CP Women's Open Aug 23-26

Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
edited Aug 23, 2018 in LPGA/Ladies golf talk #1
  • Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $2,250,000
  • Location: Wascana Country Club, Regina, Saskatchewan
  • Par: 71 72
  • Yardage: 6675
  • History: This is the 18th year for the event, but the Canadian Women's Open has been played since 1973. In 2017, Sung Hyun Park, who also captured the U.S. Women’s Open, fired a 7-under-par 64 on Sunday – the round of the day – to win by two shots over Mirim Lee.


Coverage:
  • Aug 23: Golf Channel 10:30 am - 1:30 pm (EDT)
  • Aug 24: Golf Channel 10:30 am - 1:30 pm (EDT)
  • Aug 25: Golf Channel 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm (EDT)
  • Aug 26: Golf Channel 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm (EDT)
Post edited by Unknown User on
«1345

Comments

  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2018 #2
    We get a decent amount of coverage this week. The winds are forecast to be light on Thursday, but fairly strong on Friday through Sunday with gusts up to 24 mph.



    My pick this week is Lydia. She's won the event 3 times in the past 6 years, and is currently playing well. Ariya, the winner in 2016, should also contend. Sung Hyun won it last year, but tends to play poorly in windy conditions.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    The winner will be a long hitter and a good wind player. I'll pick Minjee Lee for the win again this week, I'd love to take Brooke but way to much pressure on her plus demands on time and all other things involved in playing at home.
  • URStillAwayURStillAway 79 is ten better than 80 Members Posts: 937 ✭✭
    The stars have finally aligned and I might be able to attend an LPGA tournament



    Looking forward to seeing the players in person



    Planning on going Thursday. 3.5 hour drive.
    Driver: Callaway BB Fusion 10.5 Reg
    FW's: BB Fusion 5w
    Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
    Irons: Ping G400 Reg Graphite
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
    Handicap 8
    Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others
  • amdeppamdepp Members Posts: 4
    It says Par 72 on the official website.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Nice, Ellie Szeryk is in the field, she has a chance to be a pretty good one IMO. Interesting though 2 US/Canada duo citizens chose Canadian status to join a country with a National junior Golf program (team), it probably helped both Ellie and Maddie in their development rather being left to their own devices trying to make it in the US, they are from Texas after all, it's gotta cost a bit to achieve this though.
  • WestTexWestTex Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    I'm pulling for Amy Yang. Do I think she'll win? I don't know enough about her windy game to determine, but her play last week was great. Add the fact that she took an even less favorable drop than was given to her and then doubled showed class and honesty. That's what is at the core of the game. I won't debate if what she did was right vs wrong, but she jumped about ten spots on my radar for that. If she got par, she would have won outright. The Karma Police owe her! image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' />



    Either way, this will be an interesting weekend and wishing all them the best.
  • broadbandzbroadbandz Members Posts: 24
    Well Im picking Namdalla again. Just so more people get upset about a "robot" dominating the LPGA. I really dont understand it though. Sung Hyun has multiple tattoos which is very rare on tour. She is far from a robot. She has a lot of quirks and personality.
  • WestTexWestTex Members Posts: 114 ✭✭
    broadbandz wrote:


    Well Im picking Namdalla again. Just so more people get upset about a "robot" dominating the LPGA. I really dont understand it though. Sung Hyun has multiple tattoos which is very rare on tour. She is far from a robot. She has a lot of quirks and personality.




    Absolutely agree, I like her. I just don't know about her ability to play in windy conditions. I know her caddie has spoken at length about her sense of humor and wit that we as viewers don't get to see or hear. That's why we need more player focused media, on and off course.
  • rockford35rockford35 Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    We just got back from the pro am. The rough is extremely penal - really thick and hard to get out of. Saw a few ladies struggle to get second shots close after wayward tee shots. Driving will be key this weekend (not that it isn't other weeks, but you know what I mean.)
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    rockford35 wrote:


    We just got back from the pro am. The rough is extremely penal - really thick and hard to get out of. Saw a few ladies struggle to get second shots close after wayward tee shots. Driving will be key this weekend (not that it isn't other weeks, but you know what I mean.)




    Well, so much for my Lydia pick. Her driving accuracy is way down since she last won in 2015. Short and in the rough is not going to cut it.



    Pornanong for the win?
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    rockford35 wrote:


    We just got back from the pro am. The rough is extremely penal - really thick and hard to get out of. Saw a few ladies struggle to get second shots close after wayward tee shots. Driving will be key this weekend (not that it isn't other weeks, but you know what I mean.)




    Good!! Thankfully my country's home open wants to put on a challenge for the players. Sure high winds and lush rough is gonna massacre 3/4 of the field but I'm of the belief that you shouldn't make it easy to not embarrass half the field but have a birdiefest for the top players. I believe you challenge the top players if the back end of the points list can't keep up then they should find another profession. Harsh I know but again I believe with course setup you challenge the best in the world to get better and push the sport to get better and NOT mark on a bell curve so everyone gets a better grade. Short hitters are gonna find it rough there are multiple 430+ yard holes that play directly into the wind. Go get it girls, you'll earn this one
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 909 ✭✭
    Going with Jin Young, always hopeful for So Yeon. I`d like to see Anna N. get something going, she`s had an ok year, but maybe a little sub par for her.

    Hoping Lexi plays well too.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    Sigh. Alison +3 after 3 holes. Her game has completely imploded.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:


    Sigh. Alison +3 after 3 holes. Her game has completely imploded.


    Well technically after 2 holes, the Par on 3 is like an Eagle though.
  • rockford35rockford35 Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Just tuned in on TV. The course is showing great so far.



    I wish they would show pictures of it after this past winter - we had a three month stretch where it was covered in ice and every course suffered miserably. The Wascana so much so. The course superintendent and Golf Canada have worked wonders getting it into shape, I was pleasantly surprised. And, that hard work is paying dividends as it looks great both in person and on Golf Channel.



    I've yet to see any ladies have to play out of the thick rough yet, but it's only a matter of time...
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    rockford35 wrote:


    Just tuned in on TV. The course is showing great so far.



    I wish they would show pictures of it after this past winter - we had a three month stretch where it was covered in ice and every course suffered miserably. The Wascana so much so. The course superintendent and Golf Canada have worked wonders getting it into shape, I was pleasantly surprised. And, that hard work is paying dividends as it looks great both in person and on Golf Channel.






    wascana-country-club.jpg
  • rockford35rockford35 Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    There you go. Thanks for that. Pretty much ever course around the city and just north of us suffered the same fate. The only difference is, those courses aren't hosting the Canadian Open. Lol.



    We have had a great summer in terms of heat, but they put in oodles of turf and sod to make this happen. I bet the superintendent shaved some years off his life since April. Hats off.



    I wish you guys could see the green on 12. Hog's back is an understatement. It's ridiculous to play normally, let alone tournament mown. Almost unfair. The play is 3 shots.
  • bravedavebravedave Professional Golf Fan Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    This course is beautiful. So good when the lpga is in Canada. They just showed a clip of Lydia beating Stacy Lewis in Vancouver from a few years back. Kbong was there. Canada and the lpga bring a smile to bravedave's face. See you all next year in Canada, I'm going!
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #20
    The LPGA's leaderboard is messed up, showing Ryann in the lead with a score of -7 after 4 holes. Huh? She's actually -3 after four holes.



    Yow. Jessica birdies 6 of her first nine holes. I thought the course was going to play tough?



    Mina playing well again.
  • rockford35rockford35 Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    There is zero wind right now, which is odd. When the wind goes up, so will the scores. Wolf in sheep's clothing at the moment.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    rockford35 wrote:


    There is zero wind right now, which is odd. When the wind goes up, so will the scores. Wolf in sheep's clothing at the moment.


    And the greens are pretty hard and fast any wind at all and it looks like it will be a nightmare
  • ItIsJackItIsJack Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Brooke 5 under on her last 6 holes! It is sad that this won’t be played on regular cable for Canadians. It would be a huge moment for Canadian golf if she wins.
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    Nice to have Terry back in the booth.

  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    C'mon, LPGA. Publish the scrambling stats. Jerry mentioned that Lydia is 4th in scrambling, and last week Karen mentioned the ranking for one of the players, so clearly the data is available.

  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    Whoa, was that Dean holding the flag on the 14th while Yani was putting?
  • 4waymiss4waymiss Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:


    Whoa, was that Dean holding the flag on the 14th while Yani was putting?




    And looks like Colin Cann is back on IGC bag.

  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 19,989 ✭✭
    4waymiss wrote:

    Argonne69 wrote:


    Whoa, was that Dean holding the flag on the 14th while Yani was putting?




    And looks like Colin Cann is back on IGC bag.




    Yes, Colin has been on her bag since the KPMG. Her previous caddie got a call to loop in the big tour.
  • StoochStooch Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    I'm liking today's results, I got a couple tournament match-up bets and they started out nicely. Minjee over SHP and Nasa over Ingee. But the wind come tomorrow so we'll see who is still standing at the end of that lol
  • 4waymiss4waymiss Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:

    4waymiss wrote:

    Argonne69 wrote:


    Whoa, was that Dean holding the flag on the 14th while Yani was putting?




    And looks like Colin Cann is back on IGC bag.




    Yes, Colin has been on her bag since the KPMG. Her previous caddie got a call to loop in the big tour.




    image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I guess that's how long they haven't shown her on TV. Poor Colin, got kicked around after 10 years with Paula. But I bet he would have made even less had he stayed with her.
  • 4waymiss4waymiss Posts: 1,013 ✭✭
    Argonne69 wrote:


    C'mon, LPGA. Publish the scrambling stats. Jerry mentioned that Lydia is 4th in scrambling, and last week Karen mentioned the ranking for one of the players, so clearly the data is available.




    Because their summer intern has just returned to school.



    Hey Mikey, my offer still stands, just one round with my future wife. Throw in IGC and might just be enough to convince Argonne to put his ball striking stats up as well.
«1345
Sign In or Register to comment.