Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Just found my source of back pain...

12346»

Comments

• radimanradiman  4724Posted: Members Posts: 4,724
    Is anyone familiar with something called Non-surgical Spinal Decompression? The chiro that I just came from is highly recommending it. He says he has had roughly a 90% success rate with his patients. The thing is, it's $70 a treatment and insurance will not cover it. The first 4 weeks would be 3 visits a week. So, roughly $840 on something that I don't really know much about.

I did go through one session of it to see how I responded. It was not bad. I actually feel a little better. A little more range of motion. I was hoping someone could speak to their own experience with it.
    Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
    So, after as much digging as a guy can do in 4 hours, I am really leaning towards not doing this treatment. For one, I'm starting to doubt that the central pain I'm having is really the disc. I think it may be the facet syndrome on the right side. Mainly, the specific movement seems to go against what one would see with a disc issue. It hurts when I go into extension, not flexion. I can bend forward all day with little issue.

With the success that I've had on my left side, I think I may give it a little more time to heal and consult the Dr again about the right side. If a branch block on my right side allows me to go into extension, I think I would have my answer.

From there, it may be a matter of really strengthening my core. At that point, I could really start squatting and dead lifting again.

I'm actually planning on going to the gym tonight to do some light deadlifts with a trap bar to see how my back responds.
    Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    Well, I managed to do deadlifts today without killing my back. Just eased into it and really focused on keeping my back neutral. Not too much extension and no flexion. With a trap bar I only pushed it up to 235 for 3 sets of 5 reps. I have been babying my back for so long on doctors orders. It's amazing how much strength those muscles lost.

So, my plan for now is to keep working these in. Keep the weight low and just retrain those muscles. Not trying to set any records, just rehab for now. I'll also be avoiding anything that calls for excessive extension of the back. Squats will be back. But, I'm going to hold off for a couple weeks to see how I respond to deadlifts.

I'm also going to look into this DDP yoga. If it's good enough for Diamond Dallas Page, then it's good enough for me image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT  7198Posted: Members Posts: 7,198
    lagwagon23 wrote:

cardoustie wrote:

lagwagon23 wrote:

I just wanted to throw this in there. Most people have inflammation and from time to time bulging discs, that most the time is normal wear and tear and aging. I had a MRI and was told the same thing by the doctor (he threw in Stenosis and 2 bulging discs), went to a surgeon and and he wanted to fuse my l4/l5.

I found a good Physical Therapist, and he disagreed with the doctor and surgeon. He said it was piriformis syndrome, I started physical therapy for it. The foam roller was excruciatingly painful. I also did exercise for my lower back, mostly yoga stretches. After 2 weeks I felt great, my right foot numbness was gone, now I play pain free. I even have regained all of my swing speed back.

I sit a lot at my job, so I have to keep doing these exercises and stretches or the pain does slowly come back.

I just wanted to throw this out for you.

Whatever happens with you, best wishes and good luck.

Let's hear more about what you did for your piriformis please

The PT had me doing pretty much the same exercises these guys recommend. I also used a really hard roller on it. It's so painful. The best thing the PT did was just diagnosing it and laying down his case for why it was Piriformis. I learned that not all PT's are created equal that day.

I dig these guys on youtube and I still do these stretches daily.

[url="

Here is another good article:

[url="https://runnersconnect.net/piriformis-syndrome-running/"]https://runnersconne...ndrome-running/[/url]

Has a popup, but good one:

https://www.noregretspt.com.au/index.php/resources/blog/43-2014/257-the-4-best-exercises-for-piriformis-syndrome

THANK YOU for this.....haven't followed every step but just a few of the stretches in the morning has improved my mobility and decreased pain.....got my wife into also
    Posted:
    So, weird progression of things. The burning skin is gone. But, it was replaced by an itch. After the deadlifts, my back is feeling pretty dang good. Definitely going to continue with them. Going to stick with lighter weights though. I was pretty sore for more than a couple days.
    Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

About time for an update right? Since my last post in January, things have changed a bit. I made some good progress with some consultation from my chiro. He's less of the "chiropractic will fix everything" and more of "you have to fix yourself through hard work" type.

I'd say I'm probably at 95% about 95% of the time. He got me a little more range of motion. I've rededicated myself to squats, deadlifts, and core work in general. Everything I do is within my current ability and never looki9to over extend myself. I'm not looking to break personal records and I'm very aware of what each movement will do to my body in the following days.

I'm at the point where leg day makes my back feel great. I can go about 6 days before it starts getting sore again and I know it's time for squats and deadlifts again. From working with my chiro, I've figured out that babying my back isn't going to fix anything. My disc needs movement to get blood flowing through it. Being inactive would be the worst thing I could do.

I've also started doing DDP Yoga throughout the week. I can't say that it's added any additional range of motion yet. But, my back and core are thanking me for the additional work. I'm not hobbling off of the 18th hole anymore.

I still have my bad days. But they are fewer and further between now.

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

I'll add that in really listening to how my body feels when at the gym. It of a general sense of caution, I'm using the trap bar for dead lifts. I'm also starting to add in other movements that had caused me a lot of pain in the past. Back extensions and especially bent over rows were murder on my lower back. Now, their crucial to getting my back ready for the week.

Posted:
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights