Martial Arts In A Real Street Fight

13»

Comments

• Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B Members Posts: 2,530 ✭✭
    Mike is right above. I have been in around 9-10 good fights. Most I have won but a couple got the best of me. One I needed to run from and was drunk but after getting sucker punched I couldn’t walk let alone drive but jumped in my Jeep and ran!!! But I never had any real training other than what my Vietnam Vet father taught me. Plus playing sports and knowing how to punch from always punching things. My old man was trained in forms of Judo, JujiI and Karate but was meant for hand to hand combat in the jungle against an enemy who knew these as well but much smaller people. But what helped me the most was my rage because once my switch is flipped you will need to knock me out or my Adrenalin stops. I have fainted after fights from all the sugar I burned.

Remember when UFC was all about brawls most were Black Belt type Karate experts. I wouldn’t fight any BB or trained fighter and most of those guys who have training don’t pick fights.

I also grew up with some tough buds who faught in UFC sanction fights. One was a Div 1 wrestler and the other was just a brawler. Two completely different weight classes but personally saw them fight a few times. These weren’t guys looking for fights either. Instead fights seem to always find them, or me.

Anyways anything organized for a child is awesome. I would bet your child who knows Karate would Smoke any other kid who doesn’t. But when there is a size/strengt difference it might not matter just as. Bladehunter deacribed.

Only way to know is to stop being sissies on her guessing and get out there and get into a fight. Otherwise get back to golf and stop acting tough or that you know something!
    WITB (for this week =)
    - TC GBB 9.0 w/KK SS 60s Proto
    - TC Alpha 816 16* w/Voodoo 7s
    -Tour Issue Dhy Pro 21* / 18* hybrids w/Matrix Tour White/Black Ties
    -Mp63 raw 4-p w/Black Smoke KBS120s
    -Mp10 52-56-60’s
    -Putter - revolving door but lean towards Tour Issue Ody’s

Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it!

***always up for trades***
  • Sabumnim3Sabumnim3 Members Posts: 335 ✭✭
    Benny bringin’ the fire!!
  • Animal ChinAnimal Chin Members Posts: 415 ✭✭
    This thread is getting hilarious now.

Thanks, guys.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,401 ✭✭
    edited Jan 25, 2019 6:40pm #65
    Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen in groups/packs and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Also, even one on one, it's often some aggressor who takes offense, that crazy person who without warning comes over and tries to pop you. In those cases, training is good so you are natural at slipping and countering in one move rather than just covering up.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭
    All things being equal, someone who has self defense or any type of combat training & live sparring is going to have an advantage over Joe Blow.

The obsession over "street fights" is silly. Just don't get in them. Avoid confrontation or being out at the bars too late.
  • Titleist 670Titleist 670 Members Posts: 1,836 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen is groups and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Also, even one on one, it's often some aggressor who takes offense, that crazy person who without warning comes over and tries to pop you. In those cases, training is good so you are natural at slipping and countering in one move rather than just covering up.

Yes, very chaotic. Even guys who fight for a living, in group situations, things get messy. Just look at the Diaz brothers brawl against Mayhem Miller, or the Khabib camp vs Conor camp nonsense.

It's a crapshoot.

Bas Rutten was on Joe Rogan's podcast and was talking about fighting in general, and his biggest worry is that a lot of schools out there instill a completely false sense of confidence in people who go to the dojo a few times a week, but have no business actually fighting. The last thing you want to do is think you are going to be fine in a situation against a knife or a gun and decide to engage that person rather than trying to calm the situation down and walk away.
  • Sabumnim3Sabumnim3 Members Posts: 335 ✭✭

bscinstnct wrote:

Most memorable to me is that many street fights happen is groups and erupt quickly and are chaotic. Keep your feet, don't take down, and be aware of what is on all sides cause on the ground, you're a target for multiple people to start clobbering you.

Yes, very chaotic. Even guys who fight for a living, in group situations, things get messy. Just look at the Diaz brothers brawl against Mayhem Miller, or the Khabib camp vs Conor camp nonsense.

It's a crapshoot.

Bas Rutten was on Joe Rogan's podcast and was talking about fighting in general, and his biggest worry is that a lot of schools out there instill a completely false sense of confidence in people who go to the dojo a few times a week, but have no business actually fighting. The last thing you want to do is think you are going to be fine in a situation against a knife or a gun and decide to engage that person rather than trying to calm the situation down and walk away.

What you say is true which is why you do your research before joining a school. For every good instructor there’s 50 jabroni’s out there that don’t have a clue what they’re doing. I taught knife and gun defense as well as dat training to law enforcement for years and if you don’t know what you’re doing you put lives at stake.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,731 ✭✭
    All things being equal, someone who has self defense or any type of combat training & live sparring is going to have an advantage over Joe Blow.

The obsession over "street fights" is silly. Just don't get in them. Avoid confrontation or being out at the bars too late.

Nothing good happens after 2:00 am.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,731 ✭✭
    Sabumnim3 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

It's a crapshoot.

What you say is true which is why you do your research before joining a school. For every good instructor there’s 50 jabroni’s out there that don’t have a clue what they’re doing. I taught knife and gun defense as well as dat training to law enforcement for years and if you don’t know what you’re doing you put lives at stake.

I appreciate the proper contextual use of the word “jabroni”.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

Agree , don't get why street fights are a badge of honor for some. It's 2019...we don't need to get into dumb street fights when there are other options, like online bullying them until they cry
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g