We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Winter jacket suggestions

Comments

• UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1186WRX Points: 195BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,186

On -, @Ruleschamp said:

Is the Elden available in the US?

It’s on sale right now at tgw. 25% off ( 30% if you get their emails)

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • rchalpu98rchalpu98  79WRX Points: 15Members Posts: 79

The Eddie Bauer Ignitelite jacket is fantastic. I have one and really like the fit and ability to swing

Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick  422WRX Points: 159Members Posts: 422

On -, @MountainGoat said:

I've been quietly following this discussion. All these suggestions sound great, but I hate to buy a coat via mail order. It's one of those things where you've got to get the sizing perfect, or it just doesn't work. When people say things like "they run small", I get nervous and imagine an endless series of returns trying to get the fit right. This is one purchase where some local (central Maryland) brick and mortar options would be good.

BTW -- When a jacket is labelled "hybrid", what does that mean?

In general, I agree with you. But, I'm really glad that I've recently taken the leap on some of the gear that has been recommended here and in the rain gear thread. I ordered the Ping Norse II jacket from the UK and couldn't be happier with that decision. I later took a chance on the Proquip mystery box (hoping for some rain gear). As it turned out, I got some wind/cold weather gear that I really like a lot and were definitely worth $50 each to me. I ended up buying additional Proquip gear (some directly from Proquip using a 25% off code that they sent me after my first purchase and some from the same UK retailer that I bought the Norse II jacket from).

I have never seen Ping or Proquip apparel in local stores and never would have tried either if I hadn't read about them here and was willing to incur the cost of return postage. Two things to consider are: 1) when buying shoes and apparel online, sometimes the return shipping is free because the retailer knows that fit could be hit or miss. 2) sometimes the online price is low enough that even if you do have to return it for a replacement due to size (and have to pay for return shipping), you often still come out ahead of paying full retail at a brick & mortar store.

Posted:
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TN 4156WRX Points: 220Members Posts: 4,156

How is the Norse II?

Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • RuleschampRuleschamp  645WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 645

On -, @Minarets said:

How is the Norse II?

Speaking for myself I am underwhelmed. It is definitely warm but it is too bulky for golf in my opinion. I tried on one of my buddy's original Norse last year and they got that one right. It is lightweight, warm and easy to swing in. The Norse II is fine for off the course wear but my vote is a No for on course performance. Just my opinion. I'm sure others had better experiences than mine.

Posted:
  • Ghost of SneadGhost of Snead  2828WRX Points: 246Members Posts: 2,828

Anyone try the Adidas Frostguard jacket ?

Posted:
    Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
    Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
    Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5
    Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
    Vokey V-Grind 58.1
    Taylor Made Spider Mini

Advertisement
  • Sean2Sean2  30969WRX Points: 199Members Posts: 30,969

Depending on how cold it is, I wear a down jacket...it doesn't have to be golf specific, just as long as it gives me full range of motion and keeps me warm. Plus, I don't need to wear a bunch of layers.

Posted:
  • chris975dchris975d Georgia 2020WRX Points: 231ClubWRX Posts: 2,020

On -, @Ruleschamp said:

On -, @Minarets said:

How is the Norse II?

Speaking for myself I am underwhelmed. It is definitely warm but it is too bulky for golf in my opinion. I tried on one of my buddy's original Norse last year and they got that one right. It is lightweight, warm and easy to swing in. The Norse II is fine for off the course wear but my vote is a No for on course performance. Just my opinion. I'm sure others had better experiences than mine.

You may have had a bad fit then, but it's also possible that it just wasn't for you/not a good match, which does happen. All of PING's outerwear is designed (and their rep's will stress this during sales visits) to be worn VERY close fitting. Not tight and restrictive, but also not nearly as baggy as the average American golfer wears their clothes (think FootJoy's typical enormous US-based sizes, and why it's SO popular and top selling here). More or less a Euros-style look. I rarely mention that in my posts/reviews, as that's the way I prefer my clothes (especially tops) to fit anyway, so it's second nature to me. But I do notice it when first sizing customers PROPERLY into PING gear. Their first instinct is to find the piece on the rack that is a roomy, more baggy fit.

Posted:
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • RuleschampRuleschamp  645WRX Points: 63Members Posts: 645

No, I didn't have a "bad fit." Who said anything about baggy? I said it was bulky, two very different things. The Norse II is reasonably form fiting, just too much of the primaloft, padding or whatever you want to call it, to make it functional for ME as a golf jacket when I'm competing in tournaments or even playing a casual round of golf. We all have different preferences, and I know what MINE are. Thank you.

Posted:

On -, @Ruleschamp said:

No, I didn't have a "bad fit." Who said anything about baggy? I said it was bulky, two very different things. The Norse II is reasonably form fiting, just too much of the primaloft, padding or whatever you want to call it, to make it functional for ME as a golf jacket when I'm competing in tournaments or even playing a casual round of golf. We all have different preferences, and I know what MINE are. Thank you.

Lol. You're welcome. I wasn't saying you DID have a bad fit, just saying I've seen it happen, not just with PING. I see SO many golfers in ill-fit clothing, especially outerwear, like rain jackets, and then them mention that "it's in the way" during golf, so I mentioned that in my reply. But no one...anything (jacket, club, car, etc)...will be the perfect piece for everyone. Sucks that the Norse II didn't work for you. It's been a great jacket for many, as I've not heard anyone who has bought it do anything but praise it, similar to the original Norse. But what you do mention as a hindrance to you is one of the differences of the Norse II from the original Norse, as many people did "complain" (strong word, was more of a reoccurring minor comment on an otherwise praised design) about the lack of shape/substance of that original design. So your issue is definitely a possibility, as it's something PING definitely did differently by design on the Norse II, according to my sales rep.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

On -, @Minarets said:

How is the Norse II?

My experience with the Norse II is the complete opposite of Ruleschamp. I love the Norse II. I played with it for the first time a couple weeks ago in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds. I was both warm a and comfortable. I didn't feel that it impeded my swing at all. I wore it over a thin base layer and a golf shirt.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • payerasjlpayerasjl  814WRX Points: 94Members Posts: 814

cheapest place to get the norse?

Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying

On -, @payerasjl said:

Norse, or Norse II? Original Norse is gone, and would probably only be found 2nd hand. Norse II is currently offered, but I don’t think stock will remain much longer now that’s turning cold, and with PINGs typically conservative production numbers for apparel.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • payerasjlpayerasjl  814WRX Points: 94Members Posts: 814

hesitant to pull the trigger as my mizzy windlites are still getting the job done. although they have seen better days

Posted:
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying

On -, @payerasjl said:

Right now, it looks like it's going to be full retail at $179. I got mine from Golfbase.co.uk in September for $150. But, even there, it's up to $181 now. It doesn't appear to be available from many places anymore. If you're going to get one, you may as well get it directly from Ping.

Posted:

On -, @Bill Broderick said:

On -, @Minarets said:

How is the Norse II?

My experience with the Norse II is the complete opposite of Ruleschamp. I love the Norse II. I played with it for the first time a couple weeks ago in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds. I was both warm a and comfortable. I didn't feel that it impeded my swing at all. I wore it over a thin base layer and a golf shirt.

Holy smokes. Low 30s and 20-30 mph winds? Even if my base, core and legs were warm, my hands and face would have made me quit. Nice work. I’m too big of a wuss for that. I’ll go as low as 40° and sunny.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Minarets said:

On -, @Bill Broderick said:

On -, @Minarets said:

How is the Norse II?

Holy smokes. Low 30s and 20-30 mph winds? Even if my base, core and legs were warm, my hands and face would have made me quit. Nice work. I’m too big of a wuss for that. I’ll go as low as 40° and sunny.

Footjoy Wintersof gloves kept my hands very warm. I had mittens. But, didn't need them. I wore a knit beanie on my head as well as a base layer under a pair of Under Armour Cold Gear Infrared golf pants. I was walking using a push cart. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable I was. For the front 9, I was the only person on the course. While I was on the 9th green, a threesome pulled into the parking lot. I have to believe that the fact that I was always moving helped keep me warm. I don't know that I would have been as comfortable if I had been playing behind a slow foursome.

Posted:
  • ace036ace036  2030WRX Points: 138Members Posts: 2,030

Are there any reviews or feedback that can be shared on the new Ping Breaker jacket? How’s the performance/warmth it provides and how does the sizing/fit compare to a brand like Nike?

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 757x
    Titleist TS3 16.5° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7x
    Srixon Z U85 20° - KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85 s+
    Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54.08M (55°) - Project X 6.0
    Titleist SM7 60.12D - Project X 6.0
    Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

On -, @ace036 said:

Are there any reviews or feedback that can be shared on the new Ping Breaker jacket? How’s the performance/warmth it provides and how does the sizing/fit compare to a brand like Nike?

I’ve mentioned the Breaker a few times in this thread recently. In short, it’s not that great in terms of warmth. Nothing like the Norse II. For the minimal difference in cost, there’s no reason to get the Breaker. I’ve never even worn mine out of the house. It’s performance and in-person look is so much behind the Norse that I see no reason to. In my opinion, even the Norse II Zoned model is better at being what the Breaker is trying to be.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • rjp217rjp217 Boston, MA 345WRX Points: 98Members Posts: 345

On -, @Ghost of Snead said:

Anyone try the Adidas Frostguard jacket ?

I bought one and it’s amazing. Best piece of golf clothing I own, here’s my review....

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1791650/adidas-frostguard-1-4-zip#latest

Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 9.5* (Tensei Pro White 70TX)
    P790UDI 2 (Aldila RIP Alpha 105X)
    Mizuno MP18: MMC FH 3-4 / MMC 5-6 / SC 7-8 / MB 9-PW (KBS Tour 130X)
    Cleveland RTX4 Black 50* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    Cleveland RTX3 Raw 54* / 60* (DG TI Onyx X100)
    '18 TM O-Works 7CH (Black Steel)
  • jcvandammejcvandamme  208WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 208

So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @jcvandamme said:

So I'm finally taking the plunge and ordering a Norse II. I took a chest measurement, and I'm right at the 42" dividing line between L and XL. I know it's been previously mentioned that the Primaloft should be close to your body, but I have a bit of a gut and am worried that the L will be too tight on me. I'm kind of leaning towards the XL since I'll be wearing a layer or 2 underneath but I wanted to get opinions from people that already own one.

You're risking death by heat stroke wearing "a layer or two" under the Norse II, but with you being at the 42" mark, and wanting to wear layers, I'd go with the XL. Gives you a bit of room. You'd be at the very tip-top of the range on the Large, and again, unless you're used to wearing your clothes/tops very tailored/form fitting, it's a bit of a shock to most how fitted the PING stuff is, at least that's my experience in selling PING apparel.

As many of these as I have stockpiled at home, I'm almost tempted to do a loaner/fitting deal where I send them to members to properly fit themselves before they buy. But there are way too many risks in not getting my precious Norses back!

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1186WRX Points: 195BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,186

On -, @jcvandamme said:

I have the Norse original and I have a 42.5 inch chest and I have the large. It is very trim fit. I originally got an xl but sent it back because it was a little bigger in the waist than I wanted. You won’t have to worry much about layers underneath it. Just something thin.
    From what you described you probably would be happy with xl. Sometimes I wish my large had a little more shoulder width and longer sleeves, but I seem to play well in it and it is a euro/slim fit that stretches very well

Posted:

I don't know if the original Norse had this or not. But, the Norse II has an adjustable elastic drawstring around the waist. So, if you want to cinch it up tighter, you can.

Posted:
  • HackZoganHackZogan  85WRX Points: 42Members Posts: 85

Does the Norse II only come in two different shades of blue? No black or grey option?

Posted:

On -, @HackZogan said:

Does the Norse II only come in two different shades of blue? No black or grey option?

Just the two blues, Oxford (navy) and Snorkel (the bright blue). The original Norse was only in black, and it caught a wee bit of flack for being boring black. So, colors for the 2nd generation.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

Advertisement
  • jcvandammejcvandamme  208WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 208

Thanks for all the input guys. I went with the XL. Now I'm just praying that central PA doesn't get snow covered before it gets delivered to the course I ordered it from.

Posted:

On -, @chris975d said:

On -, @jcvandamme said:

You're risking death by heat stroke wearing "a layer or two" under the Norse II, but with you being at the 42" mark, and wanting to wear layers, I'd go with the XL. Gives you a bit of room. You'd be at the very tip-top of the range on the Large, and again, unless you're used to wearing your clothes/tops very tailored/form fitting, it's a bit of a shock to most how fitted the PING stuff is, at least that's my experience in selling PING apparel.

As many of these as I have stockpiled at home, I'm almost tempted to do a loaner/fitting deal where I send them to members to properly fit themselves before they buy. But there are way too many risks in not getting my precious Norses back!

Do you work at a course in Atlanta th at sella these? I’m in Atlanta for work. I’d love to look at them.

Posted:
  • kylesilkkylesilk PXG & Yeti  672WRX Points: 124Members Posts: 672

How does the Nike aeroloft compare to the Norse II? Btw, I'm a 41 inch chest and thinking L in the norse with an elden underneath.

Posted:
    915 D3 Diamana D+ 70S
    913f , 913h
    712u 4 iron Pro Modus 120 S
    714 CB 5,6,7...714 MB 8-P ProModus 120S
    Vokey TVD 52,60 M..TVD 56K
    Studio Select Newport 1.5

Advertisement

I have the original norse and last years aeroloft. The norse is much warmer and stretches better. the nike is a little more versatile from a temperature range(you will get too warm in the norse at times). Both fit similar. The norse is hands down the choice for more harsh weather

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.