We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Winter jacket suggestions

Comments

• bellkenbellken  831Members Posts: 831
    I don't have the Adidas Climaheat Frostguard Primaloft, but, I have the previous version - Climaheat Primaloft. It is warm, but, it isn't windproof.

btw, On Ping.com, the Norse Primaloft jacket is available in some sizes - Large, XL, and 3XL.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1173BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,173
    bellken wrote:

I don't have the Adidas Climaheat Frostguard Primaloft, but, I have the previous version - Climaheat Primaloft. It is warm, but, it isn't windproof.

btw, On Ping.com, the Norse Primaloft jacket is available in some sizes - Large, XL, and 3XL.

good catch; they just added the apparel back to the site in the last few days; here is the link for the Norse

https://ping.com/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/outerwear/norse-primaloft-jacket
    Posted:
  • MinaretsMinarets Nashville, TN 4154Members Posts: 4,154
    **** a ram. Called their customer service and asked if they planned to restock. Said there were no others on order.
    Posted:
    Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • chris975dchris975d Georgia 2001ClubWRX Posts: 2,001
    Minarets wrote:

**** a ram. Called their customer service and asked if they planned to restock. Said there were no others on order.

No, production is done at one time before the season, and that's it. That's why it's so important for us as accounts to get our orders in, because once the sell the allotted amount, it's all gone until next year, if they keep that model around. It will be coming back next year, as it's gotten such a cult following (I'd like to think I have a little hand in that!). And I don't know if it's still true after the website reworking, but the side of PING.com that sells apparel isn't/wasn't run directly by PING. It is/was a 3rd party/separate entity (just like the apparel sales on FootJoy.com), and I think they have to order from regular stock too. So you won't see them "restocking" on anything that's out of season, and technically winter outerwear is "out of season" as soon as December rolls around...we are buying for late/Spring and Summer by then.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
    When do you buy for fall/winter? End of August?
    Posted:
    Minarets wrote:

More or less, yeah. Towards the end of Summer is when we typically start prebooking for Winter, if not sooner. Depends a lot on the rep's visitation schedule as well.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

Advertisement
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade  864Members Posts: 864

bellken wrote:

good catch; they just added the apparel back to the site in the last few days; here is the link for the Norse

https://ping.com/shop/apparel/men-s-apparel/outerwear/norse-primaloft-jacket

A direct result of me ordering mine through my sister-in-law in Canada. Y'all are welcome.
    Posted:
    Ok, I now have two Ping Norse jackets, one L (which is my usual size) and one XL. Everything said about lightness and warmth is true. I find myself wearing it around the house a lot. As far as size goes, I find the L to be a problem not so much in slimness of fit as in sleeve length. The body fits fine, but the sleeves are too short. Sleeves in the XL are good, body is only slightly loose, so that’s the one I’ll probably wear golfing.

There is one other criticism. The zipper. The double slider arrangement so you can open the zipper from the bottom is flimsy and fiddly, works poorly on the XL and seems doomed to fail. A couple times I’ve thought I was going to have to just use the XL as a pullover. Not once in my life have I wished to be able to open a jacket from the bottom, so not much of a feature in my book. I guess I’ll just enjoy them as long as the zippers last and hope it’s longer than I fear.
    Posted:

Ok, I now have two Ping Norse jackets, one L (which is my usual size) and one XL. Everything said about lightness and warmth is true. I find myself wearing it around the house a lot. As far as size goes, I find the L to be a problem not so much in slimness of fit as in sleeve length. The body fits fine, but the sleeves are too short. Sleeves in the XL are good, body is only slightly loose, so that’s the one I’ll probably wear golfing.

There is one other criticism. The zipper. The double slider arrangement so you can open the zipper from the bottom is flimsy and fiddly, works poorly on the XL and seems doomed to fail. A couple times I’ve thought I was going to have to just use the XL as a pullover. Not once in my life have I wished to be able to open a jacket from the bottom, so not much of a feature in my book. I guess I’ll just enjoy them as long as the zippers last and hope it’s longer than I fear.

I've actually found, in my use anyway, that the zipper got better over time. It might just be the couple that I have that I've used for over a year now, but they do seem to be much less finicky than they were when new.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • nandersennandersen Boston, MA 182ClubWRX Posts: 182
    Ugh. I'll have to wait for next season to get a Ping Norse Primalot (not Zoned!).
    Posted:
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny  500Members Posts: 500
    Fixing and/or replacing a zipper on a jacket is a fairly routine and inexpensive task for most tailors. I wouldn’t dump an otherwise perfectly good jacket if that is the concern.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ShakesterShakester  560Members Posts: 560
    The Galvin Green Dario jacket is another option. Lightweight but keeps you super warm. Fast shipping from a european website. Usually get my stuff in a week.

https://www.function...allback-nosto-2
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 (9 degrees) Fujikara Atmos Tour Spec 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x
    Shakester wrote:

The Galvin Green Dario jacket is another option. Lightweight but keeps you super warm. Fast shipping from a european website. Usually get my stuff in a week.

I have a bunch of Galvin Green, and while I do think Galvin Green is great, their Insula material (of which the Dario is) is not comparable to the PrimaLoft equipped Norse. Insula is a base-layer, or layer on top of base-layer type garment, and offers no wind or rain protection at all. It is not windproof. The Norse is an outerwear, insulated piece that can be your only garment over just a short sleeve shirt down to mid to low 30 degrees (Fahrenheit) temps. Galvin Green no longer makes a single comparable piece to the Norse. They did several years ago, but it didn't sell well.

nandersen wrote:

Ugh. I'll have to wait for next season to get a Ping Norse Primalot (not Zoned!).

What size are you?
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4464Members Posts: 4,464
    Minarets wrote:

I have a wide selection of 1/4 zip pullovers.
    Posted:
  • buntabunta  741Members Posts: 741
    Shakester wrote:

Full zip jackets (especially the ones i like) should always have pockets ! period!
    Posted:
    TS3 / s55 / SM7 / Juno
    I did just buy two of these just because they were cheap. Not expecting miracles.

https://www.costco.com/32-Degrees-Men's-Mixed-Media-Jacket.product.100424569.html

Posted:

Advertisement
    bunta wrote:

Shakester wrote:

Full zip jackets (especially the ones i like) should always have pockets ! period!

Lol. You may actually be in the minority on that as far as golf is concerned. That's one of the biggest complaints I hear in selling people golf apparel...vast majority (I've even grown to be the same way) do NOT want front pockets on golf full size jackets. Most want that area as free of bulk and material as possible, so as not to interfere with the golf swing or during putting.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • stevopagolfstevopagolf  1493Members Posts: 1,493
    chris975d wrote:

bunta wrote:

Shakester wrote:

Lol. You may actually be in the minority on that as far as golf is concerned. That's one of the biggest complaints I hear in selling people golf apparel...vast majority (I've even grown to be the same way) do NOT want front pockets on golf full size jackets. Most want that area as free of bulk and material as possible, so as not to interfere with the golf swing or during putting.

I picked one up from Europe. Love the jacket. Lightweight and warm fit is as described so I sized up 1 size. No complaint but the zipper on the left side takes some getting used to!
    Posted:
  • buntabunta  741Members Posts: 741
    chris975d wrote:

bunta wrote:

Shakester wrote:

Lol you are lying ! We're wearing a jacket because its cold ! when its cold, our hands get cold. So where am i supposed to put my hands ?!

Dont say pants. you cant walk the entire course with your hands in your pocket.

BTW chris, did you try the Hydroknits yet ? im interested in trying one..
    Posted:
    TS3 / s55 / SM7 / Juno
    chris975d wrote:

I've actually found, in my use anyway, that the zipper got better over time. It might just be the couple that I have that I've used for over a year now, but they do seem to be much less finicky than they were when new.

Just as a data point, I walked 18 today as a cold front moved in. It was 47 degrees at 5 am when the wind started. By the time I got to the course at 11-ish it had dropped to 33, and by the time I finished (just over two and a half hours) it was 29, blowing hard with the occasional snow flurry. With a polo, fleece vest, and Norse jacket I was quite comfortable. Might have actually been ok without the vest by the end but it took at least three holes to get warmed up and loose. The course was very wet, and mud froze to my clubheads with every shot.
    Posted:
    bunta wrote:
    chris975d wrote:

bunta wrote:

Shakester wrote:

[url="https://www.function18.com/galvin-green-dario-insula-golf-jacket-blackiron.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2"]https://www.function...allback-nosto-2[/url]

Lol you are lying ! We're wearing a jacket because its cold ! when its cold, our hands get cold. So where am i supposed to put my hands ?!

Dont say pants. you cant walk the entire course with your hands in your pocket.

BTW chris, did you try the Hydroknits yet ? im interested in trying one..

Winter gloves. Duh!

I have not tried the Hydroknit yet. Should be getting one from my rep soon though. I'll definitely be posting about it as soon as I get it.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

Advertisement
  • sthompson42sthompson42 Texas42  70Members Posts: 70

chris975d wrote:

Just as a data point, I walked 18 today as a cold front moved in. It was 47 degrees at 5 am when the wind started. By the time I got to the course at 11-ish it had dropped to 33, and by the time I finished (just over two and a half hours) it was 29, blowing hard with the occasional snow flurry. With a polo, fleece vest, and Norse jacket I was quite comfortable. Might have actually been ok without the vest by the end but it took at least three holes to get warmed up and loose. The course was very wet, and mud froze to my clubheads with every shot.

Set aside what the best winter jacket is, impressive you played through the that cold with mud freezing to your clubs!
    Posted:
  • rattlergolferrattlergolfer  146Members Posts: 146
    Actually, SUNICE makes some great outwear gear. You'll should check them out ... www.sunice.com
    Posted:
    Driver: F9 - Oban Revenge
    3 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    5 Wood: F9 - Oban Revenge
    Irons: Bridgestone J15 - KBS Tour Lite C-Taper
    Wedges: Cleveland - CG
    Putter: Taylormade Spider
    Ball: < Testing >
  • ShakesterShakester  560Members Posts: 560
    If you have a Nordstrom Rack nearby, you should check it out. I was searching through the coats rack and found a Nike Aerolayer Golf jacket discounted to $70 but they didn't have my size. Only mediums and smalls. I'm a large. What I did find in my size was a Nike Aeroloft Hyperadapt jacket for $68.00. Wore it out this past weekend in cold and windy conditions and it kept me pretty warm. Warm enough that I had to take off my mid layer and I was still toasty.

You can also find other Nike and Ted Baker golf apparel there as well if you take the time to look around.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 (9 degrees) Fujikara Atmos Tour Spec 
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1x
    It's almost time for winter jackets not to be needed, at least here in our area, but I did want to pop in and say that I just got to handle (and order!) the Fall 2019 Norse II, the successor to the Norse from the past two seasons that a lot of us have been raving about in several threads here. I have loved the original Norse, but the styling on the Norse II just makes a good jacket look great! It is a bit heavier now, but the jacket has such a better shape and hang in the new styling. A very stylish jacket to wear on and off course. Coming in a deep navy blue, and a brighter blue. They will be sold out late Spring as usual, so if you're interested you need to get your PING account to order their stock soon!
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • portlandportland  1077Members Posts: 1,077
    chris975d wrote:

It's almost time for winter jackets not to be needed, at least here in our area, but I did want to pop in and say that I just got to handle (and order!) the Fall 2019 Norse II, the successor to the Norse from the past two seasons that a lot of us have been raving about in several threads here. I have loved the original Norse, but the styling on the Norse II just makes a good jacket look great! It is a bit heavier now, but the jacket has such a better shape and hang in the new styling. A very stylish jacket to wear on and off course. Coming in a deep navy blue, and a brighter blue. They will be sold out late Spring as usual, so if you're interested you need to get your PING account to order their stock soon!

Can you share any photos? DM me if so.

The original Norse is fantastic as we all know.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M1 10.5*
    Callaway GBB Epic 15*
    Callaway XR 19*
    Taylormade p790 5-P,A
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
    Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1173BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,173
    chris975d wrote:

are they changing the sizing up to be more inline with other US brands?
    Posted:
    chris975d wrote:

are they changing the sizing up to be more inline with other US brands?

No. Outerwear will remain same sizing. And so will polos, even though those are on US based sizing.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • dcfasdcfas Tempus Fugit  938Members Posts: 938
    Posted:

Advertisement
    dcfas wrote:

No. That’s the current zoned Norse. It’s not fully insulated. That one is also getting an update though. Not my favorite Norse model, but the new one will look much better.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.