ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better.

Link to full post HERE
Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro Series.

1234568»

Comments

• Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 701 ClubWRX
    I'm interested in the HMP's, but having a tough time finding a list of available shafts. These aren't even an option to purchase off the Canadian site yet.

As I'm aging I'm finding that graphite shafts help prevent a lot of the wrist and elbow discomfort I've been feeling.
    Currently bagged:
    ==============
    Driver: PXG 0811X Gen2 @ 10.5º w/ Aldila ATX Green Proto 65TX
    Fairway : Callaway Epic Flash SZ @ 15º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 75
    2H : Ping G410 @ 17º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 85
    3H : Titleist 818 H2 @ 20º w/ Atmos HB Tour Spec 8S
    Irons : TBD
    Gap Wedge : Nike Engage Square 54º
    Lob Wedge : Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Oil can 60º
    Putter : Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Competition:
    ==========
    Fairways: F9 Tour, Epic Flash SZ, M5 Titanium
    Hybrids: 818 H2, G410
    Irons: 785's, P760's, '19 Apex Pro, Hot Metal Pro, 699's
  • Go Horns!Go Horns! Advanced Members Posts: 106 ✭✭

I'm interested in the HMP's, but having a tough time finding a list of available shafts. These aren't even an option to purchase off the Canadian site yet.

As I'm aging I'm finding that graphite shafts help prevent a lot of the wrist and elbow discomfort I've been feeling.

You can order any of the available Mizuno iron shafts with them.
    So, I found the shafts/grips link. Only three options for graphite: True Temper ProjectX LZ, LZ Tour and the Recoil 95. Not exactly a plethora of options.
    Currently bagged:
    ==============

Competition:
    ==========
  • DavethegolferDavethegolfer Advanced Members Posts: 355 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:

Love the look of these at address but the sole width is a no go for me I'm afraid

Did you hit them? What are you playing now?

I’ve done indoor and outdoor testing. The way Mizuno countoured the sole I found the HM Pro’s went through the turf very well. Same out of thick juicy winter rough. My MMC’s have thinner soles than the HM Pro and I had zero issues. I hit my wife’s HM irons without any issue with the sole.
    I am playing the SC and yes I have tried them both indoors and out. It may just be psychological but I have always been very sensitive to sole width - I guess we are all different
  • hd.softailhd.softail Advanced Members Posts: 451 ✭✭
    edited March 12
    Hit both the Hot Metal and HM Pro side by side today. Agree 100% with the sole comment. Not exactly like you but I went in thinking HM was all mine but shot after shot was much cleaner contact with the HM Pro. Thinner sole of the Pro made a big difference for my swing. Really wish the HM Pro had the same offset as the forged...!
  • agoodmanmbkagoodmanmbk Advanced Members Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    How are those people that opted for the Hot Metal Gap Wedge fairing?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist TS2 Tensei Pro White 60
    Titleist TS2 14.25* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70
    PING G410 19* Tensei Pro Blue 80
    PING i210 4-UW Project X LZ
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56*SS/60*SS
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
  • reider69reider69 Advanced Members Posts: 575 ✭✭
    edited March 13
    I didnt get to hit HMP today but had the 9 iron in my hand. Very compact from heel to toe and nice topline. I was very impressed with looks at address. I really dislike the 919 forged in the looks department so I was really surprised how much I liked these. Fitter carries all the major brands and said they are selling a ton of it the HMP already. I was also told that Brooks Koepka has put a 4 iron HMP in his bag. Will have to see if that is true tomorrow when the Players starts.
    Cobra F7 - Matrix Ozik Black Tie M4 70 X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac Advanced Members Posts: 519 ✭✭

So, I found the shafts/grips link. Only three options for graphite: True Temper ProjectX LZ, LZ Tour and the Recoil 95. Not exactly a plethora of options.

Recoil is an option for the HMP? Got a link?
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • Hammer22Hammer22 Advanced Members Posts: 412 ✭✭
    IamMarkMac wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Mizuno+custom+shafts
    nflam-button.png
    Hammer22 wrote:

IamMarkMac wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...o custom shafts

ROFLMAO!!! We use this a lot at work when the developers ask some lazy-a** questions.
    Currently bagged:
    ==============

Competition:
    ==========
  • gridironesqgridironesq Advanced Members Posts: 519 ✭✭
    IamMarkMac wrote:

Ordered HMP 6-pw and 919 forged gap to match the offset better. All with recoil 95 shafts for no up charge 😉🏌🏻
    Current Gamers
    ROGUE 10.5*, FUJI PRO 53 STIFF
    TEE XCG5 3WD, ROGUE 5W, FLASH 7W
    PING G 400 26*HYBRID
    MIZUNO HM PRO 7-PW, 919F GW
    CALLY MD 4 - 56* & 60*
    GIANNINI G1
    TM PROJECT (a)

IamMarkMac wrote:

Ordered HMP 6-pw and 919 forged gap to match the offset better. All with recoil 95 shafts for no up charge 😉🏌🏻

Where from? I’m interested in that shaft...
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    IamMarkMac wrote:

IamMarkMac wrote:

Where from? I’m interested in that shaft...

All shafts offered by Mizuno are available without upcharge.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Advanced Members Posts: 6,666 ✭✭
    How does Mizuno figure out loft adjustments when doing combos sets? If a combo set is done with HMP/Forged, how are lofts adjusted when one face is "hot?" It has to be more than just making the lofts equal to full sets?
  • JFM628JFM628 Advanced Members Posts: 91 ✭✭

Coming from the i210's in power spec the HM Pro's are considerably longer. But they also seem to be more forgiving. With the one round I have played with the HM Pro's its a small sample size but I like what I see.

I am very interested in your thoughts here...I was fitted and I am between these two sets. I want to pull the trigger on HMP's but I am somewhat concerned about the low bounce as I am little bit of a digger.

If you or anyone else has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate it.
    edited March 14
    JFM628 wrote:

Coming from the i210's in power spec the HM Pro's are considerably longer. But they also seem to be more forgiving. With the one round I have played with the HM Pro's its a small sample size but I like what I see.

I am very interested in your thoughts here...I was fitted and I am between these two sets. I want to pull the trigger on HMP's but I am somewhat concerned about the low bounce as I am little bit of a digger.

I will say that for the most part since the sole is wide and the leading edge is rounded on the HM Pro's the bounce should not come into play. If you catch these irons fat or dig I would think it would be more of a swing fault than club issue. Also make sure your lie is set up correctly. I played the Power Spec and Blue Dot (1* upright) in the i210's and those lie settings are almost 2* up from the standard lie of the HM Pro's. I had the HM Pro's bent 1* weak to increase spin a smidge and 1* upright. hope this helps.
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
  • JFM628JFM628 Advanced Members Posts: 91 ✭✭

JFM628 wrote:

I will say that for the most part since the sole is wide and the leading edge is rounded on the HM Pro's the bounce should not come into play. If you catch these irons fat or dig I would think it would be more of a swing fault than club issue. Also make sure your lie is set up correctly. I played the Power Spec and Blue Dot (1* upright) in the i210's and those lie settings are almost 2* up from the standard lie of the HM Pro's. I had the HM Pro's bent 1* weak to increase spin a smidge and 1* upright. hope this helps.

Thanks - very helpful. I am playing the Mizuno 800's now and thought I may try more bounce but I am leaning to HMP's. Thanks for the heads up on the lie angles. Going to hit both outside and then get final fitting.

Where are you distance-wise with the HMP's bent weak compared to the i200 power spec?
    edited March 14
    JFM628 wrote:

JFM628 wrote:

Thanks - very helpful. I am playing the Mizuno 800's now and thought I may try more bounce but I am leaning to HMP's. Thanks for the heads up on the lie angles. Going to hit both outside and then get final fitting.

Where are you distance-wise with the HMP's bent weak compared to the i200 power spec?

I am still a full club longer with the HMP's than the i210 power spec. So about 165 carry with the HMP

*********let us know your thoughts after hitting both
    TaylorMade Spider X Navy
    TaylorMade TP5
  • balls_deepballs_deep Advanced Members Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited March 14

JFM628 wrote:

Agreed. I think a lot of the "digger" comments are people getting steep on the downswing and catching it even just a touch heavy. Tour guys who are great at shallowing the downswing and technically have a shallow angle of attack are still taking pelts 4 inches after the ball have no issue with low bounce. Also, the HMP have pretty wide soles on them so will still have lots of "effective" bounce.
    Titleist 915D2 10.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60S
    Titleist 917F2 16.5 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Titleist 816H1 20* and 24* w/ Accra FX200H M4
    Irons TBD
    Vokey SM7 50F, 54F, and 58D w/ DG Tour Issue Onyx S400
    Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1 Armlock 42" (Testing)
    Pro V1x
  • jimsmithleedsjimsmithleeds Advanced Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Just picked up CLK Hybrids 4 + 5, HMP 6-W, plus 3 S18 Wedges in blue IP......

Not regretting it either.....
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZU65 5 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/font]

I'm going to end up with close to the same.
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • jimsmithleedsjimsmithleeds Advanced Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    IamMarkMac wrote:

Loving them to be honest, hybrids look great, irons perform really well and the feel on the forged wedges is amazing.

Always played Mizuno wedges, this is the first set of irons though, good to have joined the Mizuno family at last
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 917D2 9.5 Diamana red R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylor Made M2 16.5 Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Epic Heaven Wood [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Diamana green R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZH65 22 degree Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZU65 5 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miyazaki Kaula 7 R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z565 6-W Nippon NS Pro 950GH R[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno S18 50/55/60[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bettinardi Studio Stock 3 [/font]

IamMarkMac wrote:

Loving them to be honest, hybrids look great, irons perform really well and the feel on the forged wedges is amazing.

Always played Mizuno wedges, this is the first set of irons though, good to have joined the Mizuno family at last

I just came from the shop today and spent an hour hitting because well, mine haven't arrived yet. And I told them I was going to take a while because of that.

I'm kind of on the fence with the hybrids. I've been having success with the more iron-like hybrids (GAPR, Crossover) and the Mizuno hybrids are pretty big.
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • OrlandogolfguruOrlandogolfguru OrlandoGolfGuru ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 1,952 ClubWRX
    edited March 16
    IamMarkMac wrote:

IamMarkMac wrote:

I just came from the shop today and spent an hour hitting because well, mine haven't arrived yet. And I told them I was going to take a while because of that.

I'm kind of on the fence with the hybrids. I've been having success with the more iron-like hybrids (GAPR, Crossover) and the Mizuno hybrids are pretty big.
    I got 4/5 hot metal and 6/pw pro, instead of hybrids. So far so good. Can see the back out of HM, almost like a crossover.
    TaylorMade M6 Driver
    Cobra F9 Fwy
    TaylorMade M6 Hyb
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro Irons
    Corey Paul Torched 1020 Wedges
    Mannkrafted 1/1 OGG Putter
    Bridgestone ball, Sun Mountain Bag

I got 4/5 hot metal and 6/pw pro, instead of hybrids. So far so good. Can see the back out of HM, almost like a crossover.

I'd love to game that setup but I've lost some swing speed over the years. That little extra heft of the iron-type hybrids really helps. Maybe once my swing is more grooved...
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • golfjamgolfjam Advanced Members Posts: 530 ✭✭
    Got my set 4-9 CTLX 1 strong this week and had 2 range sessions and 27 holes. They're long, like crazy long. Almost 1.5 clubs and fly really high. But they're very workable, you can lower the flight if you want. That's the main difference with P790 and i500 which I owned also. I couldn't control a punch shot with them, the face was too hot sometimes and just flew by. HM Pro will fly and stop, 9 iron even spun back a couple of yards to my surprise.

Forgiveness is ridiculous, thin shots will run maybe 90% of the distance and fat shots will fly less but compensate with roll. Feel is ok, my previous set was a MP18 MB and it's hard to beat. Sound is a little weird but decent, doesn't have the same twack on solid shots but you can tell right away when you missed the sweet spot.

Overall I'm happy and plan to keep for the remainder of 2019. It's obviously a distance iron but like others said it's mostly due to loft. I think Mizuno has a winner here, it's not as expensive as other clubs in the market and they definitely deliver. If you're like me who's getting older and losing distance, please give these a try.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Fuji Speeder Evo IV 757 X
    Callaway XR16 15 Fuji Speeder TS 7.2 S
    Ping G 17.5 Proforce V2 70 X
    Mizuno 919 HM Pro 4-9 C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno S18 46/50/55/60 X100
    Whitlam Gauge Design
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaAdvanced Members Posts: 2,555 ✭✭
    golfjam wrote:

If you're like me who's getting older and losing distance, please give these a try.

This right here is why I keep going back to test the HM Pro irons. I love my MMC’s and still do however picking up over 5 yards per club with no loss of playability consistency or accuracy is something I can’t ignore.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 105 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2
    Titleist Pro V1
  • DNice26DNice26 Advanced Members Posts: 4,138 ✭✭
    golfjam wrote:
    Got my set 4-9 CTLX 1 strong this week and had 2 range sessions and 27 holes. They're long, like crazy long. Almost 1.5 clubs and fly really high. But they're very workable, you can lower the flight if you want. That's the main difference with P790 and i500 which I owned also. I couldn't control a punch shot with them, the face was too hot sometimes and just flew by. HM Pro will fly and stop, 9 iron even spun back a couple of yards to my surprise.

Forgiveness is ridiculous, thin shots will run maybe 90% of the distance and fat shots will fly less but compensate with roll. Feel is ok, my previous set was a MP18 MB and it's hard to beat. Sound is a little weird but decent, doesn't have the same twack on solid shots but you can tell right away when you missed the sweet spot.

Overall I'm happy and plan to keep for the remainder of 2019. It's obviously a distance iron but like others said it's mostly due to loft. I think Mizuno has a winner here, it's not as expensive as other clubs in the market and they definitely deliver. If you're like me who's getting older and losing distance, please give these a try.

Have you played the CTL for a while? I’m a long time CT guy and looking to maybe buy a set with CTLX this time around. Do you really like them?

Thanks!
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
  • golfjamgolfjam Advanced Members Posts: 530 ✭✭
    DNice26 said:
    golfjam wrote:

Have you played the CTL for a while? I’m a long time CT guy and looking to maybe buy a set with CTLX this time around. Do you really like them?

Thanks!
    I played them a few years back and really liked. I used to play X100 but tried something lighter due to an annoying on and off tennis elbow. 
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Fuji Speeder Evo IV 757 X
    Callaway XR16 15 Fuji Speeder TS 7.2 S
    Ping G 17.5 Proforce V2 70 X
    Mizuno 919 HM Pro 4-9 C Taper Lite X
    Mizuno S18 46/50/55/60 X100
    Whitlam Gauge Design
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Advanced Members Posts: 214 ✭✭
    My HM Pro 5-PW plus 919 HM Gap wedge came in yesterday. Took about a week or so to get them from when I was fitted and the order was placed. Unfortunately, I only got to hit about ten balls with them yesterday before I needed to head out but they seemed great so far from that small sample size. I went with the Project X LZ 5.5 shafts and the MCC Plus 4 grips. I think it's going to be a good set up for me, although I have to say the MCC Plus 4's may be a bit of an adjustment for me, coming from the Winn Dri-tac. I like bigger grips, so that shouldn't be an issue, but the firmness is definitely going to be something I need to adjust to from the soft Dri-tacs.

Anyway, I hope I can get a range session and some time out on the course this weekend to confirm (hopefully!) that I made a good choice.
  • willseowillseo Advanced Members Posts: 76 ✭✭
    I ordered a Hot Metal Pro 4 iron direct from Mizuno and it came back so out of spec. 1) They built it with a standard Hot Metal head, not the pro 2) Instead of a midsize grip they installed a std and added +4 tape 3) and loft was off by 2 deg. Pretty disappointed in the Mizuno's build quality. 
    Mizuno ST190G 9.0 - Tensei PRO White 70 Stiff
    Ping G410 Crossover 2 iron - Accra 110i XStiff
    Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron Project X LZ Graphite 6.0
    Mizuno JPX919 Forged 4-GW - Project X LZ 6.0
    Mizuno S18 Wedges 52-09 & 58-08 - Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Glide 2.0 Steath 58-14 WS
    Wilson Infinite West Loop Putter
    Picking my 919 HMPs tomorrow. Trying to decide if I should pick up the set's gap wedge or pick up a 50 wedge. 
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
  • BlackM00NlightBlackM00Nlight Advanced Members Posts: 3,153 ✭✭
    Picking my 919 HMPs tomorrow. Trying to decide if I should pick up the set's gap wedge or pick up a 50 wedge. 
    I’d get a 50 wedge solely based on the fact the hot metal gap isn’t the pro version and looks out of place 😂
    Nike Vapor Fly 10.5 Tensei Blue 55 X
    Nike Vapor Fly 15 Tensei Blue 65F X
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Vapor Pro Combo 2-A wedge AMT X100 (plus 1/2" 3 up)[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage Dual Sole 58 DG S400 (plus 1/2" 3up)[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Origin B1-01 [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]35" put[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]ter[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike RZN Tour Platinum[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike TW 71 White/Pure Platinum[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 71 Wolf Grey/University Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 University Red/Black[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Metallic Silver/Black[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Black/University Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike TW 15 Midnight Navy/Black[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Lunar Vapor Storm Black/Solar Red[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Performance Cart IV Black/Silver[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Nike Vapor Fly Umbrella[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag Boy [/font]Tri-Swivel II Push-Cart Black
    I’d get a 50 wedge solely based on the fact the hot metal gap isn’t the pro version and looks out of place 😂
    If you can’t play, display. I have no issue going on the basis of looks. Besides, can’t really go wrong with that blue ion s18. Looker and a performer.
    Ping G400 LST 10
    Ping G400 3W 14.5
    Ping G400 3H 19
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58
    Bettinardi BB1
1234568»