Missed an 8 footer on 18 for birdie and a 79 (I’ve never broken 80)... what are your heartbreaks?

124»

Comments

• AlecEmersonGolfAlecEmersonGolf Members Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJGA qualifier, 3rd hole i have a 3 footer straight uphill, and there is the worlds largest spike mark directly between my ball and the hole. I hit my putt and its going dead center, hits the spike mark, bounces over the hole and sits on the back lip. Never seen anything like that before. That stroke was the difference between me being in a playoff or missing by 1.
    Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
    3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
    Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
    irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
    wedges - 52/56/60 edel
    putter - edel e-3 torque balanced
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

AJGA qualifier, 3rd hole i have a 3 footer straight uphill, and there is the worlds largest spike mark directly between my ball and the hole. I hit my putt and its going dead center, hits the spike mark, bounces over the hole and sits on the back lip. Never seen anything like that before. That stroke was the difference between me being in a playoff or missing by 1.

It was Mickelson!
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution  V2 High Launch - S
    W/S C300 15* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S C300 20*/23* Fuji Speeder Pro - S
    W/S Fi5 5-P  DGS300
    W/S PMP 52/56/60  KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Pro Platinum
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    My Heartbreak Story:

The hotter than crap cart girl promised to come back and give me her number on #18....only to find a bearded guy drove by reminding us to make sure we have all of our clubs
  • ChrismydawgChrismydawg JLo Members Posts: 395 ✭✭
    1.As a Junior in HS I four putted on the 9th hole of a match. Due to that 4 putt we had a 3 way tie for the league title. If I just 3 putt (not a lot to ask) we would have won the league outright for the 4th year in a row.

2.As a senior in HS I won the 4th spot on my team going into Regionals. I was pumped because I beat out a good player on our team. During regionals I started off -1 through 4 holes. I finished with a 87. If I would have shot 84 or better we wouldve went to States. That sucked, because it felt like everyone was counting on me.

I think my pursuit of being a better golfer as an adult is attributed to these 2 incidents. I now play to a 4 and I intend to get that to 1 or 2 this year. Wish me luck.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Made mistake of knowing my score going to 18 tee. Need double(6)for 1st 79 ever. Tee shot pushed into woods but only 135 from downhill bowl shaped green. Instead of punching out I jack it dead left across fairway, starting to implode. Three goes over green as I’m now pumped up with adrenaline and fear. Chip on, three putt 7 for 80. Have not shot below 82 since, five years ago
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got to the 18th tee at my club (par 70) with a gross score of 74. I was looking at breaking 80 off the standard tees for the first time ever.

The 18th at my club is a little tricky. It's a long(ish) par 4 and the green is narrow front to back and on a slight platform. As a result I have to lay up
    just before the bunkers so that I can attempt a wedge in. It is also tree lined and a bit narrow initially so you have to be careful with your drive.

It's typically a double bogey for me but on this particular day my ball striking had been phenomenal. I'd hardly put a foot wrong and in fact had pulled off several great shots. I was in the zone! So I rocked up to the tee with my driver in hand, and decided to go for it. Maybe I'd actually be able to attempt a GIR for once but at least I'd finish with another great drive.

So I let fly..and put a lovely push fade on the ball sending it towards the trees on the right image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

That cost me a punch out then I had to do my usual layup and I two putted out for a double bogey.

So I walked off with 80. Still a very nice score - and the joint best ever. But I failed to break 80 because I got too cocky. Hey ho image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High School district championship, top 2 teams +3 low at large individuals qualify for regionals. (It was a very soft league, I was averagibg 45 strokes for 9 holes on an easy course (I got that down to 40 as a senior!))

So I know who the two top teams are, and they take the good golfers with them, so the at-large spots are up for grabs for slobs like me. 36 holes individual stroke play.

Background over

I put myself into contention over 27 holes. On 12 I hit a mammoth drive to cut a corner of a dogleg. We looked for it for 5 minutes... lost ball. Rehit at tee... after my approach as we are walking up, my original ball is sitting in the fairway 50 yards up from where we looked. But it’s no longer the ball in play. I dejectedly kicked it into the creek I had in fact, successfully avoided.

I took a triple on the hole when I 3-jacked the green.

Missed the cut by 2 strokes. Would I have parred it from where I was? Who knows... but it stung.

But at least I qualified the next year, and at least I didnt do what my buddie did: miss the cut by taking quintuple on the last hole when he was 4 strokes ahead of the next guy...
    Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know it at the time put the triple I made on 16 in the last round of our 2017 club championship was the three strokes that kept me from going out in a play off.

Drove left into the water, dropped and hit the approach in a greenside bunker. Blasted out and was so hot I ran the bogey putt three feet by and then missed again.

For some strange reason I kept quite cool and finished with two pars. I was pretty content walking off the last green having played my best club championship to date, 75-73-76, and I still wasn't very bothered when I saw the leaderboard and noticed the leaders didn't have their best that day and that I was only three shots behind in 4th place.

It wasn't until late in the evening it dawned on me what could have been.
    Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
    EvnRoll ER2

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • Ryan3773Ryan3773 Members Posts: 204 ✭✭
    Missed two shots inside a foot during a single round. One was a three iron off a tee that hit the pin, another was a second shot on a par 5 with a 3 iron that stopped on the lip.

Eagle and birdie and I was so mad I didn’t even celebrate them.
  • YuckYuck Fore! Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Many years ago, when Mrs. Yuck was a relatively new golfer, she had a 15 footer on 18 to shoot a 77. She had never broken 80 at that point. She four putted for an 80!
  • Lefty96Lefty96 Members Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    Before I broke 80 for the first time I found myself on the 16th tee sitting at 1 over par. I managed to play those three holes at 9 over par. so yeah.. I'd say knowing my score at that point didn't affect me.
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Not tragic, but aggravating... A couple of years ago, I was having a not-so-good round. But, I could break 90 with a bogie on the par-4 18th.

I hit a drive into the first cut. From 160 yard out I lofted a 6i that lands a foot onto the green and backs off to light rough.

About 30 feet away from cup, I take an 8i for a chip and run. I start my takeaway when another guy walks right in front of me about two feet away! I stop my swing, don't reload properly, and hit a chunky chip about 10 feet onto the green. From there, I run a putt three feet past, and lip out the return putt for a 6.

As everyone leaves the green, I put my ball on the fringe area and chip it again. Of course, it rolls straight into the cup. Did knucklehead cost me a birdie?
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • DavidDJrDavidDJr Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Missed a hole in one by 2”, ball was nearly sitting on the cups ledge. 😑
  • N8dogg2669N8dogg2669 ClubWRX Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    When I was a teenager, before I had ever shot in the 30's for 9 holes, I had a putt probably less than 2 feet that I missed for par and a 39 on my 9th hole. I was by myself, played the last hole flawless and thought no doubt I was finally shooting a 39. And I missed it. I don't think I have ever been so mad in my life. I used to walk to this course as it was less than a mile from my house and I wasn't old enough to drive yet. The walk home was just me restraining from throwing my bag into traffic.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had never broken 40 for 9 holes several years back. Was 1 over through 8 and only playing 9 that day.

9th is a long par 5 but not terribly challenging. I bomb a drive and position perfectly such that a pond on the left side of the fairway is now out of play (or so I thought). I’m a lefty, and this pond is a bit problematic sometimes depending on where my drive ends up, but I walk up to my ball relieved that it is completely out of play. Except, as I stand over my ball, I think “this pond is now out of play unless I just cold toe-slice this ball”...and guess what I do...I toe-slice it right into the pond. I’m so mad now, but play the remaining shots about as I would have expected, end up with a triple and a 40. I hadn’t hit a poor shot all day up until that point. It’s amazing what a random thought standing over the ball can do to your swing...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • rbgndfwrbgndfw Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I missed about a 12 foot for birdie on the 18th for round of 69. 2 under 70 was still the low 18 hole score of my golf life. I've always attributed the score to having worked all night, then going straight to the course without any sleep. I was extremely relaxed the entire round.
  • tangojaytangojay Members Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick6771 wrote:

I'd met her via a dating site, we were getting on really well for 6 months then she dumped me because of a dream she had.

.... oh you mean golf?

I'll play this one,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think I dated her sister, called her outside night club on second date, no answer, 30 minutes later I left. Next day she said how sorry she was, she thought she heard her cell while IN the nightclub, said she was ready to go home with me, but worked out for the best, husband was angry she got home late (never mentioned it on first date!) and she had forgotten her Prozac.
  • thedesert_foxthedesert_fox Members Posts: 2
    I barely missed a putt from about 5 feet for an 80 in my last tournament during my senior year of high school. Tapped in for 81. I needed an 80 to make the Area tournament. It was the perfect father and son moment, but I missed the putt. I wasn't going to get any further than Area, but it would've been nice to make it for my dad.
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Feb 27, 2019 5:06pm #110
    OMG had so many of those...3 ftrs on 18 to break 80, many times makeable putts to break 80

I tell you what tho once I did break 80 a few times I rarely went back....I started saying in 70's consistently....I still go back occasionally

But where 82 or 83 was good rd b4 now it's a horrible rd....mental side changed for me more than my actual game

• dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

FYI: Just shot a 79!
    Out in 40, in with a 39 (even was able to bogey 18 and still have a cushion). I'll probably post more later but I'm pretty excited and satisfied, right now.

PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • raindawg1raindawg1 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@dxdgenert said:
    FYI: Just shot a 79!
    Out in 40, in with a 39 (even was able to bogey 18 and still have a cushion). I'll probably post more later but I'm pretty excited and satisfied, right now.

Congrats OP! We sound similar. I've never broken 80, shot 80 maybe one time but have a bunch of 81's. One time that still sticks with me. I was playing good and I had a run of four straight par's in the middle part of the round which is really good for me. Going for the 5th in a row I hit a good drive right up the middle on a short par 4 that left me with a full PW into the green, pin was in the middle of a small green. Thought to myself, just put a nice tempo swing on the ball. When the ball was in air I literally thought to myself "I just par'd my 5th hole in a row" because I hit it good and the ball was right on line with the pin. It landed on the front section of the green and literally bounced about 10 feet in the air and proceeded to roll over the back of the green down a slope and into a bush. I double bogie'd the hole. It turns out there was one little section of the green that was literally burned out brown and bare and hard as concrete and I'd managed to find that one little section. After the round I added up my score for yet another 81.

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

2 birdies, 5 pars and card a 90. Maddening.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@chippa13 said:
    2 birdies, 5 pars and card a 90. Maddening.

My first full year of golfing I once had 4 birdies and still carded a 90. Started off with a smooth 10.

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been playing pretty poorly lately. I’ve broken 80 three times, but have been lucky to break 90 over most of May through July. I just couldn’t seem to find my swing.

However, about 3 weeks ago I went back and watched a lesson I had last year that ultimately led me to finding a little something again. Played two weeks ago but only had time for 9. Played pretty well, and was pounding the ball, but didn’t really keep score.

I played again earlier this week. Didn’t really have any expectations as I played a course out of town that I haven’t played in a while, and always struggled on. It’s long with wind in your face pretty much the whole way it seems.

Anyway, I start with a birdie. Then a double, a triple, and then another birdie. I was hitting the ball really well and just killing it. I ended up with 4 birdies on the day, which I’ve never done. I also had two triples and two doubles. One of the triples was a killer. I had a 9 iron in my hands from the middle of the fairway. Hit a fair approach that missed just right. The problem was that I was completely blocked from any hope of getting close to the flag by a tree. I knew I had a good score going, and so of course I tried a hero shot...hit the tree, ended up with a triple.

This was on the 12th I think, and so I needed to go 1 under the rest of the way to break 80. I parred every hole 13 through 17. Got to 18, par 5 that isn’t really reachable. I murdered my drive but on a line a little too far right to consider going for the green. Hit a perfect layup to a perfect yardage. Tried to get cute with a wedge to knock it tight to the hole and flared it. But it left a relatively easy chip that was makeable.

But I didn’t make it, of course. Settled for an 81 after I swiped at the 3 foot putt at the end. Didn’t really care about the putt, because I wanted the 79. Still a solid round.

The two triples were killers. The other was on a reachable par 5 , but I put two balls in the water. They were stupid shots too because at the time I wasn’t aware how long I was, so I was trying to kill the shots to attempt to reach in two. Little did I know that two easy swings would have gotten me there. I just need to figure out, now, how to avoid the big numbers.

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • mwilkins25mwilkins25 NYCMembers Posts: 73 ✭✭

@dxdgenert said:
    Not sure if this is the right sub forum but today, I had a putt at 79. This is a huge number for me, as I’ve never broken 80.

Totally feel your pain. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and two of them I had ~5’ putts to make 79. On the bright side, I tied my lowest score ever 3 times haha.

• spk7spk7 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

In a duo match play event my partner and I both doubled the 18th which is an extremely easy par 5 to lose the match, we’re also both low single digit handicaps

• dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

There is a 9th hole par 4 at my local course,
    260 uphill. I usually am able to drive the green and have an eagle putt, but I never make the putt!

Until yesterday! 12 footer for eagle.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file