Favorite Thing About Golf

codyking760codyking760 Sauce EnthusiastMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭
For me, its the fact that you can be stuffing irons and firing at pins scoring your best ever one day, and then the very next day 12 hours later walk out and never strike one pure or roll a good putt. It amazes me how much a swing changes on a day to day basis. Just an indicator of how complex the motion really is. Its the most frustrating thing ever, but its also the best. It keeps you in a constant search for perfection and predictability which will never come.
WITB -
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Driver: Rogue Draw 9* Project X Evenflow blue 65 graphite (stiff -1")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3 Wood: Rogue 15* Project X Evenflow blue 75 graphite (stiff -1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]3 Hybrid: Rogue 19* Project X Evenflow Black 85 HYB graphite (stiff -1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Irons: Apex CF-16/Pro combo set (4-PW) Project X LZ 105 Steel (6.0 -1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wedges: 52* - MD4 Raw 10* S-grind Project X steel (6.0 -1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] 56* - MD4 Raw 10* S-grind Project X steel (6.0 -1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] 60* - MD PM Grind Chrome 10* Project X steel (6.0 - 1/2")[/background][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Putter: Toulon Austin 33.5" 7 gram sole weight (Black and Orange color scheme)[/background][/font]

Comments

• HehatemeHehateme Members Posts: 547 ✭✭
    being outside with the smells and sights
  • FSUMarkFSUMark Members Posts: 14
    edited Sep 5, 2018 #3
    Similar, but turning around a bad round with a well struck drive, GIR and birdie. Turn to your buddy and "easy game"

Or a nice up and down for par from a shite drive
  • KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    The challenge and being outside bantering back and forth with good friends.

Ohh yea and the feel/sight of a perfectly struck iron.
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2018 #5
    The challenge of the game/course itself. It can't be beat, only played. And every game, every shot is different than the last.

That and I don't need to play with other people in order to enjoy the game. Sometimes they (other people) are a welcome change though. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter
  • PulledabillPulledabill Members Posts: 334 ✭✭
    I love the challenge of competing and learning new techniques and shot. Watching the seasons change week by week the whole year.
  • SammyShafSammyShaf Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Getting to course first thing in the morning and shutting everything off except for my pre shot routine.
    If anything can go right, it might!
  • ttice6ttice6 Members Posts: 102 ✭✭

For me, its the fact that you can be stuffing irons and firing at pins scoring your best ever one day, and then the very next day 12 hours later walk out and never strike one pure or roll a good putt. It amazes me how much a swing changes on a day to day basis. Just an indicator of how complex the motion really is. Its the most frustrating thing ever, but its also the best. It keeps you in a constant search for perfection and predictability which will never come.

Well said! The fact that it can cause so much frustration yet suck you right in when it all comes together just right is awesome.
  • HatsForBatsHatsForBats Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭
    With any great activity or experience I refuse to pick just one favorite thing. It is the multiple things that make the game great. Depending on the day, course, playing partners, weather conditions, day/time of the week etc. you might get 50 different answers from me. That is what makes the game great IMO.
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 1,675 ✭✭
    edited Oct 22, 2018 #10
    The smell of freshly cut grass and the fact that you can practice alone. I used to play a lot of tennis, but I ran out of practice partners.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • KC13KC13 31st StateMembers Posts: 343 ✭✭
    Love an early morning tee time (6am'ish). Getting up while everyone in the neighborhood is sleeping. The solitude of driving to the course. The smell of wet grass. The sun starting to peak its head for sunrise. The slow chip warm-up swings. Stepping on the first tee box with the slightest feeling of nerves. The focus the course requires that day.

Golf in my opinion, is a beautiful game.

- KC
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9° / Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6x
    4 Wood: Callaway Rogue 17° / Fujikura Speeder Evolution V 757x
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 21° / Matrix Ozik Altus X 
    Irons: Mizuno MP-25 (4-pw) / KBS Tour Black Nickel 125 S+
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 Raw 50,54,58 / KBS Tour 120 S
    Putter: Scotty Cameron / Studio Select Laguna 2
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    The friends it has brought me.
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    I love being out in nature, seeing animals walk by and never worry about you. It is feeling the breeze, the dew and the grass.

The other is the feeling of a pure shot you hit every once in a while.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • azkaevolutionazkaevolution Members Posts: 760 ✭✭
    I love that its a battle with myself, and myself only.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB (2015) 10.5*, KK Black TiNi 50 R-flex 44.25"[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 17*, Project X LZ 50 Blue 42.5"[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Adams New Idea 22*, Bassara Eagle R-flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Adams New Idea 25*, Bassara Eagle R-flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno 2016 JPX EZ Forged, 4i-GW TT XP95 R300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist SM5 Vokey 54.10 M Grind [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD2 Tour 58.09 T Grind [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey Versa Black 90 V-line Superstroke [/font]
  • The PearlThe Pearl Members Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    That feeling right at the moment you sit in your car after walking 18 and covering 5 or 6 miles and posting a solid round with your best golfing buddies.
  • AugustokAugustok Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I’ve belonged to the same course for about 40 years and it’s amazing that I find my ball someplace it never was before. Love walking around up and down hills, wind blowing around getting my exercise outside with good friends and at the same time playing serious by the rules golf.
  • HarleyweedwhacksHarleyweedwhacks Members Posts: 152
    I basically don't love anything about the game. In fact, I hate it, and want to quit, but if I do quit then my friends will criticize me and I would have wasted thousands of dollars on something I don't even enjoy anymore, and knowing I wasted that much money on this would make me a failure.

I'm too f****** stupid to play this game well, I guess. Why bother?
    "I have one brief comment today, and there is no chance, we're all human beings here, and there's no chance humanly possible that Tiger woods isn't hurting his back with a swing like that...no way."--Colin Montgomerie
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 912 ✭✭
    I enjoy the game....humbles me at many turns, allows enjoyment on the walk with family and friends, competition with the course and myself. Frustrating at times, but certainly on balance a positive and enjoyable part of our lives!
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    edited Sep 16, 2018 #19
    Playing with my dad Carl Spackler3 Sr.
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • lungbusterlungbuster SCMembers Posts: 25 ✭✭
    Having an activity that my daughter and I enjoy doing together.
    Callaway Rogue SubZero 9 - Aldila Rogue M-AX 75X
    Callaway Rogue 15 - PX Even Flow Black 75 6.5
    Srixon Z965 3-P - Nippon C10 X
    Vokey SM7 51.09 F / 57.09 M S400
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 V-Line
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,353 ✭✭

I love that its a battle with myself, and myself only.

^THIS^
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 609 ✭✭
    In the winter there're few other on the course and I can play a few quick rounds with my son.
  • joeyloughjoeylough Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Being away from everything.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    My "membership" with Golf WRX.
  • bcsquarebcsquare Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I like how you can play in solitude and enjoy the sights/sounds or you can have a lot of fun with friends.

My favorite thing to do is to get up early on a weekend and head the range to practice in peace.
    Cobra F9 9*, Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 6S
    Cobra F9 3W 14.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 5W 18.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.08M, Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,700 ✭✭
  • DavyCDavyC Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    I think it's the sound for me. And it's more than just hitting the ball well, be it with an iron, a driver, a chip, or a putt... the "THUMP" the ball makes as it lands on the green, the unmistakable sound of the ball sinking in the hole, the clattering of clubs of clubs on your back, the rip of velcro from taking off a glove. There are so many nice noises that go along with golf, and I think it's one of the many things that makes it so special.
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 847 ✭✭
    I gave this question a lot of thought. Honestly, I love it all. I cannot narrow it down to one thing. More often than not, golf builds my self esteem, so perhaps that should be my response.
  • XWIUhacker3XWIUhacker3 Members Posts: 102 ✭✭
    My favorite part is the peace & quiet playing on a Friday night with no one out there. Just me and my thoughts chasing that dang little white ball around
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Tour AD DI 7s
    KZG 3 Wood AD DI 6s
    Titleist 990 2i
    New Level 623-M 4-PW DG 120s
    Titleist Vokey 52*
    Titleist Vokey 56*
    Titleist Vokey 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless 303
  • Range ProRange Pro Members Posts: 280 ✭✭
    It's an unsolvable puzzle that we constantly torture ourselves to solve it.

Being outdoor in beautiful greenery, woods and scenery.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,326 ✭✭
    Friends and challenge.
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”