We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

Comments

• Hammer22Hammer22  594Members Posts: 594
    I had probably commented in another thread, but hit the HMPro 7-iron compared to my 919F 7-iron (Modus120 shafts in both) and the results were essentially the same.

Club speed 92-93MPH, ball speed right around 122-123MPH, launch 17-18°, carry around 181-182, and backspin in the vicinity of 7,500RPM (all with my new ball). Probably 8-10 balls each on the monitor, and weird how close they all were. I'm sure the Pro's would be a touch more forgiving - and they did feel nice - but it made me glad that I wasn't going to regret the 919F purchase. May think about a 4-iron from the Pro line down the road, but there is no big hurry.
    Posted:
    nflam-button.png
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • th6252th6252  1186Members Posts: 1,186
    has anyone been able to confirm the bounce specs on the hm pros? i would've thought they would have a touch more bounce than the forged but according to mizuno europe's site, the pro 7i has only 1.5° of bounce while the forged have 3°.
    Posted:
  • KParksKParks  83Members Posts: 83
    Is anyone gaming the generic Gap Wedge with the HM Pro (or even I guess the regular HM)?

Getting close to ordering a set of the HM Pro but it seems strange to me to have three different types of clubs at the bottom of the bag -- HM Pro PW, generic 919/HM GW, then specialty wedges.

So probably going to go 4-PW in HM Pro, and then just a set of "matching" 50/54/58 wedges (still deciding what these will be, but probably Ping Glide 2.0 Stealths, SS grinds in the 50 and 54, ES grind in the 58). I'd prefer to go 4-GW in the same set of irons (since GW is still a "full swing" club for me 90%+ of the time and I use the 54/58 for different specialty shots), and will do that if I end up going with a different set of irons with my fitting, but it seems strange to do it when the GW is so different from the set PW (i.e. GW has MORE offset than the PW, and then just my OCD kicking in on the paint fill).
    Posted:
  • mattdubyamattdubya  104Members Posts: 104
    KParks wrote:

Is anyone gaming the generic Gap Wedge with the HM Pro (or even I guess the regular HM)?

Getting close to ordering a set of the HM Pro but it seems strange to me to have three different types of clubs at the bottom of the bag -- HM Pro PW, generic 919/HM GW, then specialty wedges.

So probably going to go 4-PW in HM Pro, and then just a set of "matching" 50/54/58 wedges (still deciding what these will be, but probably Ping Glide 2.0 Stealths, SS grinds in the 50 and 54, ES grind in the 58). I'd prefer to go 4-GW in the same set of irons (since GW is still a "full swing" club for me 90%+ of the time and I use the 54/58 for different specialty shots), and will do that if I end up going with a different set of irons with my fitting, but it seems strange to do it when the GW is so different from the set PW (i.e. GW has MORE offset than the PW, and then just my OCD kicking in on the paint fill).

i am but i only have some range time and about 3 rounds in with it. i love it. feels great. distance is reliable for me and it's pretty forgiving. i thin you should go hit one for sure
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9* w. Project X HZRDUS T800 55 6.0
    Callaway Rogue 3W 15* w. Project X Evenflow Blue 75
    Callaway Rogue X 3H 18* w. Project X Evenflow Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW w. Nippon 950GH stiff
    Mizuno S18 55* and 60* w. Nippon 950GH stiff
    Nike Method Matter B2-01
  • jcorna01jcorna01  669Members Posts: 669
    The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it’s bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can’t speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.
    Posted:
  • KParksKParks  83Members Posts: 83
    jcorna01 wrote:

The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it's bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can't speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.

That is a good idea I hadn't thought about, blending in the Forged GW instead of the HM GW. Will definitely have to do some testing with that, the HM GW and then just a Specialty GW and see what feels good and looks good in terms of actually filling the gap as well.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rfarrell51rfarrell51  1349Members Posts: 1,349
    I ordered 5-PW and a 50 degree S18 GW. I have the S18 56 so I’ll be good to go. All same shaft mfg, NS Pro Modus
    Posted:
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
    Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
  • liptrotliptrot  170Members Posts: 170
    I've hit the forged extensively. I hit the hot metal pro 4-5 different times on launch monitor. I liked the feel and consistency of the forged and didn't see much of a difference in forgiveness with the HM Pro. Ordered regular Hot Metal 4 iron and 5-9 in forged. I didn't love the look of the pitching wedge so ordered Ping 46 degree stealth glide 2
    Posted:
  • reider69reider69  621Members Posts: 621
    KParks wrote:

I just bought the Ping Stealth 54 SS and 58 ES to go with my 900 forged. I use the 900 forged gap wedge at 50 degrees and transitions very nicely into the Pings. The 900 forged wedge and gap wedge are compact with a thin top line and look great. You could probably pick one up for a song on the bay to match your set.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • WoodywatcherWoodywatcher  145Members Posts: 145
    Does anyone know if they are going to do a 2 / 3 iron so we can have a driving iron? Like the idea of a my 919 tours with a hot metal pro 2 iron.
    Posted:
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm  2134Members Posts: 2,134

Does anyone know if they are going to do a 2 / 3 iron so we can have a driving iron? Like the idea of a my 919 tours with a hot metal pro 2 iron.

99% they wont.

Mizuno has the FliHi UDI for that dont they?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • nDroid3nDroid3 USA 107Members Posts: 107
    Anyone compare these to the 919 Forged?
    Posted:
  • BigHook25BigHook25  2295Members Posts: 2,295

99% they wont.

Mizuno has the FliHi UDI for that dont they?

I think the only chance for some type of new 2-iron would be around the British Open when more players start wanting a 2-iron or some type of driving iron.
    Posted:
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld  3012Members Posts: 3,012
    KParks wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

The HM GW does look a little funny compared to the Pro PW since it's bigger. Visually, the forged GW looks more in place and blends better but I can't speak to performance differences. I put both GW next to the Pro PW and would probably order the forged GW if I had to without actually testing performance differences. Specialty GW obviously is a 3rd option.

That is a good idea I hadn't thought about, blending in the Forged GW instead of the HM GW. Will definitely have to do some testing with that, the HM GW and then just a Specialty GW and see what feels good and looks good in terms of actually filling the gap as well.

I had my first look at the HMPs yesterday and came to the same conclusion. GW just looks off and the forged seems like a better fit, even with the regular HMs IMO.
    Posted:
  • bazinkybazinky  1687Members Posts: 1,687
    The offset progression looks like it would be tough to blend these with the Forged and/or Tour. Seems a bit weird that the offset is les than the both the Forged and the Tour, but it's a really good looking club. Definitely planning on adding these to my testing list for the upcoming season.
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD
    On -, @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4

Titleist 917 F2 16.5
    On -, @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S

Callaway X2Hot Pro
    On -, @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Callaway X2Hot Pro
    On -, @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot

Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • dannykosdannykos  243Members Posts: 243
    I could have sworn I’d heard or read that these would rrp at the same price as the standard HM - but everywhere I’m seeing them for sale here in the uk has them priced higher? What gives?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • jcorna01jcorna01  669Members Posts: 669
    Yea they are the same price here. I saw a UK-based YouTube review that said they cost more and thought he was mistaken but apparently not.
    Posted:
  • TheweekdayTheweekday  6Members Posts: 6
    Thinking about getting new irons next season, coming from the cf16, I will be looking at the 919F and the most likely to come end of the year 720 ap2
    Posted:
    They are the same price as the HM at my local shops.
    Posted:
  • dannykosdannykos  243Members Posts: 243
    nDroid3 wrote:

US or UK?
    Posted:
    dannykos wrote:
    nDroid3 wrote:

US or UK?

US.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • AcmeGolfAcmeGolf  376Members Posts: 376
    Ordered a set of HMP's yesterday, should be here in time for a quick trip to Phoenix in a couple weeks. I went through a fitting last fall when the 919 line was released and was fitted into the Tours but I didn't want to get new irons heading into winter, so I waited. I had also heard the whispers of the the HMP's being released later and I was curious to see this "players" distance iron. IMO they were worth the wait. I thought I would not like them immediately because they were not forged and I have play forged Mizuno's for a long time (except for a brief PXG experiment last year). I could tell the difference but it was not as big as I thought. All the numbers were good, so that was that.

5-GW Modus Pro 120...I was also hesitant regarding the GW in the HMP but decided to give it a chance. I play S18 wedges already so a 50 could be inserted easily if needed.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 LST 10°
    Titleist 917F2 13.5°
    Titleist 818 H2 17°
    Titleist 818 H2 20° 
    Mizuno JPX919 HMP's 5-GW
    Mizuno T7  56° & 60°
    SC Newport 3 (T22 Fastback coming soon)
    I was going back and forth with either the Pros or the forged...but you’re right, I didn’t notice a big difference in feels. The minor difference in feel was not worth the difference in cost.

You could get an extra club or two with that cost difference.
    Posted:
  • gridironesqgridironesq Roseville, CA 542Members Posts: 542
    KParks wrote:

jcorna01 wrote:

That’s what I did. Went with forged gap wedge with my HM pro set. Visually it made more sense and I really like the forged any way. Love the extra ball speed from the pros.
    Posted:
    Current Gamers
    EPIC FLASH 10.5*, WHITE TIE 55X4 STIFF
    TEE XCG5 3+, 4, 7 WOODS
    CALLAWAY X HOT 25* & 28* HYBRIDS
    MIZUNO HM PRO 7-PW, 919F GW
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    TOULON PORTLAND H3
    TM PROJECT (a)
  • reider69reider69  621Members Posts: 621
    nDroid3 wrote:

I was going back and forth with either the Pros or the forged...but you’re right, I didn’t notice a big difference in feels. The minor difference in feel was not worth the difference in cost.

You could get an extra club or two with that cost difference.

Mizuno may have created a product that will cannibalize its higher priced and more premium offering. Who knows, margins may be much much higher on the cast Hot Metals so it may not matter from a financial perspective.
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • jjljjl  1343Members Posts: 1,343
    bazinky wrote:

The offset progression looks like it would be tough to blend these with the Forged and/or Tour. Seems a bit weird that the offset is les than the both the Forged and the Tour, but it's a really good looking club. Definitely planning on adding these to my testing list for the upcoming season.

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

The HMP has slightly more offset than the Tour.
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5
    Ping G410 Hybrid 19* 22*
    TaylorMade P790 4i
    TaylorMade SLDR 5i - AW
    Titleist SM6 Jet Black 56*
    TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 60*
    TaylorMade Spider X 34"
    Bridgestone Tour B RX
    Titleist Players 4 

Advertisement
    jjl wrote:
    bazinky wrote:

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it’s between the tour and the forge.
    Posted:
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VA 3023Members Posts: 3,023
    nDroid3 wrote:

jjl wrote:
    bazinky wrote:

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it’s between the tour and the forge.

Agree. Saw these today and I didn't like the look at address. The combination of minimal offset, but chunky lines looked weird to me. I actually liked the looks of the regular HM better. Didn't hit either of them though.
    Posted:
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1
  • hd.softailhd.softail  519Members Posts: 519
    brew4eagle wrote:

nDroid3 wrote:

jjl wrote:
    bazinky wrote:

https://golf.mizunoe...mparison-table/

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it's between the tour and the forge.

Agree. Saw these today and I didn't like the look at address. The combination of minimal offset, but chunky lines looked weird to me. I actually liked the looks of the regular HM better. Didn't hit either of them though.

I think you guys are spot on. Really want to like the HM Pro but I don't think the look matches the target player. Offset should have been between Forged and regular HM.

Mizuno should have followed Titleist' lead a little more where they put the AP3 directly between the AP2 and AP1, that's how the HM Pro should have been designed. HM Pro has been going back and looking at the AP3...

Does anyone remember the Mizuno MX-20/MX-23 design? Why can't miz bring this back? A forged GI with medium offset...919 forged is close but I still think the MX-20/MX-23s were more forgiving...
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • hd.softailhd.softail  519Members Posts: 519
    hd.softail wrote:

brew4eagle wrote:

nDroid3 wrote:

jjl wrote:
    bazinky wrote:

https://golf.mizunoe...mparison-table/

It would have made more sense to have the offset be more than the forged, less than the Original HM, but it looks likes it's between the tour and the forge.

I think you guys are spot on. Really want to like the HM Pro but I don't think the look matches the target player. Offset should have been between Forged and regular HM.

Mizuno should have followed Titleist' lead a little more where they put the AP3 directly between the AP2 and AP1, that's how the HM Pro should have been designed. HM Pro has been going back and looking at the AP3...

Does anyone remember the MX-20 and MX-23 irons? Don't understand why Mizuno can't build those, a forged GI iron...
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.