2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Moving to Boston Area

DJGainer

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am moving to the Boston area, probably somewhere in the metro west. Currently, I have a $30/month membership which gets me range balls and reduced greens fees at a few area courses. Do any courses have any kind of deals like this in the region?

In a word pretty much no what area are you moving to and maybe some of the guys and gals can tell you must plays and places to avoid

I am moving to the Boston area, probably somewhere in the metro west. Currently, I have a $30/month membership which gets me range balls and reduced greens fees at a few area courses. Do any courses have any kind of deals like this in the region?

In a word pretty much no what area are you moving to and maybe some of the guys and gals can tell you must plays and places to avoid

Sorry I missed Metro West part

Sorry I missed Metro West part

No worries. I thought the answer was no based on my limited research. I just wanted to know if I was missing anything. Does anyone know if there are any good membership deals at public or semi private clubs? We may go private in the long run, but right now I don’t want to commit to an initiation fee, dues, and spending requirements.

It all depends on what part of metro west. Outside the 128 loop you can find some deals on membership but inside it, there are not many to be found. I play all public currently and have not found anything reasonable in the area worth joining.

Outside 95/128. Probably Natick area.

Natick is a bit of a golf desert; and everything is going to be way more expensive than what you're paying now.

There is a recently renovated driving range (Kohr Golf) in Natick...but it's $225 a month.

The "semi-private" and public courses in the area mostly don't do season passes or memberships - the tee sheets are basically full everywhere at regular rates, so they just don't offer a membership discount. Sandy Burr in Wayland does, but it's $3,000...which is borderline private money for <30 memberships. If you fit in the <30 category, I'd look into the private clubs. There are a lot that have no initiation fees and relatively low dues for younger guys. Somewhere like The International in Bolton is a steal at $3,500 and no initiation if you're young enough to qualify.

The "semi-private" and public courses in the area mostly don't do season passes or memberships - the tee sheets are basically full everywhere at regular rates, so they just don't offer a membership discount. Sandy Burr in Wayland does, but it's $3,000...which is borderline private money for <30 memberships. If you fit in the <30 category, I'd look into the private clubs. There are a lot that have no initiation fees and relatively low dues for younger guys. Somewhere like The International in Bolton is a steal at $3,500 and no initiation if you're young enough to qualify.

I don't agree with this, just about all the semi-private courses I play have some kind of "membership" you can buy that covers greens fees and allows tee time access ahead of the general public. Unless you meant they don't "discount" them? I guess that depends on how much you play whether it's a discount relative to paying the regular rates.

I've been getting the Cyprian Keyes "select" membership recently, It's around $1K and when I looked around this past spring was the most economical deal around, but many people don't like the course, so that factors in. They also sell the Keyes Card which is just a package of discounted tee times. Then they have a full membership that is $2850.

Most of the other courses have similar offerings, the "discounted" offerings usually restrict play to just weekdays and/or weekend afternoons. What I found was most of these seem to be around $1500-3000+ for the courses within a reasonable drive for me (Marlboro).

I do recall hearing Framingham CC was hurting for members which could be an option for the OP, though this was second-hand info and might be outdated. And also agree the International could be a good deal, especially with 2 very nice courses.

It all depends on what part of metro west. Outside the 128 loop you can find some deals on membership but inside it, there are not many to be found. I play all public currently and have not found anything reasonable in the area worth joining.

Natick is a bit of a golf desert; and everything is going to be way more expensive than what you're paying now.

There is a recently renovated driving range (Kohr Golf) in Natick...but it's $225 a month.

Kohr golf is 225 a month does it even have a course or is it just a practice facility? Seems quite high

Kohr golf is 225 a month does it even have a course or is it just a practice facility? Seems quite high

Just a driving range...

I don't agree with this, just about all the semi-private courses I play have some kind of "membership" you can buy that covers greens fees and allows tee time access ahead of the general public. Unless you meant they don't "discount" them? I guess that depends on how much you play whether it's a discount relative to paying the regular rates.

I've been getting the Cyprian Keyes "select" membership recently, It's around $1K and when I looked around this past spring was the most economical deal around, but many people don't like the course, so that factors in. They also sell the Keyes Card which is just a package of discounted tee times. Then they have a full membership that is $2850.

Most of the other courses have similar offerings, the "discounted" offerings usually restrict play to just weekdays and/or weekend afternoons. What I found was most of these seem to be around $1500-3000+ for the courses within a reasonable drive for me (Marlboro).

I do recall hearing Framingham CC was hurting for members which could be an option for the OP, though this was second-hand info and might be outdated. And also agree the International could be a good deal, especially with 2 very nice courses.

Can I ask you what people don’t like about Cyprian Keyes?

Can I ask you what people don’t like about Cyprian Keyes?

I really like the course...but I understand why it isn’t everybody’s cup of tea.

The holes are, for lack of a better word, tricky. It’s not that it’s super tight, it’s more that there are a lot of uncomfortable shots. Fairways that have no unsloped part (so even a good drive gets you some kind of weird lie); blind-ish shots; layups on Par 5’s...you’ve really got to think and bump your way around the course, which is not much fun for guys who like to go driver/wedge.

I think it’s fun though.

Can I ask you what people don't like about Cyprian Keyes?

It's target golf with a lot of "environmentally sensitive" hazards, i.e. lateral hazards with wetlands where you can't go in even if you see your ball 5' away. Some parts are just unfair, where the edge of the fairway slopes away and into one of those hazards. It's also somewhat visually intimidating so you need to play it a few times to learn where you can miss. I think a lot of people just play it once, lose a bunch of balls and decide not to come back. If you're someone who sprays the ball around off the tee, you're not going to have a good time there.

I've played it a few hundred times so obviously I don't feel that way but there are certainly times when it gets frustrating if you're a little off. It's not a very long course so if you can keep the ball in play you can score there.

They also have a par 3 course that's a lot of fun. They keep the conditions just as good as the main course and have a couple holes where you need to hit a mid iron, so it's not just a wedge/putter all the time.

It's target golf with a lot of "environmentally sensitive" hazards, i.e. lateral hazards with wetlands where you can't go in even if you see your ball 5' away. Some parts are just unfair, where the edge of the fairway slopes away and into one of those hazards. It's also somewhat visually intimidating so you need to play it a few times to learn where you can miss. I think a lot of people just play it once, lose a bunch of balls and decide not to come back. If you're someone who sprays the ball around off the tee, you're not going to have a good time there.

I've played it a few hundred times so obviously I don't feel that way but there are certainly times when it gets frustrating if you're a little off. It's not a very long course so if you can keep the ball in play you can score there.

They also have a par 3 course that's a lot of fun. They keep the conditions just as good as the main course and have a couple holes where you need to hit a mid iron, so it's not just a wedge/putter all the time.

Agree with all of this. The ESAs are a pain; and it's really the only local course I can think of that has so many of them.

There are a couple of holes (10 comes to mind) where the margin for error is tiny - IIRC there's a pretty significant carry off the tee (maybe 170 - 180 yards) into a fairway that's ~30 yards wide with trees on both sides. It's a tough shot, and not uncommon for this course. Easy place to lose balls if you're careless off the tee.

At the same time, it's not like Butternut Farm, where everything is tight and you're just chronically hitting 5 iron off the tee. I wouldn't say Cyprian Keyes is a "strategic" course, but you have to gameplan and execute around it.

Agree with all of this. The ESAs are a pain; and it's really the only local course I can think of that has so many of them.

There are a couple of holes (10 comes to mind) where the margin for error is tiny - IIRC there's a pretty significant carry off the tee (maybe 170 - 180 yards) into a fairway that's ~30 yards wide with trees on both sides. It's a tough shot, and not uncommon for this course. Easy place to lose balls if you're careless off the tee.

At the same time, it's not like Butternut Farm, where everything is tight and you're just chronically hitting 5 iron off the tee. I wouldn't say Cyprian Keyes is a "strategic" course, but you have to gameplan and execute around it.

The 10th tee shot is tough, but the fairway's actually pretty wide once you get to maybe 220-230 off the tee, Funny story, one time we showed up to play and there was a fog delay. Finally sent us out even though it was still foggy and we were starting on #10. 2 guys they put with me and my friend had never played the course before and from the blue tees you couldn't see anything past about 80 yards. So that was a really interesting way to start the round, trying to give those 2 something to aim at. Not sure if it was easier or harder just looking at that bank of fog. :)

Interesting you mentioned Butternut, that was my home course prior to Cyprian. Loved it at first because the owners were adamant about not having carts, it was walking only. But after a couple of years, they had to relent and allow riding carts since they couldn't survive without them (no outings, etc). That of course meant also putting in cart paths and that really had a huge impact since there wasn't much room for them on many holes. Once they were there, you could miss a fairway by 10-15 yards and instead of just being in the trees, it was off the cart path and gone. That was one reason we left, the other was the owners tried to screw us out of a tee time deposit, that was the last straw.

• 4 weeks later...

That's my backyard and your options just got MUCH smaller. In Marblehead you have Tedesco CC, I worked there for 6 mths and it's a fantastic classic old style N.E. course, but it's a $$$$ course to join with a long wait list. There is Kernwood in Lynnfield but to be honest, if you aren't Jewish, good luck. There was this "unwritten understanding" in the area, if you were christian you went to Tedesco or Salem CC. Now this was 15-20 years ago so I HOPE that is not the case anymore but I am just saying don't be shocked if that still stands.

Salem CC and Miopia Hunt are the 2 holy grail courses in the area, Salem from what I understand is easier to join now than it was in the past. Miopia, cross that off your list. That is old school money and super hard to get into. Ferncroft Danvers is super close to my condo and that is another solid option if you are looking to get your foot in the door for a private club.

There are a few private 9 holers in the area as well.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

That's my backyard and your options just got MUCH smaller. In Marblehead you have Tedesco CC, I worked there for 6 mths and it's a fantastic classic old style N.E. course, but it's a $$$$ course to join with a long wait list. There is Kernwood in Lynnfield but to be honest, if you aren't Jewish, good luck. There was this "unwritten understanding" in the area, if you were christian you went to Tedesco or Salem CC. Now this was 15-20 years ago so I HOPE that is not the case anymore but I am just saying don't be shocked if that still stands.

Salem CC and Miopia Hunt are the 2 holy grail courses in the area, Salem from what I understand is easier to join now than it was in the past. Miopia, cross that off your list. That is old school money and super hard to get into. Ferncroft Danvers is super close to my condo and that is another solid option if you are looking to get your foot in the door for a private club.

There are a few private 9 holers in the area as well.

Tough neighborhood for good golf. I'd guess that the Andover area would be the best bet for good courses that are reasonably accessible.

Ok, so it sounds like there are no decent public courses?

I am playing up there Saturday at Black Swan in Georgetown, it's a pretty decent course. A little bummed that they change to carts required on the weekends, I'd rather walk and it was a better value that way, too. Not a bad course, a little boring but usually decent conditions.

But yes, probably fewer good public options north vs south or west.

Ok, so it sounds like there are no decent public courses?

In the immediate area of Marblehead, there aren’t many 18 hole courses. We have some great munnies like Gannon in Lynn and The Meadows Peabody. These are close by and two of the best munnies in MA.

Sagamore Lynnfield is ok not great. Hillview in N Reading is crap.

Black Swan is a solid choice as well.

OT: Why are you considering Swampscott or Marblehead? They are nice towns but the traffic to get in/out BLOWS especially for Marblehead! If you are going to be working in Boston and only taking the train in, you will be fine. If you are needing easier access to the highways. Look at Lynnfield, Reading, N. Reading, Wakefield, Melrose. These are all Rt 1/128 towns that are great family towns and fast highway access.

One thing you will learn out here is how small NE is. From my place I am 25 mins to NH and 30 to Maine. From say Lynnfield, add 10 mins. From Lynnfield you can get to RI in under an hour, CT well you don’t go there as we sold it to NY for a bag of balls. lol. VT is under 2hrs.

Many of us N Shore people fly up to NH/ME as the southern points have some of the best public golf around.

Feel free to PM me if you have town based questions.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Looks like we're heading North Shore instead of MetroWest. We'll be in the Marblehead/Swampscott area.

I lived in Southern NH, then moved to Marblehead and lived there for 3 years. What you have in that area are 1) VERY expensive private courses and 2) really crummy public courses that I didn't want to play. Bottom line, from Marblehead, I chose to drive 45-ish minutes to Butter Brook or an hour up to southern NH.

As a non-golf aside: despite the bad golf aspect, we LOVED living in Marblehead. Watching the sailing races from Chandler-Hovey park while the sun goes down with a glass of wine and some sushi - you feel like you live in the best place on earth. I love it - but unless you can afford Tedesco or something like that, it's a tough spot for golf.

I think the tough part of this course and why people (including me) struggle is the elevated greens. I think 10 of the 18 approaches are to elevated greens where you can't see the surface of the green. The is uncomfortable for most people. I personally like the layout and the course but I do struggle with the approach shots.

I think the tough part of this course and why people (including me) struggle is the elevated greens. I think 10 of the 18 approaches are to elevated greens where you can't see the surface of the green. The is uncomfortable for most people. I personally like the layout and the course but I do struggle with the approach shots.

6 by my count - 3,5,7,13,15 and 18. 1, 14 and 17 are very slightly elevated, but not too much. 11 can be if you hit a bad tee shot. :) 5 and 7 are beasts.

And yes I agree as I mentioned that's part of the visual intimidation along with some of the tee shots.

• 1 year later...

Also live in Newton/Wellesley area and can echo what raynorfan1 says. The local courses (Brae Burn, Charles River, Wellesley, Weston) are pretty well subscribed. I think if you have a broad network of sponsors at some of those courses it can be doable in a year, but others could take 5+ years. The only one I don't know anything about is Woodland, but imagine it is in the same boat as the others.

Of course, Framingham CC isn't too far if you're in the area and I have heard good things (per other threads). I think that one is a bit more readily available

Lastly, if you end up settling in Wellesley, Nehoiden is an awesome set-up. Just takes about 7 years on the waiting list...

Feel free to PM if you have any more questions about some of these places

• 2 weeks later...

One other option is do the New England Amateur Tour... Sure, it's on their schedule and not yours, but if you want to play golf, there are usually a couple options every weekend (MA and RI) and also multiple during the week. Comes with GHIN and MGA (if in MA) or RIGA (if in RI) membership. Amateur Golf Tour of New EnglandSure, not a brick and mortar club, but still... I like the variety offered by the group, and being under new management last year was a VERY good thing. :) Good group of guys.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*