MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

Comments

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods  13042WRX Points: 2,713Handicap: 7.2Posts: 13,042 Marshals

Excellent episode.

I'm a huge fan of Secession GC, absolutely love it.

Posted:
    SIM 12* - HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5
    SIM 15* 3W - Diamana 75s / 4h Ventus S
    SIM 4i Ventus S  / 5i Steelfiber 95s
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / 58*
    Toulon Austin 35" / TM TP5x Pix
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Sterling_247Sterling_247 Northern VirginiaMembers  453WRX Points: 528Handicap: unkPosts: 453 Greens

Haha Rick that would be because the lowest cap in the field hasn't swung a club since mid-October and currently holds a vanity cap

Posted:
    Cobra F9 9*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Titleist 818 H2 21*
    Titleist 818 H2 23*
    TM TP MC '11 5-PW
    TM Hi-Toe 50* + 54*
    TM Milled Bronze 58*
    Scotty Select Newport 2

• aiyyeraiyyer Members  1967WRX Points: 977Posts: 1,967 Platinum Tees

Or Broken 80 regularly. Nice logo and format but Eagles colors though

Posted:
  • 2moreTerpz2moreTerpz Members  156WRX Points: 266Posts: 156 Fairways

Whoop 3.0 strap update. I have two opinions which i don't think are contradictory.

1) It's accurate and comprehensive enough that it actually has resulted in minor life style changes for me. Examples: Every single day in addition to the detail on your sleep and your workouts you see a "daily strain" score and a "recovery" score. The daily strain score is a non-linear score from 0-21 (at least i assume it's non-linear). The recovery score is given in %. When your recovery score is high your body is able to take on a higher strain. The point of the daily strain score is that it isn't just workouts that add up. Stress, commuting, etc. all add to it. I'll expand on this later but that is probably the only thing they advertise that i would say is sales BS. The recovery scores are SO interesting though. Sunday night vs. Monday night. Sleep: 7:16, 7:16. Awake time: 21, 33, REM: 2:32, 2:29, SWS: 1:44, 1:46. So they appear to be identical right? NOT. My recovery score after Sunday was 61%. My recovery score after Tuesday night was 87%. What's the difference? I had 4 beers from 5:30 - 9:30 Sunday night. So my resting heart rate was 57 beats per minute while i slept. On Monday night my resting heart rate was 45 beats per minute while i slept. Every morning when you process your sleep you fill out a questionnaire. Obviously we all know what is good for us and what isn't. I've always been decent about working out. I've had one day in two weeks I didn't work out since i started using it. The concrete numbers and the daily reminder of seeing how our behavior impacts those numbers likely produces change. It has for me.

2) You can only glean so much from something that is only monitoring your heart beat. Back to daily strain. I have a weight lifting workout i do with 10 minutes of pretty intense cardio afterwards. The whoop tells me i'm kinda a lazy **** after that workout. The squats in the weight lifting workout leave me a lot more sore than an elliptical workout that the whoop says adds more strain. On some level I get that. But I guess the problem is that if i only wanted to maximize numbers I'd delete the workout that I should be doing. It also says that stress, commuting, etc. put a strain on you. Yeah. LIke a couple beats per minute in heart rate. I had one long and stressful day that I didn't work out last week. It can't really know how that stuff really impacts you just by looking at heart rate. The flip side is that it confirms how important being generally active is. Before I did my workout yesterday I took a refresher style golf lesson and had basketball practice for both my kids. From that general activity I had already gotten mediocre numbers prior to the workout.

It's a useful, interesting, accurate, overpriced device.

Posted:
  • FAbbFAbb Members  16552WRX Points: 1,928Posts: 16,552 Titanium Tees

I read somewhere that one of the biggest changes Whoop users report is lowering their alcohol consumption.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods  13042WRX Points: 2,713Handicap: 7.2Posts: 13,042 Marshals

Can the Whoop function as just the HR monitor for other devices?

I use a arm HR strap now when I do running or spin classes on the Peloton app that connects to the ipad. Or is the Whoop proprietary to use only with their app?

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s

i don't know the answer dc. if you go to the strap settings it will let you bluetooth your heart rate to other devices. So maybe that means yes.

FABB you can see from my example why you'd decrease alcohol consumption. even modest amounts impact your sleep and recovery.

Posted:

live from the driving range at the WMO on golf channel right now. I got the DVR fired up to watch that when i get home!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • eagle1997eagle1997 Members  18365WRX Points: 1,152Posts: 18,365 Titanium Tees

shyamalan twist from 2018: there were TWO cityheads all along!

shyamalan twist from 2019: after the drive down, the domesheads never made it out of the car.

shyamalan twist from 2020:

Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 9.5°
    TEE XCG4 3w 15°
    Cally Steelhead XR 17°
    Cobra BioCell 22°
    Cobra One Length 5-PW
    Bstone J15 50°
    Bstone J15 52°
    Odyssey Black Milled #1
  • SullGolfSullGolf Members  9213WRX Points: 1,592Posts: 9,213 Titanium Tees

Can we take bets on who it is? I’m calling deadman.

Posted:
  • Golfer827Golfer827 Known as 'The Deadman' Members  1907WRX Points: 186Handicap: 30Posts: 1,907 Platinum Tees

You'd be losing money at that guess, if I were to wager. Though I have no clue what Eagle is thinking.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
    Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
    Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
    Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
    Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
    Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

If you hover over your avatar - does your approximate old feedback score show up? Couple of guys have zeros that I thought for sure would not be.

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
  • Sterling_247Sterling_247 Northern VirginiaMembers  453WRX Points: 528Handicap: unkPosts: 453 Greens
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 9*
    Cobra F9 14.5*
    Titleist 818 H2 21*
    Titleist 818 H2 23*
    TM TP MC '11 5-PW
    TM Hi-Toe 50* + 54*
    TM Milled Bronze 58*
    Scotty Select Newport 2

Advertisement
  • ALTSeanALTSean VirginiaMembers  1448WRX Points: 615Posts: 1,448 Platinum Tees

My seems accurate too! Glad to see that feedback is back and that my hoing can be quantified!

Posted:
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members  16566WRX Points: 3,876Handicap: 2ishPosts: 16,566 Titanium Tees

Low man this week out of these four. . .

Viktor Hovland

Matthew Wolff

Colin Morikawa

Sung Jae Im.

I was watching replay of WM from last year. Saw Rickie chip over the green into the pond, take a drop and then it all started coming back to me. . .he dropped twice. Ball rolled back into water. Places a ball, goes up to green to scout his shot, and his placed ball rolls back into the water.

Hilarious. And stupid. Ball rolls down a hill into the water and two drops roll back into the water, but hey, I'll just place this ball right here in the same spot and walk around for a couple minutes.

Still, he went on to win. I like him for a top 5 this week, possible win.

Posted:
    Ping G400 MAX 10.5º XTORSION Copper 60
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Ping Scottsdale Wolverine
    Oncore Elixir

funny list city ... this week was the first time i have ever changed my pick twice in a week. First i took hovland because i like him and would enjoy rooting for him. but he's coming back from the middle east. I don't like that at all. then i took scottie schefler. But. there are only 37 tournaments in the one and done. shouldn't i be able to go the whole year taking players better than that? i ended up on IM. his game doesn't have holes (except putting) so you can really use him anywhere. i love his game and his swing. i like watching him play quite a bit.

My answer is that if I'm betting I'd 100% take wolff. I don't think his chances of winning are that much different. but he's 66-1 vs. around 35-1 for the others. the others are each more likely to finish T18 though. they're more consistent week to week and all better overall.

i listened to the shane bacon podcast where he had geoff shackelford on. shack said two things i found quite interesting. He said that tiger and rory had noticeably slimmed down. i wondered about that. I even sent some "has rory slimmed down??" texts this weekend. Basically strength is good. extra weight = more injuries and harder to warm up.

he also said that he wondered if the use of trackman had sort of peaked. He said he saw less of them on the range last week than normal. that makes some sense to me. it's an incredible tool. but i could see it being easy to get obsessed over what it is saying and for that to turn your focus away from what is actually important.

Posted:
  • OCCantChipOCCantChip Members  8WRX Points: 42Handicap: 12Posts: 8 Bunkers

I'm all for the Skins idea. Nice logo!

Posted:

I went with Snedeker this week - something about his attitude last week jumped out at me.

(confirmed MC incoming)

I wonder if the lack of Trackmans has something to do with offseason testing. Most guys will have spent the last 4-6-8 weeks testing out new stuff before they started their season. Maybe its just a fluke where a lot of guys have already dialed themselves in for first couple of events?

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s

Advertisement
  • TheCityGameTheCityGame Traj like Minaj Members  16566WRX Points: 3,876Handicap: 2ishPosts: 16,566 Titanium Tees

funny list city

Those are the "big" young guns right? I'd throw Neiman in there but he's not playing. I'm probably forgetting someone (Ancer?). I think those 4 guys are all under 22. I don't know who is going to have the best career. I always like a funky swing like Wolff's.

DC, I like the Snedeker pick. He doesn't play in a lot these days and almost always seems to play well when he plays. Last year I might have used him at that course where he shot 59. That video of his 59 is still one of my favorite youTube videos. It totally sneaks up on the announcers.

Posted:
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Oncore Elixir

GTT1 : Gimme Wolff.

Golf Talk Thursday 2 : I had this conversation with 2MT already. Assume the current top 6 in points (https://www.rydercup.com/rankings) will go on to qualify for the US Ryder Cup team. Who would you pick to fill the remaining 6 spots on the team?

Posted:

Without digging into the RC qualifying numbers or how the points are handed out - its certainly stunning that Koepka has almost two times the number of points as the guy in 3rd place. Dayummmm.

Today I'd go Finau, Kisner, Cantlay, Fowler, Snedeker.

I'd pull a couple of the top guys aside and ask how they think Reed would be in the team room. All jokes and haha aside, what do they think? If they say no, I think I put Kuchar in there.

Posted:
    M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95s
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members  12005WRX Points: 506Posts: 12,005 Titanium Tees

I'd expect to see Fowler, Finau and Kuchar up there by the time the team is finalized. If I had to pick 3 more, I'd say Wolff, Snedeker, and Bubba.

Posted:
    SIM 9.0°, Atmos Black 7x
    Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

X Forged '18  5-P, PX 6.5
    MD Forged 50/54/58
    SM6 62M

Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11s
    Tour BX

Cantlay, Finau, Morikawa, Wolff, Bryson, Rickie.

Give me power, and youth. I don't want dinkers, or olds.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • thechief16thechief16 Hits it left and left of left Members  2669WRX Points: 622Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

GTT: Went Rahm this week. In the hope that he wins and it'll tilt everyone who had him last week. And he's a really f'ing good player.

re: RC: I'm down with DC's list, add Webb and then think long and hard about replacing with Kis with Bryson or a kid (say Wolff or Morikawa win again). I hate Bryson, but how is he ranked 42 spots below Kis?

Posted:
    M5
    Steelhead
    Baffler
    Apex Pro Smoke '19
    SM7 50*, 56*, 60*
    Futura 5W

GTT2: Finau, Cantlay, Fowler, DeChambeau, Spieth, Simpson is probably something like what we'll see. I don't see leaving Spieth off if he does anything this year.

I'd LIKE to see Wolff, Morikawa, Cantlay, BDC, Hossler.

Fowler doesn't have a great track record at Ryder and I don't trust him. I also would not trust Finau to play well in one. There's something I don't like about his game. . .he's not a good putter. I think his lack of a win (PR doesn't count) doesn't sit well with me. Pick off an "easy" one somewhere. Cam Champ even has 2.

A guy I hope has a good year (but I doubt he will) is Beau Hossler. I like him; he played well last week (as did Mav McNealy and Cam Champ).

Posted:
    RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
    Strong torso
    Cobra f6 Hybrid
    Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
    Vokey 60º/04º
    Oncore Elixir

you can't answer the question without first considering the ryder cup course is whistling straights. that's a legit bombers course. and collin morikawa has to be on the team. Sneds and Kuch don't fit the course and just are part of all the losing. Bubba's course fit is OK but he's probably not good enough at this point. Bryson, Finau, Morikawa are 100% for me if i'm the captain. Webb is likely. Rickie is likely. The last spot is tricky.

The sagarin ratings are much more useful for picking teams than the OWGR.

http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DCMembers  2150WRX Points: 1,558Posts: 2,150 Platinum Tees

I love me some Hideki but I hope he misses the cut in spectacular fashion.

Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.