Strange putting setup to see the line better

Ok, so I tried the Mike Malaska method of putting – he says that you should find the setup that lets you best see the correct line, no matter how your setup looks like. (A very interesting approach, I must add.).

The only way I see the correct line is when I put the ball way back in my stance. Which may or may not have to do with the rest of my game; I play almost all shots as little trap draws (true WRX speak!) from the back of my stance. Also, I chip the old way with the ball waaayyy back, not the cool new way (middle of the stance, using the bounce).

Now back to putting. Of course there is a lot of delofting going on when I putt that way.

1. Do I need a putter with a lot more loft to counteract that?

The only player who putts with the ball slightly back is Zach Johnson. (Are there others?) He also leans the shaft backwards, probably to counteract the effect of too little loft/hitting down too much?

2. Is it possible to simply add loft to an existing putter (done by a fitter), or do I then mess with its specifics, balance points, sweet spot etc.?

3. Are there putters with a lot of loft on the market?

4. And most important: Anyone else use this method?

Any help or input is appreciated!

(I know this thread could also be in the flatstick forum.)

Comments

•  Dave D Dave D Members Posts: 4,003 ✭✭
    1. either more loft or hands back ala ZJ

2. yes most putters with hosels can be bent to add loft, it wont change balance points etc, may only slightly alter how the face sits at address (open/closed), double and single bend shafts however very difficult and only a couple of degrees

3. the only off the racks I can think of with more than 4 degrees of loft are the armlock putters which have around 7 I believe.

can't help with 4 I'm afraid
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • StrugglingScratcherStrugglingScratcher Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Perfect, thank you! So I will try to bend one of my putters to more loft and give it a go.

It is really strange that there is no article in the universe that at least mentions the possibility to put the ball a little back in your stance. It feels like I am doing the worst thing possible, but I'll try and report.
  •  Dave D Dave D Members Posts: 4,003 ✭✭

Perfect, thank you! So I will try to bend one of my putters to more loft and give it a go.

It is really strange that there is no article in the universe that at least mentions the possibility to put the ball a little back in your stance. It feels like I am doing the worst thing possible, but I'll try and report.

I guess probably because it normally means there will be quite a downward impact on the ball which isn't conducive with getting the ball rolling as quickly as possible
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,970 ✭✭
    If you want the best view of the line than try face on putting.
    Good idea, I tinkered with it many years ago, should give it a try again!
  • copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 968 ✭✭
    Quite a few people that I've seen with a "ball back" position in putting are also in an open stance. This mitigates how far back the ball actually is in relation to the chest.

Check your alignment and ball position to the chest as opposed to feet before you adjust putter.
    Golfing Ginger
    So glad I picked an outside activity...

I made the switch about 4 years or so ago. It has changed my entire game. I have easily saved 2 to 3 strokes a round. If you make the switch you have to go all in.
    The Pearl wrote:

I made the switch about 4 years or so ago. It has changed my entire game. I have easily saved 2 to 3 strokes a round. If you make the switch you have to go all in.

Which putter are you using?

The Pearl wrote:

Which putter are you using?

Juan Putt Putter

https://www.juanputt.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file