Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

11011121315

Comments

  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Mizuno gives you the measurements.

    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Maltby DBM 3-GW C-Taper Lite 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 52/58* 
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Dang, I was just plain wrong then!! My bad...and my old eyes :-)

    Taylormade M5 driver with Tensei Orange stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Taylormade P790 5i with Recoil 95 F4 shaft
    Taylormade P770 6i-AW with Recoil 95 F4 shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 with KBS
    Taylormade Spider X

    First single OEM I have played and love it
  • hd.softailhd.softail Members Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭

    @hd.softail said:

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

    I’ve never had issues with how my irons have performed based off the offset. It’s honestly the last thing I look at when considering irons.

    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Maltby DBM 3-GW C-Taper Lite 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 52/58* 
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • PacificgemPacificgem Victoria BC, CanadaMembers Posts: 46 ✭✭

    Mine are in the mail from Mizuno, should arrive early next week, can't wait to test them out and compare them against my regular Hot Metal's.

    Driver: Callaway GBB EPIC Tensei Orange 60S 9.5°
    3 Wood: TaylorMade M2 15°
    2 Iron: TaylorMade 790 UDI 17°
    Irons: Mizuno HM Pro 4-GW Modus3 R
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 56°
    Wedge: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 60° 
    Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Fastback


  • hd.softailhd.softail Members Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @hd.softail said:

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

    I’ve never had issues with how my irons have performed based off the offset. It’s honestly the last thing I look at when considering irons.

    Fair point. I hit the HM Pro quite a bit and really like the performance. I'm a huge Mizuno fan, currently play Miz irons. The HM Pro just doesn't fit my eye but I'm sure they will look good to many. Can't argue they are great performing irons though.

  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @hd.softail said:

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

    The horse is long dead! Mizuno had the HMP in the works from the beginning. The fact they are being played in the long irons by Tour guys is a happy outcome for Mizuno. Arguably, the Forged fills the forged distance players spot in the line-up. Mizuno clearly wanted a player distance CAST club to go up against their competitors’.

    P790 6i has 0.118” of offset with a 79 mm blade length.
    HM Pro 6i has 0.122” of offset with a 81.2 mm blade length.
    919F 6i has 0.142” of offset with a 80.1 mm blade length.

    The offset and blade length differences are so small. P790 is bulbous looking from the back to me in comparison to the Mizuno clubs.

    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • kb24ismvpkb24ismvp Members Posts: 258 ✭✭

    off set only becomes an issue for most players in the long irons. as long as the offset isn't too outrageous ie callaway rogue x, i never heard of anyone picking a set of long irons based on offset. performance, top line and sole interaction seems to trump on how much offset a particular long iron might have.

  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 201 ClubWRX

    @noodle3872 said:

    @hd.softail said:

    @JDMRN81 said:

    @noodle3872 said:
    Mizuno gives you the measurements.
    https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

    Great find! Based on this chart, the HMP's are 1.1mm longer then the forged but 4.6mm shorter then the HM's. Also, the HMP's have less offset then the forged (and HM's).

    I know I'm beating a dead horse but HM Pro should have had the same offset as the forged or at least somewhere more than forged but less than HM. To have less than the forged doesn't make sense or I suppose it does if Mizuno was really building these for their pro staff as a long iron replacement. Now that I see them getting into the long irons of Pros bags makes sense. Seems like Miz might have been building these for pros and decided hey we can brand and sell them as a "thing" to consumers. The HM Pro is just goofy looking for what Mizuno says the intended audience is. A players distance iron with butter knife like offset. To me P790 sets the standard for the look of a players distance iron.

    The horse is long dead! Mizuno had the HMP in the works from the beginning. The fact they are being played in the long irons by Tour guys is a happy outcome for Mizuno. Arguably, the Forged fills the forged distance players spot in the line-up. Mizuno clearly wanted a player distance CAST club to go up against their competitors’.

    P790 6i has 0.118” of offset with a 79 mm blade length.
    HM Pro 6i has 0.122” of offset with a 81.2 mm blade length.
    919F 6i has 0.142” of offset with a 80.1 mm blade length.

    The offset and blade length differences are so small. P790 is bulbous looking from the back to me in comparison to the Mizuno clubs.

    Other comps:
    i210 6i has 0.12 offset
    i500 6i has 0.10 offset
    I'm finding the HMP longer and a bit easier to hit than the i210, I didn't like the feel of the i500, do like the HMP so far.

    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • TizodTizod Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

    Posted this in another thread but I just ordered the HMP with the C Taper Lite X flex shaft and I am just a wee bit excited about it.
    My iron shots are draws when hit well and hooks when not hit well...which is most of the time. Then of course there's the odd push when I am trying not to hook it. I have literally spent hours and hours hitting everything in Rodger Dunn's inventory and its the same thing over and over. Out of 10 balls maybe 2 or 3 would find the green and the rest would be way left of target.
    I was fitted into the these and was really surprised when the Shaft Optimizer suggested a X flex if I wanted a lighter weight shaft and was even more surprised when the fitter put on a X flex shaft and I was repeatedly hitting the green 180 yards out.
    I hope to god this works out for me.

  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,291 ClubWRX

    @Tizod said:
    Posted this in another thread but I just ordered the HMP with the C Taper Lite X flex shaft and I am just a wee bit excited about it.
    I was fitted into the these and was really surprised when the Shaft Optimizer suggested a X flex if I wanted a lighter weight shaft and was even more surprised when the fitter put on a X flex shaft and I was repeatedly hitting the green 180 yards out.
    I hope to god this works out for me.

    Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • TizodTizod Members Posts: 137 ✭✭

    @dmeeksDC said:

    Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

    It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.
    At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.
    I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,291 ClubWRX

    @Tizod said:

    @dmeeksDC said:

    Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

    It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.
    At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.
    I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

    You got good advice. Tempo matters a lot. And a 115g X flex is not like a 130g X flex. I was just curious. I find the CTL X flex to be quite playable. I soft-stepped them once in a set of 965’s and liked it a lot. Precise performer for me.

    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Members Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Just for those reading and looking for a comparison to i500s. I have them both in hand. I was custom fit for both. Using the Mizuno shaft analyzer I fit into CTLite X or PX 6.0. Since I had PX in the Pings, I decided to try CTL in the Mizunos. Based on looks, I would give a slight nod to the Pings. They seem a little more sleek. Feel is hands down to the HMPs. Sound also goes to the HMP. On performance, I would give the nod to the HMP too. The shafts are different so that could be a major contributor but the HMPs launch higher, spin a bit more, hold greens a bit better and seem more forgiving from the limited time I have had with them. The HMP do not seem as powerful and I could chalk that up to sound but even with a higher spinier shot, the HMP are probably a touch longer through the set. The extra spin makes it a good bit easier for me to work the HMPs as well. For those on the fence with the Gap wedge, I love the set wedge. The look isn't as bad as many make it seem. I used some black Testors paint and filled the running bird and the numbers on the bottom. Looks like it matches the set and the performance is very nice.

  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dmeeksDC said:

    @Tizod said:

    @dmeeksDC said:

    Congrats. Sounds great. I like that shaft. What is your SS? Always like to know for certain shafts that I like. Thanks

    It's in the mid 80s with a 7 iron but I am not really convinced anymore that SS is the be all, end all. My driver SS is in the 90s and I've always been told that, based on my SS I could go with either S or R but my transition, especially with my irons, is very quick and my right hand gets too active closing down the face.
    At least this is what I have been told by a number of people I have taken lessons from or have had look at my swing.
    I've picked up a few X shaft clubs here and there in the past and always felt they were a bit too heavy and too stiff but it never occurred to me to consider going with a lighter weighted shaft with an X flex.

    You got good advice. Tempo matters a lot. And a 115g X flex is not like a 130g X flex. I was just curious. I find the CTL X flex to be quite playable. I soft-stepped them once in a set of 965’s and liked it a lot. Precise performer for me.

    On the flip side of this I have a 100 mph 7 iron swing and was fitted to CTX. I bought a set of 900 forged off the bay with CTLX and love this shaft. I do play overlength so that is a consideration. I also like to hit the ball with my hands and try to keep my body and legs mostly quiet so a lighter shaft that is xstiff is perfect for me. I think players really need to try a plethora of shafts and see what works best. I think a lot of people would be surprised at the results. I completely lucked my way into CTLX as I would never be fitted to a light shaft with my speed.

    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 201 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 5, 2019 3:25am #438

    Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

    Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    Wgy > @nostatic said:

    Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

    Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

    Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???
    Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 201 ClubWRX

    @indianalawnguy said:
    Wgy > @nostatic said:

    Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

    Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

    Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???
    Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

    Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • indianalawnguyindianalawnguy Members Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

    @nostatic said:

    @indianalawnguy said:
    Wgy > @nostatic said:

    Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

    Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

    Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???
    Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

    Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

    The sim ive been on this winter exagerates the roll out too. Here in the midwest we are just getting on the course for the first time since winter and if you hit it high enough the ball will just embed in its own pitch mark! Ive always been a pretty high spin player, but have noticed that the players distance irons like the HMP and i500 as well as p790 just dont spin very much!

  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 201 ClubWRX

    @indianalawnguy said:

    @nostatic said:

    @indianalawnguy said:
    Wgy > @nostatic said:

    Just back from a lesson, the HMP with LZ Tour graphite 6.0 showed up today so I hit that along with HMP with Recoil 95 stiff and i210 SF i95 regular to warm up. Not a huge feel difference between the LZ and Recoil, but if I do my proper tempo, the LZ loads nicely. Significant distance difference between HMP and i210.

    Used the HMP with LZ for the lesson, working on posting as a trigger for the downswing. First time I’ve had a 7i rolling out to the 170s with pretty consistent baby draw and 160+ carry. So far very impressed with the HMPs, rest of the shorter irons should show up next week. I know they are stronger loft than the Pings, but the launch and shot shape are great - decidedly not low bullets.

    Why would you want to carry a 7 iron 160 yards and "roll out" to 170 yards? Thats 30 feet from the pitch mark! Maybe im misunderstanding your post???
    Personally...i like for my 7 iron to stop within a foot of the pitch mark.

    Thats on a sim, and I find it tends to exaggerate the roll. Also I hit a bunch of shots, a couple crept out to 170, for those the carry was closer to 165. I'll have a better idea when I get it out on the course again tomorrow. I'm also still in the midst of a major swing change, so there are a bunch of details to iron out. Right now on my local course I can't stop a wedge within a foot of the pitch mark - I don't think they've watered since the last rain.

    The sim ive been on this winter exagerates the roll out too. Here in the midwest we are just getting on the course for the first time since winter and if you hit it high enough the ball will just embed in its own pitch mark! Ive always been a pretty high spin player, but have noticed that the players distance irons like the HMP and i500 as well as p790 just dont spin very much!

    I agree the hotter clubs tend to have spin numbers that are down. That said, some tend to launch higher and have a higher descent angle so that makes up some of it. I'm just starting to put the HMPs into play so I'll see how it goes, but mostly it is looking like I can go a club down from where I am with the i210s (perhaps expected with the stronger loft), and it seems like I can get away with a bit worse strike with the HMP. Or for whatever reason I just think I can hit it better. I'll know better once the rest of the short irons show up.

    I month ago I was plugging shots in the fairways and sometimes on the greens. Now they are bouncing and rolling out...and out...and out. By May they'll be proper concrete.

    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • spgolferspgolfer Members Posts: 1

    @clp34vmp said:
    I got my set of HM Pro 5 iron-GW about three weeks ago now. Due to weather and a couple of other commitments, I haven't gotten out a ton since I got them. I've had three nine hole rounds and a couple of a range sessions, and I have to say I'm really struggling. I don't think the issue has anything to do with the HM Pros but instead is more likely the shaft that I chose.

    As I think I posted on this thread previously, at my fitting I hit the HM Pro and Callaway Apex each with three different shafts: the C Taper Lite, the Dynamic Gold, and the Project X LZ 5.5, all in Stiff. There was really no standout winner amongst that collection as far the Trackman results. All the measurables were in a pretty tight range with both heads combined with all three of the shafts with the exception of the C Taper Lite, where my ball flight apex was about 10' lower with both heads than what I was getting with the others. With no stand-out winner, I ended up opting for what I thought at the time I felt the most comfortable with, and that was the HM Pro with the Project X LZ 5.5 shaft.

    Now that I've received the clubs, I've had a tremendously difficult time hitting them, especially the 5-7 irons. As I get to the shorter irons I seem to fare a little bit better, but even there I wouldn't say the performance has been any better than with my old irons, Ping i20's. In trying to pinpoint what exactly the issue is that I'm having with the clubs, I keep coming back to the feel I'm getting from the shaft. It just feels like a brick in my hands. I don't know if it's too stiff (though I've always had stiff shafts in my irons) or too heavy or quite possibly both, but I just can't hit these. I'm hitting a lot of weak fades short and right, and even the shots where I'm making good contact and producing a nice ball flight are pushed to the right a bit. I'm also hitting a ton of shots fat.

    For those more knowledgeable than myself, do these results sound like someone hitting a shaft that is either too heavy or too stiff for their swing? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm really feeling so bummed about this. I was really looking forward to getting new, fitted irons after quite a while with my old set. Again, I don't think the issue is with the HM Pro at all - I still feel like it should be a perfect head for me. The guys I played with on Friday said I should absolutely go back to the pro who I did the fitting with (who by the way is really a good guy and very knowledgeable so I don't really want to blame him for this situation) and let him know what's happening. The club should have a vested interest in making sure that its members are happy with their purchase, and let's face it it probably does not serve their fitting program well for other members to know that someone had to sell their new clubs online a month or so after they bought them. I will absolutely check in with him, though I wanted to get a couple more rounds in, maybe one full 18 before I do that.

    Last year I was fit for a set of P790's with the LZ 5.5. They were launch monitor beasts. They felt great on artificial turf/mats. Was so excited to get them in but what a huge disappointment. They felt like crap on grass. They were a full club shorter than my 1st generation AP1's with r300 shafts. On center hits felt harsh. I can't hit a fade with my irons to save my life but these were short with a baby fade. They just didn't have the same feeling as in the fitting bays. Had them for about 4 weeks trying to get them to work. Screwed up my swing/tempo/mechanics. Went to a couple of demo days to try different shafts but my swing was shot. Ended up selling them. Took a couple of weeks off and went to another demo days. Got fitted for a set of Ping i200s with Dynamic Gold 105 regular shafts. They worked for the rest of the season.

    This year, saw the JPX 919 HM and started to like the looks of them more and more. Tried some out on the monitors and numbers looked good. Tried a few shafts but it came down to the Modus 105 and the KBS C-Taper Lite both regular. Loved the feel of the CTL's. Got a chance to hit them outside on mats and the CTL's were balloning. The Modus had good ball flight. Going to wait for demo days to hit them off grass before make a decision whether to get the 919 HMs. I like the i200's but wished they were a little longer.

    Made an expensive mistake with the p790 shafts. Did get to hit a P790 with a CTL shaft in it late in the season last year on grass. Felt great. Had good ball flight. Really made me regret my decision in selling the clubs instead of getting them reshafted.

  • nostaticnostatic "i drank what?!?" Socrates lost angelesClubWRX Posts: 201 ClubWRX

    Just back from a semi-slow 9 holes, mid back is tender so I was trying to take it easy. Hit the HMP 7-iron with the LZ Tour graphite 6.0 3x. First was a par 3 playing 150 with a lot of wind. Hit a 3/4 knock-down with the 7i and it landed about 10' in front of the hole on the green, stopped a foot away right on line. Tap-in birdie. Next was another par 3 playing about the same yardage. Hit the same shot, landed on the green and rolled to the fringe. Lipped the putt, easy par. Last hole I was behind a tree with the ball below my feet and about 170 out. Figured I was set up to hit a hook so I took an easy swing trying to bend it around the tree. Sure enough the ball went right then came back left, short of the green by about 10 yards. Got up and down. If I'd hit a few more greens and had some putts drop it would have been a very good (for me) round. So far really liking the combination, looking forward to getting the rest of the shorter irons.

    Ping G400Max 10.5 XTorsion S - Cobra F9 3W 16 Devo7 S - F9 3H Devo8 S 
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - 919F GW - S18 55/09 PX LZ Tour 6.0 - Ping Glide2.0 Stealth 58TS
    Odyssey StrokeLab Double Wide Flow
  • DFDLTDFDLT Members Posts: 116 ✭✭

    Just took my new Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105 X to the range. Little back story, haven’t golfed routinely in years so rusty is an understatement. Seemed like the forgiveness was there. Could hear the ground still trying to absorb as much water as possible. So a ball a little chunky became really chunky. Overall, I like the size and feel of the clubs. Hit the long irons better than I expected. Trying to figure out the swing and make it more repeatable. Was going to go with the normal Hot Metal but liked the look of the smaller head shape so switched the order to the Pro at the last minute. Don’t feel like it will affect things a whole lot. Couple more trips to the range with the irons and hopefully the Ping woods will come in and we can give the course a shot.

  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,291 ClubWRX

    @DFDLT said:
    Just took my new Hot Metal Pro 4-PW with Nippon Modus 105 X to the range. Little back story, haven’t golfed routinely in years so rusty is an understatement. Seemed like the forgiveness was there. Could hear the ground still trying to absorb as much water as possible. So a ball a little chunky became really chunky. Overall, I like the size and feel of the clubs. Hit the long irons better than I expected. Trying to figure out the swing and make it more repeatable. Was going to go with the normal Hot Metal but liked the look of the smaller head shape so switched the order to the Pro at the last minute. Don’t feel like it will affect things a whole lot. Couple more trips to the range with the irons and hopefully the Ping woods will come in and we can give the course a shot.

    That’s a solid return outing. I usually am pretty awful after a long break, but by session two or three I am getting back into it. I agree you will not notice much in way of forgiveness between HM and HMP. More about which one you like to look at and also have confidence in.

    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • boycer11boycer11 ClubWRX Posts: 3,521 ClubWRX

    I played mine today for the 1st time. Pretty wet out, as it was cart path only. Hit a some good and hot some bad. Had a 170 par 3 into the wind and hit the 6 iron pin high, but left about 45 ft of the pin. Made the birdie putt. Had some that got up into the wind and ballooned on me. They dont feel as good as the 919 forged, but those had modus 105 stiff soft stepped. I look forward to hitting them more. I like the look at address a lot.

    Ping G410 lst tensei  blue/tm m5
    Tm m5 3/5 wood
    ping g410 tensei hybrid
    Mizuno jpx 919 hot metal pro 6-gw
    Tm milled grind 54/58
    taylormade my spider 
    ping hoofer
    tp5x
  • KParksKParks Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

    Quick update since I've had these in play (C Taper Lite Stiffs) for about a month now. Love them and have gone from being a high 80's / low 90's guy to my last two rounds being an 82 and a 78 (first time breaking 80!).
    Now a lot of this is more about fixing my driver issues than anything, but these irons have been great for the jump as well. Love the 5 iron (still get some bad shots with the 4 but like it more than carrying a hybrid for sure -- since hybrids are hook machines or me -- and a lot of that consistency is just my game needing more work in long iron play).
    I will say I was on the fence about getting the "set" GW (the generic 919 50 degree wedge) and I'm very happy with it now. Fits the distance and feel perfectly for me down from the set PW before I get to my 54 and 58 degree MD4s.

  • tbonetwtbonetw Members Posts: 383 ✭✭

    Still loving mine. Played 18 Friday and 18 today. Between the heads and the shafts I think they've done a fantastic job controlling the trajectory and spin. I haven't had any ballooning issues. The 4 and 5 iron launch on a mid to mid high trajectory and the mid and short irons a nice mid trajectory. Ex. I had 199 yards to flag on a par 5 today with a left to right wind. I hit 4 iron(it's my 190-195 club). Easily got up in the air on a nice trajectory and the wind really didn't move it much. Had 20 feet. The following hole I had a uphill into the wind 182 yard shot on a par 4. Hit the same club, same shot to about 25 feet. Didn't balloon at all. Frankly the 4 and 5 irons are just awesome. The long irons would be great for blend sets by themselves. But I'm happy with the full set. And I find them to be as forgiving a club as I need. Additionally I'm not having any issues stopping the ball. I came out of T-mb so my spin rates are actually a little higher with these. More spin, but lower trajectory than Tmb mid and short irons. Exactly what I was hoping for with a touch more forgiveness.

    Titleist TS3 9.5* Hzrdus Smoke
    TEE CBX 15* Hzrdus Black
    TEE CBX 18* Hzrdus Black
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hm Pro KBS C-taper lite 
    Titleist SM6 50*,54*,60**
    Wilson Infinite West Loop
    Snell MTB X
  • KarstenKKarstenK Hey Chopper, what you hitting there? Cincy, OhioMembers Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jun 10, 2019 12:36am #450

    Really enjoyed the demo with the HMP's today. Feel a hoing event building...

    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour 75
    Ping G410 14.5* Tour 75
    Ping G410 hybrid 19* Tour 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4-P 
    Titleist SM7 F 50*/S 54*/M 58* Slate Blue
    Byron DH89/Ping Ketch
  • JMH1220JMH1220 Members Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow no one has commented on these in awhile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file