Do you think you will be playing golf the rest of your life? Tell us why?

Comments

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,604 ✭✭
    38 years of playing, almost 51. I hope the back holds out and I can play until I drop
    Ping G400 LST 11* Mitsu TI BB Matte 53x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* Mitsu Blueboard 63x
    Ping G400 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Callaway V-series Hwood Fuji TS 8.2s
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Fujikura 904HBs
    Ping Rapture 5-PW Aldila NV MLTi Pro105x
    Ping iWedge 50* Aldila NV 105x
    Ping Glide SS 53* & ES 59* Wrx SF125s
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,366 ClubWRX

In all honesty I don't expect to.

Upcoming life changes are going to likely cause a big drop in the amount of time available for play. And with the expected drop in level of play that will likely come hand in hand with the fewer rounds, I just don't see myself continuing. I hope I'm wrong.

And yes, I am very much a pessimist!

Here's hoping you are wrong!
  • SavageCySavageCy Members Posts: 133 ✭✭
    Golf is life
    TS3 9.5* w Evenflow T-1100 White 6.0
    '17 M1 15* w Hzrdus Black 6.0
    716 T-MB 3 w AD 95X
    716 T-MB 4 w C Taper Lite X
    916AP2 5-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0/TM DJ Spider w SS Pistol GT 2.0/Studio Stainless Newport 2 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭
    Do you think you will be playing golf the rest of your life?

Yes.

Tell us why?

I stay healthy, eat right and have put golf into perspective. It doesn’t hurt to use the toilet, just yet. I play mostly for enjoyment and can get around any track from any tee boxes. (one exception - Augusta from the Masters tees. You see according to scientific studies, not even a scratch player could break 100 from those tees).
  • MignuzMignuz Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I'm afraid I won't play golf for the rest of my life.

2 reasons:

1 - I'm having back and hip problems even if I'm still quite young (44) and I'm afraid I'll have more heath problems in the future;

2 - I'm not sure I'd enjoy golf not being able to reach par 4 in 2 shots or hitting driver from the tee on par 3s.
  • SurfDufferSurfDuffer Posts: 3,008 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 4, 2018 #67
    I just turned 49. This year I've been plagued by injuries. Now I'm pain free and can play but its as if the addiction to golf has been broken. I've been able to play for about two months but I have little desire. For 15 years I practiced or played 5 or 6 days a week most of the year. Now that I'm pain free a lot of my power is gone and there is a lot of rust. One thing is for sure, I get no enjoyment out of playing bad golf. My only 18 hole round since coming back was an 84 and I've shot in the low 40s for 9 a couple of times. Scrambling the whole time. My expectations are much higher than that. I could easily see me walking away as I really don't enjoy playing poorly.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Titleist 915 D2 60gX Rogue Silver
    Titleist 906F2 13* ProForce V2 90gX
    Titleist 690mb 2-P 6.0PX
    Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*
    SeeMore FPG Putter
  • kleydejongkleydejong Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Yes.

Golf checks a lot of boxes for me. Relaxing and refreshing. Competitive at times. The golf swing can be studied and improved endlessly, and I like to study things. I have some family and friends nearby that also play, so I can use it to maintain those relationships. I recently shot my best round of my entire life, and as someone who used to play a lot of sports (basketball and football) that you 'age out' of - golf is much more accessible for longer.
    Taylormade M3
    Titleist 913F 15*
    Adams Pro 18* / 24*
    Maltby DBM 5-PW
    Maltby M-Series + 50*
    Maltby M-Series + 54*
    Mizuno S18 60*
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil-Spec Newport
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,095 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

Yes.

Tell us why?

I stay healthy, eat right and have put golf into perspective. It doesn’t hurt to use the toilet, just yet. I play mostly for enjoyment and can get around any track from any tee boxes. (one exception - Augusta from the Masters tees. You see according to scientific studies, not even a scratch player could break 100 from those tees).

And telling bad (OK sometimes funny) jokes on wrx will help keep you young image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • bullie76bullie76 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    I'm working on my 52nd year of golf so no reason to stop now. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    My senior bag.......
    Taylormade M2(2016) 9.5* driver reg
    Taylormade RBZ 13* 3 wood reg
    Adams TL2 - FW 16* 4 wood & 3,4 hybrids reg
    Ping G 6-pw(power lofts), i200 U wedge(49*).....CFS graphite reg
    Ping Glide 54/58 ss reg
    Ping Craz-E putter
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,613 ClubWRX

Ferguson wrote:

Yes.

Tell us why?

And telling bad (OK sometimes funny) jokes on wrx will help keep you young image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

No BD, it’s Fergie’s adoration of Phil that is going keep him young!��
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • easyjay39402easyjay39402 Members Posts: 35
    About 15 years ago, when my physical abilities were clearly on the wane, I told myself that I would not want to continue playing once I could no longer maintain a single-digit index. Well, here I am at 17.3, but still playing. I still enjoy the game, but for different reasons now. So, I’ve given up trying to predict how my perspective on the game will change going forward ...
  • Knuckles52Knuckles52 Members Posts: 15
    Yes. I like to challenge myself mentally and I like being out there alone just me and some sticks.
    Titleist 917 D2 -
    Titleist 910 F2 3H 15*
    Callaway X-20 4-PW
    Nike 50* Wedge
    Ping Hoofer 14 way (2016)

New golfer (July 2018)

Golf is like a love affair. If you don’t take it seriously, It’s no fun; If you do take it seriously, it breaks your heart.
    ~Arthur Daley
  • blehnhardblehnhard Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side Posts: 489 ✭✭
    I am almost 76. Retired in July 2009. Currently healthy and playing 3 to 4 times per week. Had some physical issues. Right hip replacement in May 2016, started playing 6 weeks after surgery, but it was 5 or 6 months before I was back to full strength. Had a bad case of sciatica that began early August last year. Could barely walk (pain in back and both legs) for 3.5 months. When I started back up in late Nov., I was only able to make 1/2 swings and it was late April this year that I felt somewhat "normal".

I plan to play as long as I am healthy. Currently play Men's White tees (courses from 6100 to 6500 yds) with no issues and handicap stays right about scratch (+1 to 1). Not sure how I will adjust mentally to "worse" golf as age continues to slowly take its toll on strength and flexibility.

I shoot pool once or twice a week for 2 to 3 hours. I also enjoy reading and just relaxing. My wife (also retired) and I enjoy cards with friends on an almost weekly basis, take several trips a year, and enjoy grandkids (11) and great grandkids (4). Live in an active adult community (no golf course) and you can be as busy as you want to be.
  • FSUMarkFSUMark Members Posts: 14
    I hope so! I've only been playing 2 years, but at 30 I like to think I have a lot of time left! Wife is already on board for buying a house on a golf course when we retire!
  • Sun DevilSun Devil Posts: 1,366 ✭✭
    Yes. But it's not just the golf itself. For myself ... it is the bantering and BS that I enjoy with my golf buddies. So yes .... I plan to golf as long as I am able. Not sure why anyone would say no to this question. Golf is a game that can be played once a month or multiple times a week.
    Titleist 910 D2 Diamana Stiff
    M2 HL 3wood
    Ping G25 hybrid TourAd UT-85s
    Callaway Apex CF16 Irons with Aerotech Steel Fiber I95 Stiff; Soft Stepped; +1/2"; flat 1 degree
    Cleveland Wedges 50,56,60 with Nippon N.S.Pro 1050GH S
    Ping Sigma G Tyne Putter
    ProV1
  • rochestergolfer36rochestergolfer36 Members Posts: 61
    Absolutely...played multiple competitive sports growing up and I knew golf was the only one I could keep playing competitive after college so I went that route. Old man hockey league is nothing like competitive golf tournaments where I can still play against young college kids etc
  • tehutitehuti tehuti Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    I hope I will continue. I pretty much walked away from the game for nearly 20 years until last year, when I came back with a vengeance. At 60 years old I don’t expect to ever be a “good” golfer, but I do expect to get better at it, and this time I am willing to put in the time.
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Posts: 606 ✭✭
    until I turn to dust.

then my pals will probably leave a portion of me in the trap next to number fifteen green.

I drop in often. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • walter2312walter2312 Posts: 109 ✭✭
    48 year old. Played soccer, basketball, and baseball in high school. Had major knee injury playing college soccer and golf showed up in my life. Filled the need for competitiveness and fell in love with the game.

As long as i can play i will.....
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 8,961 ✭✭
    No. If/when I end up as a bogey golfer I'm taking that as a sign it's time to hang them up and I'll do just that.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    Playing (walking) 6K+ course five times a week at 73 years with my wife (she's 64). I've been playing for more than 50-years. We both play to 10-12 handicaps and see no reason to ever stop playing. Yes, health issues are rising, but trying hard to stay out of the wheelchairs (golf carts). I know the day will come that I must ride, but trying hard to delay it. Had 8 RFA treatments on my back this year and have less pain.

Hit a shot today that was so pure, can't wait to try to repeat it tomorrow.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Will play as long as The Big Man Upstairs lets me. Reasons have all been posted here already...really do enjoy the game, but really love the time spent with the right people on the course.
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Posts: 977 ✭✭
    I would like to think so but only the Lord knows if I will.
  • shakeyshakey OvenWRX 1 Members Posts: 5,687 ✭✭
    I want to say “yes” but I honestly have no idea. We’ll go with I’m planning on it. I’m 40 and my son loves to go play when we can. Kid #2 is due in December so I can hope that one day he’ll want to play as well. Both of them playing will serve as motivation to stay in the game.

My dad is a guy that I thought would play until he died, but he recently quit playing. Said he didn’t care about it anymore.
    TM M6 10.5 w/PX Evenflow Blue 65 Stiff
    TM M4 3HL w/Diamana D+ Ltd 70 Stiff
    NIKE VR Pro II Hybrid 3 (21) w/PX Graphite 5.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW w/Modus 120 Stiff

TM Milled Grind Black 52 SB and 58 LB w/Modus Tour 125 Wedge
    TM TP Black Copper Mullen 2

TM TP5x
  • 48 yrs old now, introduced to the game at age 10. had two kids within the past 9 years and my golf playing nearly went away entirely. kids getting older now so i'm reclaiming my spare time and playing more again finally.
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,066 ClubWRX
    I'll be 69 next month. The game's value changes as you get older. Also technology rocks. I am longer and straighter than I have ever been, and I can still sink a putt. Golf is a creative solo game, where success is relative and the rewards keep coming. I think that as long as you can keep your imagination and visual fantasy about the game, you will never leave it and be ultimately grateful for its contribution to shaping a good life.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WIMB[/font]
    PING G30 SF Tec 10* reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips
    [/font][/font]
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    I’m 51, retired, but too early for me to say. As long as I enjoy it, I’ll continue to play. I enjoy other activities a bit more, so golf is not the only thing I do. I play guitar, I love hiking, I do competition shooting, and I teach firearms among other things.

Plenty on my plate to dedicate to one thing only, but I do enjoy golf.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • SolidstrikeSolidstrike Members Posts: 301
    I never even considered that one day I would stop playing golf. It’s a passion, not a hobby.
    Callaway XR Pro 9.5
    Titleist 915 F2 15
    Titleist 913F 19
    Mizuno MP 57
    Mizuno T7 50
    Mizuno T7 55
    Callaway PM 60
    Odyssey #1
  • bblack_91240bblack_91240 Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Even when my life gets crazy busy and chaotic, I try to find time to get out. The wife just doesn’t get it. At least once a month if I can’t do once a week. I have 2 boys and a 3 on the way. At 3 and 1 1/2 they already have toy clubs. They love it already. Even if I play poorly (mostly from not playing enough) it’s only a day or two after that I want to get back out there. The golf bug is a tough one to shake!
    WITB
    TaylorMade M3 460 9.5° - Fujikura Speeder Motore TS 7.2X
    TaylorMade M3 3wd 15° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X
    TaylorMade M3 5wd 19° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Iron (19°) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie HM4 105X (Sans 5wd)
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Nike Engage Wedges
    52° Square
    56° Square
    60° Dual Sole
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Putter 35"
  • msgmsg Posts: 314 ✭✭
    I will play as long as my body can. I started when I was 12 and I am now 35. It will be a very sad day when the day comes that I cannot play anymore.