What Wilson Staff wedge is worth a buttload?

dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 955 ✭✭
Please post the year of the Wilson Staff PW that fetches a ton used.
Callaway Hyper X 9* what's the point?

Taylormade (original) RBZ 15* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

Orlimar 23* 7W

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter

Comments

• HoganApexBladesHoganApexBlades ...Be the ball, Be the ball Danny... Members Posts: 2,020 ✭✭
    Supposedly the '58 Wilson Staff DYNA-Powered PW & SW are the "Holy Grails" of wedges.
    CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS
  • Dr. BlockDr. Block Members Posts: 610 ✭✭
    edited Aug 23, 2018 #3
    I’ve been playing with a refurbished set of 76 Staff blades. I really like the pitch and sand. The sand wedge is excellent out of the sand. You can’t quite lay it open and make a full cut, but it’s sure-out otherwise.

I don’t think any of them are worth a “butt-load” though.
  • weeicemonweeicemon Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    1957, 1958, 1959, with the '58 being the most valuable.
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,985 ClubWRX
    Dcopp-

Gene Sarazen's Original Wilson Sand Wedge. Period.

Do you have a Wilson Staff Dynapower wedge which might be worth a lot? What condition is it in?

The 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge was long considered the best within the 3 year period of 1957, 1958, and 1959 in which the Wilson wedges were considered the gold standard among Utility clubs.

A number of players had Wilson Staff Wedges in their bags. Some notably weren't even Wilson Staffers.

One notable shot- Tom Watson's chip in on the 71st hole at the 1982 US Open at Pebble Beach. (beat Jack Nicklaus.)

Though Watson had a Ram Staff bag, the club used was a 1960 W/S Dynapower Sand Wedge that supposedly is on display at the Greenbrier Resort.

Watson said on a Televised Tour Event that got the wedge from David Graham, the 1981 US Open Champion.

As for another reason why, please check the viral photo of Arnold Palmer working on his 1958 Wilson Staff Wedge.

Texsport has posted photos of his Wilson Staff Dynapowers- Original and remake.

Here's a photo of a 1957 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge.

• dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 955 ✭✭
    Well, mine is a '64

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • oldschoolrockeroldschoolrocker Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    The one in my bag, at least to me...
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 650 ✭✭
    I'm currently using a vintage Dynapowered SW with the arrow and the Fluid Feel markings.

Couldn't say what year it was issued.

Also have a JP II 55, and a Mendralla Staff III 60.

Values ? no idea.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    edited Aug 25, 2018 #9
    Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

Thanks in advance.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
    588 Cleveland is close

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    edited Aug 25, 2018 #11
    The '57- '60 + many custom DynaPower SW produced later have about 56-58* of loft, a lot of bounce, significant leading edge progression, a full heel, and high swing weights.

They were designed to hit explosion shots.

Today's wedges are practically all multi-purpose clubs - ground frequently to pick shots clean around the greens.

I remember following Arnold Palmer around during a private country club exhibition during the 1960s. He had no lob wedge - only a Wilson DynaPowered SW in his bag. While never in the sand, he hit 2 or 3 explosion type shots from the rough around the greens with it. Got it up and down every time and shot 67.

I used and collected those wedges for many years. I have about 10 of them made for Tour players - also a couple of other brands that are copies of DynaPowers made for Tour players.

With the advent of custom grind lob wedges, I don't know why everyone doesn't carry a DynaPower style SW for bunkers and rough shots around the greens.

Texsport
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
    I may bag this '64. The sand at my course is laughable at best and my 52 and 58 have NOT done well in it. This '64 is really head heavy. I like it

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭
    p3ga wrote:

Was it the grind or the steel used in these wedges that elevated them into rare air?

Are they still relevant today & does any manufacturer offer something similar or a dead-nuts copy?

Interested as I've been playing various iterations of the Wilson FG Tour wedges for many years.

Thanks in advance.
    Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.
  • MudguardMudguard Members Posts: 1,264 ✭✭
    BIG STU wrote:

Yep the older Cleveland 588s are a direct copy---- The 588 even had a meaning the 56* was 58 as in 1958 Staff and the other 8 ment 8* of bounce thus the designation 588.

Ah I always thought the 588 meant the month and year it was designed, May 1988. 900, September 2000.
    p3-

Texsport has more than common knowledge about the 1958 Wilson Staff Dynapower Sand Wedge.

There was a photo of Arnold Palmer working on a Wilson Dynapower Sand Wedge which made the rounds.

Sadly, Wilson Golf closed public access to their Custom Department records in 2014.

By the way, if you ever find a 1958 Walter Hagen "Ultra-Powered" Sand Wedge (or 11 iron)...

You have the Staff Dyna-Powered Sand Wedge's very rare cousin.

Good Luck.
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2018 #16
    I never heard of much love for the '62-'63 Turfrider pitching wedge which I found surprising given the Staff members allegedly behind it's design. (Snead, Boros, Middlecoff etc)
    Vintage various.
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Thanks folks, without hesitation I can say that I actually learned something today.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    Mudguard wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

Ah I always thought the 588 meant the month and year it was designed, May 1988. 900, September 2000.

Closer. 5th generaton wedge, debuted in 1988
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,269 ✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2018 #19
    Mudguard wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

That was my understanding as well, though I'd also heard it said the "5" was a project number within that year.

Might be interesting to check some info on when the 485's were introduced. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

PALS-SSA wrote:

Mudguard wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

Closer. 5th generaton wedge, debuted in 1988

I think I'd like to change my first answer LOL
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
    stixman wrote:

I never heard of much love for the '62-'63 Turfrider pitching wedge which I found surprising given the Staff members allegedly behind it's design. (Snead, Boros, Middlecoff etc)

Stix-

You can include one Mickey Wright to your list.

Her set of Wilson Staffs with the Turfrider Sole (and Bullseye putter) is displayed at the USGA Museum Golf House in NJ.
  • birly-shirlybirly-shirly Members Posts: 3,247 ✭✭
    Texsport wrote:

The '57- '60 + many custom DynaPower SW produced later have about 56-58* of loft, a lot of bounce, significant leading edge progression, a full heel, and high swing weights.

Today's wedges are practically all multi-purpose clubs - ground frequently to pick shots clean around the greens.

I remember following Arnold Palmer around during a private country club exhibition during the 1960s. He had no lob wedge - only a Wilson DynaPowered SW in his bag. While never in the sand, he hit 2 or 3 explosion type shots from the rough around the greens with it. Got it up and down every time and shot 67.

I used and collected those wedges for many years. I have about 10 of them made for Tour players - also a couple of other brands that are copies of DynaPowers made for Tour players.

With the advent of custom grind lob wedges, I don't know why everyone doesn't carry a DynaPower style SW for bunkers and rough shots around the greens.

Texsport

I think this is a great point. So many of the absolutely classic sand wedges, from the first R90s through to even the Eye 2, were not THAT versatile. I still love the old Hogan Specials, but I'm finding it a benefit to carry an early, low bounce, Vokey 60 alongside it. Before the manufacturers went grind crazy, you saw the same pattern in lots of lines - the first Vokeys, Cleveland 588s and Rams, of a sand wedge with lots of bounce and a lobber with much less.
  • xgolfxxgolfx Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    Today’s wedges are very different than the persimmon era. Many tour players carried only one wedge (Lew Worsham,)some played prior to Sarazen inventing the sand iron and could adapt niblick technique ,Four Woods,nine irons,and a putter was the norm. I think Trevino won a tournament with 13 clubs in his bag. I recall Hogan switching a 1 iron for a 7 iron usin the logic “There are no seven iron shots on this golf course”

Bounce and loft combinations are sold today. In prior times, the home pro could adjust a club. Today, that is not the norm

CHARLEY PENNA
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    rex235 wrote:

stixman wrote:

Stix-

You can include one Mickey Wright to your list.

Her set of Wilson Staffs with the Turfrider Sole (and Bullseye putter) is displayed at the USGA Museum Golf House in NJ.

Thanks, Rex. I knew she was a big fan of the Turfriders but I didn't know she was involved with the design like the others.

Personally, I think the Turfrider pitching wedge is a great club but I never heard other than the Dyna Powered clubs you referenced as being classic/ timeless wedge masterpieces.
    Vintage various.
  • TexsportTexsport Members Posts: 2,340 ✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2018 #24
    Major champions who played a DynaPowered SW would include - Palmer, Trevino, T. Watson, Floyd, Irwin, and Crenshaw, among others .

Ben Crenshaw played different brands of irons but frequently had a DynaPower copy in his bag. Dave Wood once told me, "Ben was all about the DynaPower SW, and he hit pitches with it also, with the club soled on the toe and the heel off the ground."

Texsport
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
    Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
    Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
    Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
    MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
    Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
    Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
    Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
    The Cure CX2 putter
  • twidenertwidener TWidener Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    I have a '58 DynaPower SW that I got from an estate sale. It is in extraordinary condition for a sand wedge and it's age. Grooves are good. The sole is good and still has paint fill. Just a little wear on the face. Whoever had it probably used it only for sand shots and from the looks of it they weren't in the sand that much. I think I payed almost $7.00 dollars for it. I take it out to the range and it a few balls with it. Even with range balls this wedge feels great and is very versatile. I'm going to put it in my bag sometime and play it for a round.
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,277 ✭✭
    p3ga wrote:

Thanks folks, without hesitation I can say that I actually learned something today.
    Trust me you will. There is a wealth of knowledge on here> I have been here a few moons and still learn something every time I fire this thing up
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    the newer TM wedges are very definitely copies of the WS wedges, right down to the drill thru shaft red plug. Unfortunately, I don't think they are forged.
    I'll get pics of mine up sooner or later

Orlimar 23* 7W

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
    widener-

Any photos?

Is yours the original '58 Dynapower SW, or the '58 Dynapower SW remake?

Crenshaw was once quoted as saying the '58 Dynapower remake "felt just as good as the Original."

One golf publication had a photo of Ben using his from a bunker.
  • sbboudreausbboudreau FORE RIGHT! Members Posts: 733
    Texsport wrote:

Texsport
    Could you post some pictures of the 57, 58 & 59? Also give a brief explanation of their differences. I’d like to keep my eye open and try to find one or two of them.
    (8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
    1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
    Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
    79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
    Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
    98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
    Go To Set
    07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
    2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway
    edited Aug 28, 2018 #31
    boudreau-

"Could you post some pictures of the 57.....,"

...Really?

Check Post #5 of this thread.

Original '58s Dynapowers have parallel frost lines perpendicular to the scoring lines, with both the "Fluid Feel" and the arrow ^ stamps on the hosel.

'58 Walter Hagen Ultra-Powered irons and wedges also have the parallel frost lines. (Good Luck finding a set, or the Wedges)

You can get a '58 Staff Dynapower SW remake relatively easily, but...RH Only.

What adds to the mystique of these clubs is they were used by those Staff Professionals as Utility clubs- not part of the set.

Sarazen, Snead, Hagen, Middlecoff, Boros, Casper, Palmer, Berg, Wright..Staff Dynapowers were their personal wedges.

Post edited by Unknown User on