Ballyneal one time play

2»

Comments

• CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,682 ✭✭
    Dancin wrote:

All you have to do is look at Sawgrass on TV this week to see what is wrong with golf in the US. What should be a firm and fast tournament this time of year is going to be so soft balls will be hopping and stopping in the fairway and spinning back 10 feet on greens and TV announcers will be praising how great it looks. They dumped so much over seed, fertilizer and water on it, it's going to look as green as Augusta. Pete Dye is spinning in his grave.

I played Country Club of Orlando a few weeks ago where the membership gets it and they don't over seed. They've had a lot of rain this year so it was pretty lush for this time of year, but the ball still ran in the fairway and you could run shots up on the greens.

The other big issue in the US is cart golf whereas everybody walks over there. High numbers of cart rounds on clay based fairways pretty much requires soaking the course and using more chemicals. If more people walked they wouldn't have to spend so much just to keep the fairways alive.

Great point on the carts. One thing I noticed a lot the courses around Ireland has are the electric "push carts" (battery powered). I really think that would be a great idea in the US but given the fee would probably be around $15 per round and a cart is $18 or so I don't think it will ever catch one here.

Yea TPC will be lush for sure.
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 939 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:

Dancin wrote:

All you have to do is look at Sawgrass on TV this week to see what is wrong with golf in the US. What should be a firm and fast tournament this time of year is going to be so soft balls will be hopping and stopping in the fairway and spinning back 10 feet on greens and TV announcers will be praising how great it looks. They dumped so much over seed, fertilizer and water on it, it's going to look as green as Augusta. Pete Dye is spinning in his grave.

I played Country Club of Orlando a few weeks ago where the membership gets it and they don't over seed. They've had a lot of rain this year so it was pretty lush for this time of year, but the ball still ran in the fairway and you could run shots up on the greens.

The other big issue in the US is cart golf whereas everybody walks over there. High numbers of cart rounds on clay based fairways pretty much requires soaking the course and using more chemicals. If more people walked they wouldn't have to spend so much just to keep the fairways alive.

Great point on the carts. One thing I noticed a lot the courses around Ireland has are the electric "push carts" (battery powered). I really think that would be a great idea in the US but given the fee would probably be around $15 per round and a cart is $18 or so I don't think it will ever catch one here.

Unfortunately, 90% of the golfers I see on a typical weekend morning are overweight and lazy while pounding beer and hot dogs. I would argue golf is more of a "sport" in Europe. Here golf is a drinking activity for most recreational golfers.
  • Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,121 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:

CDM wrote:

Dancin wrote:

Unfortunately, 90% of the golfers I see on a typical weekend morning are overweight and lazy while pounding beer and hot dogs. I would argue golf is more of a "sport" in Europe. Here golf is a drinking activity for most recreational golfers.

Take the Beer and carts away and the game will rapidly lose appeal in the states.
    Schley wrote:

mci711 wrote:

CDM wrote:

Dancin wrote:

Take the Beer and carts away and the game will rapidly lose appeal in the states.

I agree, which is unfortunate. I for 1 would love it.
  • FiveSixAceFiveSixAce Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
    edited Mar 11, 2019 2:12pm #36
    Dancin wrote:

Pete Dye is alive...
    FiveSixAce wrote:

Dancin wrote:

Pete Dye is alive...

Maybe he meant Alice.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    CDM wrote:

Dancin wrote:

We have them at both of my clubs. They have a very low usage rate at either place. Push carts have a much higher usage rate.
  • DancinDancin Members Posts: 234 ✭✭
    mci711 wrote:

Pete Dye is still alive lol. (but agree)

Yep duh. Alice died this year. Pete is pretty much not there though due to alzheimers.
2»