detailed pics of the nike ss hybrid..

abewley

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would look better if the silver arc was painted black, too.

"Nike Golf - we're ugly but we win." Or

"Win Ugly with Nike Golf"

The Tour SS Hybrid looks better. But you'd lose the benefits of forgiveness.

Of course, nothing was as ugly as the Cleveland VAS irons - I owned those, too.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

"nike....we might be ugly but we still have tiger"

i have to admit they do not produce the most asthetically (sp??) pleasing clubs out there but boy do they work. who cares what clubs look like if they perform, they could be bright pink with glitter and if it knocked strokes off my game it'd give it a shot

It's definitely an odd-looking hybrid, but I'd certainly give it a go. Plus, you can take it with you when you play guitar on the street and people can drop change in the scooped out back! (cool)

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I agree that the "regular" model of their recent lineup is pretty odd looking. Of course, those closeup pics are not a normal view you see day in and day out. I also agree about the Cleveland Halo type look. Doesn't the new Cleveland driver have a similar look to it from address too?

Slicer, you know the story about glass houses and throwing rocks? Ping irons have never won a beauty contest that I can remember. (cool)

i have to admit they do not produce the most asthetically (sp??) pleasing clubs out there but boy do they work. who cares what clubs look like if they perform, they could be bright pink with glitter and if it knocked strokes off my game it'd give it a shot

the nike blades, pro combo tour, and wedges are very good looking clubs with clean lines. even the t-40, t-60, and pro combo utility irons were good looking. the sq, slingshot family, and cpr family are, not so good looking, but none the less great clubs.

the laddle look of this club doesn't bother me, but the slingshot arch on the back just doesn't do it for me.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Slicer, you know the story about glass houses and throwing rocks? Ping irons have never won a beauty contest that I can remember. (cool)

Well, I'll put any PING model (except the initial irons) up against the Slingshot and I promise most pannelist would select the PING. Performance-wise, look on eBay and tell me how much the PING Eye2's are going for, I'll save you the effort, try $300-250. I guarantee nobody will buy Slingshots 20+ years from now.

Talk about glass houses and rocks.

Interesting Statement considering that Golf Digest just had a Hot List review and I believe Ping G5 and i5 Irons were tested but some how they did not win?

Didn't the scoop back design(Geometry) start with the original CPR Wood??? The Ping Hybrid has that exact concept but you probably think it's cool?

If the Slingshot Irons are so ugly then why are there Tour Pro's using them in 2 and 3 irons???

Just a question and all in Fun of course...Nike Lead the Tour in Iron wins in 05'.

FIT-Functional Innovative Technology...Slingshot; SQ both have changed club technology.

Swing Man-

You forgot one part to your "Win Ugly with Nike Golf"..."Win Often"!

Fastest Growing Iron on Tour the last 2 years...

27 wins world wide with Ignite Driver in 05'

5 wins with SQ drivers in 05'

I would rather win "Ugly" like: Campbell;Petterson:Choi:Casey: seems like winning Ugly is something that alot of Tour players are starting to do...

Couldn't help myself...

Where's the Love???

the nike blades, pro combo tour, and wedges are very good looking clubs with clean lines. even the t-40, t-60, and pro combo utility irons were good looking. the sq, slingshot family, and cpr family are, not so good looking, but none the less great clubs.

the laddle look of this club doesn't bother me, but the slingshot arch on the back just doesn't do it for me.

thanks for clarifynig, their tour line-up (blades, sq tour, etc) do look really nice. very clean look to most of them. nike sure has come a long way in not a lot of time

Just a contradiction.

Own an SQ Max (waiting for new shafts to come out)

Have a combo of Ping G5 and i5 irons and Ping Tour Wedges.

Also have some Miura CB-201s and Zodia Weges for the summer bag.

But if I find a hybrid that works, I will definitely give it a good look even it lacks good looks - been looking too long to care about looks.

I'll check out the Tour and Retail SS hybrids in March/April.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Well, I'll put any PING model (except the initial irons) up against the Slingshot and I promise most pannelist would select the PING. Performance-wise, look on eBay and tell me how much the PING Eye2's are going for, I'll save you the effort, try $300-250. I guarantee nobody will buy Slingshots 20+ years from now.

Talk about glass houses and rocks.

Come on Slicer, you have to know I was just returning the dish you served. It's all personal preference and opinions. Opinions are two way doors, you make some people don't agree with and they will make some you don't agree with. I agree with you on the looks of the Slingshot hybrid, but you don't have to acknowledge my distaste for Ping irons for it to remain.

I started it, so I'll finish it. Golf equipment is a preference thing, you either like something or you don't. I was just having fun and then it got personal.

Nothing personal here, but if you "dish it out", you should be able to "take it" as well. After all, I agreed with most of what you said, I just wanted to reverse the table and prove my point. It's fine to have an opinion, but when it get's carried away then it can easily be mistaken as negative towards someone's "personal preference"; which would make it "personal".

Back on topic for a second...

Top view of SSH looks fine - but the first and third pictures are a bit out there...

I am a staunch Nike supporter and I must say, over the last year, that they have surprised me with some radical designs - the SQ and now the SSH.

Honestly though, as long as it works, I don't mind the heckling from the "traditionalists".

Has anyone actually seen SSH in person? Or even hit it?

Honestly, I can't find much wrong with Nike. It's o.k. to contradict yourself once in a while. The new Nike OZ Black T130 putter is cool looking, the new Slingshot Tours are very nice, the SQ will take time to accept, but I'm sure they're a gem in their own right, the TW wedges are nice looking. The hybrid will take time to get used to, let's just say, it's an upgrade from the CPR's. I equate the CPR's color kind of like that god awful burnt orange color that TaylorMade had with the original Rescue.

Well a club is a club to a pro it doesnt matter as long as its customized to him im sure the pro can really give a **** what he plays as long as he's getting payed a butt load to do so aka tiger. Tiger doesnt use off the wall clubs and neither do pros from other companies so how can u compared equipment? Yes nike stuff is different and they do it on purpose. They cant come into the club making industry and pump out the same thing everyone else is. They need something that will catch the buyers eye so with the fancy colors and tiger woods backing them im sure they will due just fine and im sure there billions of dollars wont hurt either.

This is a heavy duty post, I'm sure exchanges like these will make a few more lurkers into hard core lurkers. Even makes me a bit gun shy. Myself and most others that have been playing golf for a while do care what clubs look like. If the design works it will add something to the game, and that is great. Karsten and Co. took a leap 30 years ago and changed everything that you see in front of you today. Heard the term cavity back lately??

For Nike to change their cutting edge style of making sporting goods would go against everything that they stand for as a company. Just take a look at the basketball shoes in your closet. Their marketing department is brilliant in that they can sell something new and different, for more than most companies can sell for, and it will eventually find its way into the country club market.

Understand that none of you have to change the opinions of the others in this forum. Just lay out what you think, as asked, and get off of the mud slinging.

For the good of the game...

Nicholas

DiscountDansGolfcom  Highlands Golf Club
DiscountDansGolf.com

Highlands Golf Club
Gearhart, Oregon
1-877-738-5248
[email protected]