2016 M2 Vs. Ping G400 Max

titelist

Both of these are very popular Drivers. In the end which one goes down as the more popular driver? For those of you that have played both what are your thoughts

I know I have both and struggle to decide which one I want to commit to and move forward with. One thing I do know is that I need to quit switching back and forth. LOL

2016 10.5 M2 (playing at 11.25) with 60g stiff Rogue Silver Shaft

Ping G400 Max 10.5 Tour 60 shaft stiff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played M2 previously, 400 Max now. M2 had some fade bias to it in my opinion. Hit some bombs, but my right miss was amplified. 400 Max is just easy to hit straight when you make a good swing. Probably not optimized for me as I tend to spin the driver a lot, but I’ll take fairways all day.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Used a KK Silver TiNi 60x in M2 after being fit for that combo. Recently fit into Diamana W Series 70x which I really enjoy. Using that in my 400 Max.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

The max is just massive at address. It also launches and spins higher than m2 for most people, however it is tremendously forgiving. The amount of play 2016 M2 received on Tour from, at the time, non contract players says everything that needs to be said about how good it is. Tiger, Rory, Brooks, Know, etc as well as DJ, Rose, Sergio and other staffers. I'd go as far as to say it may be the best driver Taylormade has ever made.

G400 for “actual golf”

M2 for “launch monitor golf”

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

For me, there was no comparison. The Max was better in every way over the M2. Feel out of the center of the M2 is nice, but anywhere else and it feels like I'm hitting it against a tree. The Max is really good all over the face and so much more forgiving than the M2. I found the Max to spin really low actually, not sure what everyone else is playing in it as far as shafts, but with the HZRDUS Yellow 76, it was spinning around 1800-2000 for me, 9*, launching around 14*. I probably could have dialed it in better, too. I do prefer the looks of the M2 but that's about where it ends for me. For forgiveness and length, the G400 Max is really tough to beat IMO.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I just got a new 2016 m2 8.5 gonna put it up against my 440 and see how it fairs

Your 440 doesn't stand a chance. I did the opposite, tried to unseat my 16M2 8.5 with the 440, was never a fair fight and after 2.5 months of testing the M2 is back in the bag. The 440 looks better and I actually feel slightly more accurate with the smaller head. But the 440 was never capable of reaching some of the ridiculous places the M2 can and does every round.

Dial in the 16M2 8.5 with the right shaft and I firmly don't think there is anything out there that can beat it.

I'm using the MAX with the TOUR "S" shaft and an Evenflow Black 6.5. In both cases, I put it them up against several standard 400's and several LST's and this particular MAX head spun less than all the other tested. Clearly a winner.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Kale nailed it above, at least from my experience if I want to light up the launch monitor go with the M2, if I want something that saves a score go with the G400 Max. Had the 2016 M2 with HZRDUS 65g 6.5, switched to the G400 Max with 75g 6.5, it's amazing how much more forgiving the G400 is. On center hits I think the M2 goes maybe a hair longer, but not much. I normally fight high spinning drivers and have noticed zero of that with mine, may be the shaft but I play it at 9* with the big "+"

Now I know it's stupid to compare what the pros are using because it's all customized, and prob a question for Toll, but I figure it can't be super high spinning if Lovelady (4th in driving distance), Mullinax (2nd), Hagy (3rd last year injured this year), and Finau (3rd) are all using the G400 Max. Not to mention the LOL of Cameron Champ on the Web.com averaging 342 with it.

I think for better players, the 2016 M2 is incredibly (if not impossible) to beat.

I think if you could use some real help getting off the tee w/ something that'll provide as much forgiveness as possible, G400 Max is hard to beat.

They're not really two drivers designed for the same purpose anyway...assess your game and your needs and choose off that.

I think for better players, the 2016 M2 is incredibly (if not impossible) to beat.

I think if you could use some real help getting off the tee w/ something that'll provide as much forgiveness as possible, G400 Max is hard to beat.

They're not really two drivers designed for the same purpose anyway...assess your game and your needs and choose off that.

Not discounting the MAX's significant forgiveness advantage, it's not like the M2 is at all "unforgiving". Afterall, it was the most forgiving driver in TM's lineup in 2016.

I just got a new 2016 m2 8.5 gonna put it up against my 440 and see how it fairs

Your 440 doesn't stand a chance. I did the opposite, tried to unseat my 16M2 8.5 with the 440, was never a fair fight and after 2.5 months of testing the M2 is back in the bag. The 440 looks better and I actually feel slightly more accurate with the smaller head. But the 440 was never capable of reaching some of the ridiculous places the M2 can and does every round.

Dial in the 16M2 8.5 with the right shaft and I firmly don't think there is anything out there that can beat it.

I just got it and paired it up with a Kuro Kage XT 60 tx I hope your right!!!! But the 440 has been so good

M2 better for me, sold the max to a pal ... ymmv

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I have a G400 Max in my backup bag, and an M2 in my game bag.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

G400 Max for me and it's not even close. I tried hard to like the M2/M1 drivers but could never get along with them. I actually just unloaded my 10.5 G400 Max with the Tour 65 stiff. My swing has really come around lately and I decided I needed to go back down in loft. I came really close to ordering a G400 LST with a Tour 65 X stiff shaft. I was back and forth between the 8.5 and 10 degree heads. I really don't know what I was thinking because as soon as I threw the 9 deg Max head into the mix it was all over. Tuned it down to 8.4 degrees and it was just money. Can't wait for it to get here.

As far as spin goes, I don't know what club everyone is hitting, because the Max is as low spin as anything else for me.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, So after several weeks and several rounds and a few range sessions and losing money in skins games I'm going back to my 2016 TM Driver and HL 3 Wood. I could just never get comfortable with the Ping G400 woods. I tried the Driver, 3 wood then 5 wood all with the stock stiff shaft ad the Tour shafts.

The 2016 M2 are just solid clubs (plenty forgiving, feel and sound well with good distance. Playing mine with the Aldila Tour Silver Shafts. Now with that being said, the club ho in me wants to try the new Titleist Woods.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, After a good portion of the summer and several rounds and range sessions of trying to make the G400 Max to work for me I'm throwing in the towel. I really wanted to G400 Max Driver and 5 Wood to make it in my bag but it is not working. I'm going back to my 2016 M2 Driver and 3HL set up with the Rogue Silver Shafts. This set up just works for me.

The 206 M2 Woods are jus hard to beat (Sound, forgiveness and plenty of distance). Although, Like a majority of us Golf Wrx Hoes, I'm thinking about giving the new Titleist TS2 Driver an opportunity to replace the M2.

I still haven’t found a driver that can beat my 2016 M2.

I’ve hit the Max and it’s good. I’m waiting to see the new Mizuno and the G410 before making any decisions. Of course by then the rumored M5 and M6 will be out.

I hit the TS2 and TS3 but neither wowed me. TS3 was good...just not the right choice for me.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

OK, So after several weeks and several rounds and a few range sessions and losing money in skins games I'm going back to my 2016 TM Driver and HL 3 Wood. I could just never get comfortable with the Ping G400 woods. I tried the Driver, 3 wood then 5 wood all with the stock stiff shaft ad the Tour shafts.

The 2016 M2 are just solid clubs (plenty forgiving, feel and sound well with good distance. Playing mine with the Aldila Tour Silver Shafts. Now with that being said, the club ho in me wants to try the new Titleist Woods.

I'm not trying to confuse you ( more ) but the shafts you're playing in each isn't a good way to compare the two drivers. I have played 6 Ping driver releases

( Anser , G25 , G30 , G , G400,G400 MAX ) and when I bought a G30 with the Tour 65 shaft I didn't like it at all and hit slight blocks to the right. The Aldila Rogue Silver 60 MSI 110

in the G head made a huge difference and it went to the G400 and now the MAX.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Like everything else in life, the answer is "it depends".

I guess if I had a tour caliber swing the M2 would fit the bill, but unlike many here, I don't.

I've had the Ping G400max in my bag for about a month, I'm back to looking forward to tight fairways. This club (for me) absolutely rocks.

Although I've it some monster drives with the Ping, it's probably not the longest driver in the world, but my fairways hit number is through the roof, hence, scores are down.

Not knocking the M2, but damn this Ping is killing it!

By the way.....YMMV.

X________________________________ Sign Here

So, I agree that you have to compare with the same shafts. Those aren’t the same properties. Also, the drivers are apples to oranges. The 16 m2 actually spins less than the 400 lst. Not as forgiving. And it’s almost 3 years older. What about the m4? I have the 16 m2, 17 m2, m4, g30 lst, G400, g sft and g max. I prefer m4 over all, it is pretty much everything in one. Looks, forgiveness, medium spin. Not trying to confuse but again the comparison is like tour spec to beginner. I’d say G400 lst is most comparable to 16 m2. Good luck!

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

So, I agree that you have to compare with the same shafts. Those aren’t the same properties. Also, the drivers are apples to oranges. The 16 m2 actually spins less than the 400 lst. Not as forgiving. And it’s almost 3 years older. What about the m4? I have the 16 m2, 17 m2, m4, g30 lst, G400, g sft and g max. I prefer m4 over all, it is pretty much everything in one. Looks, forgiveness, medium spin. Not trying to confuse but again the comparison is like tour spec to beginner. I’d say G400 lst is most comparable to 16 m2. Good luck!

This.

While different driver heads provide me diff feels, shafts are what actually affect how I'm hitting it in my opinion.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour