Draw or fade

leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day...Members Posts: 1,087 ✭✭
Are your kids hitting a draw, fade or can they move it both ways? At what age do you start teaching the opposite of their natural shot shape?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Comments

  • Tannerbug33Tannerbug33 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Mine can but not consistently. He want do it in a tournament
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,130 ✭✭
    My kid will move it both ways. His go to is a draw. He hits wedges pretty straight. 54th hole on Monday and he hits draw off the tee that didn’t draw enough. Hits a 5w fade from 186 into the wind to 8ft from the cup. He will hit a lot of cut woods into greens because they create more spin, go higher, and will unlikely roll off. Oh... he made the 8 ft putt.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    edited Sep 5, 2018 #4
    my oldest daughter who is 11 can curve it both ways at will. She really only leaned this in the last couple of weeks. It dangerous though because they need to know when to use it and she is like most kids thinks it fun to use. So she wants to use it more then you should. When she does it right though it makes her deadly accurate. Which is the reason she wants to use it.



    She learned it from her swing instructor who thought she was ready. I think it will take a year or two to fully develop. I was told by a lot people that not many girls can actually control the ball flight and this will be a huge advantage in a few years.



    I think you need to have a high enough swing speed before you even think about it. If the speed is not there then it’s better to just hit it as strait as you can.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 900 ✭✭
    leezer99 wrote:


    Are your kids hitting a draw, fade or can they move it both ways? At what age do you start teaching the opposite of their natural shot shape?




    7YO boy, but I teach him only the inside-out swing right now. Good swings give us a straight or 1-yard draw type flight path. Great part about this is that he recognizes by flight path when he didn't make a good swing which usually a push because he is late getting through.



    I'm sure there are some that are teaching these different swings at early ages, but IMHO I don't think it's necessary until they are 10 or 11 at the earliest. Would be interesting to hear what instructors think about this.
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    My 8 year old son hits a natural draw compared to Dad's natural fade, a testament that I keep my nose out of his swing lessons, which is a good thing. His fade is off the tee and with his fairway and hybrid. Irons and wedges are much more straight flight. His swing coach is going to start working on manipulating shot shape when he its about 9-10 I believe.
    Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,933 ClubWRX
    8 y/o.



    Go to is a draw- thank goodness. He can fade the driver on command, but its much more difficult to do with irons. He has learned to hit all kinds of shots on the range- favorite being a low punch. Luckily he hasn't had to use it much in tournament play.



    I think by 13-14, the kid should be able to shape the ball both ways with some good consistency.
  • leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,087 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:
    8 y/o.



    Go to is a draw- thank goodness. He can fade the driver on command, but its much more difficult to do with irons. He has learned to hit all kinds of shots on the range- favorite being a low punch. Luckily he hasn't had to use it much in tournament play.



    I think by 13-14, the kid should be able to shape the ball both ways with some good consistency.


    Why that age? Genuinely curious.

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,933 ClubWRX
    leezer99 wrote:

    kekoa wrote:
    8 y/o.



    Go to is a draw- thank goodness. He can fade the driver on command, but its much more difficult to do with irons. He has learned to hit all kinds of shots on the range- favorite being a low punch. Luckily he hasn't had to use it much in tournament play.



    I think by 13-14, the kid should be able to shape the ball both ways with some good consistency.


    Why that age? Genuinely curious.




    I feel by that age, the kid will have the appropriate power and distance to really work the ball. Their swing mechanics will likely be grooved and they will have the ability to comprehend ball flight rules to hit certain shots. Just my opinion.
  • golfer929golfer929 Members Posts: 231 ✭✭
    kekoa wrote:


    8 y/o.



    Go to is a draw- thank goodness. He can fade the driver on command, but its much more difficult to do with irons. He has learned to hit all kinds of shots on the range- favorite being a low punch. Luckily he hasn't had to use it much in tournament play.



    I think by 13-14, the kid should be able to shape the ball both ways with some good consistency.




    Why "thank goodness" that it is a draw? Just wondering
  • Palmetto GolferPalmetto Golfer Members Posts: 159 ✭✭
    My son wants and works hard at hitting a fade. When he starts drawing the ball, it is a big warning that he is not swinging properly. That draw will turn into a duck hook in a few swings if he is not careful. When he is hitting a high fade he is swing well. When he hits a draw....what out!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.