2018 Callaway X-forged vs. Mizuno MP-18 SC irons

golfer55082

I currently play 2018 Callaway X-Forged irons, 5-pw, Nippon 950GH Standard. I am happy with the set. However, I always wonder if I should give Mizuno MP-18 a try, because a few reviews I read just rave about Mizuno irons.

Does anybody have experience in direct comparison between these two irons? Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the mp 18 sc, funny as how I'm interested in the x forged! For some reason they look more forgiving than my mp's.

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke

X Forged when I demoed them were butter.

I've had Mizzy in the past, while nice I think some of the 'hype' or praise for them is from what are known as 'fanboys'.....kind of like Glocks.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

My friend played X forged while I was testing options for my iron set. H2H against mp18 SC's the callaways felt easier to hit straight and the flight trajectory was higher. So, a touch more forgiving I would say. However mizzys just felt sweeter on a good strike and easier to shape the ball flight. I endep up choosing SC's.

Disclaimer: since junior Mizuno has been the brand for irons and Callaway for woods to me.

I felt the opposite of the above. Had been gaming MP5s for a couple of years and was thinking about updating. Am NOT a Mizuno fanboy to be clear. Have gamed everything from Miura to PXG, Bridgestone to Nike.

Went and tried a bunch of blades and CBs, and the MP18 SCs were the best overall. Just the perfect blend of feel, ability to hit shots and forgiveness. Better than the AP2, 718 CB, X Forged, et al.

Guess it comes down to individual preference, and what you are looking for in an iron. And all of us are different...

I hit both at a fitting. I was biased towards the X forged when i went in there because my previous set was an older X forged set, both performed the exact same but the Mizunos felt so much better that I ended up getting them instead. X Forged weren’t bad and I would have been just as happy I’m sure, the feel on the Mizunos couldn’t be ignored though.

Tried both, it's not even close. The SCs are the best players CB out by far. They look WAY better than the x forged too. Center strikes almost feel as pure as blades. Off center strikes are not punished as much as you would think. Mizuno hype/fanboys are well deserved - if OEMs didn't pay guys to play their clubs, the vast majority of tour pros would bag Mizzy irons. Their feel is unmatched unless you go JDM.

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

X Forged when I demoed them were butter.

I've had Mizzy in the past, while nice I think some of the 'hype' or praise for them is from what are known as 'fanboys'.....kind of like Glocks.

While I will admit there are a lot of Mizuno fanboys (including myself), I think the praise is warranted. Are there other clubs that have that same feel? Yeah, probably. Better feel? Maybe, but that's subjective. I just think the crafting and quality of Mizuno irons is unmatched. You are getting your full money's worth with Mizuno.

I do think that the amount of guys with no club contracts playing Mizuno irons does say something. It's not an "end of discussion", but it's worth mentioning.

other iron to maybe think about. - 919 Forged, released this week.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I’m not sure how your swing would react with the MP18SC if you’re running with the 950 shafts. Both heads have different characteristics.

I currently play 2018 Callaway X-Forged irons, 5-pw, Nippon 950GH Standard. I am happy with the set. However, I always wonder if I should give Mizuno MP-18 a try, because a few reviews I read just rave about Mizuno irons.

Does anybody have experience in direct comparison between these two irons? Thanks.

I’m not sure how your swing would react with the MP18SC if you’re running with the 950 shafts. Both heads have different characteristics.

Do you state this as a general statement about the importance of head & shaft combination or there sre certain characteristics in Nippon 959gh shaft that make it not work the best with MP-18 SC irons? If it’s the latter can you provide more specifics? Thanks.

Definitely keep an open mind in the shaft options. May be even look at the Modus 105 or even the Recoil 95, 110 to get the ideal launch and spin.

For example, my 30* - 6 iron launches 17* with about 6300 rpm of back spin, which is almost well acceptable for a pure blade. 6000 is ideal which I get with my 900 Tours but I bought the 18MB purely on looks and feel.

I’m predicting the Cally may spin a couple undred revs less than the 18SC.

I’ve played the 950 shafts in my past MP60 and they do add extra launch and spin so you have to consider the Callaways are a degree stronger along with being well perimetered when you you do compare numbers.

Another thing, that could make a difference to are the sole design. I think the Callaway (should have the advantage) has a more versatile sole and more heel relief.

Honestly, the Callys are good irons and if they work well for you, a 18SC purchase would be solely in looks alone as I wouldn’t expect a performance gain, if anything, you may have a trade off.

Happy shopping.

Do you state this as a general statement about the importance of head & shaft combination or there sre certain characteristics in Nippon 959gh shaft that make it not work the best with MP-18 SC irons? If it’s the latter can you provide more specifics? Thanks.

I'm going from '07 x-forged to MP-18's The numbers for me were better than the new x-forged. However, i personally think those maybe the 2 best irons you can get. If i wasnt going with a combo set i would go x-forged over the mizuno 900 series. I think that is a better comparison.

Like the MP 18's, but I really enjoy shifting the gears with the

X Forged. Owned Mizuno faithfully since the 29's . Had so many of their top of the line irons, it was just time to give the

X Forged a run. I am sure to own another future set of mizuno's. But for now, these Callaways check all the boxes. Grew up on

Blades, its nice to be able to play well with anything I want.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Definitely keep an open mind in the shaft options. May be even look at the Modus 105 or even the Recoil 95, 110 to get the ideal launch and spin.

For example, my 30* - 6 iron launches 17* with about 6300 rpm of back spin, which is almost well acceptable for a pure blade. 6000 is ideal which I get with my 900 Tours but I bought the 18MB purely on looks and feel.

I’m predicting the Cally may spin a couple undred revs less than the 18SC.

I’ve played the 950 shafts in my past MP60 and they do add extra launch and spin so you have to consider the Callaways are a degree stronger along with being well perimetered when you you do compare numbers.

Another thing, that could make a difference to are the sole design. I think the Callaway (should have the advantage) has a more versatile sole and more heel relief.

Honestly, the Callys are good irons and if they work well for you, a 18SC purchase would be solely in looks alone as I wouldn’t expect a performance gain, if anything, you may have a trade off.

Happy shopping.

Many thanks!

The X forged FEEL better almost an addictive sensation when you hit the sweet spot . The Mp sc is a nice heavy feeling club that is a good club and it looks better than the X forged . These really aren't the clubs you run to when looking for forgiveness but I felt like the X forged still performed on mishits a little better than the sc . I would remove the paint fill on the X FORGE and play it .

Confidence is a personal thing. Some will prefer the longer blade length of the Callaway, and others the slightly thicker top line of the SC.

For me, I find the slightly longer blade length more confidence inspiring than the thicker top line on a slightly shorter blade length.

With these irons, it’s all relative. Again, probably not much between them.