Lowest Score and fewest greens?

FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 777 ✭✭
Had a really interesting round yesterday....

Hit 10 fairways. Had 25 Putts. Shot (two over) 72.

I only hit 6 greens all day. Absolutely awful with irons. Actually flat chunked a couple (back to the driving range).

Whats the lowest number of greens you've hit and still been around par??
GO DAWGS

Comments

• exgolfproexgolfpro Members Posts: 759 ✭✭
    Just Saturday, shot 71 (-1) with 8 greens.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,437 ✭✭
    It was 5 years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. My wife made go for a run with her the day prior.

She runs a lot, I don't run a lot. My body felt out of sync for three days.

My putting and short game was spot on on perfect - everything else was awful.

7 greens

7 fairways
  • DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,902 ClubWRX
    A couple of years ago I shot something like 68 with 20 putts. 8 putts on the back 9 with a hole out eagle on the par 4 17th. I think I only managed 5 or 6 GIR's on the day but chipped it quite well.
    Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 777 ✭✭
    Drudersh wrote:

A couple of years ago I shot something like 68 with 20 putts. 8 putts on the back 9 with a hole out eagle on the par 4 17th. I think I only managed 5 or 6 GIR's on the day but chipped it quite well.

5 or 6 greens and 20 putts? I think we may have a winner! haha
    GO DAWGS
  • FootWedge16FootWedge16 Posts: 251 ✭✭
    I once shot 36 (even par) on nine holes without hitting a green in regulation. Don't remember how many fairways I hit.
  • zebra2955zebra2955 Posts: 557 ✭✭
    Last week it seem like if I hit a FW I bogeyed the hole, missed the FW made par. I was starting to think I should miss the FW on purpose.
    Cobra F7

Callaway Epic

Cobra F6 fairway woods

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

What ever ball Costco has LOL
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,304 ✭✭
    Yesterday ... 7 GIR, 73. 37 on the front with 2 GIR.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • tommgtommg Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Like FootWedge, even for 9 1GIR. Total fluke, I’m a terrible chipper and a worse putter. Hands of stone.
  • foxy222foxy222 Posts: 81 ✭✭
    It’s amazing how you can score if your wedge game is on that day. Just like it’s amazing how high you can score when it’s off ha.
  • FlyingLaw1FlyingLaw1 Members Posts: 777 ✭✭
    foxy222 wrote:

It’s amazing how you can score if your wedge game is on that day. Just like it’s amazing how high you can score when it’s off ha.

Exactly! I've had back to back rounds with 25 putts... and NOT because I was draining 20 foot birdie putts... Easy to sink them when you chip up to 3 feet everytime...
    GO DAWGS
  • FootWedge16FootWedge16 Posts: 251 ✭✭
    tommg wrote:

Like FootWedge, even for 9 1GIR. Total fluke, I’m a terrible chipper and a worse putter. Hands of stone.

Ha. Same here. I proceeded to blow up in a qualifier I played right after that (this was way back in high school). Hit the ball the same but didn't save par on every hole.
  • BadmeatBadmeat Members Posts: 65
    Tied my PB about a month ago. Only hit 3 fairways and 7 GIR. +1 on the front, +6 on the back for a 78. Had 32 putts so my recovery/scrambling game was on point.
    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° - Aldila Tour Green X-65G
    Adams Speedline Super LS 15° 3w - Mitsu Fubuki AX65
    Nike VR-S Covert Tour 2.0 19° 3h - Mitsu Kuro Kage X-80g
    Mizuno JPX-919F 4-PW - KBS Tour X-130 (on order)
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52°, 56°, 60°
    Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa #1
  • QuasimotoQuasimoto Members Posts: 866 ✭✭
    Some of my best score have been when I miss greens all day and the pitch/chip game is working really well.

Pop a couple of those in and then 1 putt the rest.

So, on a 9 for example, I hit 2 greens (par 3's) and had 9 putts for 32. Birdie the par 3's and 2 chip in's and the rest were kick in pars.

Please don't ask what I shot on the back nine.
    Srixon 785 9.5 HC HZRDUS 6.0 / Cobra F9 9 HZRDUS Smoke
    Titleist TS3 13.5 75g S EvenFlo
    Taylormade GAPR Hi 3,4,5 70g KBS R
    Srixon z785 6-AW Nippon Tour 105 R
    Titleist SM7 54 & 58 Nippon Tour 105 S
    Odyssey Stroke Labs #7, Evenroll #5
    TM TP5, Titleist AVX
  • ljrad1995ljrad1995 Members Posts: 96
    Not exactly a great round, but i managed a +1 with 3 greens in regulation once. 2 chip ins, and all 3 greens resulted in birdies. 5 birdies and 6 bogeys for a not-very-smooth 73. Just had absolutely nothing tee to green but my putting was great
    TM M1 430cc 2016 9.5*. Hzrdus black 6.0 63g shaft.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3W (15*) and 5W (18*) Fuji pro green 72X.
    Srixon U65 2 iron, aerotech steelfiber 110X.
    Mizuno MP4 3-PW, Dynalite gold X100 shafts.
    Mizuno T7 50.07, 55.09 and 60.10 blue ion. Dynalite gold X100
    RIFE antigua Island series blade putter
    Titleist ProV1x ball

5W and 2 Iron sub based on course and wind conditions, 50* replaces them on short courses.
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,663 ClubWRX
    I've had some stupid rounds that are probably hard to believe for some.

My old home course (Canyon Crest CC in Riverside, CA) was 6,560, par 72, 72.0/132. Four reachable par 5's of 475 to 500 yards, and four "longish" par 3's (188 to 208). Greens were soft and gettable all summer, they they all have quite a bit of slope and pitch to them.

I had multiple rounds in the 60's hitting 8 or 9 greens where I would birdie five or six of the greens I hit in regulation and make a couple bogeys, but get up and down for par pretty much over and over.

Had at least one 66 hitting 8 greens that I remember, but usually when you are getting up and down over and over, you usually aren't missing greens by much when you miss them.

A lot of this "best of" stuff is really "course dependent," and Canyon Crest made for some very interesting stat lines for me back in the day....
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms Posts: 283 ✭✭
    edited Aug 22, 2018 #17
    74 with 4 GIRs

The 56* saved my game.

Chipped in for birdie twice. Had close to a dozen tap in Pars.

Golf is weird.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,842 ✭✭
    73 with 1 green hit.

3-putted that one green too. image/russian_roulette.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':russian_roulette:' />
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,157 ✭✭
    How about highest score with the most GIRs? 86 with 9 GIRS two weeks ago
  • Jc0Jc0 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,850 ✭✭
    Junior tournament way back

Day 1 14/18 greens, shot 80.

Day 2 5/18 greens, shot 75.
  • I don't recall. However, last summer I was asked to play with the young man who was #1 on the high school golf team. This youngster is at our club every day working on his short game. He often spends 2+ hours in our short game area which has 100-yards of fairway, two greenside bunkers, and a nicely sloped putting green. I've seen him hit balls on the range and he can bomb it. We teed off the first hole and decided to play nine holes from the tips (par 36 playing at 3,560 yards). He hit one fairway and only one green, but managed an amazing even par 36. He got it up and down from everywhere. From 100-yards in, he was exceptional. I asked him if this round was an anomaly. He said that missing so many greens and fairways was uncommon, but that he expects to get his ball up and down, every time. All of that practice breeds confidence, ha ha. He has scholarship offers from numerous schools but told me he plans to stay close to home (New England) which is a head scratcher, in my opinion. I have not seen him at the club this summer, but imagine he's getting ready for his freshman year of college this fall.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,298 ✭✭

I once shot 36 (even par) on nine holes without hitting a green in regulation. Don't remember how many fairways I hit.
    I was about to post the same. One of those memorable nines but have no idea what the 18 hole total was.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Posts: 746 ✭✭
    The only even 9 hole round I ever had (36), I hit one GIR and made the birdie putt. 10 putts in 9 holes. Only 2 putt was a bogey. One of those days where it felt like putting at a trash can lid with how they were dropping. Followed it up the next day with a smooth 46.
    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV 65 Stiff
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood (16.0 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (21.5 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - Stock Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Odyssey White Ice Rossie (34")
  • kwcsportskwcsports Members Posts: 747 ✭✭
    76 ( 4 over ) only hit 4 greens haha. Made everything on the greens. Good chipping as well.
    WITB
    Ping G10 Driver- Matrix White Tie
    Adams Tight Lies 2 3W- Kuro Kage
    Adams Tight Lies 2- 3H- Kuro Kage
    Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW- NS Pro 950GH
    Ping Eye 2 SW- XP105
    Nike VR Forged LW- XP105
    Taylormade Big Fontana
  • tips09tips09 Members Posts: 221 ✭✭
    zebra2955 wrote:

Last week it seem like if I hit a FW I bogeyed the hole, missed the FW made par. I was starting to think I should miss the FW on purpose.

Been there before. Sometimes I think Im just better at hitting out of the rough than I am off the short stuff.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9* Paderson VMT 870 S+
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Cobra Fly Z 18* Matrix Red Tie 6Q3/ Srixon Z565 3 Iron DGS300
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Nike VR Forged Raw 50* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,934 ✭✭
    Shot 52 on the front today. Back 9 today, hit 2 greens and shot 3 over. If the greens were 10% bigger, I would have hit 8 of them.
  • dgarlanddgarland So I got that going for me... which is nice. Members Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Shot -2 hitting 3 greens in a 9 hole league match earlier this year. Left several on the fringe though.
    Taylor Made M2 Driver
    Callaway X Hot Pro 3 Wood
    Callaway X Hot Pro 2H & 4H
    Callaway X-14 Pro 5-PW
    Callaway MD3 50 & 54
    Callaway PM Grind 58
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
  • golfpunk59golfpunk59 Members Posts: 424 ✭✭
    I have no idea what it is for 18 holes... I remember once playing 9 after work and not hitting any greens and shooting -2. Chipped in 2x and got up and down 7 times.
    Driver: 9* M3 440 Fuji Pro Tour Spec 63x
    3 Wood: 17* M1 HZRDUS Red 6.5 
    3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
    Irons: 4-PW 716 MB Tour Issue DG AMT X100 
    Wedges: SM6 52* F 58* D Dynamic Gold S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant
  • tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,304 ✭✭
    golfpunk59 wrote:

I have no idea what it is for 18 holes... I remember once playing 9 after work and not hitting any greens and shooting -2. Chipped in 2x and got up and down 7 times.

When you have this many good players gathered in one spot, I think eventually you see just about everything. This is a great 9 holes of golf.
    Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,224 ✭✭
    edited Sep 26, 2018 #30
    Couple of weeks ago I shot +7 (par 72, 71.7/141) with TWO greens in reg. Didn't hit a green until 16. Most of the misses were just a couple of feet off. No doubles, no birds. Actually drove it well, just had the pulls with the irons.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 656 ✭✭
    I'm the absolute master of the 85 with two GIRs. For the better part of 2016 and 2017, post-knee surgery, my irons sucked!!!! I literally could not hit a green to save my life, unless I was wedging in from < 120 yards. My typical hole is decent drive to either fairway or a spot where I can still get to the green...hit an iron to somewhere within 30 yards of green but not on...and chip up to save par or miss the putt for bogey. I save par more often than not, and then throw in some missed fairways etc etc for the 85.

In one round in particular, I shot an 82 with some guys I had never played with. During one stretch, I made 10 straight pars and hit only one green. I was getting up and down from everywhere. After one particularly crazy up and down, the guys with me just had enough and had to ask me what was the deal with my short game and how I could get up and down from everywhere. Nevermind that I doubled and tripled a couple of holes earlier in the round looking like a complete moron.

There is a bit of a "fundamental" formula in golf, though, where your score correlates inversely with # of GIRs (meaning the more GIRs, the lower you score), and that is the biggest factor in predicting your score besides # of putts. So believe me, I'd love to improve my GIRs, and have started to lately with improved iron play, but there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1