MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

Comments

• FAbbFAbb Members Posts: 15,901 ✭✭
    Sully doesn't get to travel to nice places for work, but he gets to sit around watching Masters replays.

I bet Domes would trade his trips to old folks homes in Florida for your flexible hours, and work from home frequency.

Maybe better to hold off on that "need to find a job with better travel perks" initiative.
    We've probably all heard of this guy by now, but I did find this line in regards to his thoughts on swing speed trends on tour particularly eye-popping

Average clubhead speeds with the driver will continue to climb. In fact, the odds of a Tour player swinging at 140 mph periodically over the next 10 years are pretty decent.

It's a short interview with Golf Magazine. Full text here.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/2019/02/12/14358132/sasho-mackenzie-swing-speed-bio-mechanist-golf-swing

If you have a guy like Champ today, who averages close to 130 - what is his peak? Do they clock him at 130-couple a hand full of times throughout the season? You'd need to get somebody out there averaging probably in excess of 135 to see them touch 140 on occasion. That's wild.

On a totally unrelated note, the FrankenTyne is in the mail. Pics are apparently on the cerakote applicator's IG, but I don't have my phone to access IG at work.

• ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,707 ✭✭

You've been Old Skooled, Sully.

Is there anyone here who is younger than me (47) that ever wore metal spikes?

Me. I'm 37. My shoes in the mid to late 90's were metal spikes. Saddle shoe style.
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • SullGolfSullGolf Members Posts: 8,767 ✭✭
    You don't know how tough it is FAbb. The 97 Masters wasn't even in HD! It's a struggle.

I would like to work from home less actually, even though it is super convenient. The biggest benefit is that I don't have to pretend to be productive when I'm not. When I'm not busy, I watch the Masters or leave to go play golf rather than sitting at my computer with my hands on alt/tab in case anyone walks by. The flexibility is over-rated a bit though. When I was office bound, I left the office and that was it for the day. At home, it's too easy to go look at email at 8pm.
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members Posts: 15,250 ✭✭
    FAbb wrote:

We've probably all heard of this guy by now, but I did find this line in regards to his thoughts on swing speed trends on tour particularly eye-popping

Average clubhead speeds with the driver will continue to climb. In fact, the odds of a Tour player swinging at 140 mph periodically over the next 10 years are pretty decent.

https://www.golf.com...nist-golf-swing

If you have a guy like Champ today, who averages close to 130 - what is his peak? Do they clock him at 130-couple a hand full of times throughout the season? You'd need to get somebody out there averaging probably in excess of 135 to see them touch 140 on occasion. That's wild.

On a totally unrelated note, the FrankenTyne is in the mail. Pics are apparently on the cerakote applicator's IG, but I don't have my phone to access IG at work.

https://www.instagra.../p/Btydhf2nEk_/

I've got enough tabs open so that they're kind of abridged, and the tab for that guy's instagram page just says, "STERLING ****".

Check out that bird, guvnah. Sterling **** on that one. . .
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Sauce : tour
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-PW

Vokey 50º illegal grooves
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Bobby Grace Amazing Grace

Oncore Elixir
    WELL, DID IT TURN OUT WELL?
    edited Feb 12, 2019 12:37pm #9608
    FAbb wrote:

WELL, DID IT TURN OUT WELL?
    You tell me. (changed the "pickle". It would have gotten deleted)

s-l1000.jpg
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,670 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 12:36pm #9609
    FAbb wrote:

I don't know about that. Have the swings of long drivers really gotten faster over time? It's like the 110mph fastball analogy to golf.

Also if you sell that FrankenTyne, crawl under a rock. That looks awesome.
    M4 9.5°, Green Mamba 70TX
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

Nobody send Fabb a picture of his new putter, please.

#TiltFabbTuesday.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    Your putter looks alright, but appears to be either 1) enlisting in the military or 2) under threat of being shot.

0kBSZw3.jpg?1

#TiltCityTuesday
    [sharedmedia=core:attachments:2566969]
  • dagoose383dagoose383 Members Posts: 2,145 ✭✭

You've been Old Skooled, Sully.

Is there anyone here who is younger than me (47) that ever wore metal spikes?

Soon to be 36 and I remember that wonderful sound of a fresh set of metal spikes on the asphalt as I walked up to the pro shop in my sweet pair of Dexter saddle shoes.

I remember when “soft spikes” were just basic pieces of plastic with little nubs. Then the Spider cleats came out and from then on the soft spikes got fancier and fancier.
    Callaway GBB EPIC 10.5* HZRDUS Stiff
    Callaway Great Big Bertha 15* Kuro Kage Stiff
    Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
    Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
    Callaway MD Forged Slate 54* DGTI S200
    Callaway MD Forged Chrome 60* DGTI S200
    Callaway PM Grind Black 64* KBS Tour V Stiff
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Original Futura
    Srixon Z-Star Yellow
    edited Feb 12, 2019 12:53pm #9614
    GooseHook wrote:

I don't know about that. Have the swings of long drivers really gotten faster over time? It's like the 110mph fastball analogy to golf.

I wouldn't have given it much credibility prior to seeing Champ come on the scene, or watching a guy like Matt Wolff turn it up to 130.

It seemed like we had flat lined, with guys like DJ and Rory pushing the mid 120s. Then Champ came out of nowhere, slinging it 130 average. It makes it seem more possible that we'll have somebody come along swinging 135 on a golf course.
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers Posts: 1,707 ✭✭
    dagoose383 wrote:

I remember that wonderful sound of a fresh set of metal spikes on the asphalt as I walked

I miss that crunching sound.
    GooseHook wrote:

FAbb wrote:

The sorta difference here is that there are already guys who swing 150 (the LD guys).

So, there's nothing physiologically stopping a 140 swing on tour. It's just a matter of being able to control it enough to play golf.

(note : I don't actually know if they're swinging 150 with a legal club. There might be a limit to how fast you can swing a regulation driver).
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    I think LD clubs already comply with ROG, City. Most of them are built to the 48" max.

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

So this Sterling Arsenal is actually a gun supply store (and refinisher, or something)

gladius_rv2_4beg.png

I can go a lot of ways with that. I mean, they're using the "Julius Caesar" theme. But, they are gun guys and that phrase is more associated with killing Lincoln, which, eh. . .you're from the south and your motto is THAT?

Of course, it would be pretty awesome if Fabb yelled "Sic Semper Tyrannis" everytime he sunk a putt.

I don't think I noticed it until about the 50th viewing, but when the guy pees on the dude's rug in The Big Lewbowski, the guy says, "Thus always to deadbeats, Lebowski."
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir

So this Sterling Arsenal is actually a gun supply store (and refinisher, or something)

gladius_rv2_4beg.png

I can go a lot of ways with that. I mean, they're using the "Julius Caesar" theme. But, they are gun guys and that phrase is more associated with killing Lincoln, which, eh. . .you're from the south and your motto is THAT?

Of course, it would be pretty awesome if Fabb yelled "Sic Semper Tyrannis" everytime he sunk a putt.

I don't think I noticed it until about the 50th viewing, but when the guy pees on the dude's rug in The Big Lewbowski, the guy says, "Thus always to deadbeats, Lebowski."

These types are the most associated with gun culture. For every 10 people who hunt, own one gun, or just casually target shoot every now and then, you've got these doomsday prepping "don't tread on me" types who fantasize about conducting guerilla warfare on their farmland.

/endrant

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

edited Feb 12, 2019 1:14pm #9620

gladius_rv2_4beg.png

I think that motto is on VA's flag. Or is at least the state motto.
  • Johnny TJohnny T Wait for me guys! Members Posts: 3,936 ✭✭
    virginia-flag-graphic.png
    Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-PW - Fujikura Pro 115
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58 - Fujikura Pro 115/DG 115
    Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
    CJ's correct that it's the motto.

The motto of Maryland is "Manly deeds, womanly words." Which is decidedly less cool than "thus always to tyrants".
  • baddomesbaddomes Members Posts: 5,619 ✭✭
    FAbb wrote:

I bet Domes would trade his trips to old folks homes in Florida for your flexible hours, and work from home frequency.

FALSE
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,706 mod
    Wait did you end up going with Sterling Arsenal? Thats my old boss, who quit his job to open up a custom gunsmithing shop. And yes they also do cerakoting.

I've really got no good comments that I could post here less I have to delete my own post and give myself a warning.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
    SPILL THE BEANS DC
    giphy.gif
  • Johnny TJohnny T Wait for me guys! Members Posts: 3,936 ✭✭
    Fabb going to get the ban hammer for using Sterling Arsenal!
    Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
    Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-PW - Fujikura Pro 115
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58 - Fujikura Pro 115/DG 115
    Edel E-3 Torque Balanced
  • OcgolfrickOcgolfrick Members Posts: 1,566 ✭✭
    At the Monthly Gunnut Doomsday Survival group at Sterling Cerakote Co:

"So check out this sweet Barrett .50 cal I just coated- that'll keep the commies at bay! And this here Bayoneted Browning Rifle- I tell you if ISIS ever showed up at my bunker they'd have **** to pay!"

"So,Wilbur, what's this here thing" (picks up FrankenTyne)

"Oh Oh, uh um...that's there is a Putt...sticker, its, uh, used by Brazilian Special Forces against Anarchists!"

"It looks like a golf putter."

"Naw naw naw, this here's a quality gun shop, you guys think I'd stoop so low to do golf stuff??? With the Apocalypse around the corner?"

"Its sure got good balance and a good look at address with that Cerakote on 'er though."

"Oh oh oh, uh, yeah, she's a good...weapon to have.."
    Hive Tour Titles: 0
    Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
    Suck it, Ceejay.
    It's still a good cerakote job, but Fabb should have went with a stealth gray or OD green.

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

SullGolf wrote:

CJ's correct that it's the motto.

The motto of Maryland is "Manly deeds, womanly words." Which is decidedly less cool than "thus always to tyrants".
    The VA motto. . .directed at the king, not the president. OK, that goes back to 1776. DC's boss left his job this century.

The Maine motto is "Dirigo". . ."I Lead". I always grew up thinking it meant because we have the easternmost point in the US and it referred to seeing the sun first. It turns out it's because Maine used to have an election in September.

LAME.
    Ping G25 10.5º
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Cobra f6 Hybrid

Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º

Oncore Elixir
    GooseHook wrote:

It's still a good cerakote job, but Fabb should have went with a stealth gray or OD green.

I didn't want anything metallic.

The vast majority of putters I've seen done are graphite black, stealth grey, and whatever the matte black color is called.

I ended up with socom blue, which by all accounts is a really deep blue/black color. Interested to get it in hand later this week for sure.

I've got a matte black putter shaft, and a fresh stock grip (PP60, I think it's called) to build it up with.

With as many CSPPs as I've been hitting with the slant neck Tyne, and as much as I'm enjoying that, I'm worried about the FrankenTyne's chances of ever breaking into the rotation.