iBlade update/refresh?

IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
Howdy yall!

I wanted to check in to see if anyone had any insight into a possible iBlade update coming from Ping.

They have been reasonably popular, but they were released almost 2 years ago (does not seem that long ago).

I know Ping doesn't necessarily stick to the standard cycle on these types of clubs. But had anyone seen/heard of anything?

Comments

• b81smithb81smith ClubWRX Posts: 745 ✭✭
    Not sure. It would be sweet though. I wonder if we can see when i200 came out vs iblade and expect a similar outcome or time between releases as before. I know for i210 they took a little while. We saw a large price drop in the week the next mode started to surface
    Ben S
    Hailing from North Aurora
    WITB:
    Smoke Wagon: Ping G LST 10.5 with Diamana Blue (JDM version) 70X set to standard
    Fairway: Ping G 3 wood - 14.5 with Tour 80 or UST Mamiya Axivcore Tour Red 89 in X flex set to standard
    Hybrid: Ping G 3 hybrid 19 deg with Tour 90 in S flex tipped .5 extra
    Irons: 4-P Mizuno MP-30 all weighted to D5 with DG x-100's
    Wedges: 50, 54, 58 - Ping Glide 2.0 all with DG S-400
    Putter: Mizuno Black Carbon by Bettinardi - BC-1 flamed finish
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,826 ✭✭
    I would love a new s55. The i500 and I did not get along at all
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

I would love a new s55. The i500 and I did not get along at all

Yes!!!!

s55 is such a good looking clue as well !!!!
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • TexasCarlosTexasCarlos Unregistered Posts: 861 ✭✭
    Love the IBlade, the S55 and I did not match well which is a shame for such a gorgeous club. Would love the S55 look with Iblade feel and height.
    G400 LST
    TM SLDR TS
    Apex UT 18'
    Apex MB 18'
    RTX 2.0 Raw
    Ping Anser Milled
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    edited Sep 6, 2018 #6
    Stealth iBlade... C'mon now!

I play s59s and cant get rid of them. I need something to force my hand lol
  • doublehansdoublehans Members Posts: 642 ✭✭
    was 3yr cycle from s55 to iblade (think it was the same from s56 to s55 too?) which would be next summer. but could see the iblade refresh being less formal as to replacement cycle than the other lines (which are generally 18mos). g400s should be next in line to refresh at the beginning of 2019 but that doesn't necessarily mean iblade couldn't come at same time, tho perhaps less likely.
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Love my iBlades, but I'm currently having an affair with a gorgeous set of new MP-18s I picked up. So nice. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
    Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
  • dbleagdbleag Members Posts: 2,876 ✭✭
    Still liking my S56's.
  • FairwindsgolferFairwindsgolfer Members Posts: 616
    wrmiller wrote:

Love my iBlades, but I'm currently having an affair with a gorgeous set of new MP-18s I picked up. So nice. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Are you playing the MP18 blades?
  • wrmillerwrmiller Members Posts: 1,569 ✭✭

wrmiller wrote:

Yes, or I will be playing them in my next round of golf. Took them to the range today for the first time after adjusting the loft and lie (1 degree strong, 3 degrees upright) and was amazed to find that I didn't loose any net distance going to these vs. my iBlades. I stuffed some Recoil 670 F4s that I had in the garage into them and again, was pleasantly surprised with the distance and ball flight. Looking forward to playing these real soon.

It could be a little while before I go back to playing my iBlades. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Primary bag:
    Titleist 913 D3 8.5
    Titleist 915Fd 13.5
    Titleist 913h 17
    Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
    Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
    Ping G400 9
    Ping G30 fw 13
    Ping G30 hybrid 19
    Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
    Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60
    edited Sep 6, 2018 #12
    wrmiller wrote:

wrmiller wrote:

Yes, or I will be playing them in my next round of golf. Took them to the range today for the first time after adjusting the loft and lie (1 degree strong, 3 degrees upright) and was amazed to find that I didn't loose any net distance going to these vs. my iBlades. I stuffed some Recoil 670 F4s that I had in the garage into them and again, was pleasantly surprised with the distance and ball flight. Looking forward to playing these real soon.

It could be a little while before I go back to playing my iBlades. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I am happy to hear that they're treating you well so far.

I am completely torn at the moment whether to get the MP 18 sc/m b combos or a combination of the 919 tour and forged.

One part of me is saying that I should go with the former because I was already fitted into a set and the latter part of me is saying hold off for the 919's.

However, I absolutely love the way that the MP18 line looks and will likely end up going with that because I've had my heart set on them since May.

As a matter of fact, can I ask you to do me a solid and PM me a brief review of how you found them to be on the golf course?

It would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,774 ✭✭
    Going back to s55 as of tomorrow. Love them when I played them before. So going back to them will be a treat
    Taylormade M6 9.0 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Taylormade M5 rocket 14* Tensei Pro orange 80tx 
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭
    wrmiller wrote:

wrmiller wrote:

Blasphemy!! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G25 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Ping Ketsch Vault 2.0
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • nilopolnilopol Members Posts: 676
    After being lost getting rid of my s56’s, iblades 5-w have me back to my comfort zone!
  • lordemsworthlordemsworth Members Posts: 1,283 ✭✭
    Kale_m wrote:

Going back to s55 as of tomorrow. Love them when I played them before. So going back to them will be a treat

Moving away from your 716s?
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,692 ✭✭
    I agree with others, s55 was their best set of compact irons in the last decade. PING staffers seem to agree as well, lots of them still playing s55.

The thing that was great about s55 was the sharp looks in the bag, compact look at address, and they actually were quite forgiving. Very playable.

Maybe PING will get back to that line and do an S54.
  • Kale_mKale_m Members Posts: 1,774 ✭✭

Kale_m wrote:

Moving away from your 716s?

Yes. They are great. No issues with them. Just loved the s55 when I had them. Found a set that are mint and going to trade straight across
    Taylormade M6 9.0 (set to 7.5) Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
    Taylormade M5 rocket 14* Tensei Pro orange 80tx 
    Taylormade 790 UDI 2 iron Tensei Pro White 90tx
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Tm spider x 35” navy with true path alignment
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,530 ✭✭
    i would suggest to ping to make an I500 tour irons. Slightly smaller head, regular lofts, and maybe decrease the springiness of the face so that it was less of a "distance iron". they look great just tweak it for a tour model.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • mason82mason82 Members Posts: 777 ✭✭
    I would be curious to see what they can do, I think the iblades are perfect. I went back to them- the feel, looks, and performance are just too good.
    Taylormade M6, Oban Kiyoshi HB
    Taylormade M5 15*, Atmos TS Black
    Taylormade M4 5HL, Atmos TS Red
    Miura MC 501, P-4, PX LZ 6.0
    Miura 2018 wedge 51*, S400
    Miura 2018 wedge 55*, S400
    Miura 2018 wedge 59*, S400
    Odyssey versa 9
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    I really liked my iBlades. From address, they were one of the best looking bats ever. Sadly, they went way too high. They might have “blade” in their name, but they’re very much a GI masquerading as a players iron (not an entirely bad thing).

I would like to see Ping release a forged true players iron.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • SnapHooker_605SnapHooker_605 Members Posts: 749 ✭✭

I really liked my iBlades. From address, they were one of the best looking bats ever. Sadly, they went way too high. They might have “blade” in their name, but they’re very much a GI masquerading as a players iron (not an entirely bad thing).

I would like to see Ping release a forged true players iron.

The description you just gave has me extremely curious, I might have to try to pick up a set. That is exactly what I am trying to find!
    Cobra King F8 Driver  Aldila NV-2KXV 65 Stiff
    Cobra King F8 3-4 Wood (16.0 degree setting, -1/2")
    Cobra King F7 3-4 Hybrid (21.5 degree setting)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4 Iron Thru G Wedge - Stock Steel Shafts
    Titleist Spin Milled SM 5 54/10 degree and 58/8 Degree - Stock Steel Shafts
    Odyssey White Ice Rossie (34")
  • rkristopherandersonrkristopheranderson Members Posts: 434 ✭✭
    nova6868 wrote:
    I agree with others, s55 was their best set of compact irons in the last decade. PING staffers seem to agree as well, lots of them still playing s55.

The thing that was great about s55 was the sharp looks in the bag, compact look at address, and they actually were quite forgiving. Very playable.

Maybe PING will get back to that line and do an S54.

Yeah, this is my 4th season with the s55 and I’ve yet to pick up a club that made me think, “I like the way that sits behind the ball better than what I’ve got.”
    Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
    Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
    Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
    Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
    Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
    Vokey SM4 60-04
    Scotty Cameron California Monterrey
    QuigleyDU wrote:

i would suggest to ping to make an I500 tour irons. Slightly smaller head, regular lofts, and maybe decrease the springiness of the face so that it was less of a "distance iron". they look great just tweak it for a tour model.

I have not hit the I500's, but nonetheless was disappointed when I learned they are more of a distance iron than tour iron.

The thought of a true ping forged iron sounded awesome
  • ATXHornATXHorn Members Posts: 636 ✭✭
    The iBlade is one of the more underrated irons of the last few years IMO. They are the perfect combination of performance & forgiveness. I only wish they made a 50* wedge.
    Ping G400 Max w/HZDUS Yellow 7X
    Rogue FW w/HZDUS Yellow 8X
    3-5i Ping i500 w/steelfiber 110x
    6i-PW Ping iBlade w/steelfiber 110x
    50SS & 54SS Stealth Glide 2.0 - 60 Glide Forged w/Paderson Wedge Stiff
    Ping PLD3 w/counterbalanced PP60
    Titleist AVX or Chromesoft
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,713 ✭✭

QuigleyDU wrote:

I have not hit the I500's, but nonetheless was disappointed when I learned they are more of a distance iron than tour iron.

WTH is a tour iron and a distance iron? The i500 can be ordered in retro lofts and get plenty of play on tours worldwide.
    edited Sep 7, 2018 #27
    iteachgolf wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

WTH is a tour iron and a distance iron? The i500 can be ordered in retro lofts and get plenty of play on tours worldwide.

I didn't realize my comment would engender such a volatile response. This is golf, not politics, why do you care so much?

I guess I'll reiterate my point..

I originally thought the I500's would be based off a more traditional forging model.

As for it being more of a distance iron, perhaps this excerpt from golf digest will explain it better..

"Epitomizing that search for precision boosted with power, or more correctly, power accented with precision, is the Ping i500, a more compact version of the flexible face-insert, hollow-body technology first seen in Ping’s Crossover hybrid irons."

Regarding your claim that it gets plenty of play on tours..when did I say it didn't?
    iteachgolf wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

I decided to follow up on your claim that the ping i500's are played on plenty of tours worldwide.

It turns out that you couldn't be any more wrong. One out of the 19 professional golfers listed on pings website has them playing the i500 and that is Tony Finau. And it just so happens that he's playing with just the I500 3 iron.

I put the link here just in case you want to refute..

http://ping.com/pros/pga-tour

I am sure the i500 are awesome clubs, and this whole thing started out by me simply saying that I was hoping they would be more of a traditional forged model.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,713 ✭✭

iteachgolf wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

I decided to follow up on your claim that the ping i500's are played on plenty of tours worldwide.

It turns out that you couldn't be any more wrong. One out of the 19 professional golfers listed on pings website has them playing the i500 and that is Tony Finau. And it just so happens that he's playing with just the I500 3 iron.

I am sure the i500 are awesome clubs, and this whole thing started out by me simply saying that I was hoping they would be more of a traditional forged model.

They are in play on tour. And will be in play a lot more next year. Guys don’t switch mid season. I have severa players testing them. And the website isn’t always accurate. There were a lot in play at the PGA.

The Titleist 718cb is the same construction. So are the PXG and Taylormade 790s. It was known from day one it was a hollow forged iron.

And I didn’t say anything volatile. I asked a simple question.
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭
    I still fantasize about a new release of the Eye 2+ in BeCu with modern grooves & lofts. It's my happy place..........................
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 19*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    Maltby Tricept F1 6-GW
    Callaway Sure Out 56*
    Odyssey V-Line
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,784 ✭✭
    iteachgolf wrote:

iteachgolf wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

They are in play on tour. And will be in play a lot more next year. Guys don’t switch mid season. I have severa players testing them. And the website isn’t always accurate. There were a lot in play at the PGA.

The Titleist 718cb is the same construction. So are the PXG and Taylormade 790s. It was known from day one it was a hollow forged iron.

And I didn’t say anything volatile. I asked a simple question.

Lol your first word was “WTH”. It was a strong start iTeach.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.