Callaway Rogue driver standard one

MG 1977

I went to my local AG store on saturday morning to pick up a new driver as I had a g400 max but hated the sound and feel so it had to go. Having had an M4 earlier this season and liking the looks and sound I decided I was going back to get another. The only reason I sold my M4 was that low strikes on the face felt horrendous and didn't perform at all for me. I asked to try the M4, M3, Cobra F8 and the Rogue. I dont hit demo drivers as i want to buy the one i hit so i asked him to grab each off the rack 10.5° with the stock stiff shaft and tape the faces up on them. I hit the M4, M3 and Cobra all very similar. Good strikes getting out to around 255 yards carry, poor strikes around 240. I'd decided on the M4 as it felt good, sounds great & the performance was as good as the others and it had hit my longest carry... I then remembered id not hit the Rogue. First swing with it carry was 272 yards which was the best of the session. I'd had a 267 with the M4. The next couple of swings were high 260s and low 270s again. Then i hit one right out of the bottom, it felt like a total miss hit really low on the face. Carry was mid 250s which was up with the good strikes of the cobra and M drivers. At this point I tried the M4 again and was getting high 250s to mid 260s with it on great strikes. I'd decided I preferred the looks of the M4 over the Rogue and it was £100 cheaper so i was willing to sacrifice a few yards... but then I picked the Rogue up again, First one went 279 carry, next 276, next 277... low mishit 256... I had to bite the bullet and buy the Rogue. It's the best performing driver I've ever hit. I've struggled with Callaway drivers for a while as i found them to be hook machines. I played in the comp an hour after buying the Rogue and shot -1. I hit 9 out of 13 fairways with it. The few misses were first cut with only one finding the long stuff.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know how you get on with the 4 wood... I'm mulling over getting one myself but a bit apprehensive about the fixed hosel.

I have used damn near every rogue fairway this year and the 4 wood was the only one that made the cut for me. I just felt like it gave me the ability to hit a wide variety of shots. I prefer a high lofted 3 (i.e. 16.5) and sadly callaway doesnt offer so 4 wood was next best option other then subzero 5 wood. 4 wood can easily be worked both ways even off the deck. The glued hosel part makes me even more comfortable to be honest. No more tinkering with it and hitting endless amounts of balls on TM.

That's funny. I went from the Rogue SZ to the G400 Max.

When I hit the Rogue on the screws it was great, when I'd hit it off center, I suffered miserably. I had too many shots that didn't hit between the jail bars...

Sounds like it 's a perfect fit for you though, hope it serves you well!

X________________________________ Sign Here

I went from Epic SZ at the start of the season to G400 Max to standard Rogue. The Rogue felt solid and sounded as good if not better than the Epic SZ and a lot better than the G400 Max. Max had a more metallic feel and sound, while the Rogue feels more subdued and more of a "thump" sound. Distance and dispersion have been great as I have it paired with an Oban Devotion 6.

I'm late to the Rogue game myself, I've got a 2017 M2, Epic (non-SZ) and M3 drivers to test with, but the first swing I hit with my Rogue this past weekend was one of those swings that you look up expecting it to be ugly.. not the case.. nice little fade of about 5 yards and was dead center of the fairway.. I played the front nine with my Fujikura Pro Green 72x (@ 44.5" D3.5) and played a two person scramble format on the back with my Tensei Blue 65x (@ 45" D5). I will admit, I was very impressed with the driver head regardless what shaft I used. Just seems like I don't have to worry about it going left on my like the Epic does sometimes. While the M3 is a nice driver, and I think they movable weights do affect the ball flight, I don't want to mess with it when the Rogue setup all stock works fine. Now I just need to decide if I want to play my i500's or keep the P770's in the bag...

I love the Rogue but its only giving me 10-15yds more than my Nike driver so not worth the price point. I think I can skip this generation and wait to see what Callaway releases in 2019.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

First round with the Rogue driver and 4 wood in the bag. Had best day driving the ball in a long time. Rogue driver nice baby draws and long. The 4 wood is a rocket. Long and straight. Used it off the tee on a few short par fours and really shined. Excellent distance and accuracy off the deck also. Now again this was the first round and will be playing again Saturday, but count me as thrilled by the results. So to answer your question ..definitely go for the 4 wood.. You will be quite pleased.

Gil Leonard

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned in another thread, I cracked my Epic SZ and Callaway sent me the Rogue SZ. It has taken sometime, but I really like it. It holds it line better than the Epic, but to me the Epic felt better.

I felt the same way until I added some weight and got the swing weight up to where my older epic was. Now the rogue is as solid feeling as the epic ever was

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.