Do you think you will be playing golf the rest of your life? Tell us why?

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    I hope so. Bout to pay $10k for a private + yearly. If I end up hating golf in a few years I better take up swimming and working out to make up for it.
    Long Live Nike
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,582 ✭✭
    Since I'm hoping to die on the golf course, I guess so.
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭
    I was by myself and paired with this nice old guy with a puff of silver hair. He had a bag full of woods and hybrids and hit it 50 yards or so.

The kind of player who was so bad, his ball retriever needed to be regripped.

But, he played fast and just kept moving down the fairways.

After a few holes, I told him that I hoped I could be out here playing like him when I was age.

Turned out he was two years younger than me.

I think I’ll be ok.
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • mjfornmjforn Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Just turned 63 been at it since I retired , 6 years now. Really got the bug since then, lessons, new clubs, net in the garage. Wish the wife and kids would appreciate it as much as I do. I Play with a few 80+ guys once in a while, plan on keeping the trend going in 15 years.

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    Matt

Callaway GBB Epic 9*

Callaway Rogue Graphite R-Flex 4-AW

Cleveland CBX 52*, 56*, 60*

Odyssey Works SS #1 Putter

Ammo:
    K 3s
    Titleist Tour Soft
    Titliest NXT s
    K Sigs (in the shag bag)

• joker2joker2 Posts: 378 ✭✭
    Why not?
    Just say'in...
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,055 ✭✭
    Soloman1 wrote:

Now that's funny Soloman1, in my 50+ years of playing golf, I've never heard that one.... image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />
  • tommgtommg Posts: 131 ✭✭
    Plan to but it hurts more all the time, wonky back. The game is a lot more work now but I do love it. Not so long ago was breaking 80 consistently now am very happy to break 90. More and more 3 shot par 4s but still love being out there with the boys and with nature. Funny I’ve been thinking about going for a fitting and buying a $$$ bag, probably the last I will buy.
  • NJpatbeeNJpatbee Posts: 1,484 ✭✭
    That is the plan. I am 66 now and will play as long as I am alive and physically able to.
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,446 ✭✭

Soloman1 wrote:

Now that's funny Soloman1, in my 50+ years of playing golf, I've never heard that one.... image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

I hope you find a way to use that this weekend. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,205 ✭✭
    As an old guy I spend a lot of time with Tiffany and Bamby. I try and squeeze in a few rounds here and there. They are relentless though for Dr. Love's love. So after some super squeeze'in I try and squeeze some 18 in. Dig.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • alfridayalfriday Members Posts: 456 ✭✭
    I hope so. I bought a lifetime membership to my club 20 years ago and I plan to get my monies worth.

As an aside: I have several acquaintances that have had major health problems and still play. One playing partner had a stroke about 5 years ago. He wasn't able to play the full course for a couple of years, so we started playing a best ball on Sundays. He could still chip and putt to contribute to the team. Where there is a will, there is a way.

The best ball continues, even though he is capable of playing full rounds. We call it "Geriatric Golf." All the players except me are over 70. (I'm 60). We play the senior tees, which makes for a different course for me. The guys drink beer and play some good golf on occasion, but a lot of mediocre golf. No one really cares about the score. The main thing is the guys get out and enjoy the course without the pressure of playing their own ball.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,951 ✭✭
    NJpatbee wrote:

That is the plan. I am 66 now and will play as long as I am alive and physically able to.

Same for me...….only I'm only 65.5 years old right now. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • easyjay39402easyjay39402 Members Posts: 35
    My brother-in-law’s father made a hole-in-one at age 91, still walking 9 holes three days a week. He remains passionate about the game, it keeps him mentally alert as well as physically fit.

Not a bad way to go out ...
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,477 ✭✭
    I am 60 and started playing in my late twenties. I only practice chipping/putting to save my body for playing. No more 4x a week driving range trips, sometimes I will hit a few balls before I play. I intend to play as long as my body allows me to. I still play 3 times a week.

It's one of my passions in life although when I retire, I intend to pursue others.
    Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
    Taylor Made TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 Putter
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,055 ✭✭
    Conrad1953 wrote:

NJpatbee wrote:

Same for me...….only I'm only 65.5 years old right now. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

65.5 ....you crack me up Rad, my grandson told me it was his half birthday (maybe I'll get him a half wedge) image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':tongue:' />
  • MalvernMalvern Posts: 415 ✭✭
    I have always thought being able to shoot your age would be a massive achievement, telling you a number of things, you are alive in your 70s, fit and still playing golf.

Golf has been a constant for 40 years, don't see that changing.
  • nyrican52884nyrican52884 Posts: 89 ✭✭
    Of course. And maybe later in life I'll have the wisdom not to take it so seriously and play for fun and not with the intention of getting better.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,762 ✭✭
    Malvern wrote:

I have always thought being able to shoot your age would be a massive achievement, telling you a number of things, you are alive in your 70s, fit and still playing golf.

Golf has been a constant for 40 years, don't see that changing.

I heard someone ask a 75-year-old guy at my club if he'd ever shot better than his age. He said, "If the day ever comes I can't shoot my age I'll quit".

Wish I were good at golf.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Stared swinging when i was 3-4 (33 now) and ill keep swinging till the day i physically cant. Its one form of meditation for me. Seems the less serious i take golf when playing the lower i can go. Plus its good exercise.
  • 80sFredriksson80sFredriksson Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Hopefully, 38 years old now, been playing for 9years, can't see me stopping unless the body can't take it anymore.
  • Timbo929Timbo929 Posts: 388 ✭✭
    As someone previously posted, if the Lord will's:

Yes, I will surely go out swinging.

I want to pass this gift to the generations after me starting with my 2 daughters. Hope they will become a dominating force in the LPGA so after I retire, I can enjoy walking and watching them week to week. I really enjoy watching my 1 and 3 year old girls develop and grow in every way, I can only image how enjoyable it would be to watch the develop and grow in golf.
  • onelochevyonelochevy Posts: 188 ✭✭
    I have a 4 year old that loves the game and a 1 year old that I hope will love it as well. Im hoping to make golf a big part of my kid's life.
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    I will play as long as I feel I can play to my expectations. You will not see me stooped over hitting 30 yard worm burners. But I will be a fan of the game for life.
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Yep. 58 now having played since age 6 and don't plan to stop. I love the game.
  • KaysquareKaysquare Puppyluv Members Posts: 2,166 ✭✭
    Of course I plan to play golf as long as I'm able and enjoy it. Who knows how old I'll be, but none of us know that. I hope I have to good sense to quit the game when/if I become a burden to my fellow golfers. I've played with too many women who need a nursemaid because they cannot see the ball, where it goes, which ball is their's, or they're too slow to keep up with everyone. Another thing...they cannot keep their score either. It's time to quit when you've reached that point.
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,440 ✭✭
    Yes and why not.
    Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip
  • baudibaudi Posts: 641 ✭✭
    First time I picked up a club was 42 years ago. Ever since that day I enjoy the process of learning the game.

To be honest, I find playing quite boring or annoying. Somehow play is too rigid in its defined characteristics to enjoy.

• BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    I'll play for as long as physically possible along with other outdoor activities. But it won't define my leisure time.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I expect to play for a long time but also expect that I will need to take some time off to help my son and daughter with their sports.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,292 ✭✭
    After the aquifers are drained and the Second Drying has happened, golf will effectively cease as a general recreation.

About 90 years from now.

We have only ourselves to blame.
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck