Winter jacket suggestions

Comments

• JoelsimJoelsim  1347Members Posts: 1,347

My go-to winter jacket is a Kjus Radiation jacket. It’s certainly not thick but is very stretchy so I layer up underneath it. Last winter I played down to minus 5C with a baselayer, a 1/4 zip and that on top, obviously with a snood and hat too. Perfect. On its own it’s probably the most comfortable jacket I’ve ever owned, ideal for golf. I walk rather than buggy so that in itself keeps me a bit warmer, it’s not quite so effective when sitting outside a pub for a few hours.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cortino 2 (Piretti Grip), Kronos Mandala (G-Rip Fat Wave)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • tropicstropics  90Members Posts: 90

You have / had a Pro 3 L jacket before, right? How would you compare the two?
    Anyone have any "in the wild" pics of the Pro 3L or thoughts to share? Considering a purchase but there is nowhere nearby I can try one out.

Posted:

@tropics said:
    You have / had a Pro 3 L jacket before, right? How would you compare the two?
    Anyone have any "in the wild" pics of the Pro 3L or thoughts to share? Considering a purchase but there is nowhere nearby I can try one out.

Completely different. The Pro 3L is a waterproof, the Radiation a warm outer layer.

With regard to sizing in both, I’m a 42” chest, 34” waist, 5’10” tall and I take a 52. I could probably squeeze into a 50 but prefer to have a little room to layer up underneath. The Pro 3L has adjustable straps in the pockets that you can use to tighten around your midriff should you need to.

Posted:
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cortino 2 (Piretti Grip), Kronos Mandala (G-Rip Fat Wave)

OK thanks. I expect the Pro 3L is more what I'm looking for, I run a bit warm so it would be more for rain protection than heat.

Posted:
  • ShakesterShakester  555Members Posts: 555

For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

https://www.function18.com/sunice-hamilton-hybrid-jacket-s72001-midnight.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

For much colder weather, they also have the Forbes Thermal Insulated jacket for $108.

https://www.function18.com/sunice-forbes-thermal-insulated-jacket-s62007-black-scarlet.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade P790 2 Iron UDI
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • CousinDonutsCousinDonuts  32Members Posts: 32

Does anyone have the RLX hybrid jackets?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • alpinetoalpineto  99Members Posts: 99

I just ordered the Norse PrimaLoft 2 jacket from ping $200 jeesh Ping you think you could throw in the free shipping
    I know people ordered from the U.K but I needed it in a small and I believe the U.K site doesn't carry it in a small so I bit the bullet
    I'll let you know what I think when I get it .

Posted:
  • buntabunta  735Members Posts: 735

@alpineto said:
    I just ordered the Norse PrimaLoft 2 jacket from ping $200 jeesh Ping you think you could throw in the free shipping
    I know people ordered from the U.K but I needed it in a small and I believe the U.K site doesn't carry it in a small so I bit the bullet

thats how i feel about Ping sometimes; organized mafia. They dont let the account holders sell below what they specify. Discount/price drops are laughable if they even exist. They dont let them include free shipping with any of their stuff even when the entire retail site offers free shipping above certain amount. Ive seen 4 yr old model Ping clothing still at 10% below msrp. smh. And to add salt to wound, all their clothing fits like sh*t. Everytime i got a clothing piece i end up sending it back and losing on shipping. i dropped off 3 almost new polos last season in a Red Cross bin knowing i couldve made a few dollars back just to avoid complaints from buyers. I honestly felt like i bought counterfeited Ping clothing lol.

The only piece im truly greatful for, and i mean over the moon greatful is the original Norse. That thing is the single best winter (~40 degrees) outerlayer i own. Polo underneath and Norse over it and i am seriously good for 150 holes if i want.

Posted:
    TS3 / s55 / SM7 / Juno

@bunta said:

@alpineto said:

thats how i feel about Ping sometimes; organized mafia. They dont let the account holders sell below what they specify. Discount/price drops are laughable if they even exist. They dont let them include free shipping with any of their stuff even when the entire retail site offers free shipping above certain amount. Ive seen 4 yr old model Ping clothing still at 10% below msrp. smh. And to add salt to wound, all their clothing fits like sh*t. Everytime i got a clothing piece i end up sending it back and losing on shipping. i dropped off 3 almost new polos last season in a Red Cross bin knowing i couldve made a few dollars back just to avoid complaints from buyers. I honestly felt like i bought counterfeited Ping clothing lol.

The only piece im truly greatful for, and i mean over the moon greatful is the original Norse. That thing is the single best winter (~40 degrees) outerlayer i own. Polo underneath and Norse over it and i am seriously good for 150 holes if i want.

You don’t have to buy Ping, there are other brands available.

Posted:

@CousinDonuts said:

I have a similar one from a couple of seasons ago. No water protection so I don't use it for golf but it is a great casual jacket. The zip is notoriously weak unfortunately... sometimes I have to wiggle mine for a minute to get it to close. Maybe the newer models have fixed this issue.

Posted:
  • GoStarsGoStars  453Members Posts: 453

I have the Zero Restriction Z600 from last year, and it’s great. It’s also awesome looking in Navy.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • UnteachableUnteachable North Mississippi 1147BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,147

@bunta said:

@alpineto said:

From my understanding with clothes ping has a minimum advertised price but they can be sold for less. My Norse and my ping rain pants were both about $50 less each buying from the pro shop vs pings site. I just told him to order expecting to pay full price and when it came in he told me got approval to sell at the lower price from the rep

Posted:
  • jjmurryjjmurry Washington, DC 202Members Posts: 202

@Dr.Frankenputz said:
    Anyone have experience with the ping breaker jacket? Guessing it’s not as warm as the Norse but I like the look better.

Did you ever pull the trigger on getting the Ping Breaker? I'm looking around for the Norse but have really struggled to find much. The Breaker looks better to my eye as well. Hoping for feedback!

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST - Tensei CK Orange 65X
    Titleist TS2 3W - Diamana ZF 75TX
    Titleist U510 - Project X HZRDZ Smoke Black 85g 6.5
    JPX 900 Tour PW-4i - C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM7 - 52*, 56*, 60* - C-Taper 130x
    Tommy Armour Impact #3
    Snell MTB-X
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5479Members Posts: 5,479

@CousinDonuts said:

I do, I have two of them. I think that they are great. There really seems to be nothing to them and it’s amazing how warm they keep you given that. I do have warmer jackets but love my two Cool Wool jackets. I wear them both more than anything else. They are also brilliant for layering items underneath.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz  797Members Posts: 797

@jjmurry said:

@Dr.Frankenputz said:
    Anyone have experience with the ping breaker jacket? Guessing it’s not as warm as the Norse but I like the look better.

Did you ever pull the trigger on getting the Ping Breaker? I'm looking around for the Norse but have really struggled to find much. The Breaker looks better to my eye as well. Hoping for feedback!

No, haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Other than pings website it’s a pain to find in my size & a little nervous about possibly having to return. Will write a little something here if I end up getting it.

Posted:
  • vishkarchaudharyvishkarchaudhary  6Members Posts: 6

For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

For much colder weather, they also have the Forbes Thermal Insulated jacket for $108.

I have the Sunice jacket and yeah it’s very comfortable. I also like most of my jackets water repellent so I consider it a steal at 75 bucks. Bought two actually just in case the first one wears out fast

Posted:

Advertisement

@MattyO1984 said:

@CousinDonuts said:

I do, I have two of them. I think that they are great. There really seems to be nothing to them and it’s amazing how warm they keep you given that. I do have warmer jackets but love my two Cool Wool jackets. I wear them both more than anything else. They are also brilliant for layering items underneath.

Are the sleeves stretchy enough that the jacket can be worn over a long sleeved shirt, or so tight that only short sleeves under? I've never owned one of these hybrids and every time I look it seems like I see a next to skin sleeve fit, almost like something you would wear in lieu of a half-zip.

Posted:
    Post edited by CousinDonuts on
  • zmosnotzmosnot  54Members Posts: 54

Sunice rain gear is way underrated.

Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5479Members Posts: 5,479

@CousinDonuts said:

@MattyO1984 said:

@CousinDonuts said:

Are the sleeves stretchy enough that the jacket can be worn over a long sleeved shirt, or so tight that only short sleeves under? I've never owned one of these hybrids and every time I look it seems like I see a next to skin sleeve fit, almost like something you would wear in lieu of a half-zip.

I certainly find them to be. I will quite often wear them away from the course with a jumper underneath.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • 4puttJohnny4puttJohnny  500Members Posts: 500

I've found the RLX hybrid to be very good for cool, but not cold rounds. By "cool," I mean 45+ degrees, relatively calm conditions and sun out. It was not very effective at 40 degrees, cloudy and north winds. It was stretchy enough for me to wear over a polo and thin enough to serve as a mid layer on those extra cold days less than 40 degrees, 25 mph winds and cloudy. I have 3 and found all 3 on half price after winter sales over the past couple of years. But, everyone's body and cold factor are different so some may be able to wear them effectively in 30 degree temps and some may say 50 is as low as they would go.

Posted:

@4puttJohnny said:
    I've found the RLX hybrid to be very good for cool, but not cold rounds. By "cool," I mean 45+ degrees, relatively calm conditions and sun out. It was not very effective at 40 degrees, cloudy and north winds. It was stretchy enough for me to wear over a polo and thin enough to serve as a mid layer on those extra cold days less than 40 degrees, 25 mph winds and cloudy. I have 3 and found all 3 on half price after winter sales over the past couple of years. But, everyone's body and cold factor are different so some may be able to wear them effectively in 30 degree temps and some may say 50 is as low as they would go.

Thx for including temp info and wear.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • FestivusMiracleFestivusMiracle  109ClubWRX Posts: 109

anyone try the puma quilted primaloft ?

Posted:
    Callaway Epic - Evenflow Blue 65 S
    TM M2 - Kuro Kage 75S
    Titleist 816 H2 - Rogue 85 S
    Apex (4,5,6)/Pro (7,8,9,P) - KBS tour S
    vokey(raw50F, 54F, 58S)
    Mannkrafted LN MA/66

So I bought the ping breaker and a Galvin Green Lyon jacket. Have had the GG a few weeks, just got the ping yesterday. Ping grey is a little darker than in the pictures. Both are slimmer than the US adidas, under Armour, etc as expected. Have had the GG out a few times in 40’s & 50’s & is comfortable. Ping’s sleeves aren’t quite as warm but fine this morning in 45 degree weather for a 20 minute walk with the dog. Ping’s sleeves are a hair tight with base layer under, will probably loosen up a hair after using a few times. Overall the GG seems a little more versatile & is wind proof (as expected from $$ difference & gore liner)but I’ll use both. Both aren’t as warm (as expected) as my old Mizuno windlite/warmalite sweaters. If I was going for pure warmth I’d go Ping Norse based on other reviews here but these are both good options for cool, windy weather.

Posted:
  • b2bbirdiesb2bbirdies  112Members Posts: 112

+1 on Kjus. Great winter gear

Posted:

Horrible day today, just rain, rain and more rain. Everything which wasn’t covered by Kjus was drenched.

Posted:
  • Deluxe186Deluxe186  78Members Posts: 78

anything buy footjoy

Posted:

Advertisement
  • howaboutmehowaboutme Fairfax, VA 168Members Posts: 168

For those that wear the Sunice jacket, how is the fit? Do they run true or small? I typically wear a medium golf shirt and when measuring chest I'm at the top end of medium. Trying to decide which would be best.

Thanks!

Posted:
  • atmorrow13atmorrow13  11Members Posts: 11

Arc'teryx Cerium vest when it's 45-60 degrees outside. Arc'teryx Covert 1/2 Zip when it's colder.

Posted:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 9°, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6S shaft
    Long Irons: Titleist U510 1 iron 16°, AMT Red S300 shaft; Callaway Rogue X 18.5° "4 iron," DG S300 shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 23°, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8S shafts
    Irons: Titleist MB 716, 5-PW, DG S300 stiff
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 Black 52° (8° bounce, F Grind), 56° (10° bounce S Grind). 62° SM7 Brushed Steel (8° bounce, M grind)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6, SuperStroke Counter Slim 2.0
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Grips: Golf Pride MCC +4.

@atmorrow13 said:
    Arc'teryx Cerium vest when it's 45-60 degrees outside. Arc'teryx Covert 1/2 Zip when it's colder.

Agree they make great stuff. I have an atom lt vest that’s extremely versatile, stretchy side panels.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • atmorrow13atmorrow13  11Members Posts: 11

@Dr.Frankenputz said:

@atmorrow13 said:

Agree they make great stuff. I have an atom lt vest that’s extremely versatile, stretchy side panels.

Also a great item! I'm planning to wear my Atom LT vest on Saturday. Unfortunately, because they are alpine-focused, they don't make a pant that translates well for golf.

Posted:

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 9°, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6S shaft
    Long Irons: Titleist U510 1 iron 16°, AMT Red S300 shaft; Callaway Rogue X 18.5° "4 iron," DG S300 shaft
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 23°, Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8S shafts
    Irons: Titleist MB 716, 5-PW, DG S300 stiff
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 Black 52° (8° bounce, F Grind), 56° (10° bounce S Grind). 62° SM7 Brushed Steel (8° bounce, M grind)
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6, SuperStroke Counter Slim 2.0
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X Triple Track
    Grips: Golf Pride MCC +4.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file