Titleist 2019 ProV1 Prototype

Comments

• texcromtexcrom ClubWRX Posts: 3,483 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 7, 2018 #62
    I’m a member of Team Titleist, with a profile that is completely Titleist product.

I have a complete Titleist bag, including the bag itself. (see signature)

I paid $499 plus for a new TS3 driver yesterday.

I then decided to buy the new TS3 fairway wood along with the driver ($299 plus tax) while I was there.

I’ve played Titleist balls since my first round with my Dad in 1968 as a kid.

And Titleist doesn’t send me a couple of sleeves of new balls to try?

Ouch!
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff 
    Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron Project X PXi 6.0
    Titleist 718 AP2 5 - 9 irons AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-08F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-10S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-10S
    Odyssey O-works 2 Ball Red
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Additional - Titleist TS3 16.5 degree fairway wood, Titleist Vokey 60.12D wedge, Titleist 905R 10.5 degree YS6+ Stiff, Titleist 718 AP2 4 iron and pitching wedge, Taylormade R7 425 TP, Taylormade R7 TP Titanium 3 wood, Scotty Cameron Select Newport, Ping Anser 35 inch, Cleveland Designed By blade putter.

GO VOLS!
  • cbbaroncbbaron Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭
    My wife did a photo shoot for Titleist the other day she got two dozen Prov1s a pair of shoes a shirt a glove and a skirt.
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- GW. Mizuno Hot Metal Pro Series Nippon Modus 120
    Sw Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    LW Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select Fastback 2
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner MarsMembers Posts: 913 ✭✭
    I feel your pain, want some protos !
  • scotty_2987scotty_2987 Members Posts: 218 ✭✭
    Any more reviews?
  • AlbatrosssAlbatrosss Members Posts: 44
    Tried the black Proto 2019 (ProV1) today around the practice green. Compared it to the 2017 ProV1.

-The Proto 2019 feels soft but has a bit more ProV1x click to it than the 2017(forth layer?).

-Half wedge shots and chipping with wedges spun more than the previous 2017 ProV1.

Overall very positive so far from my side. Will probably try it out on the course in the weekend.
  • hack2489hack2489 Members Posts: 214
    Simp wrote:

Well I just read this whole thread. I’m not sure why. It will be a very chilly day in Hades before I pay $4 bucks for a golf ball.

....but I might if I got a nice pack of socks with a sleeve.. ; )

I'm with you. A tour pro might pick up the differences but 99% of the people on this page can't. I'll stick to my $20 a dozen urethane balls and shoot a handful over par and laugh at the Titleist whores chunking $4 balls into the drink. To each their own though!

As a higher handicap player, I totally understand this thinking ... I did the same. If you're losing a lot off the tee or miss hit fairway shots and losing balls it's costly.

But.

As I had explained to me, us hackers could use a lower spinning ball to help keep our errant shots in play.

Even though the premium balls are 'more spin' it's due to construction and is for wedges and Greenside control... Somehow, they seem to spin less off the tee and longer irons for me, so those horrid sliced are now more baby fades or light draws (getting lessons, fitted clubs and improving my swing has helped too).

But, big thing i found was 'when' I'm in a position to shoot into a green (becoming more frequent as GIR) the premium balls just stick, where the cheaper balls would roll through... That alone saved shots during a round.

Then, as I've worked on Greenside saves, especially chipping it close, the extra spin and "grab" has helped get it closer more often rather than having to use a chip n long run / roll I can now chip it up closer using more flight time to take out the nuances of the green.

So, even as a higher handicap player, you might be surprised at how a premium ball can help you score better. Yes, you will need to change your approach to certain shots, but, it is much more fun scoring better!
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭
    Finally a bit of a review on the 2019 Proto.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • jasonfish11jasonfish11 Members Posts: 429 ✭✭

All the top balls are in the 44-47 range. Not much difference.

There are balls that perform just as well for $20. So if you define "top balls" based on price, then yes you are right. If you define "top balls" based on performance, then you are very mistaken.
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,170 ✭✭

There are balls that perform just as well for $20. So if you define "top balls" based on price, then yes you are right. If you define "top balls" based on performance, then you are very mistaken.

Name them.
  • hack2489hack2489 Members Posts: 214

Name them.

image/stop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':stop:' />

Let me guess ...

Cut

Snell

Ksig

image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />
  • balladmballadm Augusta, GAMembers Posts: 684 ✭✭
    Ive consistently bought Srixon zstar xvs for $20 per dz. Great ball! Low spin and durable.
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,090 ClubWRX
    B330
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Finally a bit of a review on the 2019 Proto.

That guy has cleanest and neatest studio I've ever seen on youtube! Check out that blue lightings!! Lol
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #75
    hack2489 wrote:

Name them.

Let me guess ...

Cut

Snell

Ksig

I haven't tried any of those. I buy MG C4's which is a 3 piece urethane ball that sells for $20/dozen. Ok you caught me, after shipping I get 2 dozen for $45.

I have a skytraks at home and see no quantifiable difference between them and pro V1's. Also on the golf course I was not able to see a noticeable difference. Some might sell you on the fact that these off brands result in you being more likely to get a crap ball because of production defects being higher than those of Titleist. I have been playing these balls for 3-4 years now and have never had one where the performance was bad. I have seen 1 or 2 balls where the ink was smudged but that is it.

Oh and you don't get that cool cardboard "sleeve" so if that's important to you, the by all means please continue paying $50/dozen for the same ball. I can't wait to watch how much more amazing at golf you are because of that cardboard sleeve.

If you see a difference, more power to you. You are probably the sub 1% of golfers who can tell a difference between MG C4 and another 3 piece urethane ball. Well, either that or you are delusional and blinded by marketing, either way you do you.
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #76
    Speaking of, man it would be fun to see a "blind" test of golf balls. Have some completely blank 3 piece urethane balls tested by players and see which balls they liked the best.

I'm 99.9% sure Titleist wouldn't have the balls (pun intended) to participate.
  • kcd38kcd38 Members Posts: 314 ✭✭
    Of those who have hit the 2019 proto, any comparison to the tour b xs?
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, Tensei Ck Blue 70 Stiff
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-PW - Mizuno MP 18 MMC 4 iron, Mizuno MP 18 SC 5-PW, KBS C Taper 130x
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52 F, 56 F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,600 ✭✭

hack2489 wrote:

Name them.

Let me guess ...

Cut

Snell

Ksig

I haven't tried any of those. I buy MG C4's which is a 3 piece urethane ball that sells for $20/dozen. Ok you caught me, after shipping I get 2 dozen for $45.

I have a skytraks at home and see no quantifiable difference between them and pro V1's. Also on the golf course I was not able to see a noticeable difference. Some might sell you on the fact that these off brands result in you being more likely to get a crap ball because of production defects being higher than those of Titleist. I have been playing these balls for 3-4 years now and have never had one where the performance was bad. I have seen 1 or 2 balls where the ink was smudged but that is it.

Oh and you don't get that cool cardboard "sleeve" so if that's important to you, the by all means please continue paying $50/dozen for the same ball. I can't wait to watch how much more amazing at golf you are because of that cardboard sleeve.

If you see a difference, more power to you. You are probably the sub 1% of golfers who can tell a difference between MG C4 and another 3 piece urethane ball. Well, either that or you are delusional and blinded by marketing, either way you do you.

What's an "MG C4" ? image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,135 ✭✭
    Lemme guess...this ball goes further (on a robot swing), is softer and stops better.......
  • DowntimeDowntime Members Posts: 98 ✭✭
    The sleeve I received is still sitting on the counter in the kitchen. May try to chip and putt with them some this afternoon or one day this week.
    TS2 - 10.5 - Evenflow White 6.0
    TS2 - 15 - Evenflow White 6.0
    816 H1 - 19 - Diamana White - Stiff
    JPX 919F - 4-P - KBS CTaper Lite - Stiff
    Vokey - 52-56-60
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    ProV1
    nsxguy wrote:

https://www.mggolf.com/golf-balls/#C4
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,600 ✭✭

nsxguy wrote:

Terrific, thanks. Where can I find them ? Or it is mail order only ?

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-4 48, 52, DGS300
    Ping Glide Forged 56* DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3, 64 DGS300

Evnroll 1.2 (Today - always subject to change LOL)
    Titleist AVX
  • WoodHeadsWoodHeads Members Posts: 74
    Do these need to be returned to the vendor after testing, or do you get to keep them? I think the PROTO stamp is so cool. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    nsxguy wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

Terrific, thanks. Where can I find them ? Or it is mail order only ?

Online ordering only (to my knowledge). I typically get them in less than a week from ordering.

Their customer service is great too. I also buy their gloves. The 1st glove I had didn't last more than a month. They sent me 2 replacements for free after a 3 min conversation on the phone, really simple and easy. Both of those lasted over 6 months (hitting balls 3-4 days a week). That was 2-3 years ago and ever since then I have not had a problem with their gloves. I have since gotten a skytrak and I hit over 1,000 balls a week. My gloves typically last 3-4 months before they tear apart. I typically switch them out before then anyways but when I get lazy about ordering replacements I can get a ton of usage out of them. Not bad for $5.50 each.

hack2489 wrote:

Name them.

Let me guess ...

Cut

Snell

Ksig

Calm down. I just asked you to name them!

I'm genuinely interested in which ones you think are similar whereas you seem to be aggressively making a point that I may already agree with. You haven't bothered to check.

So you can actually only name one, and haven't tried any of the others? You said "balls" so I thought there might be multiple? Please let me know as I am always keen to save money where I can.

Calm down. I just asked you to name them!

I'm genuinely interested in which ones you think are similar whereas you seem to be aggressively making a point that I may already agree with. You haven't bothered to check.

So you can actually only name one, and haven't tried any of the others? You said "balls" so I thought there might be multiple? Please let me know as I am always keen to save money where I can.

My genuine apologies. It's hard for me to take anything on a message board at face value.

Even though I did quote you and I realize it seems like I was directing my comment at you, when typing it I wasn't. It was directed in general at the vast majority of ProV1 and ProV1x shills that seem to be out there. If I got one of them to try something different then it was worth it. The reason golf balls are so expensive (in my mind) is due to the fact Titleist has such a stranglehold on the "premium" ball market. So I like the concept of chipping away at that stranglehold.
  • Cottonseed.Cottonseed. Members Posts: 175 ✭✭
    If you're paying full price for Pro V1s and you're over a 5 handicap...I feel bad for you.... and your retirement possibilities.

www.ebay.com people.
    Can't have a Titleist ball thread without the obligatory whinge about cost it seems...Moving on...

I am looking forward to next years V1 and V1x.

Between the V1, V1x and AVX I think Titleist has the broadest range of performance across their 'premium' lines. I wonder how AVX will influence the next generation of V1 and V1x?
  • Paul065Paul065 Members Posts: 191
    Got a sleeve of 3 proto 1Vx from one of my close friends after buying a TS3 driver from his shop. Been testing the last few days vs the ‘17 1Vx.

Not much difference if I’m being perfectly honest. They definitely spin more and stop slightly quicker from the 7 iron up to wedges. Off the tee almost identical, same flight, same distance. I’ve played the x since the 2013 edition and I think the ‘17 version is the best. I have played my best ever golf the past 18 months with that ball. Even after all the who ha about the V and X ‘switching’ in 17.

Probably going to stock up on the ‘17 when they come down in price tbh.
    Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero. 9 degree. Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 S

Mizuno CLK 2. 16 degree. Speeder Evolution HB 75 S

Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 3 iron Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW, Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw: 50 (12) F, 54 (08) M, 58 (12) D

Ping Sedona

Titleist Pro V1x (2017)
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,654 ✭✭

Can't have a Titleist ball thread without the obligatory whinge about cost it seems...Moving on...

I am looking forward to next years V1 and V1x.

Between the V1, V1x and AVX I think Titleist has the broadest range of performance across their 'premium' lines. I wonder how AVX will influence the next generation of V1 and V1x?

If this review is any indication, the new Pro V1 seems to be lower spin with the long irons. Not as much as the AVX but certainly lower than the 2017 Pro V1.

Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    bash all you want, I know I'm buying when they run buy 3 get 1 with free personalization promo in April.