Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Rich S mission complete :)

15678911»

Comments

  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Rich, good job my friend. You brought us along for an awesome journey. Congrats on improving so much, really impressive stuff.

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @rich s said:
    On my way to throw my clubs in the dump I thought I would play one last round. Fired off a one under 71. Man I love this game! Trending at a 3.0... :open_mouth:

    Well done. Any feels or moves which put you back on track? Was it that right hip?

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Golfbeat said:

    @rich s said:
    On my way to throw my clubs in the dump I thought I would play one last round. Fired off a one under 71. Man I love this game! Trending at a 3.0... :open_mouth:

    Well done. Any feels or moves which put you back on track? Was it that right hip?

    I fight the OTT move and used to play the ball middle to forward. With my new swing I play it middle to off my back foot. Over time the ball position crept forward and for some reason when that happens my hips slide at the start of the downswing and I dump the club. Putting the ball back eliminates the slide.

    My feel is just swinging as far to the right as possible with the ball towards the back of my stance. Still hitting a few a little bit thin but end up being good shots. I hit 16/18 greens two days ago and 14/18 greens last night.

  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Members Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @rich s said:

    @Golfbeat said:

    @rich s said:
    On my way to throw my clubs in the dump I thought I would play one last round. Fired off a one under 71. Man I love this game! Trending at a 3.0... :open_mouth:

    Well done. Any feels or moves which put you back on track? Was it that right hip?

    I fight the OTT move and used to play the ball middle to forward. With my new swing I play it middle to off my back foot. Over time the ball position crept forward and for some reason when that happens my hips slide at the start of the downswing and I dump the club. Putting the ball back eliminates the slide.

    My feel is just swinging as far to the right as possible with the ball towards the back of my stance. Still hitting a few a little bit thin but end up being good shots. I hit 16/18 greens two days ago and 14/18 greens last night.

    I assume that the feeling of hitting it way right is just a feel, otherwise you would be prone to hitting a lot of blocks and hooks?

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Golfbeat said:

    @rich s said:

    @Golfbeat said:

    @rich s said:
    On my way to throw my clubs in the dump I thought I would play one last round. Fired off a one under 71. Man I love this game! Trending at a 3.0... :open_mouth:

    Well done. Any feels or moves which put you back on track? Was it that right hip?

    I fight the OTT move and used to play the ball middle to forward. With my new swing I play it middle to off my back foot. Over time the ball position crept forward and for some reason when that happens my hips slide at the start of the downswing and I dump the club. Putting the ball back eliminates the slide.

    My feel is just swinging as far to the right as possible with the ball towards the back of my stance. Still hitting a few a little bit thin but end up being good shots. I hit 16/18 greens two days ago and 14/18 greens last night.

    I assume that the feeling of hitting it way right is just a feel, otherwise you would be prone to hitting a lot of blocks and hooks?

    Because I am still naturally OTT, the feeling of swinging right gets me only a few degrees right. Ball position dictates flight from there. My go to stock shot is a tiny push draw. Maybe 3 yards with a 6i. I cannot swing to the right if the ball is forward of center at all and that’s why I lost my game. Old habits die hard

  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,764 ClubWRX

    @rich s - great stuff man! It's been awesome following along and seeing you reach your goal. I hope you'll continue to post the updates!


    > See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

    Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Rohlio said:
    A few things...funny about the 71 following the 86. My best ever turn around was a 91 in the morning round and a 71 in the afternoon... Golf is weird.

    Congratulations on getting under a 3 that is really some good golf!

    Don't close the thread. I will leave you with the words my wife told me, when I as a 30 year old 18 handicap came home and proclaimed "That's it I am going to get good or quit. I just want to be a 5 so I can play with anyone, anywhere and not embarrass myself."

    Her response:

    "Nice to know I married a ****... Get to scratch or just quit already."

    Man I love my wife. See you at +0.1

    Congratulations Rich! Well done.

    Rohlio, this post gets my vote for post of the month. That girl is a keeper, don't let her get away!

    Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,940 ClubWRX

    Wait Rich...just because the goal was achieved doesn't mean it isn't a time for a new goal. Give yourself time to come up with a new goal and let's get to it. It's been such an enjoyable thread and journey so let's keep it going with new goals and a new plan.

  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @sprcoop said:

    @Rohlio said:
    A few things...funny about the 71 following the 86. My best ever turn around was a 91 in the morning round and a 71 in the afternoon... Golf is weird.

    Congratulations on getting under a 3 that is really some good golf!

    Don't close the thread. I will leave you with the words my wife told me, when I as a 30 year old 18 handicap came home and proclaimed "That's it I am going to get good or quit. I just want to be a 5 so I can play with anyone, anywhere and not embarrass myself."

    Her response:

    "Nice to know I married a ****... Get to scratch or just quit already."

    Man I love my wife. See you at +0.1

    Congratulations Rich! Well done.

    Rohlio, this post gets my vote for post of the month. That girl is a keeper, don't let her get away!

    hahaha Thanks man, 20 years in!

    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rich s said:
    First half of my Tuesday league ended tonight. It’s a nine hole league. I played the second place guy and I shot a one under 35 to win. He shot 38 so it was a good match. I hit all 9 greens. Had the opportunity to go really low but just lipped a few birdie putts.

    Getting my right wrist cupped in the backswing and keeping it cupped at the start of the downswing is my swing thought. From there it’s just different set ups to control flight and distances.

    @rich s said:
    First half of my Tuesday league ended tonight. It’s a nine hole league. I played the second place guy and I shot a one under 35 to win. He shot 38 so it was a good match. I hit all 9 greens. Had the opportunity to go really low but just lipped a few birdie putts.

    Getting my right wrist cupped in the backswing and keeping it cupped at the start of the downswing is my swing thought. From there it’s just different set ups to control flight and distances.

    AKA Iron Byron got nothing on @Rich_S You wh00ped that a$$ congrats


     



  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rich s said:
    Handicap updated and I am officially a 3.9!

    When I first got fit at club champion at the beginning of this thread, I had a Rogue Draw driver. Got fitted for a Accra FX 2.0 250M4. After seeing Dan that head became a draw monster so I switched to a TS3 but my shaft would not fit obviously. I played with a ton of shafts on my own and never found anything as nice as the Accra. I hated the sound, so this spring I switched to a Mizuno ST190 which is the best sounding driver ever created in the history of mankind. I played with the Atmos Blue for a while but I always felt like I was fighting the shaft. I learned my lesson from the TS3 so I ordered the Accra shaft from Club Champion. I am playing stock length (45") compared to 44.5" in the past. The shaft came in and the swing weight was crazy light (which I used to like). Made my own tungsten washer for the weight and got the SW where I wanted it. Took a few rounds but now this thing is dialed in and is a weapon.

    I had been struggling with my irons but that was due to folding my right arm too early in the backswing. Spent some time on the range last few days feeling like I was pushing my hands away from my chest and irons are back where I want them. My stock shot is a little draw and I am learning how that draw gets smaller as the clubs get shorter. Accounting for the loft has my proximity to the hole getting tighter when my irons are on. Basically my 5i has a 8 yd draw and PW a 1 yd draw.

    League match last night. Had to give the guy 3 strokes (9 hole league). We play stroke and Match play. Match was over by the 6th hole and I was even at that point and had him by 8 strokes. Ended up shooting 2 over and I am leading the league in points!

    After league I played some holes with Ella. She has her first real tournament this Friday. Its nine holes and one of her friends is playing too and they are in the same group. I am nervous and excited for her. Her biggest weak spot is course management. We talked about it a lot the last two days. Her miss is a bit right with driver but she has a slight two way miss with everything else. I talked about the window she has for every shot and how to play to your misses. Last night she really finally got it. Folks, she played the best by far I have ever seen. She hit 2 drives that were 180 yards and got to a good length par 4 in two for the first time. We talked about staying positive and in the end we would call this event successful if she stays positive and has fun. Her biggest worry is keeping track of her score lol. Even with a clicker, she forgets and has a hard time remembering how many strokes per hole she had. I will let you know how she does.

    One last thing. In my last online lesson with Dan he addressed my flat shoulder and hip turn. I watched the lesson again yesterday and caught him saying a left oblique crunch. I took that feel to the range yesterday. Some feels don't feel right. This one did. It definitely felt different but less effort to get the club back and also my left knee did not cave in as much. I hit the ball very well after a few swings. I will get a video tonight to make sure I am doing what I think I am doing but if it looks good I will continue to work on that on the range.

    ❤️


     



  • JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @rich s said:
    As the edited OP indicates, the bulk of my tournament season is coming. I also play in a tuesday league. Every Thursday I have a club tournament with the occasional "Major". Other than those, this is my schedule:
    July 27th- club championship (27 holes)
    August 1st- Club invitational (2 man team)
    August 4-5- Dietrich Open
    August 17-18- City Tournament
    August 24th- League championship
    Sept 15-16 State Partners event

    I also have a big $$ three man event in August we will probably sign up for.

    Right now I am happy with my play when I am able to warm up properly. Lots of storms lately so sometimes the ranges are closed. The biggest swing issue I have is a flip. My warm up deals with this by eliminating left wrist cup at the start of the backswing, then maintaining right wrist cup at the start of the downswing. I focus on this for about 10 balls with full 50% speed swings using a 54 wedge then I hit about 10 normal speed wedge shots to varying targets. From there I go PW, 7i, stinger hybrids and then a couple driver swings. This trains my wrists and when they are working properly I play well. From there I head to the putting green where I hit lag putts from varying distances to work on speed.

    As for practice, I am not doing as much range work as I used to. I will start playing one of the three nines at my home course and when I have a shot that I am not comfortable with, I hit several balls from that location to figure out the highest percentage play. That is my plan throughout the rest of this season and I practice almost every day I don't have a tournament. My biggest weakness is not being confident with between yardage shots as well as not making enough 6-10' putts. Those two things will be my main focus on practice days.

    I also plan or re-reading "how to master golfs mental game" so that is fresh in my mind. My mental game is vastly improved but I have still had a few scenario's that caught me off guard (super slow play and playing partner tantrums). To deal with this I plan on playing a few rounds when I force myself to wait 5-10 minutes before hitting each shot. Having three nines at my home course and the fact it does not get much play allows me to do this. I need to come up with a mental strategy that works for me during the slow play rounds.

    Some of these tournaments are not at my home course so I will get in a practice round or two and study 18 birdies app to come up with a good strategy.

    @rich s

    Maybe you shouldn't underrate that round of 80 with the 2 high handicappers, & cart partner who blew his fuse that took 5 hours as a poor mental round. That unlikely chip in and a tap in eagle was objectively pretty darn good golf. And your score wasn't very far away from where you wanted it to be in tournament conditions. Lots and lots of good there my friend.


     



  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Rich - at the very least this winter I’m expecting updates on your putter prototypes. Put it another way, you’re dead to me if you don’t document the putter fabrication

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Ain’t nobody wanna be dead to ebrasmus

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ebrasmus21 said:
    Rich - at the very least this winter I’m expecting updates on your putter prototypes. Put it another way, you’re dead to me if you don’t document the putter fabrication

    You got it bud. I think I would start a post about it in a different forum though.

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well this is big enough to share. Just shot a one under 71 in a tournament today. Shot even par on Thursday in a league tournament. Trending at a 2.5

  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Pretty soon it’ll be 0.0

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Broke 2...been playing good lately. Only a few more events this year. Did win a scramble. Really looking forward to working on the next part of my swing change over winter. I will send a current video to Dan to make sure I’m working on the right stuff.

  • Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

    @Rohlio said:
    "Nice to know I married a ****... Get to scratch or just quit already."

    I love this. Go big or go home.

    Also, congrats on reaching your goal Rich. Next is 1.4 by Spring? ;)

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Shades234 said:

    @Rohlio said:
    "Nice to know I married a ****... Get to scratch or just quit already."

    I love this. Go big or go home.

    Also, congrats on reaching your goal Rich. Next is 1.4 by Spring? ;)

    I'm 1.9 now and have 4 rounds to play with so it might happen by the next revision but whatever happens, happens. Very content with my game currently. I have a gap wedge ordered from Mizuno set to 51 degrees. My PW is 48 and I have a 54 vokey. My worst yardage is 115-118 and this will fit the bill nicely and save me a stroke occasionally. Had to dump the 15 degree mizuno hybrid, it is a monster out of the trees but I can use my other hybrids for that.
    Shot a 73 in a tournament yesterday. Here are the stats:
    10/14 fairways
    11/18 greens
    4 bogeys/3 birdies
    30 putts
    It was very windy with a lot of storms near by so the wind kept changing directions. I will let you all know if I break thru the 1's

  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,764 ClubWRX

    @rich s said:
    I will post this here too since I took the time to do it. There was a thread talking about stingers and since this is shot I use all the time and have talked about in this thread I thought it would be cool to post. I use my 17 degree hybrid for this shot. If I have a uphill fairway I use the first two shown in the video and if I am on a elevated box, I use the last two. 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total. This is a must have for me on this course and is one of my most accurate shots off the tee.

    Awesome stuff! The 3rd one looks like it barely gets off the ground!


    > See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

    Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ddetts said:

    @rich s said:
    I will post this here too since I took the time to do it. There was a thread talking about stingers and since this is shot I use all the time and have talked about in this thread I thought it would be cool to post. I use my 17 degree hybrid for this shot. If I have a uphill fairway I use the first two shown in the video and if I am on a elevated box, I use the last two. 150-180yd carry and 220-240 total. This is a must have for me on this course and is one of my most accurate shots off the tee.

    Awesome stuff! The 3rd one looks like it barely gets off the ground!

    Thanks :) the 4th was even lower. It’s a fun one into a strong wind off an elevated box. I spent so much time over winter learning how to do this on the SkyTrak. Has paid off this year for sure

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I thought I would share this as from reading this forum and watching others play competitive golf I see this as a huge issue among players. As I have mentioned before, the change in my mental game (thanks to the book Mastering Golf's mental game) has had a huge impact on my handicap dropping like it has. For those interested in the mental game, read on. I will recap last nights round and what my buddy (Gene) and myself could have done better mentally.

    Gene reminds me of myself before I read the book. In our round last night he was constantly telling me where he was in relation to par and how he would be happy with anything in the 70's. Constantly talking about mistakes he just made and upcoming "birdie holes".

    I on the other hand, had a chipping blunder on the 3rd hole which lead to a double. It was a big miss on a easy up and down and that threw me a little. Later in the round I missed the green after hitting a horrible 9i, which frustrated me a bit. As I walked up to the ball all I kept saying was "get this up and down". Again, I took a double.

    The fix is the same for pretty much every mental failure. There should only be one thing on our mind and that is the current shot. Pretend your sitting at home and a friend called you up and asked you to come to hole #6. You walk up and he asks you to hit this shot for him. You have no idea how the ball got to where it is or what the score is, you just have to hit this shot and go back home. This is how to approach 99% of all your shots imo. The only other thing would be to stay positive about the lie.

    Last night instead of just saying to myself, "get up and down", I should have thought about how I was going to execute the shot and leave it on the correct side of the hole. Getting up and down is the side effect of hitting a good shot, not the cause. On the 11th tee box, I talked score with my buddy. I noticed I was getting tight and had some tension as I had a decent round going. Then I just focused on the shot at hand. All I had to do was pull off that shot. The nerves and tension went away.

    To summarize:
    1- STAY POSITIVE no matter what
    2- Only focus on the current shot. Does not matter your score or how the ball got there. Between shots focus on something other then golf and do not let your mind think about score or what you need to do on future holes. I often say to myself "I will just add them up when its over". If you are with people, talk about non golf stuff between shots.

    Doing those two things has improved my game from a 5 to a 1.8 Just thought I would share.

  • hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

    @rich s said:
    There should only be one thing on our mind and that is the current shot. Pretend your sitting at home and a friend called you up and asked you to come to hole #6. You walk up and he asks you to hit this shot for him. You have no idea how the ball got to where it is or what the score is, you just have to hit this shot and go back home. This is how to approach 99% of all your shots imo. The only other thing would be to stay positive about the lie.

    this is an awesome visualization. was it an example from the book?

    any hunch or conviction i share today may very well be disproven or overturned tomorrow, and i welcome that. i'm simply here to learn with others, even if my enthusiasm for golf occasionally masquerades as knowledge. after all, the more i learn the less i know.

  • rich srich s Members Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @hoselpalooza said:

    @rich s said:
    There should only be one thing on our mind and that is the current shot. Pretend your sitting at home and a friend called you up and asked you to come to hole #6. You walk up and he asks you to hit this shot for him. You have no idea how the ball got to where it is or what the score is, you just have to hit this shot and go back home. This is how to approach 99% of all your shots imo. The only other thing would be to stay positive about the lie.

    this is an awesome visualization. was it an example from the book?

    No. I took the information and just kept applying it on the course and just learned mental tricks to keep me in the zone. This one I use towards the end when I got a very low round going. I don’t think any of the guys I play with would accuse me of being a weak finisher now. Can’t say enough about that book

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file