Taylormade P790 Gen2?

Comments

• jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members Posts: 3,002 ✭✭
    dearth12 wrote:

If this information is correct.....I can't wait

Me either...then I can get the original P790s less than half original retail! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

- Josh
  • iyi4iyianiyi4iyian Members Posts: 793 ✭✭

iyi4iyian wrote:

figures my P790's will be here Tuesday

regardless you won't be disappointed!

I got them they look great i was a little worried about the size coming from Iblades but it is not that big of an issue very similar in size to my old TM 2014 CB

I went from the 2014 CB to a 770/790 Combo...love em
    Driver: Taylormade M5 - 10.5º - Fuji Black Tour Spec 6s
    Fairway: Taylormade M6 - 15º - Fuji Black Tour Spec 7s
    Hybrid: Taylormade P790 - 19º - Tour AD-95S
    Irons: Taylormade P790 4-6 & P770 7-PW - DGTI S400
    Wedges: Taylormade Milled Grind - 50º & 55º and Hi-Toe 60º DGTI S400
    Putter: Taylormade Spider X Copper - 34 inches 
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,519 ✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2018 #64
    KMeloney wrote:

noodle3872 wrote:

jorgegm022 wrote:

I was told that Taylormade will stop making the P770 & P750. These two will be replaced by the P760

While the P750 and P770 are great clubs the P790 has over shadowed them. If TM can combine the distance benefits of the 790 with the playability of the 750/770 they'll have a winner.

My local Club Champion fitter said that the 790s have been the best-selling iron head there since they debuted. Interesting factoid.

The CC fitter in my area poo poos the P790’s. He is a pro Cally guy...
  • KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    I really like how 0311 performs, really long and boring towering flight and straight. 0311T is more like ordinary clubs but with a very soft feel and massive forgiveness. Played 790 too and dont think it is any close to 0311.
  • NiasNias Members Posts: 28
    jorgegm022 wrote:

Man, I just sold my irons and I don't know if I can wait until November for these P760s! Might have to go with the P790/P770 Combo before TM shuts the door on 770 custom orders.

That door is already shut buddy, its been shut since July according to three different fitters that I tried to make a custom order from.
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭
    Kevinnz wrote:

I really like how 0311 performs, really long and boring towering flight and straight. 0311T is more like ordinary clubs but with a very soft feel and massive forgiveness. Played 790 too and dont think it is any close to 0311.

But you have to get the T model to have similar offset. The regular / players model of 0311 has way more offset than the 790 which is a total deal breaker for a lot of people
  • HuskerDevil_1HuskerDevil_1 Members Posts: 107 ClubWRX
    Any issues with the face on p790?
  • KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    So true thats why i sold 0311 and went for the T instead. TM need to do so much to get 790 n its 2nd gen to be on par with 0311 series.

Can imagine cavity will fade off the market in the next 3-5 yrs and replaced by 0311/790 alike products.

Kevinnz wrote:

But you have to get the T model to have similar offset. The regular / players model of 0311 has way more offset than the 790 which is a total deal breaker for a lot of people
  • EricWGolfEricWGolf Members Posts: 587 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

I bet the speed foamed long irons will have forged faces like the P790 and the short irons will be fully forged like the P750/P770.

noodle3872 wrote:

There’s no reason to make the P790 smaller. Having a line up of P730, P760 and P790 gives TM a small, medium and large sized clubhead offering.

These are the correct answers.
    TaylorMade M6 - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    TaylorMade M4 3 Wood - KuroKage 70
    TaylorMade M4 3 Hybrid - KuroKage 80
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 51
    TaylorMade HiToe 56/60 - Nippon Modus 120
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,020 ✭✭
    BirdieBob wrote:

My sales rep told me the P760's will be smaller than the P790's and the will only have speed foam down the the 7 iron. The 8-G will not have the speed foam. I love my P790 irons 3-7 but I feel like the short irons only go straight up in the air and I struggle with trying to flight them lower and with distance control. The new P 760s could be just what I am looking for!

Interesting news here.

I forgot to add he said early November release date and that there would be tour players who put them in their bags (full set) not just a 3 or 4 iron

Seems like this new TM model will be similar to the PXG 0311T (tour model) with a smaller head, more loft and higher spin.

The P790 distance iron is comparable to the PXG 0311XF model, so that would make sense to expand the lineup of the front cavity design that is so popular.

I don't see the 790s as at all comparable to the PXG XF which is much larger and has much more offset etc. The 790 is much closer to the PXG P model in appearance with less offset in the long irons.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • BirdieBobBirdieBob PXG Members Posts: 4,059 ✭✭
    BirdieBob wrote:

My sales rep told me the P760's will be smaller than the P790's and the will only have speed foam down the the 7 iron. The 8-G will not have the speed foam. I love my P790 irons 3-7 but I feel like the short irons only go straight up in the air and I struggle with trying to flight them lower and with distance control. The new P 760s could be just what I am looking for!

Interesting news here.

I forgot to add he said early November release date and that there would be tour players who put them in their bags (full set) not just a 3 or 4 iron

Seems like this new TM model will be similar to the PXG 0311T (tour model) with a smaller head, more loft and higher spin.

The P790 distance iron is comparable to the PXG 0311XF model, so that would make sense to expand the lineup of the front cavity design that is so popular.

I don't see the 790s as at all comparable to the PXG XF which is much larger and has much more offset etc. The 790 is much closer to the PXG P model in appearance with less offset in the long irons.
    Nope! As someone that has owned all three models, the p790 is comparable to the pxg 0311xf.

And also in performance!...w/ gen1 xf

Watch.

WITB....GOLF EQUIPMENT MATTERS
    PXG 0811X Gen2, 10.5* (9.5*), JDM Limited Edition 2016 Basileus AAA 60X
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 13* (14.5*), Tensei Pro Blue 70TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2, 18* (17.0*), Tensei Pro White 80TX
    PXG 0317X Gen2, 19* (20.0*), Tensei Pro White HY 100X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #2 DI, KBS TGI 100 X
    PXG 0311X Gen2, Extreme Dark, #4 & #5 DI, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311P Gen2, Extreme Dark, 6 - P Irons, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 50* Milled Sugar Daddy Extreme Dark, DG TI AMT x100 LE ONYX
    PXG 0311T 55* & 60* Milled Darkness Wedges, DG TI s400 ONYX
    SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Hybrid Stand Bag
    PXG Limited Edition Darkness Umbrella
    STEWART Golf X9 FOLLOW Electric Cart, Darkness model

Bb -

Sorry aesthetically this is just not close to true. The XF is bigger has much more offset and has a WAY bigger and wider sole. Turf interaction couldnt be more different. I had both in hand earlier today. If your saying the XF and 790 perform similar than kudos to TM for making a set that looks SO MUCH better at address but provides that level of performance and forgiveness. I've hit a few shots w the XFs but the look was so jarring to my eye at address that it really didn't matter what it did.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)

Bb -

Sorry aesthetically this is just not close to true. The XF is bigger has much more offset and has a WAY bigger and wider sole. Turf interaction couldnt be more different. I had both in hand earlier today. If your saying the XF and 790 perform similar than kudos to TM for making a set that looks SO MUCH better at address but provides that level of performance and forgiveness. I've hit a few shots w the XFs but the look was so jarring to my eye at address that it really didn't matter what it did.

Since I have actually owned and hit both we will have to disagree as my original post stated TM needs a smaller front cavity like the 0311t as the p790 is more conparable to the 0311xf. I stand by that.

The performance numbers presented verify that.

SCOTTY Cameron Custom "Murdered Out" Select Newport M2 Putter, w/SC Black CircleT HC

edited Sep 1, 2018 #75
    BirdieBob wrote:

Bb -

Since I have actually owned and hit both we will have to disagree as my original post stated TM needs a smaller front cavity like the 0311t as the p790 is more conparable to the 0311xf. I stand by that.

My issue is your going to steer people who don't have the opportunity to see both the wrong way. I'm not talking about performance I am talking about aesthetics as I've continuously said. They are not the same kind of iron aesthetically. I look at, design and make irons for a living and obviously I work for neither PXG or TM. I see all the little details and these irons are not similar in profile and look. For example the PXG XF 5 iron has 2+ MM more offset than the TM. The sole is significantly wider, the head is longer Heel-toe, the back of the club is sticking out the back and can be seen at address etc. The 790 is smaller, slimmer, less offset, thinner sole, cleaner look at address with no back sticking out at address etc. Again if your saying they launch and spin similarly I wont argue as I don't have that much experience hitting the XFs but they are not in the same aesthetic catagory.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
    BirdieBob wrote:

Bb -

My issue is your going to steer people who don't have the opportunity to see both the wrong way. I'm not talking about performance I am talking about anesthetics as I've continuously said. They are not the same kind of iron aesthetically. I look at, design and make irons for a living and obviously I work for neither PXG or TM. I see all the little details and these irons are not similar in profile and look. For example the PXG XF 5 iron has 2+ MM more offset than the TM. The sole is significantly wider, the head is bigger the back of the blade is sticking out the back and can be seen at address etc. Again if your saying they launch and spin similarly I wont argue as I don't have that much experience hitting the XFs but they are not in the same aesthetic catagory.
    I said nothing about my preference for which iron, p790 or 0311xf only that they are in fact very comparable.

Now lets see if TM comes out with a p760 that is comparable to the pxg 0311t!

That is what this thread is about.

BirdieBob wrote:

BirdieBob wrote:

Bb -

My issue is your going to steer people who don't have the opportunity to see both the wrong way. I'm not talking about performance I am talking about anesthetics as I've continuously said. They are not the same kind of iron aesthetically. I look at, design and make irons for a living and obviously I work for neither PXG or TM. I see all the little details and these irons are not similar in profile and look. For example the PXG XF 5 iron has 2+ MM more offset than the TM. The sole is significantly wider, the head is bigger the back of the blade is sticking out the back and can be seen at address etc. Again if your saying they launch and spin similarly I wont argue as I don't have that much experience hitting the XFs but they are not in the same aesthetic catagory.
    I said nothing about my preference for which iron, p790 or 0311xf only that they are in fact very comparable.

Now lets see if TM comes out with a p760 that is comparable to the pxg 0311t!

That is what this thread is about.

We all know your preference that's not the issue. All I'm saying is the 790s and XFs aren't the same catagory of club in terms of looks and how they setup to the ball. If you like how one looks at address that doesn't mean you will like the other. They are very different. The 760s sound like they will b very sweet when they come out.
    Ari Techner
    [email protected]
    (still a huge club HO)
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,667 ✭✭
    The Summary is at 8 mins if you don;t want to watch the whole video

Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    0311T < 790s. Period.

Today is actually the first day I haven't played a round or hit a bucket of balls in 2 - 3 weeks. Decent.

I am wondering if they are re-formulating the gel or foam or whatever rigamarole is in the club face.
    BirdieBob wrote:

Bb -

And the spec numbers are clear that they are not comparable. Offset for 790 4 iron is 0.14 vs T 0.13 P 0.22 and XF 0.24. For 6 iron it is still 790 0.12 T 0.09 P0.16 and XF 0.18

That is a WORLD of difference and frankly why a lot of 790 users like me would not consider even the Players model which has less offset than XF and yes I have tried them all.
    edited Sep 2, 2018 #81

BirdieBob wrote:

Bb -

And the spec numbers are clear that they are not comparable. Offset for 790 4 iron is 0.14 vs T 0.13 P 0.22 and XF 0.24. For 6 iron it is still 790 0.12 T 0.09 P0.16 and XF 0.18

That is a WORLD of difference and frankly why a lot of 790 users like me would not consider even the Players model which has less offset than XF and yes I have tried them all.

When I said that the p790 is comparable to the 0311xf, I was referring to the fact that both are "distance" irons. And we're talking front cavity designed irons for comparison.

And this is why Michael Newton golf was comparing the two irons in his video.

His results show the two distance irons are very comparable.

Now that TM has its front cavity distance iron in the p790, it is this thread that is indicating a smaller and more players or tour style front cavity may be coming soon. And it can then be said it may be comparable with the pxg tour iron 0311t or p model.

Hope that makes it more clear what I was referring to in my initial post.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

• bktupperbktupper Members Posts: 2
    Just saw these in person from the Taylormade rep. Forged faces, and progressive speed foam. The largest amount of foam in the long irons getting less and less into the 7 iron to make sure there isn't a big distance gap to the forged 8-pw. Size looks more like the 770's but slightly smaller which I really like because the short irons (8-pw) always looked just a little bulky to my eye in the 770's (played mp-59's and now 718 AP2's 7-pw for reference). Really excited because always wanted P-790's but in a smaller package. Have a P790 UDI and love that rocket ship.
    bktupper wrote:

Just saw these in person from the Taylormade rep. Forged faces, and progressive speed foam. The largest amount of foam in the long irons getting less and less into the 7 iron to make sure there isn't a big distance gap to the forged 8-pw. Size looks more like the 770's but slightly smaller which I really like because the short irons (8-pw) always looked just a little bulky to my eye in the 770's (played mp-59's and now 718 AP2's 7-pw for reference). Really excited because always wanted P-790's but in a smaller package. Have a P790 UDI and love that rocket ship.

Where are the pics?
    bktupper wrote:

Wrong thread though - they are not replacement 790's
  • bktupperbktupper Members Posts: 2
    Yeah i know tm wouldn't replace the p790's its their best seller by a long ways. I loved the long irons of the p790's, but too bulky for my eye in the short irons, so I love what they are doing to replace the p750 and 770's.

Rep wouldn't let me take a pic sorry fellas
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,113 ClubWRX
    All I know is that I absolutely love my p790's. The replacement would have to be pretty incredible to get me to trade them in. Best irons I have ever owned.
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    pics tomorrow I believe?
  • jjljjl Members Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    NevinW wrote:

All I know is that I absolutely love my p790's. The replacement would have to be pretty incredible to get me to trade them in. Best irons I have ever owned.

I just demo'd the P790 (finally) and purchased on the spot... I don't care what their replacements are, the P790 is an amazing iron and just perfect for my game.
    Cobra F8 Tour Length
    Ping G410 Hybrid 19*
    TaylorMade P790 4-PW
    TaylorMade HiToe 50, 56, 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RX
    Titleist Players 4 
    jjl wrote:

NevinW wrote:

I just demo'd the P790 (finally) and purchased on the spot... I don't care what their replacements are, the P790 is an amazing iron and just perfect for my game.

Better late than never...
  • PatsNationPatsNation Members Posts: 1,505 ✭✭
    Rorys Insta has a live video of the new P760s FYI
  • cubuffscubuffs Members Posts: 390 ✭✭
    jjl wrote:

NevinW wrote:

Same here - got fitted and ordered a custom set back on the 27th of September - the only issue - they won't arrive until the 29th of October. Can't wait....