Early morning golf

Comments

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Members Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭
    lchang wrote:

Dustin_J wrote:
    I play a fair amount by myself on weekdays, and the vast majority of the time it's the first tee time of the day. It's so nice to just be able to get out and go. The only thing I dislike is teeing off facing the rising sun and having no idea where your ball might be :-)

Isn’t there some golf architecture guideline (often not followed) that opening holes shouldn’t head East, and closing holes shouldn’t head West because of the sun?

You'd think they would think about that beforehand but often it isn't followed.

I played this morning and the 1st hole faces directly into the sun. Plus side, it's great when your partners don't see your first tee shot going ob
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-GW
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Scotty Cameron
  • kejoal11kejoal11 IYAOYAS!!! Yokosuka, JapanMembers Posts: 1,118 ✭✭
    My group always tees off before 7 and we are done in 3.5 hours. Love the morning walks and pace of play.
    In My Bag
    PING G400 Max 9* PX Hazardous T1100 6.5 75g
    TM SLDR TP 3W Fujikura Motore Speeder TSX 8.3
    TM SLDR TP 2H Matrix Black Tie 95HX
    TM P790 3-PW Modus 120X
    Vokey SM6 58*, 50*
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black/MTB-X
    #insideTMAG 2013
  • favre0811favre0811 Members Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    Usually have the first tee time every Saturday and Sunday, no one in front of us and playing at our pace. Rounds go fast and by the time i get home my wife and daughter are having breakfast and we got the whole day to do family stuff.
  • scooterboy59scooterboy59 Members Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have teed off as early as 6 am. Not my cup of tea. I am a middle of the day guy.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    First out is the best.
  • M910M910 Members Posts: 826 ✭✭
    That's late for my weekend group. We start at 6 and get home around the time the kids are finishing breakfast.
  • azkaevolutionazkaevolution Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the views that you guys are posting. Would never experience them myself. Just not a morning person.
    Callaway GBB (2015) 10.5*, KK Black TiNi 50 R
    Callaway XR 17*, Project X LZ 50 
    Callaway XR16 Steelhead 19* Hybrid, Matrix Ozik Program F15 65g
    Adams New Idea 25*, Bassara Eagle R-flex
    Mizuno 2016 JPX EZ Forged, 5i-PW TT XP95 R300
    Titleist SM7 Vokey 50.08 F Grind
    Titleist SM5 Vokey 54.10 M Grind
    Callaway MD2 Tour 58.09 T Grind
    Odyssey Versa Black 90 V-line Superstroke
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Living in Southern California if you want to be done by 1030 you have to be early otherwise it is going to be a long day

• Dustin_JDustin_J St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    lchang wrote:

Dustin_J wrote:
    I play a fair amount by myself on weekdays, and the vast majority of the time it's the first tee time of the day. It's so nice to just be able to get out and go. The only thing I dislike is teeing off facing the rising sun and having no idea where your ball might be :-)

Isn’t there some golf architecture guideline (often not followed) that opening holes shouldn’t head East, and closing holes shouldn’t head West because of the sun?

I've never paid attention to that, but I sure will from now on when thinking about courses to play 1st thing in the morning. Sometimes it's the simple things :-)
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 10, 2018 #41
    I like the idea of early morning dew sweeping rounds and I try to get out and play them. My issue is my brain body connection seems to be lacking at that hour of the day and I don't typically play my best.
  • pappaf2pappaf2 Members Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Poser wrote:

They don't let us off till 8am sucks....

I don't understand this. I noticed when I've played on the east coast a couple times places don't let you tee off much before 7:30 or 8am. Makes it hard to get in a round before my wife gets out of bed when we are on vacation.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    finleysg wrote:

rainkingjr wrote:

I much prefer playing early golf. Only downside is the course is usually wet and some of the staff on some courses just don't seem to know how to stay out of the way.

You're in their way -- they have work to do. If the shop let's players out too early, it takes them longer to get the course ready.

This times infinity.
  • howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love being out at first light. Don't mind playing later either, but many days it's the only way to get around in less than 4 hours or beat the heat.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm one less guy you all have to worry about competing for those early tee times. I detest early morning golf.

I dont enjoy the wet/dew covered grass and the clippings all over my shoes. Worse, although I'm an early riser, my body is way too stiff with various aches and pains at that time of the morning to play optimally.

My preference is mid-day tee times. This way I get the honey-do stuff out of the way early. When I'm done with golf it's happy-hour time. Couple of cocktails with the boys then off to dinner or whatever with the Mrs.
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I hear everyone on this post....and I enjoy early golf, midday golf and evening golf. What I don’t like? You guessed it: slow golf.
  • Bluefan75Bluefan75 Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love being out at first light. Don't mind playing later either, but many days it's the only way to get around in less than 4 hours or beat the heat.

Your second picture is the only thing I don't like about golf that early. Having to keep the clubs off the ground to keep the grip dry. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance if you forget.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like playing in the morning...but I can only afford twilight green fees. So it usually never happens.
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I get up early for is fishing and even then I still prefer to fish at night.... I like being the last guy out with no one behind me., at least I dont have to rake the bunkers.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 604 ClubWRX
    I love playing golf early... especially while on vacation... wake up early, play at a nice pace and get back while still getting to enjoy the rest of the day
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
    jwhite86 wrote:

I love playing golf early... especially while on vacation... wake up early, play at a nice pace and get back while still getting to enjoy the rest of the day

One day ill see of the wife lets me golf on vacation.... Early before she wakes up might be the only way!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,796 ClubWRX
    I don't like early morning golf for one reason: Dew. Can't stand there being dew EVERYWHERE in the morning!
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
    Obee wrote:

I don't like early morning golf for one reason: Dew. Can't stand there being dew EVERYWHERE in the morning!

Does help keep the clubs clean! A quick swipe through the grass and they are good as new!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was having a great few holes this morning teeing off at 7.30, this pic was on the 3rd hole.

• Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Quit posting pics of Balgownie damnit! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Too bad on the mixed up irons. Surely though with a lovely AM like that you soldier on. Choked down UDIs and full bore wedges.
  • scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & HoustonMembers Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    duffer987 wrote:

^Quit posting pics of Balgownie damnit! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Too bad on the mixed up irons. Surely though with a lovely AM like that you soldier on. Choked down UDIs and full bore wedges.

no I was in a very bad mood.

Hit 2 iron, 46 on 4, short right, bad chip bogey.

driver into bunker then up and down on 5 for birdie.

walked to 18

hit 3 wood way left and short, same with 7 iron picked ball up(lucky to find with my over the top angry swings) and went straight into the pro shop to see if they could measure my swing weights!
    • Taylormade M3 8.5* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

duffer987 wrote:

no I was in a very bad mood.

Hit 2 iron, 46 on 4, short right, bad chip bogey.

driver into bunker then up and down on 5 for birdie.

walked to 18

hit 3 wood way left and short, same with 7 iron picked ball up(lucky to find with my over the top angry swings) and went straight into the pro shop to see if they could measure my swing weights!

That really is pants. As a 900 Tour owner I've been watching that thread, hopefully it's sorted sooner rather than later.
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss early morning golf. When I lived in Santa Fe NM, I had a group that would get the first Saturday morning tee times, the end of June that was like 6:30 am. We would start hitting balls almost in the dark, tee off just as the sun was coming up, beautiful views..., and play 18 and be home by 11am.... My current club never sets the tee times before 8:00 am, that's way too late here in East Texas, we could be out there beating the heat, but no...
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Odyssey O'Works 2 ball, or Cleveland BRZ 2 or Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to play that early. Would make sneaking out a breeze if I were home by 9:30 to be with the kids. My only issue is my back simply cannot function at the level necessary that early in the morning. It takes me a few hours until I feel like I can swing freely. So, get up just before 6, put the heating pad on for 20 minutes, stretch, shower, stretch some more and head to the course for an 7:45-8am tee time. There's not typically too many people out ahead of us, and those that are, are usually trying to fly through the course to get home early.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 12, 2018 #60
    I walk 9 every morning and have enjoyed many wonderful sunrises:

• VaughanHVaughanH Members Posts: 7
    Absolutely beautiful picture.

I played a round today on the Saadiyat Beach Golf Club in Abu Dhabi. It's so hot here at the moment that I was forced to start at 6AM.

The temperature was a cool 33 degrees celcius.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file