Will you pay to watch Tiger v Phil?

BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭
Thought we'd have a little fun with a simple poll.

Comments

• PigemsPigems Members Posts: 10,882 ✭✭
    Maybe if they played at night with Glow balls.
    910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
    910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
    910h 20* Hybrid - S400
    712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
    SM5 51*, 55*- S300
    TVD 59* M - S300
    Studio Select NP2
  • John KreeseJohn Kreese Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Really lame that it's PPV. Only way I'd watch would be at a bar.
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 432 ClubWRX
    I will not be watching... maybe 10-15 years ago... but not now
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: Engage 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • Petunia SprinklePetunia Sprinkle Future King of France Members Posts: 5,355 ✭✭
    Isn’t this just going to be like the Chuck/Wandy fight when it finally happened?
  • egr2teupegr2teup Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
    I'm not spending a dime to watch this. Heck, between cable and PGA Tour Live, I spend enough money to watch golf as it is.
  • sfigginssfiggins Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    Paying to watch two guys on the downside of their careers doesn’t make sense for me. As for the banter, I find both Phil and Tiger to be boring.
  • JohnnyCashForeverJohnnyCashForever Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    WFAN's Mike Francesa brought up an interesting issue with the format. Since it's a two-man televised live event, what are they going to show between shots? I guess it could work, but there's going to be a lot of down time that they will have to fill.
  • golfnhackgolfnhack Members Posts: 2,521 ✭✭
    Will be the most boring PPV ever. They hit their shots, then you have to wait 5 minutes for them to hit their next shot, and this goes on for 4 hours. Since it is only the 2 of them, how will they fill the dead air?
    "Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones
  • QuickFeetQuickFeet Members Posts: 1,606 ✭✭
    What's the point of this match? Money going to charity?
    TaylorMade M2 10.5o / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
    Nike Vr Pro :td. 5W / UST VTS 7R Silver
    Callaway Apex 3/20o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Callaway Apex 4/23o / UST Recoil 760 ES F3
    Nike Covert Forged 4-PW / UST Recoil 95 F3
    Nike Engage 58 Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Maltby 54 M Series + Wedge / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Vr Forged 50 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
    Nike Origin B2-01
    Nike RZN Tour Black
  • warrio17warrio17 Members Posts: 369 ✭✭
    Absolutely.
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 9* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 7X[/font]
    SYalW6s.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Epic SubZero 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue label 8X[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Preferred UDI 2 Iron 18* UST Mamiya Prototype Utility 110F5[/font]
    taylormade_small_logo_blk.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] RescueDual TP 2 Hybrid 18* True Temper Project X HB6 (interchanges with the UDI)[/font]
    iDRdfVu.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]JPX 900 Forged 4-GW 1* weak KBS C-Taper X 130g[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 54* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    R9admPL.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Vokey Design V Grind SM6 58* KBS 2.0 HiRev X[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Circle T 009M Chromatic Bronze Flojet Neck 35" A041795 (Gamer)[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Tour Newport Slant Neck Crown "O"[/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png [font=courier new,courier,monospace]Futura X5 Chromatic Bronze Slant Neck Custom [/font]
    ZSoHrb9.png[font=courier new,courier,monospace] Chromatic Blue 1995 1st Run Coronado[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]i[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]nstagram: @westongarner[/font]
  • BoogieThumperBoogieThumper Sweet Jonez Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭
    I cant wait to give them my money. It's Thanksgiving, my uncle who introduced me to the game will be over. I'm sure we're going to be hammered. Sounds like a great time to me.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]COBRA F7
    PING G-25 4-Wood
    PING G-25 Hybrid
    NIKE Covert 5-AW
    NIKE Engage Toe Sweep 54*/Dual Sole 58*
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 4
    SNELL MTB [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]RED[/font]

*Make Par Not War*
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    I'm imagining that it will be on in the middle of the night here in the UK, so the chances of actually staying up to watch it are non-existent and there is no point watching it on replay so likely not.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • shanxshanx Members Posts: 684 ✭✭
    PPV gives me one more reason NOT to watch.
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,894 ClubWRX
    As much as I love watching Tiger play, no...wouldn't pay a dime for this. Like several have said, maybe 10 years ago, but not now. With the form of both players, it just seems like Tiger may wipe the floor with Phil anyway.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,141 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #16
    "How much would you pay for the Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson pay-per-view?

Jack Nicklaus Productions staged what is believed to be the first and perhaps only such event, in April 1988, when the Golden Bear teamed up with Lee Trevino in a match against Greg Norman and Ian Woosnam in what was dubbed the Desert Scramble. The winners took home $100,000 each while the losers got $25,000 apiece, and viewers were promised innovations such as miked-up players and, somewhat oddly, in-match golf lessons from Nicklaus himself.

It cost $12.95 to watch (the equivalent to about $30 today) and was a complete bomb: The Los Angeles Times reported at the time that only 50,000 homes ponied up to watch it, short of the 65,000 needed to break even."

https://www.washingt...m=.34f826fbed34

Good poll. I was wondering about who will pay to see this and how much. I would pay 10 bucks, not a penny more. I guess some people might get together with friends and split the cost. But I have no friends so that's not an option for me ; )

Now, if this was back pre-2009, I'd pay to see that.
  • moko jumbymoko jumby Members Posts: 16
    Of course I'll watch and all the ppl having a fit over $30 or whatever need to get themselves checked out
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,047 ✭✭
    Nope, especially if it's filled with fake trash talk like we're seeing already.
  • johnsegjohnseg Members Posts: 297 ✭✭
    I have never bought a PPV event and don't ever see myself buying one. My decision doesn't have anything to do with the price. I don't think I would buy it even if it was $5. I just don't find it all that compelling.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #20
    moko jumby wrote:

Of course I'll watch and all the ppl having a fit over $30 or whatever need to get themselves checked out

Or maybe people don't think it's worth the time and effort to sign up in addition to not worth the money.

Some people won't watch simply because they don't want the hassle. If on regular TV they'd get a MUCH larger audience simply from people channel surfing and stopping on it.
  • ShwanoShwano Members Posts: 5
    Nope! Big Tiger and Phil fan but don’t see the point in watching two guys battle it out with no title on the line. The $9m is nice for them but doesn’t make it any more interesting for me.
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Members Posts: 1,036 ✭✭
    I'm not gonna pay to see swings that I see on tour week in and week out for nothing. We watch the Ryder Cup for free and it's 1000x more entertaining. I'd watch the match if it was on network TV, but never PPV.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • sfigginssfiggins Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    In round comments on WRX will be more interesting than the contrived banter. Especially if Fergie is online.
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    No, because I don’t think you should have to pay to see Tiger get annihilated by King Phil.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,141 ✭✭
    moko jumby wrote:

Would you have a fit if you ordered a nice little prix fixe lunch and

it sucked?

I mean it was only $50 but the salad dressing had too much lemon and the lamb ragu was gamey..

It's not a question of the price but what you are getting. I appreciate if people think it's worth it of course, but I'm I'll wait til it's on regular cable.
  • MilkyButterCutsMilkyButterCuts Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #26
    C'mon guys..... Don't get why everyone is bitching so hard. I'm sure half of you paid to watch the multiple (completely fabricated) Mayweather fights and didn't complain once. Have your buddy's come over and chip in on it or something.

****, I'm sure most of you will end up buying it anyway! Keep telling yourself you wont though. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,109 ✭✭
    sfiggins wrote:

In round comments on WRX will be more interesting than the contrived banter. Especially if Fergie is online.

LOL could be the best and most true post of the day!
  • egr2teupegr2teup Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

"How much would you pay for the Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson pay-per-view?

Jack Nicklaus Productions staged what is believed to be the first and perhaps only such event, in April 1988, when the Golden Bear teamed up with Lee Trevino in a match against Greg Norman and Ian Woosnam in what was dubbed the Desert Scramble. The winners took home $100,000 each while the losers got $25,000 apiece, and viewers were promised innovations such as miked-up players and, somewhat oddly, in-match golf lessons from Nicklaus himself.

It cost $12.95 to watch (the equivalent to about $30 today) and was a complete bomb: The Los Angeles Times reported at the time that only 50,000 homes ponied up to watch it, short of the 65,000 needed to break even."

https://www.washingt...m=.34f826fbed34

Good poll. I was wondering about who will pay to see this and how much. I would pay 10 bucks, not a penny more. I guess some people might get together with friends and split the cost. But I have no friends so that's not an option for me ; )

Now, if this was back pre-2009, I'd pay to see that.

Great find. Thanks for posting.
  • golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,643 ✭✭
    We need Kaymar to chime in.. he's been way too quiet lately.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 841 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #30
    I'd only watch if it were their own money, or $500,000/hole skins match cash up front.
    TC Rogue SZ 8.8* Pro Orange 70TX/ ACCRA TZ5 75 M5
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    J-DAY Spider
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,700 ✭✭
    DFS PFD wrote:

I'd only watch if it were their own money, or $500,000/hole skins match cash up front.

Agreed. Put up ten mil of your own cash, winner take all.