I500 Questions and reviews...

1468910

Comments

  • specimaniaspecimania Members Posts: 576 ✭✭
    It's normal wear to ping so I doubt they would do anything. In two years you can have them redone though which is a bonus. How's the chatter and such after 20 rounds.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    4 rounds on mine and practice for 15 Days. They look worse , much worse than the year old set of Miura small blades they replaced. The finish shines up on every strike. Everytime you hit anything , ground or ball it leaves shiny spots.



    That being said. The only reason that irks me is if I don’t keep them I know they are worth around half of retail. Afterall I’ve heard about ping , it’s pretty ironic that my first set is one of the ones that don’t last 20 years. Lol.



    As for playing them. I don’t mind the wear. Tools not jewels. So we shall see.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    What does “ in 2 years you can have them redone “ mean ?



    Serious question as a non ping literate guy.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • AndrewkpkAndrewkpk ClubWRX Posts: 128 ✭✭


    What does “ in 2 years you can have them redone “ mean ?



    Serious question as a non ping literate guy.


    You can send your clubs back to Ping and have them refinished for a very reasonable fee. You just call and set it up, then send them in following their instructions.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    Andrewkpk wrote:



    What does " in 2 years you can have them redone " mean ?



    Serious question as a non ping literate guy.


    You can send your clubs back to Ping and have them refinished for a very reasonable fee. You just call and set it up, then send them in following their instructions.






    awesome ! i guess i assumed that would only work on all cast single piece clubs ... nice info !
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • russian7russian7 Members Posts: 2,518 ✭✭
    Wow that sucks, guess I better sell mine quick since I ho around a lot, I've only hit mine twice and they have marks all over. Great set of irons though from what I've seen so far.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    Maybe a little harsh review by me up top on condition. I just finished practice and gave them a good cleaning. Its all face marks to be fair. And I guess a product of the blasted scoring lines area which I like. The face wears like a black finish wedge. Sort of a splash effect. Not a big deal to me.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    edited Oct 10, 2018 #159
    I have about 15 rounds on this set, plus a lot of range time. I can see part of the weld line on some of them if I look closely. This has zero effect on performance or overall appearance. These are without question the best hitting and best looking irons I have ever played. I have been playing Ping irons for just about 30 years and have complete confidence that if I have a problem Ping will take care of me, as they always have. Anybody who has a legitimate problem with a Ping club is going to be taken care of, in my experience.



    My previous set was the iBlades. For me the performance of these irons is better in every way. I would recommend them without hesitation to any low handicap senior like me who still has a good game but is losing some distance and spin, and hates the look of game improvement irons. I have never gone from one set of clubs to the next and noticed such a big difference in performance as I have experienced with these. They make me feel young again, grin.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    I'm still really liking my i500s but I don't understand Ping's PR regarding the club and its foibles. I asked two of their reps (one who is their long-time LPGA Tour rep) and another tenured Customer Service guy whether the clubs have any kind of hot melt or goo in the cavity of this club. Both of them said, "nope, they're hollow...nothing in there". Today, I finally got a CS rep to admit that they use some goo to fine tune the swing-weighting. I (we) already knew this but can't understand the smokescreen from them. They also pretend to have no idea whatsoever about the wear issues with the HydroPearl 2.0, as if they haven't received a single complaint or comment about it. Also, though they've taken care of everyone with the cracked face welds, I suspect that it's a little more than a "bad batch of heads". I have no reason to believe that Ping will do anything differently than they always have, and that is to provide fantastic customer support and stand behind these issues, but this stuff concerns me. Why can't they just be honest about it? Legal issues? Ping didn't become, by far, the most trusted OEM by behaving this way.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭


    I'm still really liking my i500s but I don't understand Ping's PR regarding the club and its foibles. I asked two of their reps (one who is their long-time LPGA Tour rep) and another tenured Customer Service guy whether the clubs have any kind of hot melt or goo in the cavity of this club. Both of them said, "nope, they're hollow...nothing in there". Today, I finally got a CS rep to admit that they use some goo to fine tune the swing-weighting. I (we) already knew this but can't understand the smokescreen from them. They also pretend to have no idea whatsoever about the wear issues with the HydroPearl 2.0, as if they haven't received a single complaint or comment about it. Also, though they've taken care of everyone with the cracked face welds, I suspect that it's a little more than a "bad batch of heads". I have no reason to believe that Ping will do anything differently than they always have, and that is to provide fantastic customer support and stand behind these issues, but this stuff concerns me. Why can't they just be honest about it? Legal issues? Ping didn't become, by far, the most trusted OEM by behaving this way.






    Yea... I opened mine up just to see.. .. hotmelt in the heel and toe of each iron . The thing thats crazy to me is that you have to send them back to have hotmelt added. If i do it myself warranty is voided. Sooo lead tape it is... silly , as if hotmelt can possibly hurt anything. It stays flexible , and isnt hot enough to even discolor metal , much less move it .



    I hate to gripe , as im like you . I know PIng is top tier customer service..But 2 weeks round trip without clubs is an eternity ...Zero chance i wouldnt buy another set if i had to wait that long... I may as well sell as to send them back to Ping HQ
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,077 ✭✭
    Look, I know the CSRs can only say certain things. I split my G15 iron shafts at the neck. 3 of them.



    They offered to fix, and they did, for free. It still made me look elsewhere for irons that next time. It turns out that the TFC graphite shafts were garbage. From a quality perspective, awful. So anyhow coming back to Ping, I had other customer experiences with other companies. I'll leave it at the fact that I believe Ping is still best in the business.



    I didn't say perfect...
  • kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    Had my 1st hole-in-one yesterday with the 5 iron. Woo hoo!!!



    My feeling on these hasn't changed a bit.



    The finish could be better and the sound could be softer, but these irons flat out perform.
  • AndrewkpkAndrewkpk ClubWRX Posts: 128 ✭✭
    So Ping called me today and we spoke about the weld issues. They asked if I was interested in the i210 as a replacement because as the CS person said “this will happen again because it’s a known weakness” Yikes!. I declined and asked if they could just replace them and I would return them to where I bought them. The CS tech offered to call the business and setup a full refund for me which was very nice of them. I’ll have to pop in tomorrow to take care of the refund. You know...I’m OK with this. I bought a set of the Mizuno 919 forged (they’re amazing) as a backup set to play while the issues with the i500 were being worked out. In the end, I really wanted to keep the i500’s but I’m just not confident how they will hold up in the long run and getting a set of the i210 would be redundant I feel. But hey.....CS at Ping was very easy to work with and they were very gracious to offer me a refund.
  • specimaniaspecimania Members Posts: 576 ✭✭
    Well that's no good... I am expecting mine soon. If this is a know issue why aren't they pulling them from stock? They will lose money. I am gonna email cs and see what they say.
  • kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭
    They're not pulling them from stock b/c, in my opinion, this is a non issue. This is one set that look fine to me from the pics, that Ping graciously accepted and refunded the buyer. And of course they did as they're a top notch company that bends over backwards to satisfy their clientele.



    I think everyone needs to breath a bit and relax until another set/sets show not only visual weld lines, but actual failures. We still haven't seen a true mechanical failure yet.
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 542 ✭✭
    Andrewkpk wrote:


    So Ping called me today and we spoke about the weld issues. They asked if I was interested in the i210 as a replacement because as the CS person said “this will happen again because it’s a known weakness” Yikes!. I declined and asked if they could just replace them and I would return them to where I bought them. The CS tech offered to call the business and setup a full refund for me which was very nice of them. I’ll have to pop in tomorrow to take care of the refund. You know...I’m OK with this. I bought a set of the Mizuno 919 forged (they’re amazing) as a backup set to play while the issues with the i500 were being worked out. In the end, I really wanted to keep the i500’s but I’m just not confident how they will hold up in the long run and getting a set of the i210 would be redundant I feel. But hey.....CS at Ping was very easy to work with and they were very gracious to offer me a refund.




    Yikes, that sucks. Still waiting for mine to arrive from the reshafting. Good to hear that they are offering a full refund, otherwise it would be an expensive set of i210's if they only offered a swap.
  • specimaniaspecimania Members Posts: 576 ✭✭
    I think it's an issue. Already had one set returned. On the bright side I'll have a new set of irons every month from them! I hope this issue is corrected
  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    kcsf wrote:


    They're not pulling them from stock b/c, in my opinion, this is a non issue. This is one set that look fine to me from the pics, that Ping graciously accepted and refunded the buyer. And of course they did as they're a top notch company that bends over backwards to satisfy their clientele.



    I think everyone needs to breath a bit and relax until another set/sets show not only visual weld lines, but actual failures. We still haven't seen a true mechanical failure yet.




    I agree. Ping had an unhappy customer and took care of the situation.



    I am seeing no evidence of weld failures on my clubs. I have seen no evidence from any posted pictures that there is any sort of weld failure.



    What I am seeing on a couple of my clubs is the faint outline of the weld joint, just like the posted photos. I don’t know what this means, but I can guess. The insert is somewhat resilient and is designed to flex and produce a trampoline effect. The cast part of the head is much stiffer and will not flex much. Hence there will be a bending torque at the weld joint, all around the periphery of the insert, and this is no doubt well understood and tested, so I don’t expect any mechanical failure. OTOH, the finish/coating is hard, which means that it is somewhat brittle and subject to fatigue, and it may be that the finish will eventually crack. Or just stay as is. Who can say, at this point?



    If cracks develop in the finish, that is a real problem for me and I will want the club replaced, and Ping will certainly do that. If it doesn’t crack it is a complete non-issue because these lines are almost invisible. If it is a systemic problem, Ping will have to find a permanent solution. In the absolute worst case, if there were to be cracks in the finish and there was no permanent solution I think that, as fussy as I am about my clubs, I would likely choose to keep them until a more advanced design comes along, rather than get my money back, as these clubs hit so much better than any other club I have ever played, including my iBlades, that I would have a hard time parting with them.
  • Rippin6GearsRippin6Gears Members Posts: 87
    I’m assuming you haven’t seen some of the worse failures like so, and how many other thousands of people that aren’t on the forums that we don’t know about issues.



  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 273 ✭✭


    I’m assuming you haven’t seen some of the worse failures like so, and how many other thousands of people that aren’t on the forums that we don’t know about issues.




    Now THAT'S a problem!



    Do you know if that is a crack in the coating? Or the weld?
  • kcsfkcsf Members Posts: 1,024 ✭✭


    I'm assuming you haven't seen some of the worse failures like so, and how many other thousands of people that aren't on the forums that we don't know about issues.




    Hyperbolic much?



    While that club is certainly an issue, I doubt Ping has sold a thousand sets, let alone multiple thousands. I guess we should all forgo buying TaylorMade/Ping/Callaway drivers because occasionally the face cracks? (I've had 3 replaced from 3 different manufacturers BTW).



    If this becomes a more common issue, then feel free to stand on your soapbox and yell. In the meantime, I'll be on the course enjoying my set. (I hate how much I sound like a fanboy, but this bad mouthing is getting ridiculous)
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    kcsf wrote:



    I'm assuming you haven't seen some of the worse failures like so, and how many other thousands of people that aren't on the forums that we don't know about issues.




    Hyperbolic much?



    While that club is certainly an issue, I doubt Ping has sold a thousand sets, let alone multiple thousands. I guess we should all forgo buying TaylorMade/Ping/Callaway drivers because occasionally the face cracks? (I've had 3 replaced from 3 different manufacturers BTW).



    If this becomes a more common issue, then feel free to stand on your soapbox and yell. In the meantime, I'll be on the course enjoying my set. (I hate how much I sound like a fanboy, but this bad mouthing is getting ridiculous)




    YEA. I agree. And not to jump on anyone. But I pound an iron pretty hard and have worn the center out of several iron sets. Mine don’t even show any hint of a line. So it’s certainly not a “ omg the horror , widespread issues “ deal. Not yet. And I spit out taylormade 3 wood faces pretty regular. I’m with the other guy who said so what. If they want to Guve me new irons every 90 Days. I’m good with that too.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • torbilltorbill Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    I agree, too. Which is why I posted my recent comment about how well these irons perform. Some of the criticisms I am reading are things that apply to any club I’ve ever played and some of them just seem off-base relative to my personal experience.



    I don’t find any problem with the finish. Wipe them down and they look like new again. Has there ever been a club that didn’t get scratches on the sole or get shined up in the hitting area or get chatter marks from banging around in the bag? I play these clubs, I don’t mount them over the fireplace mantel and admire them.



    I don’t find any significant dispersion, or inconsistency in distance or spin, on good hits. Or that they make strange noises. Or that they feel harsh and not soft. These are not game improvement clubs. You have to hit them reasonably well, and if you don’t they are going to tell you so. (And yet they are actually much more forgiving than any true blade that I ever remember playing.) Maybe this is part of the problem, maybe some higher handicappers are thinking that this is a game improvement club because it is somewhat forgiving. It is not a game improvement club. Ping is not marketing this as a game improvement club. Anybody who is asking themselves questions like, “is this club more or less forgiving than ****?” should probably not even be considering this club. Bad contact is going to be noticed more on this club than, say, the G400, and there is going to be a greater loss of distance and direction.



    If club faces are routinely getting cracked it is an issue, no question. That has not happened to me and if and when it does I will take it up with Ping and get it resolved. Ping doesn’t want cracked clubfaces and they have always have taken good care of me when I have cracked a face or had other problems. (Well, almost. There was that one time when I broke a shaft by performing a modified Tommy Bolt move, and they asked me what had happened, and I just smiled and told them that golf is a very difficult game at times. They charged me $40 on that one. That’s the only time that Ping has ever charge me a nickel for any club problem.)



    I will say it again. I have played many clubs over the years. This is the best looking, best performing iron I have ever had, and it isn’t even close. If you are a good player and hate the look of offset, thick top lines, large heads, thick soles, weird slots and appendages, etc. yet want something that is easier to hit than a true muscle back blade you should go hit this club and see what you think. If you are losing some distance and spin due to age, as I have been, there is even more reason to go hit them, because they will make you feel a little younger.

  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK Members Posts: 1,956


    I’m assuming you haven’t seen some of the worse failures like so, and how many other thousands of people that aren’t on the forums that we don’t know about issues.




    My i25 did this and delamated as well.



    It's just something I'm prepared to deal with..... I'm betting Ping has 2nd thoughts on overseas manufacturing
    G400 Max 9* Tour 65
    G400 14.5* Attas 4u
    G400h 19* Tour 85
    G410 Crossover 23* Tour 85
    i500 6-UW{pwr spec} Recoil 110
    Glide Forged 54* Steelfiber i110
    Stealth 2.0 58* Steelfiber i110
    Vault 2.0 B60 Stealth WRX 390g
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX
    kcsf wrote:


    They're not pulling them from stock b/c, in my opinion, this is a non issue. This is one set that look fine to me from the pics, that Ping graciously accepted and refunded the buyer. And of course they did as they're a top notch company that bends over backwards to satisfy their clientele.



    I think everyone needs to breath a bit and relax until another set/sets show not only visual weld lines, but actual failures. We still haven't seen a true mechanical failure yet.




    I'm in agreement with most of what you say about Ping as a company. There have been, however, photos on other threads of welds that have failed completely. So, there actually have been mechanical failures. They're too new for us to have seen many more than a few. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'm quite happy with my i500's and I'm just hoping that they hold up.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭
    torbill wrote:


    I agree, too. Which is why I posted my recent comment about how well these irons perform. Some of the criticisms I am reading are things that apply to any club I’ve ever played and some of them just seem off-base relative to my personal experience.



    I don’t find any problem with the finish. Wipe them down and they look like new again. Has there ever been a club that didn’t get scratches on the sole or get shined up in the hitting area or get chatter marks from banging around in the bag? I play these clubs, I don’t mount them over the fireplace mantel and admire them.



    I don’t find any significant dispersion, or inconsistency in distance or spin, on good hits. Or that they make strange noises. Or that they feel harsh and not soft. These are not game improvement clubs. You have to hit them reasonably well, and if you don’t they are going to tell you so. (And yet they are actually much more forgiving than any true blade that I ever remember playing.) Maybe this is part of the problem, maybe some higher handicappers are thinking that this is a game improvement club because it is somewhat forgiving. It is not a game improvement club. Ping is not marketing this as a game improvement club. Anybody who is asking themselves questions like, “is this club more or less forgiving than ****?” should probably not even be considering this club. Bad contact is going to be noticed more on this club than, say, the G400, and there is going to be a greater loss of distance and direction.



    If club faces are routinely getting cracked it is an issue, no question. That has not happened to me and if and when it does I will take it up with Ping and get it resolved. Ping doesn’t want cracked clubfaces and they have always have taken good care of me when I have cracked a face or had other problems. (Well, almost. There was that one time when I broke a shaft by performing a modified Tommy Bolt move, and they asked me what had happened, and I just smiled and told them that golf is a very difficult game at times. They charged me $40 on that one. That’s the only time that Ping has ever charge me a nickel for any club problem.)



    I will say it again. I have played many clubs over the years. This is the best looking, best performing iron I have ever had, and it isn’t even close. If you are a good player and hate the look of offset, thick top lines, large heads, thick soles, weird slots and appendages, etc. yet want something that is easier to hit than a true muscle back blade you should go hit this club and see what you think. If you are losing some distance and spin due to age, as I have been, there is even more reason to go hit them, because they will make you feel a little younger.




    Very good post. Especially the forgiveness part. They do require a good strike. These are not the GI 790. They don’t have the crazy gapping issues the 790s etc have. Hit them on the toe and they will clank. Center strike is soft. And I’m coming from Miura.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • JDaxJDax Members Posts: 84
    I’m stocked to hear about some of the QC issues with these, very surprising from Ping who considers themselves an Engineering Company first...
  • matchavezmatchavez Members Posts: 4,077 ✭✭
    JDax wrote:


    I’m stocked to hear about some of the QC issues with these, very surprising from Ping who considers themselves an Engineering Company first...




    Engineering and manufacturing can often be very different. They'll get it worked out.
  • JDaxJDax Members Posts: 84
    matchavez wrote:
    JDax wrote:


    I’m stocked to hear about some of the QC issues with these, very surprising from Ping who considers themselves an Engineering Company first...




    Engineering and manufacturing can often be very different. They'll get it worked out.




    Touché ... I’ve heard that Ping’s QC is the best in the industry, I’m sure they will get it figured out.
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 542 ✭✭
    I got my irons back from Ping reshafted into the Dynamic Gold 120 which is what I originally ordered. I weighed the 5 iron and it had lost 13 grams so I definitely had been sent original Dynamic Golds before,



    13 grams doesn’t sound like much but on the range I found the DG 120 a lot easier to swing and more user friendly than the DG originals. I started off thinning a lot of shots which produces a horrible feeling, horrible looking line drive. I soon adjusted and then saw the same high fade from my fitting, These things feel soft when struck well.



    I moved onto my 6 iron and hit the first two shots nicely. The third shot felt a little weird and I looked up only to see the club head flying about 40 yards down range, so now I have to get that sorted. The way the iron flew could have been dangerous on the course because it flew forwards and to the left, where somebody could conceivably have been standing,
Sign In or Register to comment.