Retired, how many times do you play now?

theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭
edited Aug 26, 2018 in General Golf Talk #1
I am thinking 4 days a week when I retire, early morning rounds. What do you guys do?
Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
Miura Tour 2018 52 and 58 Wedges
Wilson 8802 Milled Putter
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dennis4190dennis4190 Louisville,KyMembers Posts: 559 ✭✭
    I retired in March and started playing 4-5 times a week instead of the 4-5 times a month I was playing when I worked. I quickly found out my back couldn’t handle that much and now I’m playing 2-3 times a week and that’s about the right amount for me
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    I play 3 times a week. Early starts. Never on the weekend. Stay out of the heat and never have to worry about long rounds.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,678 ✭✭
    I'm in the gym every morning at 9am and on the range at 10:30. What happens after that, happens.
  • mjfornmjforn Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    I like to play at least 2 - 3 times a week. I've found that 4 times is just to much but I will do it, if need be. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

I also try to practice my short game once a week, if I only get out once.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,767 mod
    I play 9 holes everyday weather permitting which works out to approximately 300 yearly rounds.
    Cleveland, Nike, Taylormade, Titleist, Vessel
    Handicap:  3
  • doxtr111doxtr111 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    2 times a week
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,521 ✭✭
    Just bear in mind that retirement is highly overrated.

Everyone fantasizes about waking up late every morning, playing golf every day and just lounging around but boredom sets in quick as heck and what makes golf a great escape and a therapeutic process simply becomes part of your daily routine.

I had this happen to me...after about 2-3 months after retiring I felt like my brain was turning to birdsh*t and with a lot of my friends still working, I felt a bit out of sorts. By 11:30AM each day I basically ran out of things to do.

I struggled a bit with what I wanted to do with my life because my career was a big part of what defines me, so i made the decision to go back to work full-time and now find that I get more joy from my career and feeling wanted than a round of golf or two.

There was a study published not so long ago that tracked ex-CEOs that retired and just powered down or off completely and those that stayed active with work or volunteering. First group died on average 10 years earlier than those that stayed active.

Retirement is highly overrated.
  • tommgtommg Members Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Beg to differ St98, retirement is truly wonderful. Only play a couple of times a week but now have time to do all those other things there was no time to do. We have family all over North America and can now visit whenever we please and usually get a round or two in. Been retired a couple of years and have never been happier, and I liked my job.

To each their own.
  • joker2joker2 Members Posts: 385 ✭✭
    4 times a week, and the occasional weekend when working (HA!) buddies need a 4th.
    Just say'in...
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,457 ✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2018 #11
    It really does help to stay active. Golf, volunteer work, travel, chores, grandkids, etc. I still go once a week. But now it’s during the week. The joys of retirement. By the way I have a part time job that gets me out of the house and I can set the days of work plus weekends off. Makes the wife happy.

One more thing I play now for the companionship of my old friends, I mean really old friends I worked with or near for over 30 yrs.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • easyjay39402easyjay39402 Members Posts: 35
    Live by the green on #1. Short walk to the clubhouse and practice facilities. Only play 3 days a week because that is all my body can handle now. I work on my short game most evenings (except for putting, which hurts my back). Mostly hang out with other geezers, work out at the Fitness Center, bike some on a bike trail.

When I retired about 20 years ago, I lived in a different city, but adjacent to a club; played and worked on my game just about every day. Got down to a 6. Good times.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,860 ✭✭
    Hoping to be done and out at 56-58. ... 5 years from now

Likely 2 times a week w two light practice sessions. .. I've played 4 of the last 5 days and the body is hanging on by a thread

Lots of traveling to do
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • oiler45oiler45 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Retired a month ago - 60 years old.

Golf Mon/Wed/Fri - hit the range on Tuesday and Thursday. Week-ends i just watch golf on TV.

I'm in Canada so I don't know what I'll do when the snow comes.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    Being in the Dallas area, I play 5 days / week, weather permitting. Last year I played 182 rounds of golf and 119 full rounds and 9 9-hole rounds so far this year. Early morning rounds in the summer and we generally tee off around 10:30 in the winter when the temps drop down into the 40's or so.
  • hookie25hookie25 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Retired Oct 12, 2016 moved from NJ to Fla 3/17.....5-6 X's a week since

It's pretty awesome....
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members Posts: 1,269 ✭✭
    Retired 16 years ago and play 4-6 days a week. Also agree with those that like to stay busy. I am on several town committees, volunteer for Habitat for Humanity and got a real estate license. I'm sure there are other ways to fill the time, but I rarely have a day when I am not busy.
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    Taylor Made 2 Ball Fang Slant
  • golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭
    Generally, 6 days a week, weather permitting, which it almost always does. Love every minute of it, although I can see where it could run you down a bit.

A thought about retirement after having done it for three years, have a plan. People who just want to stop going to work and never think past that are going to have issues. People who have something they want to pursue in retirement, whatever it is, will find that there aren’t enough hours in the day.

Doesn’t matter what it is, but it better be something.

(As a wife, please let me speak for all women when I say, we don’t want you following us around the grocery store. Please don’t come. We don’t really need groceries, we just want to get away from you for awhile.)
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • vernonvernon Hi! I'm Holly! Members Posts: 1,184 ✭✭

Just bear in mind that retirement is highly overrated.

Everyone fantasizes about waking up late every morning, playing golf every day and just lounging around but boredom sets in quick as heck and what makes golf a great escape and a therapeutic process simply becomes part of your daily routine.

I had this happen to me...after about 2-3 months after retiring I felt like my brain was turning to birdsh*t and with a lot of my friends still working, I felt a bit out of sorts. By 11:30AM each day I basically ran out of things to do.

I struggled a bit with what I wanted to do with my life because my career was a big part of what defines me, so i made the decision to go back to work full-time and now find that I get more joy from my career and feeling wanted than a round of golf or two.

There was a study published not so long ago that tracked ex-CEOs that retired and just powered down or off completely and those that stayed active with work or volunteering. First group died on average 10 years earlier than those that stayed active.

Retirement is highly overrated.
    Boredom?

Wow.

Not here! I retired at 60 and am 65 now and haven't been bored a single second.

Golf, fish and PLENTY of stuff to do around the old homestead.

My wife still works so I've taken over all of the indoor domestic duties as well.

I play 4 - 5 times a week (except when the fishing's really good then maybe only 3 - 4 times.

Do yard work, housework, laundry or whatever in the mornings and am playing by between noon and one as the rest of the day is mine.

Well, at least until I have to come home and get dinner started!

However, I DO have a contingency plan if in fact boredom ever rears its hoary head.

It's called a nap!

Retirement rocks!
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Minimum 5x a week.

Callaway Rogue 12.5* Synergy 50S
    Callaway Diablo 2hyb
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Scotty Cameron California Fastback
    Supersoft
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,213 ✭✭
    Been fortunate enough to have taken two extended hiatuses from work over the years. It was fun for a while but then the reality of not being "part of something" plus the onset of boredom felt lonely. I can only putter around the house with projects for so long. I can only golf, hike, ski, work out, meet people for lunch, travel or whatever leisure so much. Having an excess of free time diminished my joy and appreciation for free time.

Sure ideal retirement is different for everyone, but a Swisstrader said, the data supports staying busy and engaged for as long as possible usually results in a longer, happier, healthier life.

Hopefully when I retire I can still work part time professionally but will still be able have more free time when I need. Golfing about 2 times a week sounds good to me.
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I have plenty of interests to keep me engaged and busy. Just not enough time nor money.

The last thing I want/need is to go back to a job working for yet another clueless manager. I'm not that desperate.

Worked at a startup for a millionaire (many times over) who told me that he tried retiring, but got bored and had to come back to work. I almost felt sad for the guy, but hey, whatever floats his boat. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Granted, my early retirement was forced on me, and subsequently crippled income-wise, but I get to do things I like/want to do. Just not at the pace/frequency I had envisioned.

Golfing once or twice a week, with a bit of practice, would be fine with me.
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,868 ✭✭
    Retired from a career, started to play every day. That got expensive. Started another career on a greens crew to support my retirement hobby.
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,624 ✭✭
    edited Aug 27, 2018 #24
    My wife retired about 6 years ago when we sold our business. I also stopped the real job at the same time. I spent about a year part time at golf maintenance, then enjoyed it so much I went full time for about 2 years, then part time and now extremely party time. I average about 2 hours per week at work setting cups and markers every other weekend. Gives me something to do and I get to see friends when I'm there.

I play 4 to 6 times per week when we are home. Mostly in the morning in FL. But we also travel a lot in our rv. We take our clubs and play when we find a course.

I also think going from full time to part time to very part time helped a lot in the transition from working to retired.
  • DavidvDavidv Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    3 times a week once in awhile add a 4th round. Keep weekends free for other hobbies car shows, races, festivals and weekend getaways. Love retirement never lacking for something to do unless you want to just chill for a day. One key of course is to have your finances in good shape so money is not an issue.
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,710 ✭✭

(As a wife, please let me speak for all women when I say, we don’t want you following us around the grocery store. Please don’t come. We don’t really need groceries, we just want to get away from you for awhile.)

Haha! My wife says the key to our happy marriage is I play golf and she doesn’t - which gives us plenty of time apart.

Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ FloridaMembers Posts: 5,101 ✭✭
    I try to get between 45 and 54 holes in a week. But sometimes can only get 36.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Members Posts: 885 ✭✭

I am thinking 4 days a week when I retire, early morning rounds. What do you guys do?

i started 4 / 5 days a week but settled down to three, sometimes two.
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • acemandrakeacemandrake Members Posts: 300 ✭✭
    For me, retired last year at 59, it's more about time spent playing/practicing golf. I'm good for 2-3 hours & then I want to do something else.

I go to the club 3-4 days/week and practice or play until I feel like stopping. My mind and body feel fresh with this amount of golf.

I wouldn't be surprised if 9 holes becomes the norm for more players.
  • Range ProRange Pro Members Posts: 280 ✭✭
    In the heat of summer, I only play once a week. Hopefully twice during the fall and winter.

I do enjoy practicing, so I'll find a shade tree and hit balls for a couple of hours 3-4 times a week.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,547 ClubWRX
    I play 3-4 times a week when not fishing. Tournament weeks jump to 4-6 rounds (played 6 days straight in a tournament this past spring).
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow