the 5th on I was playing well.

Now, keep in mind I play off 18. I had been having lessons and doing a lot of work, so was happy to see my swing getting me into birdie chances and walking off with at worse a par on all holes since the 5th...

So, I figured I was about 8 over to the 5th, and from there was 2 under, so standing on the 18th at 6 over... Par 72 course.

This was my first time shooting sub par nine holes, and a likely first ever sub 80.

I proceeded to pull my drive left OOB on 18, and finished with a double bogey.

Yep. Even par 9.

But, as it turns out I was actually 9 over at that point and finished 11 over. Still a PB and celebrated it.

But lesson learner. I do not add upscores until finished. If my mind starts to think score, I try to destract myself. And, if my playing partners tell me the score, I tell them it doesn't matter to me and put something else into my head.

I'm now more and more convinced the mental approach of thinking about only the shot I am about to take is so very very important.

I'm also convinced that my subconscious thinks I'm a bogey golfer, because despite putting together several good holes, I manage to walk off with a bogey round.

Any ideas you how to fix this bogey mentality?

• YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Years ago, my wife was newer golfer and had never broken 80. We got to the 18th hole and she had about a 20 footer for a 77. It was above the hole and there was a falloff just past the hole. She was cautious and left the putt for 77 about 4 feet short. Her putt for 78 caught an edge with too much speed and caught the downslope past the pin which left her 15 feet. Her putt for a 79 was just short and she made the tap in 4th putt for an 80. She did eventually break 80 on a regular basis, but it was another year before she broke through.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file