GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

What is the purpose of three piece Surlyn covered balls?

2»

Comments

• agolf1agolf1 Members  1971WRX Points: 1,131Posts: 1,971 Platinum Tees

I've always wondered why the 3-piece surlyn was made. Seemed particular odd with Callaway; the SuperSoft was 2-piece and then the SuperHot (normal and Costco) was 3-piece.

To me, the compression/softness always seemed like the biggest difference among these type of balls. It does seem like there is some difference in say the SuperSoft, SoftFeel, and Trusoft vs the cheapest surlyn balls with spin. However, I don't know if I am mistaking the feel/sound for how it's actually spinning.

That being said, I think the Titleist Velocity spins less than the Trusoft around the greens and they both seem to have a nicer feeling cover so I guess there are various factors here.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • LumpyPocketsLumpyPockets Members  52WRX Points: 53Posts: 52 Bunkers

I play a dead hands toe down basic putting motion chip shot. Just practiced on my carpet with a k3, Wilson Staff FG Tour, Pinnacle Rush, and Wilson Staff Duo Spin. My miss hit with this type of chip is typically short and it's very clear the surlyn balls are going further on my mishit than the urethane balls, which means a shorter putt as my short game miss in inevitably short. I think I'm going to go with some surlyn's for a bit and see how that works out.

Posted:
    In the Sun Mountain Three.Five aka The Bag of Shame:

Epic Flash 10.5
    HiBore XLS 2 Wood
    Epic 5w -1*
    Cleveland Launcher HB 4-S
    O Works #7
  • pallmallpallmall Members  26WRX Points: 20Posts: 26 Bunkers

On -, @LumpyPockets said:

If the cover is low spin why bother with a mantle layer? There seems to be quite a few three piece ionomer covered balls out there and I'm dying to know why.

If soft Surlyn is used for a 2 piece ball, it can have less ball speed. Adding a hard mantle layer can help to gain some ball speed.
    If hard Surlyn is used for a 2 piece ball, it can have hard feel. Also, when core is too soft and cover is too hard, durability may be an issue. Adding a soft mantle can help with better feel and durability. Also spin performance will be much better than 2 piece Surlyn ball, especially in short game.

Posted:
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11797WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,797 Titanium Tees

I played about 50 rounds with the original e6. It did not spin a lick. Remarkably low on approach shots with mid-irons or even wedges. That's all I know. Can't speak to where that magazine came up with their own conclusions.

P.S. And at the time, Bridgestone advertised that it had less spin in order to fly straighter.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers  4185WRX Points: 254Handicap: 10.5Posts: 4,185 Titanium Tees

granted urethane covers generate spin off the club face but isn’t there a factor too of the cover material and how it interacts with the green as well in terms of “bite” and check up ?

Posted:

Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Xrail  4h | 5h

Cobra  T-Rail 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Exotics Wingman 01

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

• arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  696WRX Points: 387Handicap: 14.5Posts: 696 Golden Tee

On -, @erock9174 said:

granted urethane covers generate spin off the club face but isn’t there a factor too of the cover material and how it interacts with the green as well in terms of “bite” and check up ?

I wouldn't think so. The green isn't going to be able to generate enough friction to deform either a urethane or surlyn cover.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Advertisement
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11797WRX Points: 1,601Posts: 11,797 Titanium Tees

I think friend erock is thinking of some of those really gritty finished matte Surlyn balls vs. the usual kind with the really smooth and shiny clearcoat of paint. Not sure it actually does make a difference but when you feel them it seems like there has to be some effect of that rough texture when checking up or rolling.

I tried some of the Volvik rough-matte-finish ones (I think it was Volvik) a couple years ago and could have sworn it was grabbing a little more on very short bump-and-run shots through the fringes.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members  6697WRX Points: 318Posts: 6,697 Titanium Tees

Besides Wilson Duo Soft Spin, what are other similar balls in this 3 piece surlyn softer category? I know Volvik is. But, do not care for matte or very firm balls.

Posted:
  • arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers  696WRX Points: 387Handicap: 14.5Posts: 696 Golden Tee

On -, @Tanner25 said:

Besides Wilson Duo Soft Spin, what are other similar balls in this 3 piece surlyn softer category? I know Volvik is. But, do not care for matte or very firm balls.

The Callaway ERC Soft is a 3 piece surlyn ball. The TaylorMade Project S is two piece, but has a dual density core that makes it effectively 3 piece. The e6 was at one time a 3 piece.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Ping G410 4H
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Back when e6 was 3pc it had a quite high compression number IIRC. Maybe 85-90-ish?

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • chippa13chippa13 Members  2592WRX Points: 376Posts: 2,592 Titanium Tees

No chance the E6 was that high. I still have some '13s and they are my go to soft ball when my game is heading really south for the day.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @chippa13 said:

No chance the E6 was that high. I still have some '13s and they are my go to soft ball when my game is heading really south for the day.

Just went and looked up some old compression "test" charts. The original e6 in 2006 was 76 on a "ATTI" tester. The e6 plus one year later was 73 on the same "ATTI".

So my memory was wrong, it was mid-70's and not mid-80's.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Tanner25 said:

The Callaway ERC Soft is a 3 piece surlyn ball. The TaylorMade Project S is two piece, but has a dual density core that makes it effectively 3 piece. The e6 was at one time a 3 piece.

I guess Callaway ERC Soft would be a good one if you can get past the higher cost, a good suggestion thx. What is the compression, 60?

Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7349WRX Points: 1,414Handicap: 7Posts: 7,349 Titanium Tees

On -, @North Butte said:

On -, @chippa13 said:

Just went and looked up some old compression "test" charts. The original e6 in 2006 was 76 on a "ATTI" tester. The e6 plus one year later was 73 on the same "ATTI".

So my memory was wrong, it was mid-70's and not mid-80's.

That mid 70s puts it fairly close to the Wilson 50 Elite, which was tested with ATTI device at 72 by GolfBallSpec.

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila ProtoPype 80x, 43.5"
    3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 42"
    3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300
    Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    Also sometimes swap in old school woods at top of bag, various Golden Ram, MacGregor, or Orlimar persimmons
  • hybrid25hybrid25 michiganMembers  1596WRX Points: 179Posts: 1,596 Platinum Tees

If I am going to play a surlyn covered golf ball, I will usually play the Top Flite Bomb . It is long and straight and enjoy a harder golf ball for clubface feedback. As far as the E6 balls, and also the E12 type balls, I don't really care for them too much. In my opinion you pay for the name and not the performance. In other words they are no better to me than a Top Flite bomb for my game. I am a 14 handicap and usually play a urethane covered ball like Bridgestone bx, Srixon zstar, Titleist ProVs, etc., for the best chance for green side action. Also, all this hype about softer balls traveling farther for golfers to me isn't valid, it's more for feel off the clubface.

Posted:
  • storm319storm319 USMembers  4379WRX Points: 540Posts: 4,379 Titanium Tees

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Tanner25 said:

TM Project S is a straight forward 3-piece (single core, single mantle, ionomer cover). The “dual-distance” core marketing is confusing in that they refer to the mantle as a core however it is really just a conventional ionomer mantle. This is essentially the next ball in the lineage of the Maxfli Tour Fire>TM Burner TP>Rocketballz>Aeroburner Pro.

The ERC Soft is a true dual core 3-piece (no mantle) similar to the legacy Titleist NXT Tour. These have more in common with a 2-piece ball than a multilayer ball with mantle layers.

On -, @Tanner25 here are your options from the big OEMs current lines:

Bridgestone e12 Soft
    TM Project S
    Wilson Duo Soft Spin

IMHO, you may as well be looking at urethane balls when venturing into this price range.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @storm319 said:

On -, @arbeck said:

On -, @Tanner25 said:

TM Project S is a straight forward 3-piece (single core, single mantle, ionomer cover). The “dual-distance” core marketing is confusing in that they refer to the mantle as a core however it is really just a conventional ionomer mantle. This is essentially the next ball in the lineage of the Maxfli Tour Fire>TM Burner TP>Rocketballz>Aeroburner Pro.

The ERC Soft is a true dual core 3-piece (no mantle) similar to the legacy Titleist NXT Tour. These have more in common with a 2-piece ball than a multilayer ball with mantle layers.

On -, @Tanner25 here are your options from the big OEMs current lines:

Bridgestone e12 Soft
    TM Project S
    Wilson Duo Soft Spin

IMHO, you may as well be looking at urethane balls when venturing into this price range.

Thx Storm319. Agreed for a few more dollars, you are in the TMa, QST range.

Posted:
  • j.a.j.a. Members  1750WRX Points: 194Posts: 1,750 Platinum Tees

On -, @North Butte said:

I played about 50 rounds with the original e6. It did not spin a lick. Remarkably low on approach shots with mid-irons or even wedges. That's all I know. Can't speak to where that magazine came up with their own conclusions.

P.S. And at the time, Bridgestone advertised that it had less spin in order to fly straighter.

Yep, that was my experience as well, moreover it never stopped around the greens, every shot was like a bump and (very long) run. I also tried the B330RX with mixed results. After a while I switched to the Srixon Tri-Speed Tour and currently using Chrome Soft and Optima CS.

Posted:
  • deepreddeepred Members  352WRX Points: 104Handicap: 12Posts: 352 Greens

E6 was nearly the worst ball I have ever played >

On -, @j.a. said:

On -, @North Butte said:

Yep, that was my experience as well, moreover it never stopped around the greens, every shot was like a bump and (very long) run. I also tried the B330RX with mixed results. After a while I switched to the Srixon Tri-Speed Tour and currently using Chrome Soft and Optima CS.

Posted:
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.