Rich S: The average guy's journey

Comments

• rich srich s Posts: 497 ✭✭

I subscribed to your YouTube channel and will be following along. Going to order my Super Speed set now!

Thanks! Glad to have you along. Hopefully the progress continues
    This is my current swing with a 5 iron (205 yards) and I just sent it off to Dan for an online lesson. Current shape starts right of target line and draws back to the line or even a bit past the line. Before going to see Dan a few months ago, I was OTT and my 5 iron was 180 yards with a slight fade. My current swing feels like 75% effort, is WAY easier on my back compared to the 100% back breaker I used to have and is just way more consistent.

I will work on the changes he suggests and post some progress videos in a few weeks! Sorry for the flickering lights image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

SuperSpeed week 2 results and both Ella and I hit our longest drives ever!! I am so proud of her. New driver for her on the way!

Got my lesson back from Dan and am very excited to start working on the next phase of my swing improvement. Flexible is the last word someone would use to describe me so I thought I would try some yoga. I knew I was in trouble when the pose of ease made my body sound like a bag of popcorn in the microwave...
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭
    rich s wrote:

Got my lesson back from Dan and am very excited to start working on the next phase of my swing improvement. Flexible is the last word someone would use to describe me so I thought I would try some yoga. I knew I was in trouble when the pose of ease made my body sound like a bag of popcorn in the microwave...

My wife taught yoga for 18 years... I would always try to explain to her that guys hate yoga because the poses described as rest poses are really hard for us (downdog etc) due to flexibility issues and the poses that women talk about as hard are a piece of cake (chaturanga etc.)

So you are in their uncomfortable and in pain and the teacher is basically mocking you with her language.

Have fun man it is certainly worth the work.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
    For those wondering if Superspeed Golf works here are the results after 2 weeks!
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    Do you see a correlation between the harder you swing the more off line it goes? Or is the above sample not a reflection of a more general pattern?
    edited Dec 5, 2018 #99
    Golfbeat wrote:

Do you see a correlation between the harder you swing the more off line it goes? Or is the above sample not a reflection of a more general pattern?

I don't feel like I am swinging any harder. From before my lesson with Dan I had a OTT move. The goal when I left there was to be able to start the ball right of target and then work it back to target. The plan was to go to the extreme and then dial it back. I feel like I am at the extreme now and have thoroughly grooved the change. I just sent in for an online lesson with Dan and so will start working on the next phase this Friday. I think the next phase will drastically help my consistency. I also have a draw bias head which is not helping lol. I plan on doing another fitting in February.
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy SoDakClubWRX Posts: 1,434 ClubWRX
    Just went through the whole thread, great improvement so far. Love to see the progress being made!

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    It is a shame (in a good way for you) but it's hard to separate the gains due to speed training versus technical inorvemnts. Keep up the good work.
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
    dg_1983 wrote:

It is a shame (in a good way for you) but it's hard to separate the gains due to speed training versus technical inorvemnts. Keep up the good work.

From august, the lesson with Dan had the biggest impact. From the last 2-1/2 weeks, the SSG has. I did not have skytrak from back then though. The combination of them both is the best of everything. I have a feeling that the next phase of the swing change will have a significant impact on both distance and consistency. If I can start hitting balls over 300 I promise to do a live youtube stream of me doing a 30 minute yoga session...
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭
    What did Dan have to say?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    Need to fix my takeaway. Less arms, better body rotation and then some better leg work. That’s the very short version :P I start working on it tomorrow! Very excited
  • GolfbeatGolfbeat Swing Lessee Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    Everything always seems to come back to the back swing! People seem to underestimate the importance but I think that you cannot spend too much time on getting it right, Did he give you the stick drill as well?
    Working on my lesson from Dan. Keeping my hands in front of me and the flat shoulder and hip turn. This picture was early on and I got better as the day progressed but if feels very strange. When I feel like a 3/4 backswing, it’s past parallel so Ella helped me know when the club was in the right position at the top. This one is going to take a while to get right. I know the pics are far from right. Red shirt was from before, blue was today.
  • melly9melly9 Members Posts: 29
    Whenever my ball striking goes south its always because I start turning too flat. This was the first big thing Dan had me work on. Felt so weird for so long feeling so steep on the backswing, but can't argue with the results. Great improvement! Have any new face-on pics?
    melly9 wrote:

Whenever my ball striking goes south its always because I start turning too flat. This was the first big thing Dan had me work on. Felt so weird for so long feeling so steep on the backswing, but can't argue with the results. Great improvement! Have any new face-on pics?

I will get some next week. I am going to practice swing all week at home so get this feeling down more. It feels so foreign to me now.
    Superspeed week three results. It was not a great week. I burned out doing way to many driver swings as I went driver shopping and ended up with a TS3. My speed was up slightly but not as much as I hoped. I am worn out though so I had pretty low expectations.

Hurt my back last weekend. I can't tell you how hard it is to take it easy. My mind don't work that way. Starting to feel a little better. Going to do an easy superspeed training tonight to try to loosen up a little and see how it goes. I hurt it by over rotating while playing this next swing change. I had Ella spot me after that and it was better but the damage was already done. Nothing serious, just a little strain but makes me feel like an old man lol.
    edited Jan 8, 2019 12:13pm #111
    holidays have been crazy busy but things are getting back to normal. I drove 7 hours south just to find some warm weather this last weekend. Ended up in Evansville and played Cambridge and Quails Crossing. This TS3 is a beast. Just insanely nice. I believe I missed one fairway in two rounds. Irons were very good and short game sucked. Course was soaked so I did not take it too personally. No question I am longer and able to flight the ball substantially better than at the end of the season last year. Nice to see the hard work on the skytrak paying off. I am going to focus almost solely on my wedge game moving forward. I am flying to Alabama end of Jan to play more golf. Looking forward to it.

Ella has had a crazy busy schedule so she has not practiced for 2 weeks. We will get back to it this weekend. She has been working out and she says she can definitely tell she is getting stronger. We will see if it shows up when we practice next.

Hope you all have a great holiday season.
    Current bag! My ball speed is up to 154mph so 9mph since I started. I have a F9 tour length on order! Heading to Alabama tomorrow to play golf this weekend!
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,614 ✭✭
    edited Jan 31, 2019 1:44pm #113
    great post, fun reading, love the passion

like Obee, I'm not in love with what you describe as your wedge yardage system
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    edited Jan 31, 2019 2:33pm #114
    cardoustie wrote:

great post, fun reading, love the passion

like Obee, I'm not in love with what you describe as your wedge yardage system

Thanks!! I have focused 90% of my time to 120 yards and in lately. Granted this is on the skytrak but I have gotten pretty good at calling a number and hitting it with a variety of clubs. I don't hit full shots in that range and that takes out the big thinned miss for me. I drove to Indiana (I'm from wisconsin) in early Jan and played great but the wedges were a weaker part but I feel like I made huge gains over the last several weeks. I will find out this weekend in Alabama. I am not a feel person, I have full, 3/4 and half shots and I have all the yardages from my 9i-60 degree using those shots. I will post how I did next week!
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,319 ✭✭
    What are you ball speed improvements looking like throughout your bag. 7 iron ball speed now vs before 5 iron, driver, ect.
    bradski wrote:

What are you ball speed improvements looking like throughout your bag. 7 iron ball speed now vs before 5 iron, driver, ect.

I only look at carry distances with my irons. When all this started, my 5i was 175-180 carry. Now its 200 stock. That was with my AP3's. I just got the JPX 919 tours in today with custom lofts so I could remove a club and add a mini driver. I will have to do testing tonight so I have my yardages before I head to Alabama. The biggest thing I think Super Speed has given me with my irons is the ability to swing at what feels like 50% and still hit them consistently farther. Much better consistency and way easier on my back.
  • Stodds12Stodds12 Members Posts: 55
    Any problems hitting wedges into your net? Looks like a nice portable setup
    Stodds12 wrote:

Not at all, I just move it a little closer. I also don't play any high trajectory shots with them into the net. Its a great set-up that is really quick both set-up and take down. The ball bounces back at me due to the concrete floor but I could always put something down to stop that. The ball gets dirty too.
  • Lincoln_ArcadiaLincoln_Arcadia We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right. Posts: 543
    For whatever reason, I’m not subscribed here. Really cool thread!

Like what I’m reading...
  • Stodds12Stodds12 Members Posts: 55
    rich s wrote:

Stodds12 wrote:

Not at all, I just move it a little closer. I also don't play any high trajectory shots with them into the net. Its a great set-up that is really quick both set-up and take down. The ball bounces back at me due to the concrete floor but I could always put something down to stop that. The ball gets dirty too.

Good to hear. I just had mine delivered and have yet to clear a space to use it. Seems like a pretty well built net though.
    Played RJT Grand National links, lake and par 3 this weekend. Wow what a place!! My driver distance was something I have never experienced. Much longer than before. Really got dialed in with the new 919 tours and shaped a few into tucked pins that made me smile. Probably hit 5 of the best shots of my life and almost had my first hole in one. I also tested the Snell black and wow what a ball. Two more months of snow to get into better shape. My wedge work had paid off since my last trip. Stuck many close. So cool to see the hard work pay off. Here are some pics

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file