How many hours to become high level college player

13»

Comments

• CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 422 ✭✭
    Interesting discussion, especially the posts re driving distance

Seems like it deserves its own separate post
  • benlenahanbenlenahan Members Posts: 18
    Simple answer, a lot.

I am currently a junior in high school that is a 4 handicap, and I can say, if my game stays this way, I will not be playing top level college golf. Until the past year, my work ethic was very low, and as a result showed little promise and progression. The turning point was when I played with the father of a recent #7 pick in the NFL draft, and he told me the importance of the mental side and practicing with a purpose. You could spend 10,000 hours pounding away mindlessly at range balls and get nowhere near the improvement that you can with 100 hours of meaningful practice.

Bottom line, it depends. Some more than others, but one thing is for sure, and doing nothing will not cut it.

Also, the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.0 GPA go a lot further than the difference between a 3 and 4 handicapper, at least for the high school golfer.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    ...the best players practice about 285 days per year for 3.7 hours (per day).

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    Malcolm Gladwell is a writer, not an academic. His 10000 hour idea is anecdotal, not a peer reviewed piece of research.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    farmer wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell is a writer, not an academic. His 10000 hour idea is anecdotal, not a peer reviewed piece of research.

Were you replying to someone or did you just feel the need to share?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,853 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:

farmer wrote:

Were you replying to someone or did you just feel the need to share?
    The whole "hour" meme came from a book written by Malcolm Gladwell: "Outliers". Read the title of the thread, that's why I posted this information.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 873 ✭✭
    I asked and this is how many hours it takes to become a professional golfer:
    Owl.png 139.7K
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    270-280 at sea level in Florida is plenty long . I’m right around 285 carry or so and have only played with a couple kids who hit it past me in college and mini tour events. If you can get 250 off the tee your plenty long enough to play amazing golf the rest just helps the cause
  • ethanshapiroethanshapiro grinder Members Posts: 617 ✭✭
    As a junior player myself I disagree. I see a lot of guys who hit it no more than 275-280 win a lot and just have good iron games to hit 12-14 greens in a round and don't 3-putt a **** of a lot and make their good birdie chances a fair amount of the time. They grind out pars when they need to, have complete bunker games, bounce back from bogeys, etc. Playing around par is a learnable skill and one of my good friends shot 63 or something at the Maryland AM or Junior Am in front of the coach at a top 10 school driving the ball just under 300 yards and hitting greens and making 10 foot putts. Very few junior golf setups are 6900 yards and college coaches that aren't competing for national titles don't really care that much if you hit it 300 so long as you hit it 250+ and have room to grow. 200+ college coaches don't need you to be playing on Sunday at the US Junior Amateur just to give you a look. I played in one AJGA, played AWFUL, and still was able to elicit replies from some really good golf teams. Work hard and see what happens is my short answer.
    TaylorMade M1[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] 2017 [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]9.5' Aldila Rogue Silver 60g[/font]
    [font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Callaway Rogue [/font][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]15' Yonex Rexis S 60g[/font]
    Titleist 818 H219' Fujikura Atmos 85g
    TaylorMade PSI KBS Tour Stiff 90g 5-PW
    Titleist SM5 50' 08F Project X 7.0
    Titleist SM6 54'08M Project X 7.0
    Titleist SM5 62' 08T Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2015
    Titleist PRO V1x 2019