What is the purpose of three piece Surlyn covered balls?

2»

Comments

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've always wondered why the 3-piece surlyn was made. Seemed particular odd with Callaway; the SuperSoft was 2-piece and then the SuperHot (normal and Costco) was 3-piece.

To me, the compression/softness always seemed like the biggest difference among these type of balls. It does seem like there is some difference in say the SuperSoft, SoftFeel, and Trusoft vs the cheapest surlyn balls with spin. However, I don't know if I am mistaking the feel/sound for how it's actually spinning.

That being said, I think the Titleist Velocity spins less than the Trusoft around the greens and they both seem to have a nicer feeling cover so I guess there are various factors here.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • LumpyPocketsLumpyPockets Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

I play a dead hands toe down basic putting motion chip shot. Just practiced on my carpet with a k3, Wilson Staff FG Tour, Pinnacle Rush, and Wilson Staff Duo Spin. My miss hit with this type of chip is typically short and it's very clear the surlyn balls are going further on my mishit than the urethane balls, which means a shorter putt as my short game miss in inevitably short. I think I'm going to go with some surlyn's for a bit and see how that works out.

In the Sun Mountain Three.Five aka The Bag of Shame:

XR 16 10.5*
    HiBore XLS 2 Wood
    Epic 5w
    Cleveland Launcher HB 4-SW
    O Works #7
  • pallmallpallmall Members Posts: 12 ✭✭

@LumpyPockets said:
    If the cover is low spin why bother with a mantle layer? There seems to be quite a few three piece ionomer covered balls out there and I'm dying to know why.

If soft Surlyn is used for a 2 piece ball, it can have less ball speed. Adding a hard mantle layer can help to gain some ball speed.
    If hard Surlyn is used for a 2 piece ball, it can have hard feel. Also, when core is too soft and cover is too hard, durability may be an issue. Adding a soft mantle can help with better feel and durability. Also spin performance will be much better than 2 piece Surlyn ball, especially in short game.

• MBBGMBBG Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@North Butte said:
    Well e6 (the original one and presumably the "soft" or "distance" ones now) doesn't spin a lick with any club. So if you want no spin and are too proud to play Pinnacles maybe it's a good choice.

As far as I can tell, Bridgestone's marketing is based on this thinking...

We're not going to get very far telling hackers, "You don't want a ProV1, you want a B330 that's just like a ProV1 except better".

So let's try something more like, "Hey, you can't hit that ProV1, you're not good enough. Try our e6 that's a totally different kind of ball no ProV1 player would be caught dead with".

Ever hear of the old pick-up artist term "negging"? That's the essence of Bridgestone's golf ball marketing.

You’ve said this for years, but the fact is that the old 3 piece E6 tested at the high end of the range for wedge spin amongst surlyn balls. The new 2 piece versions do not test well for wedge spin.

C9516038-64-CB-4415-BAF3-711-CE5-D3-CC74

EFSZ Triple Diamond 10.5 with HZRDUS Green  
    Taylormade Original One 13.5 HZRDUS Green 
    TEE CBX119 5 Wood with Evenflow White T1100
    Srixon U45 23* with Aerotech i95 S
    Srixon 585/785 combo set with Modus 105 
    Vokey Cold Forged 51/56*, PM Grind 60* Modus 125 Wedge
    Odyssey Works SaberTooth

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 18, 2019 10:14pm #36

I played about 50 rounds with the original e6. It did not spin a lick. Remarkably low on approach shots with mid-irons or even wedges. That's all I know. Can't speak to where that magazine came up with their own conclusions.

P.S. And at the time, Bridgestone advertised that it had less spin in order to fly straighter.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

granted urethane covers generate spin off the club face but isn’t there a factor too of the cover material and how it interacts with the green as well in terms of “bite” and check up ?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 12* | Even Flow Green 55
    Hybrids: Cobra King OS 3/4 | 4/5 | 5/6 | Recoil 460 ES
    Irons: Ping G700 6-UW | Modus 105
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Handicap: 10.5

• arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

@erock9174 said:
    granted urethane covers generate spin off the club face but isn’t there a factor too of the cover material and how it interacts with the green as well in terms of “bite” and check up ?

I wouldn't think so. The green isn't going to be able to generate enough friction to deform either a urethane or surlyn cover.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

I think friend erock is thinking of some of those really gritty finished matte Surlyn balls vs. the usual kind with the really smooth and shiny clearcoat of paint. Not sure it actually does make a difference but when you feel them it seems like there has to be some effect of that rough texture when checking up or rolling.

I tried some of the Volvik rough-matte-finish ones (I think it was Volvik) a couple years ago and could have sworn it was grabbing a little more on very short bump-and-run shots through the fringes.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 11:25am #40

Besides Wilson Duo Soft Spin, what are other similar balls in this 3 piece surlyn softer category? I know Volvik is. But, do not care for matte or very firm balls.

• arbeckarbeck SeattleMembers Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25 said:
    Besides Wilson Duo Soft Spin, what are other similar balls in this 3 piece surlyn softer category? I know Volvik is. But, do not care for matte or very firm balls.

The Callaway ERC Soft is a 3 piece surlyn ball. The TaylorMade Project S is two piece, but has a dual density core that makes it effectively 3 piece. The e6 was at one time a 3 piece.

Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Back when e6 was 3pc it had a quite high compression number IIRC. Maybe 85-90-ish?

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No chance the E6 was that high. I still have some '13s and they are my go to soft ball when my game is heading really south for the day.

@chippa13 said:
    No chance the E6 was that high. I still have some '13s and they are my go to soft ball when my game is heading really south for the day.

Just went and looked up some old compression "test" charts. The original e6 in 2006 was 76 on a "ATTI" tester. The e6 plus one year later was 73 on the same "ATTI".

So my memory was wrong, it was mid-70's and not mid-80's.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 9:32pm #45

@arbeck said:

@Tanner25 said:

The Callaway ERC Soft is a 3 piece surlyn ball. The TaylorMade Project S is two piece, but has a dual density core that makes it effectively 3 piece. The e6 was at one time a 3 piece.

I guess Callaway ERC Soft would be a good one if you can get past the higher cost, a good suggestion thx. What is the compression, 60?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file